Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 00:27 - Sep 15 with 4348 viewsRed_Ranger

That's not football club, it's just a very very big business.
Sad place full of tourists, half n half scarfs and a load of nightclub bouncers wearing hi viz jackets.
You can see why a load of their fans fkkd off to start FCManchester or what ever it's called.
Good luck to them.
If that's where all football is going - no thanks.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 6:55]
Just back on 20:15 - Sep 15 with 975 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Just back on 19:40 - Sep 15 by Rblock_James

I'd take league one over the premier league any day.

It's fcuking w@nk. Getting dicked by all the "big" teams. Yeah brilliant.

The sooner they all fcuk off into a euro league the better.

I had half of South Korea with me on the train back.

Bollocks to a new stadium and modern football.

My favourite post.

Did you you get a semi when conference football was discussed last week as well.

I had a full on rager.
Just back on 20:26 - Sep 15 with 956 viewsDeano19766

Couldn't agree with you more. I do wonder how on earth people who followed football before the advent of the Premiershite manage to continue going now to watch this nonsense (not just R's fans but fans of all clubs). It is a complete and utter w~nkfest

By the telly for the telly
[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 20:30]
Just back on 20:55 - Sep 15 with 923 viewsclassof93

Just back on 20:26 - Sep 15 by Deano19766

Couldn't agree with you more. I do wonder how on earth people who followed football before the advent of the Premiershite manage to continue going now to watch this nonsense (not just R's fans but fans of all clubs). It is a complete and utter w~nkfest

By the telly for the telly
[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 20:30]

Although i agree with a lot of the comments on modern football, I often think people seem to think things were great before the premiership. People forget about the hooliganism, racism and violence - it wasn't that good. To be fair the tv coverage is very good for football fans now. There was one televised game a week before. Also you are not forced to watch sky sports news or pay for sky for that matter. The main issue is the prices - it is just too expensive for all clubs. If the prices were more reasonable then i think a lot of people may not be so fed up. Then again nobody is forced to go......and if fans did stop then this premiership brand wouldn't look so great with empty stadiums. It would just be the man utds, arsenals and chelsea that would still be relatively full with the tourist and plastic "customers". If no people went to the other grounds then the wages would also have to fall.
Just back on 21:15 - Sep 15 with 899 viewsytt28

Did you go to the play off final? You must have been totally pi$$ed off when Bobby scored, it must have totally ruined your summer and beyond eh.
Just back on 08:23 - Sep 16 with 804 viewsBushman

Just back on 21:15 - Sep 15 by ytt28

Did you go to the play off final? You must have been totally pi$$ed off when Bobby scored, it must have totally ruined your summer and beyond eh.

Yeah.....great day out,everyone and their dog..havent been since 82..Sad fact it was a trophy for coming 3rd in the old 2nd division.

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Just back on 10:50 - Sep 17 with 671 viewssaxbend

Just back on 20:55 - Sep 15 by classof93

Although i agree with a lot of the comments on modern football, I often think people seem to think things were great before the premiership. People forget about the hooliganism, racism and violence - it wasn't that good. To be fair the tv coverage is very good for football fans now. There was one televised game a week before. Also you are not forced to watch sky sports news or pay for sky for that matter. The main issue is the prices - it is just too expensive for all clubs. If the prices were more reasonable then i think a lot of people may not be so fed up. Then again nobody is forced to go......and if fans did stop then this premiership brand wouldn't look so great with empty stadiums. It would just be the man utds, arsenals and chelsea that would still be relatively full with the tourist and plastic "customers". If no people went to the other grounds then the wages would also have to fall.

The TV coverage is very good for TV viewers. It's disastrous for football fans.

When there was a lot less TV coverage - just a highlights programme in the evening, and maybe the occasional live game fans would go to the games, listen to the radio on the way home, watch the news on telly when they got in for any scores they missed, or wait until Match of the Day. The focus would be on the match day, going to the game, watching the game and then coming home. Now it's not about that. Most people who call themselves football fans don't have a clue what a football fan is. It's now possible to sit at home and watch all kinds of matches on telly without ever having the slightest idea of what a match day is about.

I know I watch games on streams when Rangers aren't playing, and sometimes I even find them entertaining and I like to do my bit to undermine the broadcasters, but if it weren't for TV, most games would be taking place at the same time. I wouldn't worry about not being able to watch other games because I'd be busy watching QPR, and if I couldn't make it to a particular game I could still hear updates on all the games taking place by listening to the radio (or in a present day universe without football coverage but with the internet, I could follow coverage online).

I hear the argument that football before Sky had massive racism and hooligan problems, but the implication that TV was a catalyst in clearing those problems up is not a fair one. Who's to say that football culture wouldn't have sorted itself out anyway without extra exposure on television? I suspect it would have followed the political trends taking hold at the time rather than clung on as a last retreat for objectionable behaviour. We certainly have evidence of the converse - look at Spain - just as much damage done to their football league by television, and yet they still have massive racism problems.

Would we have inflated wages without TV money for the Premier League and Champions League? No.

Would clubs therefore be driving up ticket prices to keep up with the arms race for higher wages? No.

Would we normally be able to rely on a match kicking off at the time promised by the fixture list on the day it's announced without TV schedule interference? Yes, normally.

Would we see clubs drifting apart on the scale of financial means in a self-perpetuating cycle based on who just happened to be winning trophies at the time the money came in? Not as much.

Would every club have a non-negligible chance of silverware at the start of each season? Possibly. Certainly a good chunk of them would.

Would we have to put up with morons who picked a team to like off the telly with whom they have no connection? Rarely.

Would some clubs be given so much coverage in the media that the rest are perceived not to matter at all, or even exist, by their lack of coverage in comparison to the overhyped minority in a way that they wouldn't be were football hardly covered at all? Unlikely.

Would people who just aren't into football have a lot more time for football fans as a result of it not being rammed down their throats all the time, and certainly not forced upon them in such a narrow unbalanced way? I expect so.

If you want to label something as everything that's wrong with football, it's definitely not QPR. I'm not even sure it would be entirely accurate to say it's Man United - though they certainly are afflicted with the full set of symptoms. I'd say that everything that's wrong with football can be attributed to Sky and TV coverage in general.
Just back on 13:26 - Sep 17 with 606 viewsDeano19766

Just back on 10:50 - Sep 17 by saxbend

The TV coverage is very good for TV viewers. It's disastrous for football fans.

When there was a lot less TV coverage - just a highlights programme in the evening, and maybe the occasional live game fans would go to the games, listen to the radio on the way home, watch the news on telly when they got in for any scores they missed, or wait until Match of the Day. The focus would be on the match day, going to the game, watching the game and then coming home. Now it's not about that. Most people who call themselves football fans don't have a clue what a football fan is. It's now possible to sit at home and watch all kinds of matches on telly without ever having the slightest idea of what a match day is about.

I know I watch games on streams when Rangers aren't playing, and sometimes I even find them entertaining and I like to do my bit to undermine the broadcasters, but if it weren't for TV, most games would be taking place at the same time. I wouldn't worry about not being able to watch other games because I'd be busy watching QPR, and if I couldn't make it to a particular game I could still hear updates on all the games taking place by listening to the radio (or in a present day universe without football coverage but with the internet, I could follow coverage online).

I hear the argument that football before Sky had massive racism and hooligan problems, but the implication that TV was a catalyst in clearing those problems up is not a fair one. Who's to say that football culture wouldn't have sorted itself out anyway without extra exposure on television? I suspect it would have followed the political trends taking hold at the time rather than clung on as a last retreat for objectionable behaviour. We certainly have evidence of the converse - look at Spain - just as much damage done to their football league by television, and yet they still have massive racism problems.

Would we have inflated wages without TV money for the Premier League and Champions League? No.

Would clubs therefore be driving up ticket prices to keep up with the arms race for higher wages? No.

Would we normally be able to rely on a match kicking off at the time promised by the fixture list on the day it's announced without TV schedule interference? Yes, normally.

Would we see clubs drifting apart on the scale of financial means in a self-perpetuating cycle based on who just happened to be winning trophies at the time the money came in? Not as much.

Would every club have a non-negligible chance of silverware at the start of each season? Possibly. Certainly a good chunk of them would.

Would we have to put up with morons who picked a team to like off the telly with whom they have no connection? Rarely.

Would some clubs be given so much coverage in the media that the rest are perceived not to matter at all, or even exist, by their lack of coverage in comparison to the overhyped minority in a way that they wouldn't be were football hardly covered at all? Unlikely.

Would people who just aren't into football have a lot more time for football fans as a result of it not being rammed down their throats all the time, and certainly not forced upon them in such a narrow unbalanced way? I expect so.

If you want to label something as everything that's wrong with football, it's definitely not QPR. I'm not even sure it would be entirely accurate to say it's Man United - though they certainly are afflicted with the full set of symptoms. I'd say that everything that's wrong with football can be attributed to Sky and TV coverage in general.

Top post
Just back on 15:03 - Sep 17 with 572 viewsLoftusRdW12

"I'd say that everything that's wrong with football can be attributed to Sky and TV coverage in general".

And Harry Redknapp of course!

Seriously. Excellent post.

"I still don't know who scored our first and third goals. I'll have a look tonight." Neil Warnock

Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 15:11 - Sep 17 with 564 viewsLoft1979

Just back on 13:26 - Sep 17 by Deano19766

Top post

plus plus
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024