Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio 18:51 - Sep 15 with 3106 viewsbosh67

Did anyone else watch Rio getting his award before yesterday's game, just before kick off, in his QPR kit and think, this is really weird timing to present him with a Man Utd award?

Rio had been saying all week that he wouldn't allow anything to distract his focus before the game and 'bam' here's a set of Man Utd place mats for long service, 90 seconds before kick off.

I think 'a nice gesture' was a brilliant piece of psychological gamesmanship by the Utd hierarchy.

I think they handed the gift over and were saying 'great, we've really f*cked with your head, focus and concentration before kick off.'

Mission accomplished I would say.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 19:18 - Sep 15 with 2131 viewsPunteR

I thought exactly the same.

That was a bit of old school Ferguson mind games.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 19:28 - Sep 15 with 2107 viewsRangersw12

Well now that we have given Ferdinand his testimonial against United hopefully he will be dropped on Sat and Onuoha given a chance
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 19:35 - Sep 15 with 2094 viewsJigsore

Steve Black ought to have seen it coming really

looks like he got out-tacticed by the world's best football manager, genius and all round good bloke Van Gaal.

saaaacked in the mooorning

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 19:36 - Sep 15 with 2092 viewsdaveB

I don't think it really affected him, he kept RVP pretty quiet all game
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 19:40 - Sep 15 with 2079 viewsTheBlob

Yeah,said the same earlier - wonderful bit of psychology that,may have had a direct effect.Maybe we should present Shawcross with a kitten next week.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 20:23 - Sep 15 with 2015 viewsPunteR

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 19:36 - Sep 15 by daveB

I don't think it really affected him, he kept RVP pretty quiet all game

I thought it was done to unsettle the team not just Rio.
Right before kick off.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 20:28 - Sep 15 with 1999 viewsCroydonCaptJack

How about they wanted to give him an award for playing so many years for them.

A strange perspective I know but its just possible.
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 20:32 - Sep 15 with 1981 viewsHollowayRanger

yep totally messed with rio's head

but who messed with the other ten players heads?

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Login to get fewer ads

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 20:35 - Sep 15 with 1977 viewskropotkin41

Our fight should have started right there with Rio. I don't care how Man Utd he is, he should have walked away from that award ceremony in front of all of them and so should our entire team.

If you want to win then it starts with the psychology. Remember the Aussies refusing to go out on to the pitch under the English flags in the Ashes the other year - you do not entertain the opposition's mind games.

I'm actually really cross about this. If he wanted the bl**dy award he shouldn't have been on the team sheet.

That was the most supine performance we could have put in and it started with that.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 20:36 - Sep 15 with 1975 viewsisawqpratwcity

absolutely, a total sucker punch, but what could he do?

decline to accept the award and sure as eggs the guaranteed addition to the ''united are back'' post-match commentay w*nkathon would be the ''rio is an @rsehole for snubbing the tribute of a grateful club'' criticism.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 20:38 - Sep 15 with 1968 viewskropotkin41

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 20:36 - Sep 15 by isawqpratwcity

decline to accept the award and sure as eggs the guaranteed addition to the ''united are back'' post-match commentay w*nkathon would be the ''rio is an @rsehole for snubbing the tribute of a grateful club'' criticism.

No, decline is exactly what he should have done. We may not be paying him a fortune, but he's an R now and he should have shaken his head politely and run back to his position. That's all.

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 21:21 - Sep 15 with 1890 viewsisawqpratwcity

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 20:38 - Sep 15 by kropotkin41

No, decline is exactly what he should have done. We may not be paying him a fortune, but he's an R now and he should have shaken his head politely and run back to his position. That's all.

no, i don't think he could have done that.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 21:22]

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 22:28 - Sep 15 with 1803 viewskropotkin41

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 21:21 - Sep 15 by isawqpratwcity

no, i don't think he could have done that.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2014 21:22]

Well I'm not sure why. If the Aussie cricket team can come out and go around the MCC's flags I don't see why we can't show a bit of fight. If he was pre-warned that it would happen he should have declined, and if not he should have just got on with his job. Do you really think that no-one at Man Utd thought that this would put him off?

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 22:32 - Sep 15 with 1794 viewsTheBlob

So that's two away games in a row where the oppsition has messed with our heads by dint of past association.I suppose Southampton's the next one.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 23:24 - Sep 15 with 1724 viewsTacticalR

It messed with my head.

Air hostess clique

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 23:36 - Sep 15 with 1699 viewsNorthernr

It was pathetic and summed up our whole attitude to the game. Big day out.
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 23:43 - Sep 15 with 1694 viewsMatch82

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 20:36 - Sep 15 by isawqpratwcity

He should have said "Absolutely, i'd love to accept the award. But today is about showing how committed I am to my new club, so how about I pop down before one of your other games, on a day that I don't have a fixture of my own?"
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 23:48 - Sep 15 with 1684 viewsNorthernr

You collect it at 2pm, or afterwards. At five to four I want my "fentastic professional on and off the pitch" to be totally focused on the game, and going round the other players we're told he's such a fcking role model for making sure they're focused too. Have a bit of a belief that with concentration and effort and organisation and shape and ambition there's something here for us. Instead he's at the side of the pitch shaking hands with Bobby fcking Charlton.

Boot on the other foot, I can well imagine Van Gaal or Ferguson allowing their player to do the same ahead of a big away game can't you? Probably rip his bastard head off.
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 05:38 - Sep 16 with 1586 viewsisawqpratwcity

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 23:48 - Sep 15 by Northernr

You collect it at 2pm, or afterwards. At five to four I want my "fentastic professional on and off the pitch" to be totally focused on the game, and going round the other players we're told he's such a fcking role model for making sure they're focused too. Have a bit of a belief that with concentration and effort and organisation and shape and ambition there's something here for us. Instead he's at the side of the pitch shaking hands with Bobby fcking Charlton.

Boot on the other foot, I can well imagine Van Gaal or Ferguson allowing their player to do the same ahead of a big away game can't you? Probably rip his bastard head off.

then blame harry et al.

if i was rio, there is no way that i'd turn my back to the acknowledgement of 12 years spanning the broad summit of an immense career in one of the most successful teams ever.

i don't know what the solution should have been, but if you are thinking that it should involve rio taking it on himself to give utd the finger, you are dreaming.

(edit: grammar)
[Post edited 16 Sep 2014 6:36]

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 06:18 - Sep 16 with 1572 viewssingapore_dave

Were we crap at Spurs because Harry waved to their fans? Were we crap at Utd because Rio accepted an award?
I think it might just go a bit deeper than that and in my opinion neither event had any bearing whatsoever on the performance or the result.
I have seen us battered more than enough times away from home to understand peoples frustrations but there was more than enough to complain about in both games to have to seek out irrelevancies to moan about.
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 07:32 - Sep 16 with 1516 viewskropotkin41

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 06:18 - Sep 16 by singapore_dave

Were we crap at Spurs because Harry waved to their fans? Were we crap at Utd because Rio accepted an award?
I think it might just go a bit deeper than that and in my opinion neither event had any bearing whatsoever on the performance or the result.
I have seen us battered more than enough times away from home to understand peoples frustrations but there was more than enough to complain about in both games to have to seek out irrelevancies to moan about.

I don't think anyone was saying that this was the sole cause of the performance, but all of these things contribute to both the way a team performs and how pathetic they look doing it. The script was written by the media and by Man Utd, as the underdog you go along to tear up the script.

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 07:34 - Sep 16 with 1515 viewsthame_hoops

Yep I thought the same too, they did exactly the same thing to ronaldo7 in the champs league and it unsettled him too
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 08:48 - Sep 16 with 1473 viewsCroydonCaptJack

How would we have felt if one of our long serving players had snubbed us in the same circumstances?

The hypocrisy on here at times!!!
Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 08:51 - Sep 16 with 1465 viewsstonebridgers

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 07:34 - Sep 16 by thame_hoops

Yep I thought the same too, they did exactly the same thing to ronaldo7 in the champs league and it unsettled him too

If it screws with the whole teams mind can I suggest we try something similar on Saturday and present Mark Hughes with a gift on his return as a thank you for his time at the club. A postage note with his highlights on the back perhaps ?

Stonebridgers

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 08:52 - Sep 16 with 1464 viewsNorthernr

Man Utd's brilliant bit of Psychology on Rio on 08:48 - Sep 16 by CroydonCaptJack

How would we have felt if one of our long serving players had snubbed us in the same circumstances?

The hypocrisy on here at times!!!

Who said snub? You do it way before or afterwards, not on the pitch 2 minutes before the bloody kick off. That's the time the senior professional who's meant to be such a bloody fantastic influence needs to be going round the players, calming the ones that need calming, issuing little reminders about what we've worked on and what's been said.
When Les Ferdinand came back to Loftus Road for the first time he was absolutely focused on winning that game and blitzing us - both of which he did.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024