Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sensible spending this time around 09:00 - Sep 2 with 2727 viewsbosh67

Looking at the balance sheet we have been pretty sensible this time around, especially compared to just about every other team around us. Sandro could be a real bargain. Not the £10m reported but closer to £6.5m. Fer certainly could be a bargain.

made a few mistakes half an hour ago but I think this is closer.

Remy £10.5m
Simpson £2.2m
Benayoun £750,000
Granero £4m

Total out - £17.45m

Robinson £1m
Sandro £6.5m
Fer £6m
Mutch £8m
McCarthy £4m
Caulker £8m Total in - £33.5m

Adjusted spend circa £16.05m (that's about a 6th of a Angel di Maria!)

Isla, Niko, Vargas are all loans. Ferdinand in on a free.

For once we've not gone mad.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2014 9:23]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sensible spending this time around on 17:11 - Sep 2 with 774 viewsbarabajagal

Sensible spending this time around on 13:39 - Sep 2 by Toast_R

Still a whopping amount for a club that struggles to find gate receipts for 18,000.
To think less then 10 years ago we were signing Zesh Rehman and Dexter Blackstock off the back of a 1M fee for Danny Shittu and putting faith in Chelsea's youth system and the talents of Lee Cook.

What was crazier times, those days or these days?

Lee Cook - Scored 6 in 6 for Barnet this season. I'm sure we all remember that he gave his signing on fee to us when he went to Fulham. I wonder if he ever got that back when he resigned. Shame about injury, could have become world class?
Sensible spending this time around on 17:26 - Sep 2 with 756 viewsbosh67

Sensible spending this time around on 17:11 - Sep 2 by barabajagal

Lee Cook - Scored 6 in 6 for Barnet this season. I'm sure we all remember that he gave his signing on fee to us when he went to Fulham. I wonder if he ever got that back when he resigned. Shame about injury, could have become world class?

Great to see him playing so well. At Barnet's level it must be like watching Zidane.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sensible spending this time around on 17:58 - Sep 2 with 722 viewsSomersetHoops

Sensible spending this time around on 12:20 - Sep 2 by loftboy

Was gong to say just having Remys and Cesar's wages off the books probably pays for 3-4 of the new signings, add on the likes of Andrew Johnson and JSP and our outgoings look a lot healthier.

We might not have Cesar on the books, but I suspect we paid him at least couple of mil. to FO. Also some of the deals have add-ons which will make the overall cost more. Nevertheless I still think the deals done should be right for QPR and I'm please Borini wasn't allowed to take our pants down.

I would really like Harry and the coaching and mind over matter team to properly evaluate what we have and make the best use of all our player resources. They have two weeks to mould them into a team, before they face a severe test. It may be unrealistic to base too much of an impression on the result at OT, but a good performance without any serious injuries would be good enough for me.

Who's Next?

Sensible spending this time around on 18:53 - Sep 2 with 687 viewsHunterhoop

Sensible spending this time around on 15:29 - Sep 2 by simmo

I think we will probably keep a holding player behind a midfield 3 and then re-arrange the 2 from there. Something like the below, with Adel allowed pretty much a free role and the 3 behind him to occupy the space he leaves. It means Fer can bomb forward and support with Sandro filling in behind (giggity) when he does.

----------Sandro--------
Barton / Fer / Mutch
--------Adel------------
--------------Austin----

To be honest you could play 4-2-3-1 with Hoilett and Phillips involved, play 2 behind Austin or stick Vargas up with him, we have so many options when everybody is fully fit.

You've got no width there though and too many midfielders being asked to do jobs they're not suited to. We can't fal
Sensible spending this time around on 18:54 - Sep 2 with 681 viewsHunterhoop

Sensible spending this time around on 15:29 - Sep 2 by simmo

I think we will probably keep a holding player behind a midfield 3 and then re-arrange the 2 from there. Something like the below, with Adel allowed pretty much a free role and the 3 behind him to occupy the space he leaves. It means Fer can bomb forward and support with Sandro filling in behind (giggity) when he does.

----------Sandro--------
Barton / Fer / Mutch
--------Adel------------
--------------Austin----

To be honest you could play 4-2-3-1 with Hoilett and Phillips involved, play 2 behind Austin or stick Vargas up with him, we have so many options when everybody is fully fit.

You've got no width there though and too many midfielders being asked to do jobs they're not suited to. We can't fall into the trap of trying to pick the best 11 players. Pick the shape, system and tactics which best fit the squad and then pick the best player for each position.

4-2-3-1 is our best shape. It also worked on Sat so stick with it.

Green
Isla Caulker Rio Hill
Barton Sandro
Vargas. Fer. Phillips
Austin

That's what I'd go with at Utd. Mutch and Hoilett can come on.

Pace, for teams who won't control possession, like us, is absolutely crucial, especially away from home. One of Phillips, Hoilett or Traore should always start to give us the option to counter at pace and stretch the opposition's defence.
Sensible spending this time around on 09:21 - Sep 3 with 593 viewssimmo

Sensible spending this time around on 18:54 - Sep 2 by Hunterhoop

You've got no width there though and too many midfielders being asked to do jobs they're not suited to. We can't fall into the trap of trying to pick the best 11 players. Pick the shape, system and tactics which best fit the squad and then pick the best player for each position.

Green
Isla Caulker Rio Hill
Barton Sandro
Vargas. Fer. Phillips
Austin

Pace, for teams who won't control possession, like us, is absolutely crucial, especially away from home. One of Phillips, Hoilett or Traore should always start to give us the option to counter at pace and stretch the opposition's defence.

I agree with you, Hunter, I would also play 4-2-3-1, I just think Harry will go with a formation close to the one I chose as he will play Fer, Mutch, Barton and Sandro whenever they are fit and available. I would also have Phillips and Hoilett/Traore playing when we are away from home, but I doubt Redknapp will want to exclude any of his own signings where possible.

It's not the worst problem to have though and our options in midfield could be enough to keep us in this league, if they are managed/implemented correctly.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Sensible spending this time around on 09:42 - Sep 3 with 571 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sensible spending this time around on 18:54 - Sep 2 by Hunterhoop

Green
Isla Caulker Rio Hill
Barton Sandro
Vargas. Fer. Phillips
Austin

Hate to say it, but the presence of Hill at full-back in that team worries me. Don't mind seeing him in the centre but sooner or later I think lack of pace at full-back will cost us. Apart from anything else, putting him up against some lightning fast winger 10 years younger than him, for all to watch on MoTD, doesn't strike me as that much of a reward for his loyalty.

Isla and Suk-Young at full-back? Or is that too attacking?
Sensible spending this time around on 10:15 - Sep 3 with 556 viewsDiscodroids

...this fee of £6.6 million ive seen mentioned in various newspapers and web sites for defoe, that harold seems so willing to stump up dosen't seem to sensible to me.

32 years old by the time he gets here in january. whats that in effective premiership longevity playing terms ??...12/18 months???

a shorter , sharper fix than a single mother on the Barking gascoine estate with baco foil and lily of the valley talc bottle .
[Post edited 3 Sep 2014 10:48]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Login to get fewer ads

Sensible spending this time around on 10:30 - Sep 3 with 531 viewsJamie

Have I missed something or have we now got someone posting as Discodroid, and
Discodroids talking to themself..
Sensible spending this time around on 10:47 - Sep 3 with 507 viewsDiscodroids

sorry jamie, i got a virus on my pc yesterday, and it wiped my passwords, and i couldnt remember it so i had to set up 'discodroids' discodroidz was taken!.

damn youre action man eagle eyes....

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Sensible spending this time around on 11:19 - Sep 3 with 481 viewsdanehoop

Sensible spending this time around on 10:47 - Sep 3 by Discodroids

sorry jamie, i got a virus on my pc yesterday, and it wiped my passwords, and i couldnt remember it so i had to set up 'discodroids' discodroidz was taken!.

damn youre action man eagle eyes....

I had just assumed it was a chemically induced multiple personality disorder.

Never knowingly understood

Sensible spending this time around on 11:43 - Sep 3 with 465 viewsTonto

Metro gave us 6/10 this morning.

I dont get how Man Utd buying 6 left backs and spunking £100M on Falcao (when he actually is bought rather than loaned) and Di Maria) when what they desperately need is a DM and 2 CBs qualifies them for higher marks than us.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Sensible spending this time around on 11:47 - Sep 3 with 461 viewsDiscodroids

Sensible spending this time around on 11:19 - Sep 3 by danehoop

I had just assumed it was a chemically induced multiple personality disorder.

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

Sensible spending this time around on 11:55 - Sep 3 with 455 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sensible spending this time around on 09:42 - Sep 3 by CiderwithRsie

Hate to say it, but the presence of Hill at full-back in that team worries me. Don't mind seeing him in the centre but sooner or later I think lack of pace at full-back will cost us. Apart from anything else, putting him up against some lightning fast winger 10 years younger than him, for all to watch on MoTD, doesn't strike me as that much of a reward for his loyalty.

Isla and Suk-Young at full-back? Or is that too attacking?

even Clint knows he can't play left back. Got away with it last weekend as he wasn't really attacked at pace and he sued his experience and Hoilett had a great game covering that side. You certainly couldn't do it with Niko in front of him. Doubt he'll play there other than the very, very rare occasion. He had to sub himself twice end of last season because he knew he hasn't got the legs for it anymore.

Bare bones.

Sensible spending this time around on 13:07 - Sep 3 with 423 viewssimmo

Sensible spending this time around on 11:43 - Sep 3 by Tonto

Metro gave us 6/10 this morning.

I dont get how Man Utd buying 6 left backs and spunking £100M on Falcao (when he actually is bought rather than loaned) and Di Maria) when what they desperately need is a DM and 2 CBs qualifies them for higher marks than us.

What you've done there is try to take a well rounded and informed result from the Metro. A paper that is the sporting knowledge equivalent of a man not being able to find his arsehole with both hands.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Sensible spending this time around on 13:14 - Sep 3 with 414 viewsHunterhoop

Sensible spending this time around on 11:55 - Sep 3 by Antti_Heinola

even Clint knows he can't play left back. Got away with it last weekend as he wasn't really attacked at pace and he sued his experience and Hoilett had a great game covering that side. You certainly couldn't do it with Niko in front of him. Doubt he'll play there other than the very, very rare occasion. He had to sub himself twice end of last season because he knew he hasn't got the legs for it anymore.

Agree with both you and cider on Hill, but I was putting the team I'd play vs. Utd up, not what I'd go with all season At Utd, we'll sit deep, which will help Hill. And he's got a better positional sense than Traore and more experience than Yun, so that's why I'd keep him there.

Completely agree though, med-long term it should be Yun or Traore, the latter who is better further up the pitch I feel.

I'd love to find a way to get Onouha in there, given I think he is a top notch "defender" but he's barely good enough on the ball on his right foot, let alone his left. I actually think Ned should take over from Rio in the medium term, as the season wears on, but I doubt it will happen.
Sensible spending this time around on 15:13 - Sep 3 with 386 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sensible spending this time around on 13:14 - Sep 3 by Hunterhoop

Agree with both you and cider on Hill, but I was putting the team I'd play vs. Utd up, not what I'd go with all season At Utd, we'll sit deep, which will help Hill. And he's got a better positional sense than Traore and more experience than Yun, so that's why I'd keep him there.

Completely agree though, med-long term it should be Yun or Traore, the latter who is better further up the pitch I feel.

I'd love to find a way to get Onouha in there, given I think he is a top notch "defender" but he's barely good enough on the ball on his right foot, let alone his left. I actually think Ned should take over from Rio in the medium term, as the season wears on, but I doubt it will happen.

Yun is 24 and just played in the world cup. he'll be ok.

Bare bones.

Sensible spending this time around on 15:50 - Sep 3 with 366 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sensible spending this time around on 13:14 - Sep 3 by Hunterhoop

Ah, I see, you're basing that team on a degree of knowledge of the opposing team. Whereas deep down I refuse to admit they exist so frankly know b*gger all about how they're likely to play or what the best counter-tactics might be.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024