Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! 10:30 - Sep 20 with 3551 viewsHadders

Helmet on, I`m going to try to stick up for Mark Hughes. OK, so he wasn`t Alec Stock, Dave Sexton or Olly, and I`m not suggesting we name a stand in his honour. He made several bad mistakes during his short spell with us, but I don`t think he was as nearly as terrible as others make out.

The plain facts are that Hughes kept us up in his first season, and Harry took us down the following year. The string of amazing, unlikely-looking wins at home at the end of 2011-12 (against Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs as well as Stoke) were wonderful to watch and kept us up, admittedly by the skin of our teeth. Against City on the final day, we also played our part by holding City at bay for so long in the most famous game of the Premier League era. The fact is, in his first half(ish) season, Hughes kept us up, just, and may have done so again in the next season if he had not been sacked in November. Based on evidence, if I had to choose a manager to set us up to play against a top-five team, I`d certainly pick Hughes before Harry. Obviously people remember the winless opening to 2012-13 that did for him, but a closer look at those results shows that the start was in some ways less alarming than this season. After the traditional opening day humiliation, results included draws with Chelsea, Everton, Norwich and Reading, and we only lost by a single goal at Arsenal and Spurs. In the twelve league games played before he was sacked, we scored in 8 of them. I am not going to defend all his signings, but would only remind people that they included Onouha and Wooaah Bobby, and did not include paying 12 million for Samba (that was Redknapp).

Hughes is a difficult person to warm to and comes across as arrogant, but evidence from other clubs shows he far from being the worst manager around, and I`m not sure there is any evidence to suggest that he deliberately tried to do anything damaging to our club. If there was a bad atmosphere in the squad, I am not sure that that was entirely his doing, either- you could just as well look to Barton (with his huge salary and terrible form at the time) and Taarabt, for example- both Warnock signings. Finally, (Hughes` signing) Bosingwa is seen as emblematic of what was wrong in that period, but getting an international player (who had just won a Champions League medal) on a free transfer probably looked like a good deal at the time.

He is an odd bloke, and some people seem to dislike him even more because he`s Welsh, which is tiny bit racist. But the chap who sent us out to beat Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs in quick succession just two years ago won`t be getting any abuse from me today.

[Post edited 20 Sep 2014 11:20]
Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 11:34 - Sep 21 with 1051 viewsdaveB

Hughes was crap for us, no idea how anyone can defend him. Those 5 wins were done more through luck than judgement when he had to turn to the Warnock players and then he dumped them the following season and went back to being rubbish again
Mark Hughes on 12:01 - Sep 21 with 1028 viewsPunteR

"Devil" means "deceiver",so therefore Hughes is the devil as he tried to deceive everyone he's a "manager".
Sorry have to edit as its incorrect.Devil doesn't mean deceiver but accuser which sort of ruins my tongue in cheek response. Hughes isn't the devil. He was just a very bad manager for us.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2014 0:34]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 13:49 - Sep 21 with 1000 viewsHadders

This doesn`t exactly back up my initial post, but helps put things in perspective a bit. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/11109257/QPR
Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 14:20 - Sep 21 with 981 viewsRedbourneR

Did we win a single away game under Hughes? I don't think so. We stayed up that first season because during Warnock's we got valuable points away.
Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 16:04 - Sep 21 with 959 viewsTacticalR

Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 14:20 - Sep 21 by RedbourneR

Did we win a single away game under Hughes? I don't think so. We stayed up that first season because during Warnock's we got valuable points away.

Not only did Hughes not do away wins, he didn't do away points.

Air hostess clique

Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 16:22 - Sep 21 with 951 viewsthemodfather

hughes was given total support, he was given the whole restructuring of the club
he had money to spend and cocked it up, big time.
all based on ??
Mark Hughes on 17:56 - Sep 21 with 920 viewsHadders

I never said he did well, obviously - only that he might not have been quite the antichrist we now paint him as. I would still argue that he MIGHT have turned it around if he hadn`t been sacked, though obviously there were serious problems. All managers make mistakes, and obviously he wasn`t given a lot of time to redeem himself. That article I posted raises the question: If his record elsewhere shows him to be quite a decent manager,why did he do so badly with us? It`s interesting that he now admits to mistakes in trying to change the squad so quickly. Should he have been allowed to spend so freely?
[Post edited 21 Sep 2014 18:03]
Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 09:16 - Sep 22 with 856 viewshighlandbill

Have hated Hughes until I saw him interviewed on Sunday.He was big enough to admit that Rangers fans were justified in expecting more of him, and that he had let them down. For me this completely vindicates him as a person.

At my age I should not be doing this!

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 09:31 - Sep 22 with 851 viewsmakaveli1882

Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 16:04 - Sep 21 by TacticalR

Not only did Hughes not do away wins, he didn't do away points.

False ............ drew against Villa and Norwich
Mark Hughes "Not The Devil" Shock! on 20:03 - Sep 22 with 824 viewscoolranger

No, Mark Hughes is not the devil. But he does himself no favours and has a hugely inflated opinion of himself.

Analyse 'Team Hughes' record - solid in part, disappointing in places, has still not pulled up any trees in over 10 years. Where the 'huge ambition' statement is justified is beyond me, I simply don't believe he / his team will do anything more than keep an already solid club in mid-table.

In terms of his media appearances, he is awful - clearly doesn't like any spotlight. Always looks like he has just sucked on a bitter lemon, never smiles, no humility, no warmth, nothing original - just a jutting jaw and standard answers to every question.

Don't think he is particularly bright or innovative.

Delegates almost everything and yet doesn't like to be the front man, just enjoys the £x million salary.

Never stuck his arm up after the disaster he oversaw at Rangers, just took his pay-off after a sojourn bordering on negligence, and retired to his Cheshire mansion until a new opportunity emerged.

Zero charisma.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024