Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We never get a look in with Sterling 13:37 - Sep 9 with 2537 viewsWestbourneR

There isn't a single person I know outside of Rangers fans who seems to know that we produced Raheem Sterling and they nicked him off us.

The media never mention it, even when they're doing a full feature article on the kid.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

We never get a look in with Sterling on 13:43 - Sep 9 with 2512 viewssimmo

It's the same for everyone - John Stones played for England last night in a European qualifier and just 2 seasons ago he was playing for Barnsley after coming through their academy. Lallana is hailed as another Saints prodcuts, which he is to a degree, but only after coming through Bournemouths centre of excellence.

Ultimately there's only so much credit you can give to QPR for Sterling, we did brilliantly with him up to 14 years of age but recently under Brenton Rodgers have seen him make huge leaps that he probably wouldnt have made under the farce of QPR in the last 5 years

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

We never get a look in with Sterling on 13:44 - Sep 9 with 2501 viewsdanehoop

We never get a look in with Sterling on 13:43 - Sep 9 by simmo

It's the same for everyone - John Stones played for England last night in a European qualifier and just 2 seasons ago he was playing for Barnsley after coming through their academy. Lallana is hailed as another Saints prodcuts, which he is to a degree, but only after coming through Bournemouths centre of excellence.

Ultimately there's only so much credit you can give to QPR for Sterling, we did brilliantly with him up to 14 years of age but recently under Brenton Rodgers have seen him make huge leaps that he probably wouldnt have made under the farce of QPR in the last 5 years

Thought we nicked off someone else though, possibly Watford?

Never knowingly understood

We never get a look in with Sterling on 13:58 - Sep 9 with 2459 viewsJuzzie

Didn't Leighton Baines start off at Wigan? Spent 5 years there I think yet watching MoTD/Sky etc you'd think he came through their ranks the way they completely ignore where he came from.

Little clubs = nothing to the media but without them, a lot of players simply wouldn't be where they are today.
We never get a look in with Sterling on 14:01 - Sep 9 with 2443 viewsMrSheen

This guy's career path is extraordinary. Ikechi Anya, scored for Scotland the other night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikechi_Anya
We never get a look in with Sterling on 14:23 - Sep 9 with 2363 viewsngbqpr

Sterling gets a lot of mentions in an excellent book I read recently about scouts, The Nowhere Men (written, I think, by Michael Colvin?) - don't think we nicked him off anyone judging by that

I read somewhere we got £600k for him. I often wonder whether that was it, or was it an "initial fee" - I keep hoping to read a story saying that with each successive achievement he makes we get more dosh, but I fear that isn't the case...

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

We never get a look in with Sterling on 14:27 - Sep 9 with 2351 viewsJuzzie

We never get a look in with Sterling on 14:23 - Sep 9 by ngbqpr

Sterling gets a lot of mentions in an excellent book I read recently about scouts, The Nowhere Men (written, I think, by Michael Colvin?) - don't think we nicked him off anyone judging by that

I read somewhere we got £600k for him. I often wonder whether that was it, or was it an "initial fee" - I keep hoping to read a story saying that with each successive achievement he makes we get more dosh, but I fear that isn't the case...

I think it's a typo, knowing our transfer deals it's "we paid Liverpool £600k with add-ons"
We never get a look in with Sterling on 14:37 - Sep 9 with 2309 viewshoof_hearted

If he's stayed with us he'd have been boo'd off the pitch for being too lightweight and not passing it often enough.
We never get a look in with Sterling on 14:54 - Sep 9 with 2258 viewsSomersetHoops

Why should we worry? Its a negative story for QPR as we sold him for little money instead of breaking him into our first team. It led the way to the situation where none of our youngsters ever get a real chance at QPR any more and now we are threatened with FFP fines. Does anyone else see the connection?

Who's Next?

Login to get fewer ads

We never get a look in with Sterling on 15:21 - Sep 9 with 2197 viewsWestbourneR

Come on we'd have loved him! I thought he was just about to get his debut when Liverpool took him...?

London is a good catchment area, I'd love to see us producing players again. The dismantling / decline of our academy was one of the saddest things about us going bust.

It is a very unpredictable science though. Chelsea have spent a lot with almost no end product, Terry was coming through before Abramovich bought them.

Whatever Soton are doing they're doing right.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

We never get a look in with Sterling on 15:55 - Sep 9 with 2131 viewsbob566

We never get a look in with Sterling on 14:01 - Sep 9 by MrSheen

This guy's career path is extraordinary. Ikechi Anya, scored for Scotland the other night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikechi_Anya

fascinating read MrSheen. He's had a lot of put downs but the self belief to keep on going. Even when he couldn't get a club he went to the glen hoddle academy and worked hard.

never gave up and scored away to germany. Stuff of dreams.

Could easily have been a thrown in the towel and settled for a life of making rap videos about tea.
We never get a look in with Sterling on 16:11 - Sep 9 with 2097 viewsMedwayR

Chelsea have a great academy but never give their players an opportunity to play, Southampton do and that makes a huge difference. It also impacts upon England, consider where the recent & next generation of England players have/will have spent their time growing up:

Hart - Shrewsbury Town
Forster - Newcaste Utd
Foster - Racing Club Warwick, Stoke & a lot of lower league loans
Ruddy - Cambridge Utd

Johnson - West Ham
Walker - Sheffield Utd
Smalling - Maidstone Utd
Stones - Barnsley
Chambers - Southampton
Jagielka - Sheffield Utd
Cahill - Aston Villa
Jones - Blackburn
Baines - Wigan
Shaw - Southampton
Gibbs - Arsenal

Oxlade-Chamberlain - Southampton
Zaha - Crystal Palace
Sterling - QPR
Gerrard - Liverpool
Lampard - West Ham
Wilshere - Arsenal
Barkley - Everton
Delph - Leeds Utd
Milner - Leeds Utd
Lallana - Southampton (Bournemouth)
Shelvey - Charlton Ahletic
Henderson - Sunderland
Townsend - Spurs (& a lot of lower league loans)

Rooney - Everton
Sturridge - Man City (before they had rich owners)
Welbeck - Man Utd
Lambert - Released by Liverpool a 15 then over a decade in the lower leagues
Berahino - WBA
Wickham - Ipswich Town

I'm sure that list could grow significantly but the pattern probably wouldn't change, the big/rich clubs & even the upper prem lge do not produce many players for England, a lot of them stem from the football league although not many of the England U16's-U19's, even the U21's do not have many football league players in the squad. So does the England set-up exclude lower league players at a young age or do the most talented players of their age group not progress due to a lack of opportunities at their clubs. I believe it's the latter & a problem that the FA need to get on top of, although not with the ridiculous B league!!

Poll: Who’s better?

We never get a look in with Sterling on 16:34 - Sep 9 with 2034 viewsDANRANGER

if this is to be believed and I'm sure I recall it to be so then we have some good clauses on Sterling.

http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/liverpool-news-coverage/2014/6/19/5823806/r

Paladini is quoted though!!!!!
We never get a look in with Sterling on 09:35 - Sep 10 with 1589 viewsGloryHunter

Is it just me, or did Sterling not show a few SWP characteristics for England on Monday? Running straight into defenders?, passing to an imaginary player on the touchline? Keep an eye on him - he might have peaked.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2014 9:36]
We never get a look in with Sterling on 10:24 - Sep 10 with 1550 viewsmakaveli1882

I've heard it a number of times that he came through the ranks at Rangers during games... but how many times can they mention it? and why mention it?

Poole have been mentioned a few times due to Charlie, and a lot was mentioned of Ricky Lamberts progress through the leagues last year.

Also a lot of training and coaching would have been done through Liverpool since he left us at 14 ..... it was a good move for him to go there and one that paid off unlike Dean Parrot
We never get a look in with Sterling on 10:44 - Sep 10 with 1532 viewsTacticalR

We never get a look in with Sterling on 16:34 - Sep 9 by DANRANGER

if this is to be believed and I'm sure I recall it to be so then we have some good clauses on Sterling.

http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/liverpool-news-coverage/2014/6/19/5823806/r

Paladini is quoted though!!!!!

Were those clauses in the original paperwork, or did Paladini add them in retrospectively with his magic pen?

Air hostess clique

We never get a look in with Sterling on 11:14 - Sep 10 with 1510 viewsCiderwithRsie

There was this excellent piece emphasising his West London background with direct quotes from Steve Gallen

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/raheem-sterlings-alre
We never get a look in with Sterling on 13:39 - Sep 10 with 1412 viewsthemodfather

be fair, raheem is a scouse, born scouse and always been scouse!
why let little ol' qpr get a mention....
We never get a look in with Sterling on 06:32 - Sep 11 with 1189 viewstimcocking

That's because the media are kants.

The fee he'd be worth (although we'd only get 10 mil) would be able to pay off the ffp bollox threat on it's own.

They're all against us, fukkers.
We never get a look in with Sterling on 07:37 - Sep 11 with 1159 viewsLoft1979

We never get a look in with Sterling on 06:32 - Sep 11 by timcocking

That's because the media are kants.

The fee he'd be worth (although we'd only get 10 mil) would be able to pay off the ffp bollox threat on it's own.

They're all against us, fukkers.

Consider Bale in this talk of sell on fees. IF Real come for Sterling as has been rumored..How much are we talking about? 50m or even higher.

That as well said is a huge net for QPR.
We never get a look in with Sterling on 16:47 - Sep 16 with 951 viewsTacticalR

We should have insisted on a clause in his contract stating that QPR should be mentioned every time Sterling is mentioned.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024