Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris 15:37 - Sep 15 with 5582 viewsNov77

Anyone who has to drive regularly through London really should read this...

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cycling/eastwest

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Boris on 13:46 - Sep 17 with 902 viewsQPunkR

Boris on 13:43 - Sep 17 by willis1980

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

I thought that was Clive?

QPR - "shit but local"

Boris on 14:39 - Sep 17 with 881 viewsJuzzie

Boris on 12:58 - Sep 17 by Clive_Anderson

No cars on the road means buses would be half decent rather than being caught in traffic for hours on end. Also no cars means loads more bikes on the road as well. Could even bring back trams too as it has worked well in other cities.

Having everyone sitting in traffic jams in their own metal boxes every day seems completely mental to me.

Last year I went from north London (Camden area) to south London (Dulwich area) pretty much as the crow flies right through central London as there was no congestion charge. The traffic was bad, very bad and what was causing all the hold ups?...... buses. Not cars, buses. Hundreds of them. A lot were half empty, on a Saturday, in central London.

They couldn't get around the streets properly being too big, they were half in and half out of the bus-stop bays, they got held up getting around road works and because they were all driver-only, they'd wait for ages at each stop collecting fares as passengers got on. They'd drive 30s to 1m to the next stop then be sitting there for another 3-5 mins doing the same again.

As said, if the public transport system is vastly improved it could get people out of their cars but I just can't see that improvement happening, sadly.
Boris on 15:25 - Sep 17 with 865 viewskensalriser

Boris on 13:46 - Sep 17 by QPunkR

I thought that was Clive?

It certainly wasn't Einstein, there's no evidence to say it was, it's just a modern myth.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Boris on 16:35 - Sep 17 with 838 viewsloftboy

Boris on 18:32 - Sep 16 by wombat

Didn't somebody who posts on here get taken out last season after a game by a the law dosnt apply to me cyclist ?

My daughter after the Swansea debacle, broke her toe and had to have an operation to pin it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Boris on 17:08 - Sep 17 with 825 viewsColombiR

Boris on 14:39 - Sep 17 by Juzzie

Last year I went from north London (Camden area) to south London (Dulwich area) pretty much as the crow flies right through central London as there was no congestion charge. The traffic was bad, very bad and what was causing all the hold ups?...... buses. Not cars, buses. Hundreds of them. A lot were half empty, on a Saturday, in central London.

They couldn't get around the streets properly being too big, they were half in and half out of the bus-stop bays, they got held up getting around road works and because they were all driver-only, they'd wait for ages at each stop collecting fares as passengers got on. They'd drive 30s to 1m to the next stop then be sitting there for another 3-5 mins doing the same again.

As said, if the public transport system is vastly improved it could get people out of their cars but I just can't see that improvement happening, sadly.

This is a classic argument I have with Colombians who are far more obsessed with their cars than Brits. It's a status thing. (You think London traffic's bad – wait till you see Bogotá.)

If you're in a traffic jam with buses, it's you causing the jam, not the buses.
A bus only needs about 10 people in it and it's already a more efficient use of space than cars (especially as cars are rarely full). Imagine all the people in those buses were in a car and think how much worse the traffic would be.

If the buses were half empty I doubt there were taking ages to collect fares. That was an issue pre-Oyster but now getting a bus in London is an entirely different experience than 15 years ago...my bus stop in Ealing was usually where the bus goes from empty to full and it rarely required a stop longer than 60 seconds.

Anyway many people are ignoring the fact that making cycling easier is better for those who can't leave their car at home – inevitably there will be fewer cars on the road (and fewer people on public transport too).
Boris on 17:33 - Sep 17 with 804 viewsNov77

I remember a few years back they had a 'national car free day', whereby everyone was encouraged to leave their car at home for a day.

What happened?

Everyone thought 'great, the roads will be empty today' and there were more cars on the road than ever!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Boris on 17:46 - Sep 17 with 799 viewsJuzzie

Boris on 17:08 - Sep 17 by ColombiR

This is a classic argument I have with Colombians who are far more obsessed with their cars than Brits. It's a status thing. (You think London traffic's bad – wait till you see Bogotá.)

A bus only needs about 10 people in it and it's already a more efficient use of space than cars (especially as cars are rarely full). Imagine all the people in those buses were in a car and think how much worse the traffic would be.

If the buses were half empty I doubt there were taking ages to collect fares. That was an issue pre-Oyster but now getting a bus in London is an entirely different experience than 15 years ago...my bus stop in Ealing was usually where the bus goes from empty to full and it rarely required a stop longer than 60 seconds.

Anyway many people are ignoring the fact that making cycling easier is better for those who can't leave their car at home – inevitably there will be fewer cars on the road (and fewer people on public transport too).

Believe you me, it was the buses holding everything up, including other buses! No other vehicle could get around them as they just blocked the road up. There were lines of them all the way down Kingsway.
Boris on 17:52 - Sep 17 with 798 viewshoopstilidie

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Login to get fewer ads

Boris on 18:50 - Sep 17 with 770 viewswombat

Boris on 17:08 - Sep 17 by ColombiR

You might want to come into watford to see that myth mate bus stop towards the high street and always causes a hold up as 5 buses try to get into space designed for 3. They block back onto the on way system traffic grinds to a. Halt , cars can't get passed as roads full of empty busses , not a rare occurance every single day , as juzzie says lot of buses struggle in London. Esp when roadworks are in operation , so rds get jammed up as they can't get round them

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Boris on 12:47 - Sep 18 with 701 viewsQPunkR

Yeah!! Let's decommission cyclers! Kill the buses! Death to the public transport behemoth!! Down with people!

QPR - "shit but local"

Boris on 12:50 - Sep 18 with 689 viewsKonk

Boris on 18:50 - Sep 17 by wombat

You might want to come into watford to see that myth mate bus stop towards the high street and always causes a hold up as 5 buses try to get into space designed for 3. They block back onto the on way system traffic grinds to a. Halt , cars can't get passed as roads full of empty busses , not a rare occurance every single day , as juzzie says lot of buses struggle in London. Esp when roadworks are in operation , so rds get jammed up as they can't get round them

Reconfiguration of existing bus stops arrangements required? On the subject of road works, I'm sure I don't see the volume of road works when I'm visiting cities abroad. Is it something to do with the way we co-ordinate/plan the works when it comes to digging up the same stretch of road every two days?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Boris on 16:30 - Sep 18 with 658 viewswombat

Boris on 12:50 - Sep 18 by Konk

Reconfiguration of existing bus stops arrangements required? On the subject of road works, I'm sure I don't see the volume of road works when I'm visiting cities abroad. Is it something to do with the way we co-ordinate/plan the works when it comes to digging up the same stretch of road every two days?

Konk Germany , chucks loads of guys at any road works that happen , done in half the time less cost and disruption to the traffic ,

Boris on 17:16 - Sep 18 with 648 viewsNov77

From the consultation paper:

Our latest analysis shows the proposals would mean longer journey times for motorists and bus, coach and taxi passengers along most of the route, both during construction and once complete. There would also be longer journey times for users of many of the roads approaching the proposed route and longer waits for pedestrians at some signalised crossings.

Translates as "fck everyone else".

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:41 - Sep 18 with 625 viewsbarabajagal

Boris on 18:32 - Sep 16 by wombat

Didn't somebody who posts on here get taken out last season after a game by a the law dosnt apply to me cyclist ?

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:07 - Sep 18 with 615 viewswombat

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:41 - Sep 18 by barabajagal

Where's our very own cycling warrior the one who used to boot people's cars if they were within a. Country mile of his shiny bike , he's been very quiet on this one

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024