Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alex McCarthy 13:34 - Sep 16 with 1949 viewsHarps1609

Wondering if his debut might come sooner rather than later? I'm not blaming Green for any of the goals against Utd but wondering if maybe Harry is thinking of the change!!
Both good 'keepers and McCarthy is the one for the long term, I think I might give him a go.
Alex McCarthy on 13:39 - Sep 16 with 1930 viewsPinnerPaul

Would be harsh.

Clive said in match report that Utd's 3rd goal was his first error of the season and even that one is debatable,
certainly falls in the "could have done better" category, rather than "glaring error"
Alex McCarthy on 13:40 - Sep 16 with 1922 viewsTHEBUSH

Difficult one this, I like Rob Green, but why not give McCarthy a chance.

We've been shipping in the goals, so something needs to be done.
Alex McCarthy on 13:45 - Sep 16 with 1905 viewsaston_hoop

Green made 2 or 3 excellent saves against Sunderland which could have been the difference between a 1-0 win and a 1-2 defeat. It certainly hasn't been down to Green that we've been conceding this season....plus McCarthy is 24, he has plenty of time and it wouldn't surprise me to see him make his debut in the annual FA cup 3rd round defeat in January rather than sooner.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Alex McCarthy on 13:46 - Sep 16 with 1899 viewskingsburyR

I'd make the swap.

Just to show that results are as important as preformances.

if we are shipping goals (8 in 3) then something has to change!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Alex McCarthy on 13:51 - Sep 16 with 1887 viewsQPunkR

Hang on, didn't Green crumble like an apple-based desert last time in the Prem when this happened, albeit with Brazil's greedy #1 instead?
So we're saying he's not done particularly badly but let's drop him anyway, that'll do wonders for his confidence and consequent performances
McCarthy's one for the future, definitely, but I'm sure he was told the score when he joined us, that he's back-up 'keeper for the moment.

QPR - "shit but local"

Alex McCarthy on 13:57 - Sep 16 with 1866 viewsWestbourneR

Thought Green was a bit crap versus Man Utd.

Totally harsh I know... but to explain.

I think he's very good in one on ones and good with crosses but his far from a top level shot stopper. I think some pretty unimpressive digs at goal just go in when he's playing. Rooney's strike was tame.

Whenever I've seen McCarthy I've thought he was excellent.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Alex McCarthy on 14:01 - Sep 16 with 1846 viewsNorthernr

Got to be careful with this one. Green has shown before that he performs best when he's settled, knows he's number one, can just concentrate on his game, keep relaxed etc. His best form throughout his career has been when he's an out and out clear number one with no competition. As soon as he has competition, he starts making mistakes. I've never really rated him as a keeper but he had an excellent season last year, finishing strongly, and was great against Sunderland last week. Dropping him now doesn't send a great message out to the rest of the players, nor will it do him any good confidence wise.

That said, McCarthy is bloody excellent and will hopefully be our keeper for years and years to come.
Alex McCarthy on 14:01 - Sep 16 with 1845 viewsTheBlob

Two were down to Green.Di whatsisface has been doing that throughout his career,everybody knew where it was going - except Rob.Got down too late for his second ricket of the day,and the tableau was complete.
I'd have McCarthy in like a shot.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Alex McCarthy on 14:06 - Sep 16 with 1827 viewssimmo

I like McCarthy and look forward to seeing him play reguarly for us at some point, but Green has been in great form for us so far, including the end of last season and should not be dropped on the basis that he conceded a goal at his near post.

Yes we have shipped 9 goals so far this season, but hardly any of those are down to Green, more so the team in front of him deployed and prepared by the coaching staff. Unless there's a prolonged loss of form from Green or McCarthy is absolutely tearing it up in training, I would keep things as they are for this season.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Alex McCarthy on 14:07 - Sep 16 with 1821 viewsJamie

Alex McCarthy on 14:01 - Sep 16 by Northernr

Got to be careful with this one. Green has shown before that he performs best when he's settled, knows he's number one, can just concentrate on his game, keep relaxed etc. His best form throughout his career has been when he's an out and out clear number one with no competition. As soon as he has competition, he starts making mistakes. I've never really rated him as a keeper but he had an excellent season last year, finishing strongly, and was great against Sunderland last week. Dropping him now doesn't send a great message out to the rest of the players, nor will it do him any good confidence wise.

That said, McCarthy is bloody excellent and will hopefully be our keeper for years and years to come.

Do you wait for Green to throw one in against Stoke in order to help his confidence though?

McCarthy clearly is the planned #1, has been a #1 in the PL before and isn't an accident waiting to happen. Harsh on Green perhaps, but he simply isn't someone you can rely on.
Alex McCarthy on 14:08 - Sep 16 with 1824 viewsadhoc_qpr

Agree i thought 2 of the goals were Green's fault, but i wouldn't drop him for that. His save from Falcao was good though.

If he has a prolonged dip in form though, we now have options.

Rio has been responsible for almost half of the goals we've conceded so far, but there is no chance he will be dropped,
Alex McCarthy on 14:08 - Sep 16 with 1820 viewssimmo

Alex McCarthy on 14:01 - Sep 16 by TheBlob

Two were down to Green.Di whatsisface has been doing that throughout his career,everybody knew where it was going - except Rob.Got down too late for his second ricket of the day,and the tableau was complete.

Harsh to blame him for that free kick, they are a nightmare for keepers... Any sort of touch and it's in the other side, or he lets it play out and tries to get there before it goes in, which he couldnt do due to the pace of the delivery. He actually had an identical free kick to face in the Play Off final, in that game he got to the ball to turn it round the post, a great save and one of many.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Alex McCarthy on 14:13 - Sep 16 with 1813 viewsTheBlob

Alex McCarthy on 14:08 - Sep 16 by simmo

Harsh to blame him for that free kick, they are a nightmare for keepers... Any sort of touch and it's in the other side, or he lets it play out and tries to get there before it goes in, which he couldnt do due to the pace of the delivery. He actually had an identical free kick to face in the Play Off final, in that game he got to the ball to turn it round the post, a great save and one of many.

Simmo,he should have stayed over on his right,that's where it almost always goes.A decent keeper will have done the research,same as penalties.That's the job of the wall covering the difficult option so you get a clear save.
Ah what the hell,it might not have been quite so shit a day.....who knows.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2014 14:14]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Alex McCarthy on 14:30 - Sep 16 with 1777 viewsLoft1979

Alex McCarthy on 14:01 - Sep 16 by TheBlob

Alex signed for QPR over Liverpool. Because he knew he stood a better chance of displacing Green than Mignolet.
Alex McCarthy on 14:34 - Sep 16 with 1768 viewsdaveB

I thought Green should have done better with all four goals, flat footed for 3 of them and couldn't get anywhere near them. I wouldn't drop him yet as none of them were clangers but I think Mccarthy will replace him soon
Alex McCarthy on 14:58 - Sep 16 with 1724 viewsQPunkR

That free kick was devilishly difficult for any 'keeper to judge what's going to happen to it. I'd be far more worried about Ferdinand going for it and at the last second pulling out, allowing it to bounce into the net

QPR - "shit but local"

Alex McCarthy on 15:06 - Sep 16 with 1698 viewsMatch82

Tough to completely blame Green for more than one of those goals IMO

He also made some fantastic saves in the 2nd half - yes the game was over at that point, but it easily could have ended up 6 or 7 without Green
Alex McCarthy on 15:44 - Sep 16 with 1641 viewsdolcelatte

Get rid of Redknapp, Hill is finished, TF doesn't know what he is doing, Green is now a rubbish keeper, Yun is the answer, Taarabt is the messiah despite dumping us like a shot at every available opportunity and being overweight, Steve Black is the answer no hang on what is he doing with them?, Barton is a cu*t, hang on wihout him we are rubbish, Glenn Hoddle will sort us out, what is he doing with them??

Ah the fickleness of the LFW board.

How about some stability for a little while, you never know it might just do us some good. Everyone has an off day..

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Alex McCarthy on 15:53 - Sep 16 with 1619 viewsQPunkR

Alex McCarthy on 15:44 - Sep 16 by dolcelatte

Get rid of Redknapp, Hill is finished, TF doesn't know what he is doing, Green is now a rubbish keeper, Yun is the answer, Taarabt is the messiah despite dumping us like a shot at every available opportunity and being overweight, Steve Black is the answer no hang on what is he doing with them?, Barton is a cu*t, hang on wihout him we are rubbish, Glenn Hoddle will sort us out, what is he doing with them??

How about some stability for a little while, you never know it might just do us some good. Everyone has an off day..

Clive, he brought up Tarbs without cause!

QPR - "shit but local"

Alex McCarthy on 15:57 - Sep 16 with 1605 viewsJigsore

we're 4 league games into the season and you can't say Green has actually lost any of them for us. In fact at Sunderland he was very good.

dropping him now would be a real Mark Hughes move in my opinion. Sends out a poor message.

Imagine if we suddenly started selling core members of last season's team like Danny Simpson or dropping Onouha for a past it Rio Ferdinand who cares more about his f*cking low fat chips than QPR

oh. right.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Alex McCarthy on 15:57 - Sep 16 with 1607 viewsWestbourneR

Alex McCarthy on 15:44 - Sep 16 by dolcelatte

Did I mention that Charlie Austin can't cut it at this level?

Honestly though, Green does let in some pretty tame shots. Remember that absolute donkey for Wednesday last year that scored at the Loft? There are loads more examples like that too.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Alex McCarthy on 16:28 - Sep 16 with 1563 viewsINFIRMARY

Can we keep post lengths to no more than three lines , i get bored after this

Poll: F@ck OFF Arry Now

Alex McCarthy on 16:55 - Sep 16 with 1521 viewsPhilmyRs

Alex McCarthy on 14:08 - Sep 16 by simmo

Don’t think it’s that harsh. There was a very similar incident in the play-off final (from memory) where a free kick came over and it looked like someone may get a touch (didn’t) and he pulled off a good save pushing it out for a corner. On Sunday his footwork was too slow and considering his reactions are a strong part of his, he reacted slowly. I think it was a mistake and it’s fair he shoulders some of the blame although Hill more so for given such a poor foul away in the first place.

I actually think the first 3 goals, although not obvious errors, were ones a better keeper would have saved. First goal as I’ve already said, I think he reacted late and got distracted by the bodies in front of him unlike in the play-off final. Simply put, he took his eye off the ball.

Second goal I though his footwork was poor. It wasn’t a vintage strike but he covered very little ground in a lot of time. Put simply, he was slow getting down and across.

Third goal, he shouldn’t have been beaten at his near post.

I seriously worry about Green with shots from outside the box. Inside the area, reflex stops, I think he’s great, but low and hard from outside the box and your worried. I wouldn’t drop him though, it’s Stoke on Saturday and if anyone has a point to prove it’s him.
Alex McCarthy on 17:57 - Sep 16 with 1433 viewsclassof93

Green has never been a great keeper, always had dodgy footwork. Never rated him. That being said I would not drop him as want to keep up morale and not repeat what happened under Hughes. Would like to see McCarthy come in as long term keeper at some stage though.
Alex McCarthy on 12:24 - Sep 17 with 1181 viewsYorkRanger

Alex McCarthy on 17:57 - Sep 16 by classof93

Green has never been a great keeper, always had dodgy footwork. Never rated him. That being said I would not drop him as want to keep up morale and not repeat what happened under Hughes. Would like to see McCarthy come in as long term keeper at some stage though.

Agree with this. Never loved Green and at some point McCarthy will be number one. That said no grounds to drop Green at this stage
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024