Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sensible spending this time around 09:00 - Sep 2 with 2703 viewsbosh67

Looking at the balance sheet we have been pretty sensible this time around, especially compared to just about every other team around us. Sandro could be a real bargain. Not the £10m reported but closer to £6.5m. Fer certainly could be a bargain.

made a few mistakes half an hour ago but I think this is closer.

Remy £10.5m
Simpson £2.2m
Benayoun £750,000
Granero £4m

Total out - £17.45m

Robinson £1m
Sandro £6.5m
Fer £6m
Mutch £8m
McCarthy £4m
Caulker £8m Total in - £33.5m

Adjusted spend circa £16.05m (that's about a 6th of a Angel di Maria!)

Isla, Niko, Vargas are all loans. Ferdinand in on a free.

For once we've not gone mad.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2014 9:23]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sensible spending this time around on 09:03 - Sep 2 with 1922 viewsFearless

Caulker?
Sensible spending this time around on 09:04 - Sep 2 with 1915 viewsfakekerby

Lessons have been learned - last time out we would have caved in to Borini's demands and it says a lot that we really are going for the guys who want to be here.

It's not a disaster that we don't have a fourth striker - it's certainly not ideal but I think Vargas could surprise a few and Austin has it in him to get 15 goals if he stays fit.
Sensible spending this time around on 09:08 - Sep 2 with 1884 viewsBlue_Castello

Sensible spending this time around on 09:03 - Sep 2 by Fearless

Caulker?

Agreed - that's another £8 million but I've always had this gut feeling that Tony was working on a budget of a net spend of £20 million, so that's pretty close.
Sensible spending this time around on 12:15 - Sep 2 with 1675 viewsSpiritofGregory

Spending also includes wages.
Sensible spending this time around on 12:20 - Sep 2 with 1667 viewsdolcelatte

Loan fees?

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Sensible spending this time around on 12:20 - Sep 2 with 1665 viewsloftboy

Sensible spending this time around on 12:15 - Sep 2 by SpiritofGregory

Was gong to say just having Remys and Cesar's wages off the books probably pays for 3-4 of the new signings, add on the likes of Andrew Johnson and JSP and our outgoings look a lot healthier.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Sensible spending this time around on 12:23 - Sep 2 with 1647 viewspomanjou

At a conservative average £30k a week for the 25 chosen few that £39,000,000 wages a season. Add some win bonuses and its north of £60m for the year inc the capital spend.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Sensible spending this time around on 12:34 - Sep 2 with 1590 viewsHunterhoop

Fer was £8m and Mutch was £6m, bosh.

Sorry, being picky.
Login to get fewer ads

Sensible spending this time around on 12:50 - Sep 2 with 1537 viewsozexile

Thank heavens we didn't pay that money for Borini. How on earth that come up with that figure and he comes up with those wage demands heaven only knows. Rather see us in the first division than spend that.
Sensible spending this time around on 12:53 - Sep 2 with 1531 viewsadhoc_qpr

Much more sensible in terms of fees, player demographic and wages too.

Missing out on a striker could be a complete disaster or we could barely notice if Austin stays fit and bangs in 10 goals by January.

Also in players like Vargas, Phillips, Hoillett, Mutch and even Caulker we have players who should be able to contribute more goals anyway.

Sandro is the signing that intrigues me the most - if he is fit and on form he could transform our team.
Sensible spending this time around on 13:12 - Sep 2 with 1467 viewsexiled_dictator

simpson was £2m
benny was free i believe
granero was also £2m

i think sandro will be a good buy, and it would appear that thems that pull the strings have learned from the theft that was mark hughes. more sensible buys, i hope, in the long run.
shame that we couldn't clear out one or two more.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Sensible spending this time around on 13:17 - Sep 2 with 1454 viewsMrSheen

Apologies if Spackman, but apparently we finished 20th and last this window. No mention of Fer, Mutch, Isla and Vargas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11069295/P
Sensible spending this time around on 13:22 - Sep 2 with 1440 viewsrichpr

Agree - sensibly building a very strong team.

Still 1 short upfront and need a good left back.

If we had got Defoe it would have guaranteed our safety as he would have got 15 goals min.

Thought we looked quite strong going forward last week - don't know why Sunderland thought they were so unlucky? Maybe I've got those rose-tinted glasses.

Loved Isla - showed up Phillips lack of fitness as was always running past him
Fer - got better as game went on - strong on the ball
Barton - generally excellent

Better than all the doom and gloom last week esp. on LFW and looks like the Harry haters have gone back into their cages for a while!
Sensible spending this time around on 13:25 - Sep 2 with 1428 viewsexiled_dictator

Sensible spending this time around on 13:22 - Sep 2 by richpr

If we had got Defoe it would have guaranteed our safety as he would have got 15 goals min.

Thought we looked quite strong going forward last week - don't know why Sunderland thought they were so unlucky? Maybe I've got those rose-tinted glasses.

Better than all the doom and gloom last week esp. on LFW and looks like the Harry haters have gone back into their cages for a while!

concede a goal, and there will be a cream fest.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Sensible spending this time around on 13:39 - Sep 2 with 1393 viewsToast_R

Still a whopping amount for a club that struggles to find gate receipts for 18,000.
To think less then 10 years ago we were signing Zesh Rehman and Dexter Blackstock off the back of a 1M fee for Danny Shittu and putting faith in Chelsea's youth system and the talents of Lee Cook.

What was crazier times, those days or these days?
Sensible spending this time around on 14:10 - Sep 2 with 1347 viewssimmo

I would have liked to have kept Simpson, as I think that we are short onm genuine back up at RB and we know he can do that job so efficiently, but by keeping the players I wanted us to - like Nedum, Phillips, etc and adding one excellent signing for the first 11 in Sandro and another proven squad player in Kranjcar, I think this deadline day was a great end to the best summer of business I can ever remember from this club.

Fer, Mutch, Caulker, McCarthy, Sandro, Isla and Vargas are all young, hungry players with plenty to prove that can add value to the first team now as well as improving and having sell on value in the future. We won;t have a problem commanding a fee for any of them should we need to sell and in the mean time, they can form the bedrock of an established premiership team, adding to other young players like Phillips, Austin, Hoilett and YSY. Robinson also shows we are giving some thought to what happens in 2-3 years time rather than right now, somethign I have heavily critisized Harry for in the past.

Add the more experienced Kranjcar and Ferdinand to the current old heads of Barton, Hill, Dunne, Green and Zamora who Redknapp and the premiership know all about, it's a great mix.

I think this shows Fernandes did actually learn some lessons from last time and stuck with his principles and limits, even when the Borini deal was there to be done, he turned it down. It may leave us a bit short up front but I would rather be short up front then pay a large transfer fee and overly inflated wages to somebody whose motivation was obviously more financial than it should have been.

Well done to all involved, a brilliant selection of signings I would have happily gone out and bought myself (and readily do when I start a FIFA career).

Also - Adel Taarabt, so pleased he's still here! Whatever you want to say about him he could easily be the difference in games this season, no doubt he will get us points on his own when on song.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Sensible spending this time around on 14:17 - Sep 2 with 1332 viewsMarc

Where has that fee for Benyoun been plucked from?
Sensible spending this time around on 14:20 - Sep 2 with 1318 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sensible spending this time around on 13:22 - Sep 2 by richpr

Defoe would not have got 15 goals min. We got a very lucky escape there. 1 goal in his last 26 Prem outings for Spurs.

As for the OP - all fair, but loan fees have been omitted and will not be cheap for those players.

Pleased with the business we've done, barring one or two quibbles, but you can't have complete satisfaction.

So Harry has no excuses this season?

Bare bones.

Sensible spending this time around on 14:26 - Sep 2 with 1302 viewsadhoc_qpr

Sensible spending this time around on 13:17 - Sep 2 by MrSheen

Apologies if Spackman, but apparently we finished 20th and last this window. No mention of Fer, Mutch, Isla and Vargas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11069295/P

That's outrageous (especially given it's all speculation at this stage).

Villa get a 7/10 for signing 'experience' in Aly Cissokho, Phillipe Senderos and Kieran Richardson (i'd say proven failure if anything...)

As do Stoke for signing Phil Bardsley, Steve Sidwell and Victor Moses...

But we get 5/10 as the players we have signed may not be physically and mentally up for it? Very harsh given we seem to have paid a lot more attention to signing players who want to come, the manager knows their character and aren't just chasing the pay.
Sensible spending this time around on 15:03 - Sep 2 with 1233 viewsHunterhoop

Sensible spending this time around on 14:10 - Sep 2 by simmo

I would have liked to have kept Simpson, as I think that we are short onm genuine back up at RB and we know he can do that job so efficiently, but by keeping the players I wanted us to - like Nedum, Phillips, etc and adding one excellent signing for the first 11 in Sandro and another proven squad player in Kranjcar, I think this deadline day was a great end to the best summer of business I can ever remember from this club.

Fer, Mutch, Caulker, McCarthy, Sandro, Isla and Vargas are all young, hungry players with plenty to prove that can add value to the first team now as well as improving and having sell on value in the future. We won;t have a problem commanding a fee for any of them should we need to sell and in the mean time, they can form the bedrock of an established premiership team, adding to other young players like Phillips, Austin, Hoilett and YSY. Robinson also shows we are giving some thought to what happens in 2-3 years time rather than right now, somethign I have heavily critisized Harry for in the past.

Add the more experienced Kranjcar and Ferdinand to the current old heads of Barton, Hill, Dunne, Green and Zamora who Redknapp and the premiership know all about, it's a great mix.

I think this shows Fernandes did actually learn some lessons from last time and stuck with his principles and limits, even when the Borini deal was there to be done, he turned it down. It may leave us a bit short up front but I would rather be short up front then pay a large transfer fee and overly inflated wages to somebody whose motivation was obviously more financial than it should have been.

Well done to all involved, a brilliant selection of signings I would have happily gone out and bought myself (and readily do when I start a FIFA career).

Also - Adel Taarabt, so pleased he's still here! Whatever you want to say about him he could easily be the difference in games this season, no doubt he will get us points on his own when on song.

Agree, Simmo.

More and more happy with the signings made and delighted we avoided both Defoe and Borini if they wanted the £90k quoted for both.

Really liked both Sandro and Kranjcar's interviews.

Interesting who is in the central midfield 3 at Utd:

Barton, Fer, Mutch, Sandro, Kranjcar.

Presumably two from Hoilett, Vargas, Phillips, Adel, Kranjcar and possibly Traore wide, with Austin up top.

Away from home I'd definitely keep Phillips in the team for his pace on the counter.
Sensible spending this time around on 15:07 - Sep 2 with 1221 viewsrobith

Sensible spending this time around on 14:20 - Sep 2 by Antti_Heinola

Defoe would not have got 15 goals min. We got a very lucky escape there. 1 goal in his last 26 Prem outings for Spurs.

As for the OP - all fair, but loan fees have been omitted and will not be cheap for those players.

Pleased with the business we've done, barring one or two quibbles, but you can't have complete satisfaction.

So Harry has no excuses this season?

In fact Defoe only scored more than 13 league goals in 2 seasons - 00/01 at Bournemouth and 09/10 at Spurs
Sensible spending this time around on 15:29 - Sep 2 with 1165 viewssimmo

Sensible spending this time around on 15:03 - Sep 2 by Hunterhoop

Agree, Simmo.

More and more happy with the signings made and delighted we avoided both Defoe and Borini if they wanted the £90k quoted for both.

Really liked both Sandro and Kranjcar's interviews.

Interesting who is in the central midfield 3 at Utd:

Barton, Fer, Mutch, Sandro, Kranjcar.

Presumably two from Hoilett, Vargas, Phillips, Adel, Kranjcar and possibly Traore wide, with Austin up top.

Away from home I'd definitely keep Phillips in the team for his pace on the counter.

I think we will probably keep a holding player behind a midfield 3 and then re-arrange the 2 from there. Something like the below, with Adel allowed pretty much a free role and the 3 behind him to occupy the space he leaves. It means Fer can bomb forward and support with Sandro filling in behind (giggity) when he does.

----------Sandro--------
Barton / Fer / Mutch
--------Adel------------
--------------Austin----

To be honest you could play 4-2-3-1 with Hoilett and Phillips involved, play 2 behind Austin or stick Vargas up with him, we have so many options when everybody is fully fit.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Sensible spending this time around on 16:47 - Sep 2 with 1091 viewsPinnerPaul

Sensible spending this time around on 12:15 - Sep 2 by SpiritofGregory

If we're stating the bleeding obvious - we've saved the wages of the players who've left.

Caesar for example!!!!
Sensible spending this time around on 16:51 - Sep 2 with 1079 viewsdaveB

Sensible spending this time around on 13:17 - Sep 2 by MrSheen

Bit harsh on us that article but the recent Spurs game didn't show us in a good light so understandable
Sensible spending this time around on 16:52 - Sep 2 with 1076 viewsthemodfather

some good signings, who knows what clauses are in contracts...??
whatever we have spent is vast based on 18k gates, but as we know tv money and sponsors deals make up much of our income.
we still have that shower SWP on our books, that's a reported £60k a week for nothing!
no wonder we couldn't afford borini! swp and adel look lost for us yet could be costing £100k a week, there's borini done and dusted , IF WE LOSE EM
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024