Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Fernandes 10:15 - Sep 21 with 7636 viewsHayesender

For me he has been a complete and utter failure as owner/chairman since he's been here.
From the moment he walked in and spunked a shed load of money on players like Anton Ferdinand and SWP, to then hiring Hughes and again spunking a shed load more on more wastes of spaces and then letting Redknapp do the same.
We were promoted more by luck than judgment last season and we kept hearing how we were gonna do it right this time, only for Fernandes again give in to demands in letting Redknapp sign an obviously past it Rio Ferdinand.
Warren farm, cargiant, ffp fines etc etc, this list of f#$k ups since TF has been here is endless.
Surely I can't be the only one sick of the sight of this man

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Tony Fernandes on 11:56 - Sep 21 with 1429 viewsAntti_Heinola

Think TF is an ambitious likeable man who's made some mistakes. Won't sing his name - I'll never sing the name of any owner, though. But personally I like him. Could be a lot worse.

But if the new stadium falls through, QPR could very easily disappear IMO. And that's a worry.

Bare bones.

Tony Fernandes on 12:00 - Sep 21 with 1422 viewsSpiritofGregory

Tony Fernandes on 10:38 - Sep 21 by LOTR

I don't post often, but i felt i needed to say something to respond to the ludicrous nature of this thread.

How on earth can you have a pop at Fernandes when most of us can still remember the days of Thompson, the most unpopular man in football and someone i despise to this day. You're having a go at Fernandes for putting money into the club? Would you prefer him to asset strip like some chairmans have done at other clubs. You've had a go at hiring and firing managers, would you prefer him to have kept Hughes? You've had a go at him QPR being promoted(at the first time of asking) due to luck.

I don't understand some of the "logic" espoused by some on here.

Fernandes said that he would step down as chairman if he was doing a bad job. This statement was made after we avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth. Since then we have been lumbered with a £170m debt, warren farm fell through, we were relegated and were lucky to come back up, the fiasco with car giant, possible £40m fine, possible relegation to the conference and now another nightmare season of struggle to come.

Bloody hell when taking all that into consideration surely he should step down and let Amit run the club?

I went to the Old Oak consultation event yesterday. I asked the question about Car Giant and all they could say was the club would like to talk to him but he has not responded. We have made agreements with other land owners (we have not bought land) but part of the land required falls into car giant territory and we can't build the stadium without acquiring that land.

Just a load of PR.
Tony Fernandes on 12:01 - Sep 21 with 1417 viewswood_hoop

Tony Fernandes on 11:08 - Sep 21 by QPRDave

Course if had won yesterday this thread wouldn't be here......Until the next time we lost.
As for the ffp bit, anyone who blames TF for that or thinks its a just ruling really needs to have a sit down and think...... how can it not be right for owners to put money into a business??

I do understand why the vast majority think a great deal of TF, my opinion does differ from many , I have posted critical posts of some of his actions for a good while, could be that I am totally wrong.

I would happily and publicly apologise for daring to disbelieve his actions were totally in the interests of QPR, his methods and hiring of staff were to the highest dilligence in both their suitability and financial proberty, that is what any good business would expect from its Directors and those who have the authority to the funds allocated to run the business, this imo has not been applied in the dealings of the managers or of TF many times since he took over the chairmanship.

TF to me acts very much like a 'political' candidate, promising much delivering little, promising grandoise schemes but once the facts are really understood, delivery suddenly becomes a very rocky path that looks unlikely to materalise at anywhere near what was originally proposed.

As for yesterdays result, I doubt very much that it had much degree of really changing opinions either way on how Rednapp or TF are seen in the 'big scheme' of things, a small number may now have slight doubts on the performance of HR but assuming this board is a barometer of the fan base as a whole(however unscientific) HR & TF are still well regarded by many and for the few that raise strong doubts about them, be prepared to be villified at the smallest critique you may utter.......
Tony Fernandes on 12:44 - Sep 21 with 1373 viewsIngham

Fernandes lost £120 million of QPR's money, not his own.

If it was his money, the losses would appear in his accounts, not the Club's, and QPR would have no debt at all. That is why Chairman like Fernandes comes and go, and the debt remains with the Club and continues to grow.

Because it is the Club's money that has been lost.

Squandering money from a moneylender is no different in principle to squandering wages received from an employer or money withdrawn from a bank.

The SOURCE of the money is not the same thing as the OWNER of the money. Fernandes no more owns the money QPR have squandered than the bank owns the money its customers take withdraw spend.

What Fernandes owns, like any other moneylender, is the DEBT. And in his accounts, like the Bank's, the debt is an ASSET.

In QPR's case, it is a liability. That is what the accounts tell us.

Interestingly, he thinks the £178 million mistake is 'stadium related'. What does this mean? He has lost the entire cost of the new ground (£200 million if Beard is to be believed) before it has even been built? But Beard said the Club won't even own the Ground. Even if it does, having squandered the cost of it on players, what will QPR do to get it built?

Borrow ANOTHER £200 million? So, a small, struggling Club, will have lost nearly £400 million. Chelsea spent less putting together title-winning teams under managers who had won the Premiership, Champions League or World Cup. Even after a decade, their losses were barely more than double that sum.

What has TF done to even remotely justify his claim that we will have 40,000 supporters and 'world class talent' in a few years?

Great discussion, good to see such a wide range of views expressed with such goodwill and good humour.
Tony Fernandes on 12:48 - Sep 21 with 1370 viewsLoft1979

Tony Fernandes on 10:38 - Sep 21 by LOTR

I don't post often, but i felt i needed to say something to respond to the ludicrous nature of this thread.

How on earth can you have a pop at Fernandes when most of us can still remember the days of Thompson, the most unpopular man in football and someone i despise to this day. You're having a go at Fernandes for putting money into the club? Would you prefer him to asset strip like some chairmans have done at other clubs. You've had a go at hiring and firing managers, would you prefer him to have kept Hughes? You've had a go at him QPR being promoted(at the first time of asking) due to luck.

I don't understand some of the "logic" espoused by some on here.

Please keep it up.

TF . You have a lot of support. There are some who just won't be happy until a certain rich billionaire Russian takes over at Rangers.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2014 12:54]
Tony Fernandes on 12:51 - Sep 21 with 1360 viewsflynnbo

Some people have short memories.
Tony Fernandes on 12:56 - Sep 21 with 1352 viewsHayesender

Tony Fernandes on 12:44 - Sep 21 by Ingham

Fernandes lost £120 million of QPR's money, not his own.

If it was his money, the losses would appear in his accounts, not the Club's, and QPR would have no debt at all. That is why Chairman like Fernandes comes and go, and the debt remains with the Club and continues to grow.

Because it is the Club's money that has been lost.

Squandering money from a moneylender is no different in principle to squandering wages received from an employer or money withdrawn from a bank.

The SOURCE of the money is not the same thing as the OWNER of the money. Fernandes no more owns the money QPR have squandered than the bank owns the money its customers take withdraw spend.

What Fernandes owns, like any other moneylender, is the DEBT. And in his accounts, like the Bank's, the debt is an ASSET.

In QPR's case, it is a liability. That is what the accounts tell us.

Interestingly, he thinks the £178 million mistake is 'stadium related'. What does this mean? He has lost the entire cost of the new ground (£200 million if Beard is to be believed) before it has even been built? But Beard said the Club won't even own the Ground. Even if it does, having squandered the cost of it on players, what will QPR do to get it built?

Borrow ANOTHER £200 million? So, a small, struggling Club, will have lost nearly £400 million. Chelsea spent less putting together title-winning teams under managers who had won the Premiership, Champions League or World Cup. Even after a decade, their losses were barely more than double that sum.

What has TF done to even remotely justify his claim that we will have 40,000 supporters and 'world class talent' in a few years?

Great discussion, good to see such a wide range of views expressed with such goodwill and good humour.

Christ, when you see it like that, that is bloody frightening

Tony Fernandes on 12:57 - Sep 21 with 1352 viewsThGrimRanger

I really like the bloke. He's made mistakes and is still making some but I believe he's getting better. Bar the playoffs he's had no luck.

The men who currently hold the key positions are Redknapp/Beard/Hoddle and he trusts and empowers them to get on with their jobs. At the point these people joined QPR they were the very best available for their respective positions and far better than we deserve considering our size. He then continues to spunk his cash in on new players.

...so why should he be the one who gets the blame?????

TheGrimRanger

Login to get fewer ads

Tony Fernandes on 13:02 - Sep 21 with 1340 viewsLoft1979

Tony Fernandes on 12:57 - Sep 21 by ThGrimRanger

I really like the bloke. He's made mistakes and is still making some but I believe he's getting better. Bar the playoffs he's had no luck.

The men who currently hold the key positions are Redknapp/Beard/Hoddle and he trusts and empowers them to get on with their jobs. At the point these people joined QPR they were the very best available for their respective positions and far better than we deserve considering our size. He then continues to spunk his cash in on new players.

...so why should he be the one who gets the blame?????

We are a proud club in the Prem, and unlike Fabio and Bernie he is willing to compete at this level. Very proud of him. One only need look at the Vincent tans and several others to see what we could have had.
Tony Fernandes on 13:03 - Sep 21 with 1334 viewsThGrimRanger

sorry but I don't agree with this.

QPR is in debt to them and if it does all goes pear-shaped then we go into admin and TF and his investors lose the lot.

TheGrimRanger

Tony Fernandes on 13:04 - Sep 21 with 1329 viewsdaveB

Tony Fernandes on 12:00 - Sep 21 by SpiritofGregory

Fernandes said that he would step down as chairman if he was doing a bad job. This statement was made after we avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth. Since then we have been lumbered with a £170m debt, warren farm fell through, we were relegated and were lucky to come back up, the fiasco with car giant, possible £40m fine, possible relegation to the conference and now another nightmare season of struggle to come.

Bloody hell when taking all that into consideration surely he should step down and let Amit run the club?

I went to the Old Oak consultation event yesterday. I asked the question about Car Giant and all they could say was the club would like to talk to him but he has not responded. We have made agreements with other land owners (we have not bought land) but part of the land required falls into car giant territory and we can't build the stadium without acquiring that land.

Just a load of PR.

I'm not sure the car giant issue is a fiasco. We are both going to submit plans for the land and in the end one of them will be approved and happen. If Car Giant don't want to talk to the club thats up to them, obviously the damage done by paladini and co over the car giant sponsorship has left them not wanting to trust the club anymore.

As for 40 million fines and relegation to the conference we'll have to see on that, I'm not sure either will actually happen
Tony Fernandes on 13:14 - Sep 21 with 1319 viewsDylanP

Tony Fernandes on 11:16 - Sep 21 by Hayesender

Not pathetic at all.

What I find pathetic is grown men singing the name of a multi - millionaire like he's some kind of hero, when the reality is he is all hot air and bulls@$t

Completely pathetic. Like a spoiled child with no memory or perspective. Wah wah wah! Its ridiculous.

If Amit was made Chairman, you would turn on him soon enough.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Tony Fernandes on 13:18 - Sep 21 with 1306 viewsHayesender

Tony Fernandes on 13:14 - Sep 21 by DylanP

Completely pathetic. Like a spoiled child with no memory or perspective. Wah wah wah! Its ridiculous.

I would love Amir and Ikshan (sp) as chairman and Co chairman again.

Fernandes is running riot with the future of OUR club seriously at stake.

Still, at least he can rely on idiots such as yourself for support.

Let me know your address so I can send you a bucket of sand to stick your head in

Tony Fernandes on 13:23 - Sep 21 with 1298 viewswood_hoop

Tony Fernandes on 13:14 - Sep 21 by DylanP

these comments remind me of when I was but a surly teenager out with his mates and hitting on the 'wallflower' of the party...

'She may not be a looker, but got a great personality'
Tony Fernandes on 13:26 - Sep 21 with 1289 viewsTheBlob

You lot must have shit lives.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Tony Fernandes on 13:28 - Sep 21 with 1262 viewsRuislipHoop

Two questions,are we better now as a team than we were when he took over . Imo ,no. Is the club better off with him ,yes.
I do agree that he talks a lot of rubbish. Warren Farm and the new ground are pipe dreams and propaganda to keep the fans happy.
Tony Fernandes on 13:34 - Sep 21 with 1242 viewsbarabajagal

I would like to remind you that our natural level is that of a league one club, given our size. We are currently punching far above our weight because of Fernandez and the Mittals. When he leaves, we'll go back to the wilderness, with 11,000 of us in a windy LR (or where ever) watching us lose at home to Colchester, Cheltenham or Barnet. May I suggest that you enjoy the ride while it lasts, Fernandez appears to me to be one of the better chairman, and it's fun having him around. Just look what is happening to Fulham since Fayad took flight, that will be us at some point. Go on their forums if you want to see what life will be like without Uncle Tony.
Tony Fernandes on 13:36 - Sep 21 with 1236 viewsHayesender

Tony Fernandes on 13:26 - Sep 21 by TheBlob

You lot must have shit lives.

Yep

Tony Fernandes on 14:08 - Sep 21 with 1211 viewsMancR

Sorry Hayes the opening Post was and is pathetic . Without the aid of a time machine what more could the chairman have done to make us a more successful club?
Tony Fernandes on 14:43 - Sep 21 with 1168 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Were people happy under Briatore? No not at all. Were people happy wheb Fernandes took over? Yes. Were people happy when he put in money to try and help build our squad? Yes. Were people happy with most of the signings we made under Fernandes (before they had played games for us)? Yes. Were people happy he kept showing his ambitions for the club and wanted us to do well? Yes. Were people happy with the signings this Summer? Yes. All Fernandes has done is try to make QPR a better club. On paper Hughes and Redknapp did not seem like bad managers to bring in, Harry former England manager candidate, both with reasonably successful managerial careers. Most people were happy that we were signing players like SWP and Traore, most people were happy with Caulker and Fer. The fault of our failings has not been down to Fernandes, it is down to the players and managers who have failed to achieve the standards they should be performing at. Fernandes couldn't possibly have known Hughes would fail so badly, he sacked him, he brought in Redknapp, while he hasnt performed well he still got us promoted. I just don't see why Fernandes should get slated for things that were not his fault, but the fault of the players and managers who did not live up to the performances they should be giving

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Tony Fernandes on 15:42 - Sep 21 with 1124 viewsQPR442

Tony Fernandes on 10:54 - Sep 21 by Discodroids

i remember richard thompson, the nosferatu of loftus road.

made mr barlow in 'salem's lot ' look like a warm human being.

Why have you posted a picture of Manchester Utd's Di María?
Tony Fernandes on 15:56 - Sep 21 with 1102 viewsnadera78

Tony Fernandes on 13:34 - Sep 21 by barabajagal

I would like to remind you that our natural level is that of a league one club, given our size. We are currently punching far above our weight because of Fernandez and the Mittals. When he leaves, we'll go back to the wilderness, with 11,000 of us in a windy LR (or where ever) watching us lose at home to Colchester, Cheltenham or Barnet. May I suggest that you enjoy the ride while it lasts, Fernandez appears to me to be one of the better chairman, and it's fun having him around. Just look what is happening to Fulham since Fayad took flight, that will be us at some point. Go on their forums if you want to see what life will be like without Uncle Tony.

A couple of people have made this claim about being a league one club recently, and it's utter bull sh@t.
Tony Fernandes on 16:45 - Sep 21 with 1054 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Tony Fernandes on 14:43 - Sep 21 by RANGERS4EVER

Were people happy under Briatore? No not at all. Were people happy wheb Fernandes took over? Yes. Were people happy when he put in money to try and help build our squad? Yes. Were people happy with most of the signings we made under Fernandes (before they had played games for us)? Yes. Were people happy he kept showing his ambitions for the club and wanted us to do well? Yes. Were people happy with the signings this Summer? Yes. All Fernandes has done is try to make QPR a better club. On paper Hughes and Redknapp did not seem like bad managers to bring in, Harry former England manager candidate, both with reasonably successful managerial careers. Most people were happy that we were signing players like SWP and Traore, most people were happy with Caulker and Fer. The fault of our failings has not been down to Fernandes, it is down to the players and managers who have failed to achieve the standards they should be performing at. Fernandes couldn't possibly have known Hughes would fail so badly, he sacked him, he brought in Redknapp, while he hasnt performed well he still got us promoted. I just don't see why Fernandes should get slated for things that were not his fault, but the fault of the players and managers who did not live up to the performances they should be giving

Spot on.

It's got to be Yarg

Tony Fernandes on 17:38 - Sep 21 with 990 viewsColombiR

Tony Fernandes on 11:56 - Sep 21 by Antti_Heinola

Think TF is an ambitious likeable man who's made some mistakes. Won't sing his name - I'll never sing the name of any owner, though. But personally I like him. Could be a lot worse.

But if the new stadium falls through, QPR could very easily disappear IMO. And that's a worry.

Antti, normally agree with every word you say, but don't see you logic here.
Am I missing something? Why would the new stadium falling through make us disappear?

Are we going to get booted out of Loftus Road? The only reason I could see for that is if we can't pay our debts and lenders have rights over our assets...well that would be entirely Fernandes' fault.

If you mean the stadium is too small... well maybe it is for a Premiership club. But:
a) each year gate receipts are a lower percentage of Premiership clubs, so difference between revenue bases depending on attendances should be getting smaller. With such big TV money on offer, the chances of breaking a world order determined by attendances becomes a lot bigger.
b) 18,000 maybe too small for a Premiership club, but it's not for a League One club. In fact if it came down to it, I'd rather watch QPR in League One at Loftus Road than as a yo-yo club between Premiership and Championship in the middle of a retail park . Appreciate not everyone agrees with me. But playing in League One would not be QPR "disappearing".

I'd previously thought Fernandes was a bit of a clown-like figure with good intentions, obviously some business talent, but no football knowledge (and especially a horrific lack of self-awareness about his own lack of football culture knowledge that makes his tweets utterly cringeworthy).

I now still think that but am more worried about what his "good intentions" mean. I think he THINKS he's doing the best for QPR, because he thinks QPR and his own business interests are aligned by happy coincidence. But I think he's doing it while risking the club's future, which in a business venture is normal. This is just like the risk Fernandes took building up AirAsia, except there he was an unestablished businessman and all that was at risk was his own wealth and an airline brand.

Now, there are two key differences. Firstly, measuring AirAsia's success is as simple as looking at its share price. With a football club there are far more variables and I'd say the satisfaction the club gives to its fan base is probably the best way of measuring its success. Secondly, QPR is more than a brand name. A historical institution at the centre of a community and thousands of people's lives. Not to mention the fact that Fernandes now has a bigger fortune, a consortium of investors and

Personally I think precedents like Chester and Wimbledon (much smaller clubs than us) show that QPR will NEVER disappear. Maybe we would do a Portsmouth if Fernandes walked out and couldn't find a buyer. But we'd still exist. Even if we were liquidated, there are too many of us: we'd rise again a la AFC Wimbledon.

Can't control this, however. Can just worry about my short term happiness: in that he realises how poor the manager he loves so much is.
Tony Fernandes on 17:41 - Sep 21 with 975 viewskropotkin41

Doing a Portsmouth sounds pretty attractive to me at the moment............. wouldn't that mean we could end up owning a bit of the club? Playing in the League again? Stay at Loftus Road? Not see another overblown "star" player for several years at least? There's an upside I tell you.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024