Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris 15:37 - Sep 15 with 5552 viewsNov77

Anyone who has to drive regularly through London really should read this...

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cycling/eastwest

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Boris on 15:38 - Sep 15 with 3292 viewsHAYESBOY

All i know is i have this end of a bell as my MP now. FFS.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Boris on 15:53 - Sep 15 with 3241 viewswillis1980

dont see what the problem is
Boris on 15:55 - Sep 15 with 3230 viewsA40Bosh

Boris on 15:38 - Sep 15 by HAYESBOY

All i know is i have this end of a bell as my MP now. FFS.

+1

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Boris on 15:55 - Sep 15 with 3228 viewsAunt_Nelly

Unless I'm missing something? it looks like a really good idea to me.
Boris on 16:02 - Sep 15 with 3199 viewsNov77

Boris on 15:55 - Sep 15 by Aunt_Nelly

depends if you're a cyclist or a motorist.
they're closing off car lanes permanently, and on some of London's busiest roads.
The embankment is about the only bearable way to travel through central london east to west or vice versa, but it looks like the eastbound section will be reduced to just a single lane:

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Boris on 16:04 - Sep 15 with 3190 viewsAntti_Heinola

Boris on 15:55 - Sep 15 by Aunt_Nelly

Agree. Can't stand Boris, with his stupid pretend buffoonery and nonsense about the estuary airport, but this seems like an eminently sensible idea. The more people on bikes, the better - and if you get proper lanes like that, you'll get more cyclists. They have this in Copenhagen I think, and whenever I've ridden there it's very pleasant.

Bare bones.

Boris on 16:17 - Sep 15 with 3152 viewsQPR_John

Boris on 16:04 - Sep 15 by Antti_Heinola

Agree. Can't stand Boris, with his stupid pretend buffoonery and nonsense about the estuary airport, but this seems like an eminently sensible idea. The more people on bikes, the better - and if you get proper lanes like that, you'll get more cyclists. They have this in Copenhagen I think, and whenever I've ridden there it's very pleasant.

Really should not get involved as luckily I do not have to drive in London but if successful who knows where it will end up. So who will pay for it
Boris on 16:23 - Sep 15 with 3140 viewsHAYESBOY

Boris on 15:55 - Sep 15 by A40Bosh

+1

There will come a time when i will miss seeing Randall at the bus stop on Station Rd in Cowley, knowing Boris is in town.
He may even buy a property in the borough. Oh lucky us.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Login to get fewer ads

Boris on 16:24 - Sep 15 with 3134 viewswillis1980

Boris on 16:17 - Sep 15 by QPR_John

Really should not get involved as luckily I do not have to drive in London but if successful who knows where it will end up. So who will pay for it

my guess is in the long run itll save money as itll be one less lane that requires constant repair work
Boris on 16:29 - Sep 15 with 3116 viewsNov77

Boris on 16:24 - Sep 15 by willis1980

my guess is in the long run itll save money as itll be one less lane that requires constant repair work

or it will need more repair work due to the increased volume of traffic using it.
And, if there is only one lane, and they have to repair it, where does the traffic go while it is being repaired?

Boris on 17:44 - Sep 15 with 2996 viewsHollowayRanger

he beat livingstone

so can do what he likes as far as im concerned

as I totally hate red ken

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Boris on 17:58 - Sep 15 with 2976 viewsJuzzie

It would be fine if the lanes were new but , as others have said, they're not creating these lanes without closing down existing road lanes. It doesn't take a genius to work out what that'll do.

I used to go across the Westway twice a day for nigh on 15 years. They want to shut a lane down either side. PMSFL!! It's bad enough as it is especially during rush hour. I ran out of petrol on my motorbike once and when you're stationary on the hard shoulder you really get an idea of how scary it is having vehicles going by so close at 40-50mph (or more). Having cyclists so close will be like treading on tomatoes. Even if they have a barrier, have you seen a car flipping over one of them at speed, nasty.

Not everyone can cycle for dozens of different reasons, I can't see 'white van man' getting all his tools & equipment into the front basket for example.

How would you like to be sitting in a 2 hour traffic jam while the odd cyclist wobbles past on a lane that will be virtually empty in proportion the the volume it can carry, just like the odd bus going down the M4 bus lane while thousands of cars sit still in the cramped other lanes.

Like that bloke in Scotland, it's about people trying to make a name for themselves in the history books, whatever the cost is to everyone else.... us.

[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 18:04]
Boris on 18:06 - Sep 15 with 2954 viewsDiscodroids

a diabolical blond haired blue eyed devil. A genetically engineerd being most foul.

a bit like khan in the wrath of khan , star trek 2.

boriiiiiissssssssssss !!

something of the night about him, certainly a nazi of some kind.

dont think he knows where newham is.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 18:14]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Boris on 18:26 - Sep 15 with 2914 viewswood_hoop

Boris on 17:58 - Sep 15 by Juzzie

It would be fine if the lanes were new but , as others have said, they're not creating these lanes without closing down existing road lanes. It doesn't take a genius to work out what that'll do.

I used to go across the Westway twice a day for nigh on 15 years. They want to shut a lane down either side. PMSFL!! It's bad enough as it is especially during rush hour. I ran out of petrol on my motorbike once and when you're stationary on the hard shoulder you really get an idea of how scary it is having vehicles going by so close at 40-50mph (or more). Having cyclists so close will be like treading on tomatoes. Even if they have a barrier, have you seen a car flipping over one of them at speed, nasty.

Not everyone can cycle for dozens of different reasons, I can't see 'white van man' getting all his tools & equipment into the front basket for example.

How would you like to be sitting in a 2 hour traffic jam while the odd cyclist wobbles past on a lane that will be virtually empty in proportion the the volume it can carry, just like the odd bus going down the M4 bus lane while thousands of cars sit still in the cramped other lanes.

Like that bloke in Scotland, it's about people trying to make a name for themselves in the history books, whatever the cost is to everyone else.... us.

[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 18:04]

Its not ok though for any company who actually have to use the road system for their business, it wiill be like Peking and millions of bikes contributing absolutely nothing but profits to the bike companies, make fares reasonable,encourage people out of their cars who could use a bike or the public transport system, but London would soon complain if the shops looked like thay had been lifted from Moscow circa 1970 if it takes so much longer to deliver and the extra costs involved, don't even think about delivering over night when the roads are supposedly much emptier, so many councils now impose noise polution byelaws so deliveries cannot be made until after 7am that the town centres now become so clogged up with commercial traffic during daylight hours that the pollution will become even worse as vehicles sit idle, in traffic jams that stretch from Canary Wharf to Battersea Bridge.
Boris on 19:01 - Sep 15 with 2856 viewsnadera78

Cyclists should get off the road!
Cyclists get their own lane. Boo!

Not actually sure what some people want tbh.
Boris on 19:31 - Sep 15 with 2823 viewswillis1980

Boris on 19:01 - Sep 15 by nadera78

Cyclists should get off the road!
Cyclists get their own lane. Boo!

Not actually sure what some people want tbh.

Exactly
Boris on 19:58 - Sep 15 with 2793 viewssmegma

He wants to close a lane on the Westway/Western Avenue and make it a CSH !! And people think it's a good idea??
What's wrong with developing the Grand Union Canal and Thames footpaths for cyclists, cars can't kill them then. The canal goes from Southall to Greenford, Acton, Paddington, Maida Vale, Marylebone, Camden Market, Kings Cross, Angel, hackney, Mile End and joins the Thames at Limehouse Basin.
The Thames covers most areas from west London to Canary Wharf and beyond. Le me tell you, cycling the canal or river is a lot safer than any street in London.
Boris on 19:58 - Sep 15 with 2792 viewswombat

Boris on 19:31 - Sep 15 by willis1980

Exactly

So these routes are already badly congested , let's make it worse will any cyclists be paying towards the cost if the new improved bike lanes out of interest , thought the gov plan was to cut the amount of emmisions in London , let's make traffic stationary a bit more that will help that idea won't it

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Boris on 20:49 - Sep 15 with 2729 viewsmase

Boris on 19:58 - Sep 15 by wombat

So these routes are already badly congested , let's make it worse will any cyclists be paying towards the cost if the new improved bike lanes out of interest , thought the gov plan was to cut the amount of emmisions in London , let's make traffic stationary a bit more that will help that idea won't it

Cyclists already pay tax which would be used to fund the costs of these proposals. Off the top of my head: income tax, VAT, capital gains, inheritance tax, stamp duty. Many cyclists also run a car and so pay the charges associated with that: car tax, duty on fuel etc. All these taxes go to the central fund.

Roads are primarily paid for out of the central fund, and council tax. The additional levies paid by motorists are not hypothecated and have not been since the 1930s.

Everyone would benefit from additional facilities for cyclists even if they don't currently realize it. Numerous studies and empirical evidence shows that where provision is made and journeys become easier by bicycle, motor traffic simply evaporates. If we make cycling a more attractive proposition than it currently is, so many motor journeys will no longer be made as people adapt their travel decisions accordingly. This is not to mention the added benefits to health, reduced pollution, and increased accessibility for a broader range of people to make good travel decisions.
Boris on 20:59 - Sep 15 with 2704 viewswombat

Boris on 20:49 - Sep 15 by mase

Cyclists already pay tax which would be used to fund the costs of these proposals. Off the top of my head: income tax, VAT, capital gains, inheritance tax, stamp duty. Many cyclists also run a car and so pay the charges associated with that: car tax, duty on fuel etc. All these taxes go to the central fund.

Roads are primarily paid for out of the central fund, and council tax. The additional levies paid by motorists are not hypothecated and have not been since the 1930s.

Everyone would benefit from additional facilities for cyclists even if they don't currently realize it. Numerous studies and empirical evidence shows that where provision is made and journeys become easier by bicycle, motor traffic simply evaporates. If we make cycling a more attractive proposition than it currently is, so many motor journeys will no longer be made as people adapt their travel decisions accordingly. This is not to mention the added benefits to health, reduced pollution, and increased accessibility for a broader range of people to make good travel decisions.

Yeah I'm sure all the guys who deliver to companies in London will agree while they are stuck in traffic , can't see the companies complaining to much when the price goes up as well can you , don't reduce already congested roads esp the main routes into London let's reduce the A40 into London fecking brilliant. Idea , so mid week game at LR ill cycle to the office in watford do 11 hrs at work then cycle down to LR should, take me what 2 hrs watch ten game cycle back to harefield

Yeah dream on boris
If you want a decent cycle lane system fine don't make the already congested roads even worse by doing so , somebody said use the canals excellent idea won't cause any problems nice cycling and soon cause more of a problem than it's supposed to cure

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Boris on 21:03 - Sep 15 with 2696 viewsmase

Boris on 19:58 - Sep 15 by smegma

He wants to close a lane on the Westway/Western Avenue and make it a CSH !! And people think it's a good idea??
What's wrong with developing the Grand Union Canal and Thames footpaths for cyclists, cars can't kill them then. The canal goes from Southall to Greenford, Acton, Paddington, Maida Vale, Marylebone, Camden Market, Kings Cross, Angel, hackney, Mile End and joins the Thames at Limehouse Basin.
The Thames covers most areas from west London to Canary Wharf and beyond. Le me tell you, cycling the canal or river is a lot safer than any street in London.

The canal is narrow (4ft in some places), slow, indirect and inconvenient. It is eminently unsuitable for cycling at the current levels of demand, let alone more. There are numerous and obvious conflicts between cyclists, dog walkers, pedestrians, children, and boat users. There are also parts of it that are impassible other than by boat - for instance at Islington.

The Thames Path would conflict with some of the busiest pedestrian areas of London like the south bank and London Bridge. Why not aspire to something genuinely transformative not only of physical space? I am all for longer lasting and improvements being made to benefit a much broader range of people who currently do not (and cannot) feel like they belong on the roads.

The British obsession with motorized transport is one of the most miserable aspects of life here.
Boris on 21:14 - Sep 15 with 2675 viewskensalriser

London does need more and better cycling facilities, but I dont know if I really like the cycle super highways. I much prefer lesser used ordinary roads, of which there are many in London, even in central areas.

As for tax, I shell out over four hundred quid a year on taxing vehicles that do a total of less then 5000 miles, so when I get on my bike I think I've paid my way!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Boris on 21:24 - Sep 15 with 2651 viewskysersosaqpr

Boris on 18:06 - Sep 15 by Discodroids

a diabolical blond haired blue eyed devil. A genetically engineerd being most foul.

a bit like khan in the wrath of khan , star trek 2.

boriiiiiissssssssssss !!

something of the night about him, certainly a nazi of some kind.

dont think he knows where newham is.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 18:14]

Gotta say, think I'm getting a man love thing for Disco. He talks the most sense on this medium that I've read. This blond haired Robert Shaw stand-in from the film "from Russia with love", has a touch of Bela Lugosi about him.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Boris on 21:33 - Sep 15 with 2631 viewswillis1980

Driving across London in the daytime is a nightmare, and anyone that does it for anything other than work needs their head examined. Londons population is growing more and more and most facilities cant cope as they were built such a long time ago. The sharp rise in cyclists isn't merely down to a new found fitness boom but probably due to the fact that traveling by car during rush hour is a ball ache (public transport isn't far behind). Changes are coming one way or another and motorists are always going to be the first to be inconvenienced. The congestion charge will increase so will it's borders, the cost of petrol will rise, so will road tax etc.. Driving in London is almost a luxury now
Boris on 22:07 - Sep 15 with 2572 viewssmegma

Boris on 21:03 - Sep 15 by mase

The canal is narrow (4ft in some places), slow, indirect and inconvenient. It is eminently unsuitable for cycling at the current levels of demand, let alone more. There are numerous and obvious conflicts between cyclists, dog walkers, pedestrians, children, and boat users. There are also parts of it that are impassible other than by boat - for instance at Islington.

The Thames Path would conflict with some of the busiest pedestrian areas of London like the south bank and London Bridge. Why not aspire to something genuinely transformative not only of physical space? I am all for longer lasting and improvements being made to benefit a much broader range of people who currently do not (and cannot) feel like they belong on the roads.

The British obsession with motorized transport is one of the most miserable aspects of life here.

But they wouldn't need much to upgrade them. I've cycled the 20 miles from Greenford to Limehouse and it takes two hours. That's because of some bottle necks like Camden with all the tourists drinking their frappocinos al fresco. Then at Angel the towpath disappears altogether.If the canal path was upgraded the travel time would decrease.
Going by road would take forever IF all cyclists observed the Highway Code by doing things like stopping at red lights.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024