Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
30 years ago TODAY 13:10 - Sep 22 with 3257 viewsWalnut

QPR 5 Newcastle 5. Micklewhite lashing home in added time one of my best QPR memories.
30 years ago TODAY on 13:15 - Sep 22 with 2590 viewsmacclesfieldman

I drove down from Manchester in my mini850 with Andy, Ian (RIP) Eric and a Newcaster supporting work colleague. We wanted to leave at HT 0-4, if the Geordie hadn't of insisted on staying we would have missed the best come-back in our history.
Jack Charlton was furious after the game.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

30 years ago TODAY on 13:43 - Sep 22 with 2555 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I remember this game so well as it was the only time I have ever considered leaving early (and we are talking half time here!)
Four nil down at half time. What a game. It felt like we had won the Cup when that last minute equaliser went in. I also remember the Geordies shaking our hands as we came out despite how they must have felt. I think everyone knew they had witnessed a special game and were just pleased to have been there.
30 years ago TODAY on 13:47 - Sep 22 with 2544 viewsheadhoops

Despite it being 4-0 at halftime we said a goal and we were back in it - they looked unstoppable going forward and pony at the back. at 3-5 somehow you just knew we would get a result. Fantastic match - one where every QPR and Newcastle fan says they were there - not certain the crowd was 80,000 though......

micklewhite - not the most talented player we ever had but always put a shift in.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

30 years ago TODAY on 13:52 - Sep 22 with 2534 viewsSnipper

Well I did leave at half time. The mate I was with never let me forget it either.
30 years ago TODAY on 14:07 - Sep 22 with 2514 viewsN12Hoop

I recall there were a bunch of Newcastle fans sitting behind me who were most pleased with themselves at half time. When it went to 5-3 I was convinced that it was over. What a day!

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

30 years ago TODAY on 14:51 - Sep 22 with 2482 viewsrichranger

During Alan Mullery's time in charge too. Never a dull moment that season.

Highs - 3-0 against Forest - perhaps the best all round performance by a QPR team I've seen.
6-2 against Partizan Belgrade - magical Euro night at Highbury

Lows - 0-5 against Spuds - pathetic
0-4 against Partizan - has any other team lost a 2 legged Euro tie after scoring 6 in the first leg?

And highs and lows in the same game against Newcastle.

In fact all those games were within about 6 weeks of each other!
30 years ago TODAY on 14:59 - Sep 22 with 2474 viewsThaiHoop

My Grandad used to get complimentary tickets and that's how I started at Rangers, my old man wasn't a Rangers fan (or even a massive footy fan) so they used to give the tickets to a friend of the family on the proviso he took the 10 year old me along with him.

That particular week my Grandad had been off work and didn't get the tickets but the guy said he'd take me along and pay for my ticket that week. Thank God he did as it is indeed one of the best memories of watching Rangers!

Incidentally, the guy's was named Mark Bolton and he had a mate called Steve, they used to take me in the Crown and Sceptre every week before the game and I loved it. Lost touch with him a year or two later and would love to speak to him now if anyone here happens to know him?!
30 years ago TODAY on 14:59 - Sep 22 with 2472 viewsJAPRANGERS

I believe that this was the game for which Clive gave some paltry excuse, like only being 2 days old, for not doing the match report.
Login to get fewer ads

30 years ago TODAY on 15:04 - Sep 22 with 2467 viewslosethedrum

I think the week before we had lost 5-0 at spurs ( clive allen hat - trick ) and so when we went 4-0 down at half time things looked grim indeed . Those of us on the loftus road terracing that stayed for the 2nd half were singing our hearts out at 4-1 down and quickly the rest of the ground were roaring the Rangers on . This was the most influence i have ever seen on a team from the crowd , it was something else and when the equaliser went in the crowd scenes & noise were extraordinary to say the least . The greatest match/comeback i have ever seen in my 44 years of watching QPR .
30 years ago TODAY on 15:09 - Sep 22 with 2458 viewsDWQPR

Stood in the lower loft for that game just to the right of the goal, the end of the pitch that only saw one of the ten goals go in! When Micklewhite hit that shot just inside the box at the end of the game from my vantage point you could see that it would only end up in the back of the net. A fantastic game where Waddle tore us a new one in the first half. Some real strange football under Mullery, as someone said, against Forest we were absolutely fantastic and yet a week later or so at Spuds we were woeful as Clive Allen filled his boots.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

30 years ago TODAY on 16:18 - Sep 22 with 2406 viewsmacclesfieldman

30 years ago TODAY on 14:59 - Sep 22 by ThaiHoop

My Grandad used to get complimentary tickets and that's how I started at Rangers, my old man wasn't a Rangers fan (or even a massive footy fan) so they used to give the tickets to a friend of the family on the proviso he took the 10 year old me along with him.

That particular week my Grandad had been off work and didn't get the tickets but the guy said he'd take me along and pay for my ticket that week. Thank God he did as it is indeed one of the best memories of watching Rangers!

Incidentally, the guy's was named Mark Bolton and he had a mate called Steve, they used to take me in the Crown and Sceptre every week before the game and I loved it. Lost touch with him a year or two later and would love to speak to him now if anyone here happens to know him?!

Hi Thai, Mark & Steve were both friends of mine and came to my wedding in 1982. Mark was a school teacher at Box Hill, Surrey and Steve lived in Chessington. They were happy days. Are you still in touch with them?

30 years ago TODAY on 16:27 - Sep 22 with 2396 viewsThaiHoop

30 years ago TODAY on 16:18 - Sep 22 by macclesfieldman

Hi Thai, Mark & Steve were both friends of mine and came to my wedding in 1982. Mark was a school teacher at Box Hill, Surrey and Steve lived in Chessington. They were happy days. Are you still in touch with them?

No but I'd love to be! He took me to games for another season after that one and then stopped (can't really remember why - but probably that I got in the way of the post match drinking!!!).

He was indeed a teacher at Box Hill (I am from Dorking) and knew my Mum through mates who also taught there.

We always used to pick Steve up at Chessington on the way then head to the C&S for drinks (coke and crisps time for me of course!). Steve was always the larier of the two but Mark had a weird hatred for Sheffield Wednesday (and therefore Gary Bannister!) that always got him going! I remember after that Newcastle game he was giving loads of their fans grief as they were shepherded out of their end across SA Road - we all got covered in the spit aimed at him! (if my Mum had any clue he was behaving like that she would have gone mental , ha ha!)

They are happy memories and I would love to get in touch with him!
30 years ago TODAY on 16:32 - Sep 22 with 2390 viewsJAPRANGERS

30 years ago TODAY on 16:27 - Sep 22 by ThaiHoop

No but I'd love to be! He took me to games for another season after that one and then stopped (can't really remember why - but probably that I got in the way of the post match drinking!!!).

He was indeed a teacher at Box Hill (I am from Dorking) and knew my Mum through mates who also taught there.

We always used to pick Steve up at Chessington on the way then head to the C&S for drinks (coke and crisps time for me of course!). Steve was always the larier of the two but Mark had a weird hatred for Sheffield Wednesday (and therefore Gary Bannister!) that always got him going! I remember after that Newcastle game he was giving loads of their fans grief as they were shepherded out of their end across SA Road - we all got covered in the spit aimed at him! (if my Mum had any clue he was behaving like that she would have gone mental , ha ha!)

They are happy memories and I would love to get in touch with him!

I guess the military are still in charge in Thailand now?? Does this impact on your daily life at all?? I remember you describing the troubles you had getting to see the play-off final because of the curfew.
30 years ago TODAY on 16:38 - Sep 22 with 2381 viewsThaiHoop

30 years ago TODAY on 16:32 - Sep 22 by JAPRANGERS

I guess the military are still in charge in Thailand now?? Does this impact on your daily life at all?? I remember you describing the troubles you had getting to see the play-off final because of the curfew.

Yeah that was just after they'd taken over but to be fair since then they've been nothing but a positive influence on the country.

They've got rid of loads of corruption and cleaned up beaches etc, only thing I really don't like is the ban on anyone saying negative about them which doesn't sit well with me at all (but most Thais are used to this due to the Les Majeste rules with regard to the royal family)

Having said that - my work went to immigration to renew my visa today - if that didn't go well the General will join the list of people I want out (current population of that list is one and he's in charge of the other shambles I love!!)
30 years ago TODAY on 16:56 - Sep 22 with 2361 viewsJAPRANGERS

30 years ago TODAY on 16:38 - Sep 22 by ThaiHoop

Yeah that was just after they'd taken over but to be fair since then they've been nothing but a positive influence on the country.

They've got rid of loads of corruption and cleaned up beaches etc, only thing I really don't like is the ban on anyone saying negative about them which doesn't sit well with me at all (but most Thais are used to this due to the Les Majeste rules with regard to the royal family)

Having said that - my work went to immigration to renew my visa today - if that didn't go well the General will join the list of people I want out (current population of that list is one and he's in charge of the other shambles I love!!)

OK thanks, for your interesting reply!

And yes, if we want to stay in the premier, we are just going to have to have a change of mangler, I mean manager, At 67, he's way past his sell by date.
30 years ago TODAY on 17:32 - Sep 22 with 2337 viewsMonkey

30 years ago and I can still remember more about that afternoon than most others since. When we got one back I hardly acknowledged it; the second got a clap; the third I suddenly got interested. My god, we can do it! Only that seemed short lived when it went to 3-5. Then 4-5 and the great escape was back on again. The equaliser, well, sheer pandemonium. Kind of knew then I'd never witness a better game of football.
30 years ago TODAY on 18:31 - Sep 22 with 2294 viewsmacclesfieldman

Steve (Smith) is on facebook, if you can search my friends you will find him. He lives in the Midlands now. I used to drive down from Manchester with 3 friends and we always drank in the C&S so we probably met.

30 years ago TODAY on 19:03 - Sep 22 with 2271 viewsBrianMcCarthy

30 years ago TODAY on 14:51 - Sep 22 by richranger

During Alan Mullery's time in charge too. Never a dull moment that season.

Highs - 3-0 against Forest - perhaps the best all round performance by a QPR team I've seen.
6-2 against Partizan Belgrade - magical Euro night at Highbury

Lows - 0-5 against Spuds - pathetic
0-4 against Partizan - has any other team lost a 2 legged Euro tie after scoring 6 in the first leg?

And highs and lows in the same game against Newcastle.

In fact all those games were within about 6 weeks of each other!

"0-4 against Partizan - has any other team lost a 2 legged Euro tie after scoring 6 in the first leg?"

Seem to remember we were the first. Also remember a story doing the rounds, backed up a player interview much later, that as the team trudges off Mullery was following them screaming to get back on the pitch for extra time!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

30 years ago TODAY on 19:12 - Sep 22 with 2265 viewsMrSheen

30 years ago TODAY on 17:32 - Sep 22 by Monkey

30 years ago and I can still remember more about that afternoon than most others since. When we got one back I hardly acknowledged it; the second got a clap; the third I suddenly got interested. My god, we can do it! Only that seemed short lived when it went to 3-5. Then 4-5 and the great escape was back on again. The equaliser, well, sheer pandemonium. Kind of knew then I'd never witness a better game of football.

Not quite how I remember it. They were rightly booed off at half time, but the gallows humour kicked in and they were cheered back on the pitch for the second half and it all went from there. Two other highlights were a brilliant Waddle goal in the first half and one of ours (Warren Neill?) hitting his own bar from the halfway line.
30 years ago TODAY on 20:36 - Sep 22 with 2222 viewssmegma

30 years ago TODAY on 13:52 - Sep 22 by Snipper

Well I did leave at half time. The mate I was with never let me forget it either.

No surprise there Mark. I wasn't even tempted. I remember the following season being in a similar position vs Spurs but lightning didn't strike twice as it finished 2-5.
30 years ago TODAY on 20:50 - Sep 22 with 2218 viewsthehat

Bloody hell thirty years ago and I remember the day like it was yesterday who I went with and where I was standing (Lower Loft) The noise that day made the hairs stand up on your back.
30 years ago TODAY on 20:56 - Sep 22 with 2212 viewsibnumber10

That was a special day, I'm sure we had a goal disallowed before we equalised
30 years ago TODAY on 21:19 - Sep 22 with 2204 viewsbosh67

Fantastic goal at the end from Micklewhite. I remember that game so well.

When I saw the thread was called '30 years ago TODAY' I thought the next sentence was going to be 'our next transfer target was 16'.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

30 years ago TODAY on 21:29 - Sep 22 with 2194 viewsbaz_qpr

Greatest game I've ever seen and was it Dawes who nearly scored the 50 yard own goal in the last minutes with the score at 5-5
30 years ago TODAY on 22:14 - Sep 22 with 2174 viewsMonahoop

Was at that game. I don't think I'll see another like it. I remember getting blasted by some R's fans standing behind me who had an obvious sense of humour loss at half time when I retorted 'cheerfully' that we would not lose this game. At the end they wanted to get my autograph, well not quite, just a few hearty pats on the back! My vocal chords resembled Rod Stewarts for about a week afterwards.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024