Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? 17:39 - Sep 22 with 5954 viewsAntti_Heinola

While I can't bear Redknapp, I think he should stay, and we shouldn't consider sacking him if and when we are relegated. It was a stance TF should have taken with Warnock - in fact, that decision set off a train of events that we've struggled with ever since. Relegation and a fresh start without a huge debt would have been preferable to what has happened.

But I digress. I'm a firm believer that owners should, at all times, regardless of how happy they are with their manager, have a short list of five or six names that they would be following and considering as their next manager, were circumstances to change. With managers changing regularly anyway, and with Harry absolutely certain to not be here for much more than 2 years at most, that seems imperative to me. This is what Swansea do.

So, who should TF be looking at now? Who should our club's representatives be studying, watching, looking at their style of play etc? Who is the next Pochettino or Rodgers that we could poach?

Bare bones.

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:00 - Sep 22 with 2662 viewsDiscodroids

id have kenny jackett back in a heartbeat.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2014 18:02]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:02 - Sep 22 with 2659 viewsTheBlob

It IS a Harry Out thread really isn't it.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:04 - Sep 22 with 2656 viewsTacticalR

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:02 - Sep 22 by TheBlob

It IS a Harry Out thread really isn't it.

You can't get one in before you get one out. Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Jim.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2014 18:04]

Air hostess clique

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:08 - Sep 22 with 2637 viewsTheBlob

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:04 - Sep 22 by TacticalR

You can't get one in before you get one out. Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Jim.

Have ye nae hurrrrrrddddd of job sharin' and dirrrrrecters o' futba?

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:15 - Sep 22 with 2610 viewsted_hendrix

a) If I were TF i would withdraw Redknapp's new contract offer until such times that performances and results improve, that's not unreasonable is it?
b) I would absolutely not sack Redknapp but keep him in his job until such times that Redknapp walked himself without a pay off, if that meant relegation then so be It.
c) Nor can I stand Redknapp but his success with us is in the record books, promotion at the first attempt.
d) The next Pochettino or Rodgers? I haven't got a clue but he's out there somewhere.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:31 - Sep 22 with 2580 viewsNorthernr

What the club needs...

- An appointment with a long term view. Where do we want to be in five years? In the Premier League, with a new training ground. Where do we want to be in ten years? In the Premier League, with a new training ground, and a new stadium. These all point to a director of football appointment first and foremost, somebody of great experience who can oversee the long term aims of the club, with carefully selected managers who all play a similar style. I'd have Karl Robinson from MK Dons with a more experienced DofF over the top of him, because Robinson knows what it's like to be building a club almost from scratch, getting the youth and scouting and first team all aiming for the same thing. MK Dons are the same every season, despite selling players and working on a tight budget in a league where everybody hates them. Get a style of play running through the club at all levels, and appoint managers who fit with it so you're not constantly ripping everything up and starting again when a new man is appointed - Swansea are the masters at this, West Brom used to be before the DofF left for the FA. Maybe Paul Clement, although I'm always wary of these super coach manager in waiting types, Rene Meulenstein was the last one and Steve Clarke before him, neither conspicuous successes. Big QPR connection though.

What the club will get...
- Somebody you've all heard of. Somebody who's been in the papers a lot. Somebody from the Goals on Sunday sofa. If it happened tomorrow, probably PUlis, Sherwood or Zola or Lennon. If it had happened five months ago, probably Mackay. There is nobody at our club with any football knowledge or experience whatsoever above the manager. Sack the manager and the most senior person at our club who knows anything about the sport at all is probably Clint Hill. So they're not going to notice that Paul Hartley's done well at Dundee for example. They'll come, sign ten players in their first window, ten players in their second, ten players in their third and so on. And maybe we'll do well and maybe we'll do badly, but whatever we do won't last very long term and in five years time we'll still be exactly what we are now - a yo-yo club spending vast amounts of money on football players with no real idea what to do with them or where we're going.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:35 - Sep 22 with 2569 viewsLblock

Well the dream ticket of Felix Magath and Ray Super Wilkins are available I suppose...

One's I'd like and that are feasible are:-
1. Eddie Howe
2. Sean Dyche
3. Paul Clement
4.Tony Pulis
5. Ian Holloway

If you'd asked me 6 months ago Glenda Hoddle would've been top of that list but I'm afraid the man is culpable now!!

None of the above would cost a fortune and all would shake the place up one way or another through either revolution or riot act.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:37 - Sep 22 with 2564 viewsterryb

My answer is the same as it was when we appointed Hughes & Redknapp.

Karl Robinson.
Login to get fewer ads

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:53 - Sep 22 with 2543 viewsJamie

As Norf says, it would be whoever the latest flavour of the month is.

If Arry walked tomorrow we would either appoint Pulis or Sherwood.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:59 - Sep 22 with 2529 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:31 - Sep 22 by Northernr

What the club needs...

- An appointment with a long term view. Where do we want to be in five years? In the Premier League, with a new training ground. Where do we want to be in ten years? In the Premier League, with a new training ground, and a new stadium. These all point to a director of football appointment first and foremost, somebody of great experience who can oversee the long term aims of the club, with carefully selected managers who all play a similar style. I'd have Karl Robinson from MK Dons with a more experienced DofF over the top of him, because Robinson knows what it's like to be building a club almost from scratch, getting the youth and scouting and first team all aiming for the same thing. MK Dons are the same every season, despite selling players and working on a tight budget in a league where everybody hates them. Get a style of play running through the club at all levels, and appoint managers who fit with it so you're not constantly ripping everything up and starting again when a new man is appointed - Swansea are the masters at this, West Brom used to be before the DofF left for the FA. Maybe Paul Clement, although I'm always wary of these super coach manager in waiting types, Rene Meulenstein was the last one and Steve Clarke before him, neither conspicuous successes. Big QPR connection though.

- Somebody you've all heard of. Somebody who's been in the papers a lot. Somebody from the Goals on Sunday sofa. If it happened tomorrow, probably PUlis, Sherwood or Zola or Lennon. If it had happened five months ago, probably Mackay. There is nobody at our club with any football knowledge or experience whatsoever above the manager. Sack the manager and the most senior person at our club who knows anything about the sport at all is probably Clint Hill. So they're not going to notice that Paul Hartley's done well at Dundee for example. They'll come, sign ten players in their first window, ten players in their second, ten players in their third and so on. And maybe we'll do well and maybe we'll do badly, but whatever we do won't last very long term and in five years time we'll still be exactly what we are now - a yo-yo club spending vast amounts of money on football players with no real idea what to do with them or where we're going.

Precisely this.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:01 - Sep 22 with 2521 viewsjoolsyp

Karl Robinson for me too. With Steve Gallen as his number two.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:07 - Sep 22 with 2506 viewsHunterhoop

What the club needs...

100% correct.

Certainly on the first half, hopefully not on the second, but I fear it will be true.

The question is, when? When do you make a change? I think most agree with the appointment you want. But do we wait to see which league we're in? Do we do it in order to stay in the league? Do we wait to HR's contract is up for financial reasons?

I don't TF has a plan on this. I think he's "seeing how we go", with no real idea of what the long term approach is to the playing side of things is.

In some ways, he's very similar to Redknapp. There's no long term strategy there, no plan, they both just sign/employ people and ask them to go out and deliver. The mentality of well, he's a good player/manager/ceo, therefore he should do well, is prevalent. The idea of a team/club working together and functioning cohesively with an ethos and identity where everyone understands their role seems completely lost on both TF and HR.

Instead, the solution is always just to sign/employ someone who is "better". They'll sort it out. They'll make it work because they are so talented.

Problem is, that doesn't work in reality. Running a football club, like a business, isn't about having the best people, it's about having the best approach, so you get the best out of the people you've got.

This is also a far more cost effective way to do things.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:22 - Sep 22 with 2480 viewsTHEBUSH

For me, we have to stick with what we've got, an experienced manager and a decent first team coach.

The new 2 year contract for Redknapp, should be put on hold, until the season's end, that would make sense to me.

The long term is another thing, who knows what's gonna happen tomorrow ?
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:26 - Sep 22 with 2471 viewsShotKneesHoop

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:04 - Sep 22 by TacticalR

It's football management Jim, but not football management as we know it.

Loads of Spurs Klingons on the starboard bow.

Warp factor three, and energise into matter - anti-matter.

It's mind over matter with 'Arry, - "he don't mind 'cos we don't matter."

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:37 - Sep 22 with 2454 viewsMedwayR

My standard answer as usual, Eddie Howe or Thomas Tuchel.

I'm not sure about Karl Robinson, I'd be willing to take a chance on him as he has a lot going for him which others have identified but at the same time I'm just not convinced.

Poll: Who’s better?

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:39 - Sep 22 with 2453 viewsjamois

I quite liked the look of Arg's postings on Sabella....

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:43 - Sep 22 with 2443 viewsessextaxiboy

i am sick of changing the manager . Stick with what we have while planning for his replacement. His task is to stay in this league , if he takes us down he has that on his record and should be replaced .if he keeps us up he deserves another deal as anyone does if they hit their objectives . Its Black and White up ..stay down.. go . .until.we go down I am with him .......But in the spirit that the Op.was made .Hoddle .. not cos he is here I wanted him before HR .. .But its a massive gamble , Aidy Boothroyd ? Peter Taylor? Where are they now ...Pearson, Dyche, Robinson , Monk ..lets.see if they are still around in a couple of years . Maybe they will get a job at a top six club and reach the CL ..thats the sort we want ........sorry couldnt resist.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2014 19:56]
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:48 - Sep 22 with 2431 viewsTheBlob

You see this is the continual problem....I'd take a CHANCE on (insert name here).If you're talking about long term you're going to have to employ the services of a psychic.You can plan for the long term in the infrastructure,but unearthing another Wenger or Ferguson is really in the lap of the gods.
You need a successful short term for the long term - hang on to your league status by your fingertips until someone clicks.Both Ferguson and Wenger nearly got the tin tack.

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:48 - Sep 22 with 2431 viewsdaveB

I'd love to see Clive's vision happen have wanted to see that for years long before Fernandes came in. Im not sure about Karl Robinson, I do rate him but think this is a big step up and in reality the chances of someone being able to start from scratch and build something has gone now, last chance to do this was with Hughes and he made a pigs ear of it. Possibly could have done it after relegation but I think it was vital we came straight back up so last year was aways about the short term.

Sadly the club we want to support is not the club we do support and that dream is just not going to happen imo. Thats the main reason I am in no rush to see Redknapp sacked as I dread to think what we'll do next.

I've no idea what sort of club we want to be anymore, we talked about building something then half the team who got us here we sacked off straight away. O'Neil, Simpson both sold, Hill, Onuoura, Dunne, Hoilett all dropped and we start again. You could make a strong argument for replacing all of them but it still feels wrong to have done it so quickly with the replacements not looking any better.

If he goes I would have thought the shortlist would be Sherwood, Pullis, Moyes and Hoddle. All have good and bad points, you could argue all of them could do a better job than Redknapp but all of them could do a lot worse as well. Of that list I'd have Moyes but I wouldn't have thought he'd be interested in us.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:48 - Sep 22 with 2430 viewsjamois

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:43 - Sep 22 by essextaxiboy

i am sick of changing the manager . Stick with what we have while planning for his replacement. His task is to stay in this league , if he takes us down he has that on his record and should be replaced .if he keeps us up he deserves another deal as anyone does if they hit their objectives . Its Black and White up ..stay down.. go . .until.we go down I am with him .......But in the spirit that the Op.was made .Hoddle .. not cos he is here I wanted him before HR .. .But its a massive gamble , Aidy Boothroyd ? Peter Taylor? Where are they now ...Pearson, Dyche, Robinson , Monk ..lets.see if they are still around in a couple of years . Maybe they will get a job at a top six club and reach the CL ..thats the sort we want ........sorry couldnt resist.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2014 19:56]

I'm sick of it too Harry my son, but can we 'afford' to go down? Only Tony knows I guess.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:06 - Sep 22 with 2386 viewsessextaxiboy

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:48 - Sep 22 by jamois

I'm sick of it too Harry my son, but can we 'afford' to go down? Only Tony knows I guess.

He wont sack him , I may be wrong but I just cant see it .
I dont think his ego will allow it .To admit that he has got it wrong again and leave.somebody new to.deal.with a squad most of whom either came to play for him or he has turned around Barton Green Etc. In the programme last year he admits.to being starstruck by HR . So what are we to do? , all we can do is stick with them ...IMO sorry for the weird postings I am at Heathrow on my phone ... Sorry to jump on another thread Antti ...I will shaddup ..
[Post edited 22 Sep 2014 20:10]
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:18 - Sep 22 with 2359 viewskensalriser

Not Tony sodding Pulis, that's for sure. Can't believe how many times his name has come up. Yes, he kept Stoke up and performed a miracle at Palace, but his football is from the Dark Ages.

I like QPR Arg's Sabella suggestion too. But I'll repeat what I said the other day. Our play and results have been dire under three different managers in the Premier League. What makes anyone think that changing the manager yet again would lead to an improvement?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:24 - Sep 22 with 2342 viewsCHUBBS

Karl Robinson would be a superb appointment if we want to consistently finnish mid table in league 1.
We need to think of the future as Redknapp is not gonna go on for ever and i'd like to see Dyche as our next manager as he comes across very well and will improve the players we already have.
I can't see TF not renewing Harrys contract but i'd wait a while before committing just incase things go pear shaped.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:30 - Sep 22 with 2324 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Karl Robinson. Still one of the most overrated managers in football

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:34 - Sep 22 with 2311 viewsFDC

What the club needs...

This is how I see it, with the qualifier that I think TF and Co will always go for high profile managers, not only because they don't know football but because they require qpr being high profile because qpr is a loss leader for air asia. Redknapp's ideal really because he's always in the papers.

I would also add that the way things are being done now is not only detrimental to football success; it's supremely unsatisfying as a supporter, for me as least. I don't really want to support an ever changing cast of players, not all but many of whom are late career have beens. I want to get behind something that grows, that that I can identify with.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024