Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP 11:38 - Sep 16 with 2932 viewsCFW

What is very clear to me at the beginning of this new season especially now the transfer window is shut the gap between the 'have' and the 'have nots' is wider than ever before and one thing is for sure it is only going to get wider.

These have been lots of comments made re our performance on Sunday and yes we did not cover ourselves with glory but there are a lot more games like that to follow before the season ends. Everything went their way, needless foul, bad tracking back, scuffed shot that turned out to be a great pass along with two poor misses and we loose the game.

We have already seen our team get beat by four goals but we are not the only ones to get this number past us, Swansea (who were second in the league before Saturday) had four put past them and it could have been more, Everton had six put past them and Newcastle have also been hit for four. Even Spurs had three put past them by Liverpool when it could easily have been five or six.

Comments were made about Chelsea's performance on Saturday re the link play between midfield and forwards being great these players cost them close on £80 million. Bit of difference to that of Phillips, Fer etc linking with Charlie for a total of about £18 million. We bang on about Clint Hill playing at left back Mau U spent £26 million on a left back - how much did ours cost?

I am sorry but Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea will dominate the division simply because of the money they have available. I dread to think how much Man U's wage bill is per month - staggering.

If we are to go on about sacking the manager, calling for TF to resign, questioning players we all thought a few weeks ago were good purchases every time we get well beat then it is going to be a very long, hard and boring season.

We need to compete against similar teams to us and endure we stay in the division, it will not be easy but after four games we are really only one point short of where I thought we might be - should have got a point at home to Hull and would have done if Charlie had not missed the penalty and we deserved to get something from that match. Two defeats which we were expecting sandwiched with a good win against Sunderland.

The signings we have made are good players Isla has caught my eye already and he got no cover from Phillips on Sunday whereas Hoilett worked very hard down the left. Sandro has not played a game for months and looked out on his feet half way through the second half. Nicko would not be in the side if Mutch had been fit so nothing a few more games wont solve.

Big game this weekend and think we can win.
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 14:59 - Sep 16 with 738 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 13:39 - Sep 16 by Nov77

Stan collymore done an hour on this on TS last night, speaking out against the cartel at the top, then Goldstein (the man utd fan from london) came on and laid into him.

http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1410804000#

Go to the 4:20 min mark of the 21-30 to 22-00 slot.

It's well worth a listen, collymore was excellent.
Goldstein's attitude was typical of fans at the top who have a sense of entitlement and believe they should be in the champions league every year just because they've got more money than everyone else.

A good rant by Collymore. I couldn't agree more. It's funny how I realise how I've just gone along with this evolution of the "top 4" over timeWithout really thinking too much about it.

It's got to be Yarg

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 16:02 - Sep 16 with 717 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Who cares if Warnock is better or we would have fought more under him, the fact is he left us in January 2012 and is now Palace manager and we are still with Harry. Whats the point of arguing about stuff that is in the past and start looking at the present. Was he sacked harshly? Yes, but now we have Harry so why don't we concentrate on supporting him and the team instead of thinking how it could have been possibly different.

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 22:52 - Sep 16 with 682 viewsGetMeRangers

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 14:59 - Sep 16 by Cornish_oooRRRR

A good rant by Collymore. I couldn't agree more. It's funny how I realise how I've just gone along with this evolution of the "top 4" over timeWithout really thinking too much about it.

I am not sure I could ever imagine saying that Collymore could speak such sense... but wow.

Thanks for sharing that
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 23:08 - Sep 16 with 680 viewsMatch82

I may be in the minority, but unless there's a significant upgrade, I'd rather stick with who we have.

I would have stuck with Warnock at the time. I'd stick with Harry now. Don't think there's a significant difference between them, or 60% of other managers out there (10% being elite, 30% being absolute shoite - hello Paul Hart)

If there's an obvious, long term, significant upgrade that we're guaranteed to get - fine. If not, far better off creating stability and sticking with the status quo in my book. Last couple of years have been weird with that, but prior to that look at the managers who have had moderate success with low-mid prem clubs - Martinez at Wigan, Moyes at Everton, Pulis at Stoke, Pardew at Newcastle (2012), Bruce at Hull - arguably Harry at Spurs. All given time to make the job and club their own. There are exceptions who can have an immediate impact - Pulis at Palace and Laudrup at Swansea spring to mind but they seem less common.
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP (n/t) on 07:24 - Sep 17 with 635 viewsterryb

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 07:27 - Sep 17 with 632 viewsterryb

Sorry about that.

I understand the OP but no club will survive if they were to lose all fiourteen matches to the top seven.

When we avoided relegation, sixteen of our points came from those games & we only mustered twenty two points from the remaining twenty four matches.
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 07:50 - Sep 17 with 622 viewsjonno

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 07:27 - Sep 17 by terryb

Sorry about that.

I understand the OP but no club will survive if they were to lose all fiourteen matches to the top seven.

When we avoided relegation, sixteen of our points came from those games & we only mustered twenty two points from the remaining twenty four matches.

Which of course is why what appears to be an obvious strategy of not bothering against the big teams (little effort to save energy and avoid injuries, no tackling to avoid cards and injuries etc.) so that you give yourself the maximum chance of beating teams that are more equivalent to us and direct rivals is so risky. Not to mention the fact that it is entirely against the whole concept and ethics of a sporting contest. But when you see the way in which the PL is structured, with all the advantages given to the top sides, and increasingly more so, it's hardly a surprise that some teams will take that approach as they identify it as their best chance to stay on the gravy train. It's an inevitable consequence of not having a level playing field and the PL have brought in on themselves, not that they care. Whether it works for us, only time will tell. But it's an incredibly risky approach, but more importantly entirely unfair on the fans who spend good money to watch us play games we aren't going to bother to compete in.
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 08:16 - Sep 17 with 614 viewswgchoop

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 07:27 - Sep 17 by terryb

Sorry about that.

Of those 16 points how many did we get from away games ? (Chelsea,arsenal,spurs,Liverpool were home games)I suggest we will adopt a different approach at home to the top sides as we did back then.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2014 8:21]
Login to get fewer ads

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 08:19 - Sep 17 with 612 viewsade_qpr

Seriously you guys

Get off your asses and get stuck in.

Stated earlier in the season on another thread that we need especially at home to get points against the lesser likes and any thing from the top 6-7 will a bonus. Thats why the loss to Hull pisses me off more than the others. We didn't play to badly and deserved a result 1 or 3 points. Away from home we will get a few positive results against the bottom sides more so than the top ( another Everton could happen )

Also said I think we will nick a result or two against the bigger clubs and still think that will occur.
Both the losses were away from home, but do acknowledge both performances were poor.

Hark back to the last time we were in the Premier league, hello Chelsea did you enjoy that and arise Jamie to slay the Pool both at home.

Most of you guys are a hell of a lot closer and able to get to LR so get hostile and make LR a cauldron ( its what its famous for ) and give the boys a boast while hopefully intimating the oppo. Thus maybe plenty of results will be achieved against the lesser lights and a upper team or 2 may fall.

How bigger smile did you have after Chelsea?

Bottom line yes we will mostly fail far more than succeed but a extra result or two could make the season, give us a advantage in staying up and close that gap just a little.
Money is not every thing but a positive attitude by both team and supporters helps.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 09:33 - Sep 17 with 587 viewsCFW

When I wrote the opening thread I did make reference to our lack-lusture performance against Man U and agreed we did not cover ourselves in glory.

I simply started the thread to state that in my opinion the gap between the bigger teams and the smaller ones has increased significantly and that is going to continue. We need to be realistic in what our club can achieve and staying in the Premier League this season will be a start.

I did not intend it to turn into a HR v NW thread as there is no point, nor did I want to get drawn into a debate about not picking up any bookings so we must have been poor on Sunday. All I know is HR got us back into the Premie League (albeit via the playoffs) at the first attempt which as you will note from Cardiff and Fulham is not easy. We have shipped out shed loads of players and replaced them with what most people agree are players better equipped to survive in the Premier League.

Thought the best post was the SC rant which is so true and shows exactly where the game we all love is going unfortunately. What do I expect this season - high's and low's - perhaps more low's than high's but I guess all I really want is to survive the first season. I noticed that even teams like Hull invested over £70 million in the transfer window, something they would never have done in the past. The investment is based on having a good season last year and trying to consolidate there Premier League position.

Perhaps as a club we should be looking to see how things are run in Germany, great teams, great stadiums, affordable to the fans, players paid within a wage structure and great atmospheres at the matches. Young 17 year old playing on Saturday being paid 250 Euro per month - how much do we play our young players? Oh no we in England do not play our youngsters - we loan them out and they are never heard of again. Very sad.
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 17:48 - Sep 17 with 528 viewsterryb

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 08:16 - Sep 17 by wgchoop

Of those 16 points how many did we get from away games ? (Chelsea,arsenal,spurs,Liverpool were home games)I suggest we will adopt a different approach at home to the top sides as we did back then.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2014 8:21]

We gained three points away against the top seven in the first away match of the season.

The only side that I can remember beating at home that season (memory could well be wrong) from the other clubs was Swansea.

The good news is that the gap between the top & the rest is growing, so the number of points required to avoid relegation is likely to decline.
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 19:35 - Sep 17 with 509 viewsDylanP

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 12:12 - Sep 16 by paulparker

Spot on
otherwise what's the point in being in the League
as we have discovered Spurs arnt all that , yet we made them look like Brazil 1970
got to say if we still had Warnock in charge we would see more fight & passion against the top 4-5 sides

What nonsense! We lost the first game of the season under Warnock 4-0 to Bolton. Unless your point is we would've had more fight against the top clubs and only capitulated against the smaller clubs (like Bolton). That aint much of an argument, to be honest.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 16:04 - Sep 18 with 442 viewspaulparker

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 19:35 - Sep 17 by DylanP

What nonsense! We lost the first game of the season under Warnock 4-0 to Bolton. Unless your point is we would've had more fight against the top clubs and only capitulated against the smaller clubs (like Bolton). That aint much of an argument, to be honest.

Dylan, please check the history leading up to that Bolton Game
Warnock was shafted that pre season , had no money from tango & cash and was fearing for his job, he had to sell his best defender for DJ Campbell, and was forced to buy dyer & gabbidon just to make up the numbers
now HR has had millions to spend on players that he wants & that's been the case since he arrived, he waived the white flag from the off on sunday (disgraceful) like many other away games since he has been in charge
now back to the Bolton game , we were not out fought (I was there) we were out thought & not good enough and were Beaten by a an established Prem team,
difference was we competed where as sunday we tossed it off
big difference

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 16:41 - Sep 18 with 428 viewsDiscodroids

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 16:04 - Sep 18 by paulparker

Warnock was shafted that pre season , had no money from tango & cash and was fearing for his job, he had to sell his best defender for DJ Campbell, and was forced to buy dyer & gabbidon just to make up the numbers
now HR has had millions to spend on players that he wants & that's been the case since he arrived, he waived the white flag from the off on sunday (disgraceful) like many other away games since he has been in charge
now back to the Bolton game , we were not out fought (I was there) we were out thought & not good enough and were Beaten by a an established Prem team,
big difference

who do you think you are parker!!, cock of the walk!!!

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 16:59 - Sep 18 with 423 viewsDylanP

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 16:04 - Sep 18 by paulparker

big difference

But that is a very different argument from the one you made in the post I was responding to. What you said was along the lines of "We wouldn't have capitulated under Warnock" when the evidence is exactly the opposite.

Now you seem to be saying "Harry has benefits and opportunities that Warnock never had". That is true. But it is a different matter.

We completely capitulated against Bolton. That was a team that nobody expected us to lose to , who had a team made up of moderately priced talents. They completely over-ran us. In contrast, nobody was surprised that Manure beat us. They didn't completely overrun us, but rather got four good chances and took them well. Moreover, Manure spent almost half a billion on players this summer. The team comprises of players widely considered to be among the best at their positions in the world and some of the biggest names in the game. Let's face it, Fer played in the world cup, Van Persie was a star at the world cup.

You absolutely cannot compare the Bolton defeat and the Manure defeat in terms of the shock to the team and the demoralizing impact on the organization. Manure and Spurs are teams way out of our league at this point in this season. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is living in cloud cuckoo land. I thought we put up a reasonable fight, but didn't have it in us.

Nobody thinks that our season is going to be won or lost based on performances at Manure, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Man City, etc. Our season will be won or lost based on performances against teams in the bottom half of the table. I am not saying we should give up or throw in the towel against the top sides, I am just saying that panicking or tailspinning into hysteria based on that perfomance is unrealistic. Losing to Bolton on openning day was a blow. Losing to Manure was a blip.

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 17:04 - Sep 18 with 383 viewsAntti_Heinola

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 16:59 - Sep 18 by DylanP

But that is a very different argument from the one you made in the post I was responding to. What you said was along the lines of "We wouldn't have capitulated under Warnock" when the evidence is exactly the opposite.

Now you seem to be saying "Harry has benefits and opportunities that Warnock never had". That is true. But it is a different matter.

We completely capitulated against Bolton. That was a team that nobody expected us to lose to , who had a team made up of moderately priced talents. They completely over-ran us. In contrast, nobody was surprised that Manure beat us. They didn't completely overrun us, but rather got four good chances and took them well. Moreover, Manure spent almost half a billion on players this summer. The team comprises of players widely considered to be among the best at their positions in the world and some of the biggest names in the game. Let's face it, Fer played in the world cup, Van Persie was a star at the world cup.

You absolutely cannot compare the Bolton defeat and the Manure defeat in terms of the shock to the team and the demoralizing impact on the organization. Manure and Spurs are teams way out of our league at this point in this season. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is living in cloud cuckoo land. I thought we put up a reasonable fight, but didn't have it in us.

Nobody thinks that our season is going to be won or lost based on performances at Manure, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Man City, etc. Our season will be won or lost based on performances against teams in the bottom half of the table. I am not saying we should give up or throw in the towel against the top sides, I am just saying that panicking or tailspinning into hysteria based on that perfomance is unrealistic. Losing to Bolton on openning day was a blow. Losing to Manure was a blip.

Absolute myth that it's about results against the teams around you Dylan. To stay up you need results from everywhere - look at the season we stayed up, with a surprise win at Everton, a magnificent home win v Liverpool and v Arsenal and v Spurs too. OK, all at home, those lot, but still. If you lose all your games to the top 6, home and away, you'll go down. You have to fight for every single point - you can't take anywhere from 8-16 games out of the season and say they don't matter. They do - they all do.

Bare bones.

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 17:08 - Sep 18 with 382 viewsdaveB

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 12:24 - Sep 16 by paulparker

Dave behave yourself, you cannot compare the teams or the resources HR has had compared to Warnock
answer this , do you honestly think this HR team would have got a 3-3 at Newcastle being 3-2 down with a minute to go

no idea but lets not pretend everything was great under Warnock, he had plenty of money to spend and we're still stuck with some of the crap he signed. Not much between them imo, both have got good and bad points.
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 17:10 - Sep 18 with 381 viewsdaveB

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 17:04 - Sep 18 by Antti_Heinola

Absolute myth that it's about results against the teams around you Dylan. To stay up you need results from everywhere - look at the season we stayed up, with a surprise win at Everton, a magnificent home win v Liverpool and v Arsenal and v Spurs too. OK, all at home, those lot, but still. If you lose all your games to the top 6, home and away, you'll go down. You have to fight for every single point - you can't take anywhere from 8-16 games out of the season and say they don't matter. They do - they all do.

would agree with that, games against team around us are really important to not give them the points but also need to get points certainly in the home games against top six. Rare that teams staying up lose all 12 games against the top 6, well apart from Arsenal
As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 17:29 - Sep 18 with 369 viewspaulparker

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 16:59 - Sep 18 by DylanP

Dylan I never said" We wouldn't have capitulated under Warnock"
we did at Fulham
what I said was I would prefer the Warnock who wants to be here,
the bloke who sees us as the greatest club to manage ,
the bloke who got away wins at Everton & stoke
not someone thinking of Golf Clubs , and certainly not someone who has had the biggest budget in the clubs History laying down and dying to Spurs & man yoo
while then blaming their fitness ( you've had 2 weeks FFS !! )

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 17:44 - Sep 18 with 358 viewsDylanP

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 17:29 - Sep 18 by paulparker

Dylan I never said" We wouldn't have capitulated under Warnock"
we did at Fulham
what I said was I would prefer the Warnock who wants to be here,
the bloke who sees us as the greatest club to manage ,
the bloke who got away wins at Everton & stoke
not someone thinking of Golf Clubs , and certainly not someone who has had the biggest budget in the clubs History laying down and dying to Spurs & man yoo
while then blaming their fitness ( you've had 2 weeks FFS !! )

You didn't say " We wouldn't have capitulated under Warnock" but you certainly implied it. I simply responded to that implication by pointing out that we did against Bolton and likewise against Fulham, as you say.

I loved Warnock. He was fantastic. But that is years ago. What is the point? He isn't coming back.

'arry is the manager now and he isn't doing a bad job. He got us up. He has brought in some really good players. Now its his job to get them working well together. He haven't seen much evidence of that yet, but it is pretty obvious that "Rome wasn't built in a day" and that the team will need some playing time to gel.

Mostly, my point is, a loss to billionaires Manure isn't indicative of anything. You don't panic after a loss to Manure at Old Trafford. Yes, all games come with a potential 3 points. But a loss to Manure was expected; so you shrug, dust yourself off, and worry about the next game.

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 17:56 - Sep 18 with 348 viewssimmo

"Mostly, my point is, a loss to billionaires Manure isn't indicative of anything. You don't panic after a loss to Manure at Old Trafford. Yes, all games come with a potential 3 points. But a loss to Manure was expected; so you shrug, dust yourself off, and worry about the next game."

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE RESULT, IT'S ABOUT THE PERFORMANCE. Constant references to the fact we shouldn't expect anything out of the game anyway.... It's not the point - I expected to lose, but I didn't expect to go there holding my ankles with a 'fill your boots' slag tag tattoo above my arse.

When you serve up excuses like 'the players were not fit' and 'poor pre season', when its actually the managers job to make them fit and give them a good pre season, why shouldnt we be able to question things?

Nobody gives a fck if we lose all our games this season but do it playing commited and organised football. The fact we have so much talent means that if we do add application and organisation to our ability, more than likely we have the potential to finish well ahead of the relegation zone. It's made so much worse when other teams this season and last already laid out the blueprint for exactly how we should have approached that game, Redknapp decided to completely fck that off, which is why people like myself are frustrated.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

As they say on the underground - MIND THE GAP on 18:23 - Sep 18 with 341 viewsterryb

Great post simmo.

Have we signed some great players? That remains to be seen,

Potentially we have made some good signings but I would venture that we have also signed at least two players who will struggle all season.

Two seasons ago we also signed some good players & they excited as much, if not more, than this summer's. However, they couldn't play as a team.

I know I'm old but I will take performance over results all of the time. Strangely enough, if the performance is good the result normally is as well!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024