Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio 18:51 - Sep 15 with 3098 viewsbosh67

Did anyone else watch Rio getting his award before yesterday's game, just before kick off, in his QPR kit and think, this is really weird timing to present him with a Man Utd award?

Rio had been saying all week that he wouldn't allow anything to distract his focus before the game and 'bam' here's a set of Man Utd place mats for long service, 90 seconds before kick off.

I think 'a nice gesture' was a brilliant piece of psychological gamesmanship by the Utd hierarchy.

I think they handed the gift over and were saying 'great, we've really f*cked with your head, focus and concentration before kick off.'

Mission accomplished I would say.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 08:59 - Sep 16 with 933 viewsingeminate

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 23:48 - Sep 15 by Northernr

You collect it at 2pm, or afterwards. At five to four I want my "fentastic professional on and off the pitch" to be totally focused on the game, and going round the other players we're told he's such a fcking role model for making sure they're focused too. Have a bit of a belief that with concentration and effort and organisation and shape and ambition there's something here for us. Instead he's at the side of the pitch shaking hands with Bobby fcking Charlton.

Boot on the other foot, I can well imagine Van Gaal or Ferguson allowing their player to do the same ahead of a big away game can't you? Probably rip his bastard head off.

You don't need to look any further than Gary Neville's reaction to Phil trying to have a chat with him in the tunnel before Man U Everton when they were both captains - completely ignored him and stayed focused.

That said I'm not that fussed about losing this one. We've already shown we can bounce back after abject performances and if we win against Stoke then we've not had a bad start to the season - probably a point off where we would have liked to have been - 2 wins and a draw at home and two loses away.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 09:04 - Sep 16 with 931 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 08:52 - Sep 16 by Northernr

Who said snub? You do it way before or afterwards, not on the pitch 2 minutes before the bloody kick off. That's the time the senior professional who's meant to be such a bloody fantastic influence needs to be going round the players, calming the ones that need calming, issuing little reminders about what we've worked on and what's been said.
When Les Ferdinand came back to Loftus Road for the first time he was absolutely focused on winning that game and blitzing us - both of which he did.

kropo said snub.
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 10:24 - Sep 16 with 898 viewskropotkin41

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 09:04 - Sep 16 by CroydonCaptJack

kropo said snub.

Well actually I agree with Northern, but that does suppose that we were given notice of what was going to happen. If proper notice was given of this award then absolutely there should have been a polite request to reschedule. Only if it was an ambush would I advocate a snub.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 10:28 - Sep 16 with 895 viewssimmo

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 19:36 - Sep 15 by daveB

I don't think it really affected him, he kept RVP pretty quiet all game

Watch the 4th goal, come back to me.

Big day out for QPR, playing against a big team with superstars. What a treat.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 11:01 - Sep 16 with 882 viewsDiscodroids

i think using psychology on 'Rio 'is a redundant tool.

Its simply not required in any shape or form, just pace,and strength which any premiership striker has in his locker.

these are the only basic tools required to dismantle 'Rio' in 2014.

well , that and a tape recorder waved under his nose to note his manchester utd memoirs for his books, papers,internet and magazine articles.

cant get enough of 'em myself.

riveting.

[Post edited 16 Sep 2014 11:04]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 11:10 - Sep 16 with 866 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Didn't see the game, so can only make a general comment that at any level the pre-match is vital for focus, instruction and motivation. To disrupt it for something that brings the team no benefit is folly. This could have been done an hour before. A poor decision by the player, and poor management to allow it. As for offending Man Utd - I'm sure they would have recovered, and to suggest otherwise makes no sense to me. Had he/we snubbed a Munich memorial, there would clearly have been disrespect, but not in this case.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 11:44 - Sep 16 with 844 viewsQPunkR

I really don't think it made one iota of difference. If I'm brutally honest (and this isn't a knee-jerk Rio out comment or anything like that), Rio hasn't impressed me whatsoever since coming down to little old QPR. Granted, I missed the Sunderland game (when even apparently Barton and Fer actually played well!!) but Rio pretty much just seems the new Ji-$ung Park.

QPR - "shit but local"

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 13:03 - Sep 16 with 805 viewsThGrimRanger

surprised they didn't give him a bag of chips

TheGrimRanger

Login to get fewer ads

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 15:22 - Sep 16 with 753 viewsMatch82

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 10:28 - Sep 16 by simmo

Watch the 4th goal, come back to me.

Big day out for QPR, playing against a big team with superstars. What a treat.

Do agree that he was at fault for the 4th, but I doubt that had much to do with any pre-game award - all bets were off by that point.

First 20 minutes or so is where it would have had the biggest impact. I actually don't think it affected Rio himself all that much, but it could have affected our other players
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 15:30 - Sep 16 with 747 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 10:24 - Sep 16 by kropotkin41

Well actually I agree with Northern, but that does suppose that we were given notice of what was going to happen. If proper notice was given of this award then absolutely there should have been a polite request to reschedule. Only if it was an ambush would I advocate a snub.

That is fair enough.
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 16:57 - Sep 16 with 724 viewsTacticalR

He should have sent in one of his top WAGs to pick up the award.

Air hostess clique

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 17:39 - Sep 16 with 702 viewskropotkin41

Apparently Ferdinand failed to make a single tackle in 90 minutes on Sunday!

Is that in any sense normal for a defender in a Premiership game?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 17:52 - Sep 16 with 696 viewssimmo

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 17:39 - Sep 16 by kropotkin41

Apparently Ferdinand failed to make a single tackle in 90 minutes on Sunday!

Is that in any sense normal for a defender in a Premiership game?

Read all about Rio exclusively in The Sun this weekend when he reveals all in a big story about how he used to win everything and then other people took over as manager, also some racists.

I am getting a bit fckin sick of seeing him everywhere and anywhere, including about 4 yards behind the rest of the defensive line. The only break I get from Rio is when he's suppsoed to be marking people at corners.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 18:16 - Sep 16 with 683 viewsisawqpratwcity

they were so scared we'd beat them that they got bobby charlton to psych rio out.

a cunning plan...

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 02:52 - Sep 17 with 628 viewsFredManRave

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 08:48 - Sep 16 by CroydonCaptJack

How would we have felt if one of our long serving players had snubbed us in the same circumstances?

The hypocrisy on here at times!!!

Depends. If it was Taarabt then I'd say 50% on here would have a go at him bearing in mind how well the club had treated him whilst also mentioning what a luxury and non tracker backer he'd been whilst he was with us and the other 50% would say it was justified bearing in mind how badly he had been treated by the club/Redknapp during his time with us in which he was a mercurial match winning maverick.

I'm just pleased that Rio didn't respond to the "Rio, Rio, give us a wave" chants that the Utd fans were singing. In fact they booed him when he didn't wave.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 10:20 - Sep 17 with 579 viewsDiscodroids

some really interesting stuff from 'Rio' our very own charles dickens, on england in todays sun website.

soon as ive picked the sweetcorn kernals out of my feces , and put them in ascending size order , i might read it.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 12:26 - Sep 17 with 556 viewsYorkRanger

Frankly blame the QPR management for letting it happen. Absolutely ridiculous.
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 12:32 - Sep 17 with 548 viewsClive_Anderson

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 12:26 - Sep 17 by YorkRanger

Frankly blame the QPR management for letting it happen. Absolutely ridiculous.

From the manager downwards they all see themselves as too big for the club.
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 15:22 - Sep 17 with 509 viewsTacticalR

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 12:32 - Sep 17 by Clive_Anderson

From the manager downwards they all see themselves as too big for the club.

I think the problem was more that they were overawed by a particular big club.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024