Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? 17:39 - Sep 22 with 5957 viewsAntti_Heinola

While I can't bear Redknapp, I think he should stay, and we shouldn't consider sacking him if and when we are relegated. It was a stance TF should have taken with Warnock - in fact, that decision set off a train of events that we've struggled with ever since. Relegation and a fresh start without a huge debt would have been preferable to what has happened.

But I digress. I'm a firm believer that owners should, at all times, regardless of how happy they are with their manager, have a short list of five or six names that they would be following and considering as their next manager, were circumstances to change. With managers changing regularly anyway, and with Harry absolutely certain to not be here for much more than 2 years at most, that seems imperative to me. This is what Swansea do.

So, who should TF be looking at now? Who should our club's representatives be studying, watching, looking at their style of play etc? Who is the next Pochettino or Rodgers that we could poach?

Bare bones.

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:38 - Sep 22 with 1414 viewsJamie

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:06 - Sep 22 by essextaxiboy

He wont sack him , I may be wrong but I just cant see it .
I dont think his ego will allow it .To admit that he has got it wrong again and leave.somebody new to.deal.with a squad most of whom either came to play for him or he has turned around Barton Green Etc. In the programme last year he admits.to being starstruck by HR . So what are we to do? , all we can do is stick with them ...IMO sorry for the weird postings I am at Heathrow on my phone ... Sorry to jump on another thread Antti ...I will shaddup ..
[Post edited 22 Sep 2014 20:10]

If we are bottom at Xmas, Arry will be sacked. TF needs PL football. Don't forget that the week before the Saints game, TF stated categorically that he loved Hughes, believed in him 100% and had no intention of sacking him.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:40 - Sep 22 with 1406 viewsQPR_ARG

Sabella, please!

Good to know some here would like to see that too.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:44 - Sep 22 with 1405 viewsdaveB

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:40 - Sep 22 by QPR_ARG

Sabella, please!

Good to know some here would like to see that too.

Is Sabella the bloke who managed Chile in the world cup?
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 21:35 - Sep 22 with 1377 viewsderbyhoop

If we don't offer him a new deal Harry is out of contract next Summer. At 67 I don't think he should be offered a new contract. He looks tired and there is a shortage of innovation and coaching. In those circumstances, we should already have a short list of possible candidates. The problem is that finding any manager with a decent medium term record is nigh on impossible, when someone like Redknapp has been in his current job longer than 60 other managers.

Robinson is ok but he seems to have stood still for at least 2 years.
Eddie Howe - can he manage anywhere other than Bournemouth
Pulls has a great record, but does he fit the QPR philosophy
I've been impressed at the job Steven Pressley has done at Coventry
Gary Rowett at Burton has shown steady improvement at a well run club, I.e. Not QPR
Cotterill has Bristol City at the top of L1

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 21:49 - Sep 22 with 1363 viewsMonahoop

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:48 - Sep 22 by daveB

I'd love to see Clive's vision happen have wanted to see that for years long before Fernandes came in. Im not sure about Karl Robinson, I do rate him but think this is a big step up and in reality the chances of someone being able to start from scratch and build something has gone now, last chance to do this was with Hughes and he made a pigs ear of it. Possibly could have done it after relegation but I think it was vital we came straight back up so last year was aways about the short term.

Sadly the club we want to support is not the club we do support and that dream is just not going to happen imo. Thats the main reason I am in no rush to see Redknapp sacked as I dread to think what we'll do next.

I've no idea what sort of club we want to be anymore, we talked about building something then half the team who got us here we sacked off straight away. O'Neil, Simpson both sold, Hill, Onuoura, Dunne, Hoilett all dropped and we start again. You could make a strong argument for replacing all of them but it still feels wrong to have done it so quickly with the replacements not looking any better.

If he goes I would have thought the shortlist would be Sherwood, Pullis, Moyes and Hoddle. All have good and bad points, you could argue all of them could do a better job than Redknapp but all of them could do a lot worse as well. Of that list I'd have Moyes but I wouldn't have thought he'd be interested in us.

Good thread Dave. Agree with most of that. Like you I'm unsure about someone like Robinson. I don't think he's managed above League 1,so that would be a huge gamble to take someone like him to the Premier league. I'd prefer it just for once to have someone who doesn't carry a big ego to take charge and for someone who can deal with players who's egos seemingly interfere with their playing capabilities. I'd plump for someone like Howe or even and I know he is out of favour lately, Adkins. He's a hard worker and a trier if nothing else, but I can think of very few at present who I would want to see a LR. Moyes might be worth a try too I suppose.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 21:54 - Sep 22 with 1358 viewskysersosaqpr

I still reckon continuation and a "boot room" approach is preferable. Move H up to director of whatever. Get Joey in with Glen as assistant - or Rio with Glenn as assistant. They'll do no better / worse than all the other names and numbers in this post. But they'll have the changing room. They'll have respect. And they'll have H and Glenda helping out. I like the philosophy of Joey - he's a thinker as well as a doer.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 22:05 - Sep 22 with 1346 viewsCiderwithRsie

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:07 - Sep 22 by Hunterhoop

100% correct.

Certainly on the first half, hopefully not on the second, but I fear it will be true.

The question is, when? When do you make a change? I think most agree with the appointment you want. But do we wait to see which league we're in? Do we do it in order to stay in the league? Do we wait to HR's contract is up for financial reasons?

I don't TF has a plan on this. I think he's "seeing how we go", with no real idea of what the long term approach is to the playing side of things is.

In some ways, he's very similar to Redknapp. There's no long term strategy there, no plan, they both just sign/employ people and ask them to go out and deliver. The mentality of well, he's a good player/manager/ceo, therefore he should do well, is prevalent. The idea of a team/club working together and functioning cohesively with an ethos and identity where everyone understands their role seems completely lost on both TF and HR.

Instead, the solution is always just to sign/employ someone who is "better". They'll sort it out. They'll make it work because they are so talented.

Problem is, that doesn't work in reality. Running a football club, like a business, isn't about having the best people, it's about having the best approach, so you get the best out of the people you've got.

This is also a far more cost effective way to do things.

I think that with every manager he's had Fernandes has thought they were good enough to do the job - reasonably so, given their track records; he got on with them - not surprising as he seems an affable bloke himself; and he wanted to stick with them, again not unreasonable if you remember the Briatore years. But he's been forced to sack the last two mid-season and he's felt he had to go for the best available free agent. But they're only free agents in mid-season because they got sacked, which is always for a reason.

The sensible thing would have been not to dream of offering Redknapp an extension, but to have been identifying a replacement for him to start next summer, leaving Harry in place as a safe pair of hands this season.

Can easily see Redknapp getting sacked in the New Year and the whole farrago starting over.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 00:19 - Sep 23 with 1281 viewsMKQPR

It may be wishful thinking but i would love to see AVB take charge of Rangers. Young ambitious manager with bags of potential and an average of 60% win with the clubs hes been at already a class manager imo. Plus he must hate the scum as much as us
Login to get fewer ads

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 00:44 - Sep 23 with 1277 viewsbarabajagal

Jose Pekerman.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 01:39 - Sep 23 with 1268 viewsBucksRanger

Luciano Spalletti
Nationality: Italian
Current status: Unemployed.
Past: Took Udinese and Roma into the Champions League. Won two Russian league titles with Zenit.
Style: Ambitious, attacking tactics — his Roma played 4-6-0.
Future: A club needing a fresh tactical impetus.

4-6-0 Perfect for Rangers at the moment.

http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/managers-index-august-2014#BTb1YHXCSXmwV4kR.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2014 1:42]
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 01:52 - Sep 23 with 1258 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 19:48 - Sep 22 by daveB

I'd love to see Clive's vision happen have wanted to see that for years long before Fernandes came in. Im not sure about Karl Robinson, I do rate him but think this is a big step up and in reality the chances of someone being able to start from scratch and build something has gone now, last chance to do this was with Hughes and he made a pigs ear of it. Possibly could have done it after relegation but I think it was vital we came straight back up so last year was aways about the short term.

Sadly the club we want to support is not the club we do support and that dream is just not going to happen imo. Thats the main reason I am in no rush to see Redknapp sacked as I dread to think what we'll do next.

I've no idea what sort of club we want to be anymore, we talked about building something then half the team who got us here we sacked off straight away. O'Neil, Simpson both sold, Hill, Onuoura, Dunne, Hoilett all dropped and we start again. You could make a strong argument for replacing all of them but it still feels wrong to have done it so quickly with the replacements not looking any better.

If he goes I would have thought the shortlist would be Sherwood, Pullis, Moyes and Hoddle. All have good and bad points, you could argue all of them could do a better job than Redknapp but all of them could do a lot worse as well. Of that list I'd have Moyes but I wouldn't have thought he'd be interested in us.

Excellent post, Dave.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 03:46 - Sep 23 with 1228 viewsQPR_ARG

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 20:44 - Sep 22 by daveB

Is Sabella the bloke who managed Chile in the world cup?

Nope. That's another Argentine: Jorge Sampaoli. Still working with Chile where he'll manage the home side in next year's Copa America.

Sabella was the one who took Argentina to the World Cup final and before that, won the Copa Libertadores with Estudiantes de La Plata and took Barcelona to extra-time (after Pedro scored a very late equalizer, before Messi won it for the Catalans) at the FIFA Club World Cup.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 05:55 - Sep 23 with 1217 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:31 - Sep 22 by Northernr

What the club needs...

- An appointment with a long term view. Where do we want to be in five years? In the Premier League, with a new training ground. Where do we want to be in ten years? In the Premier League, with a new training ground, and a new stadium. These all point to a director of football appointment first and foremost, somebody of great experience who can oversee the long term aims of the club, with carefully selected managers who all play a similar style. I'd have Karl Robinson from MK Dons with a more experienced DofF over the top of him, because Robinson knows what it's like to be building a club almost from scratch, getting the youth and scouting and first team all aiming for the same thing. MK Dons are the same every season, despite selling players and working on a tight budget in a league where everybody hates them. Get a style of play running through the club at all levels, and appoint managers who fit with it so you're not constantly ripping everything up and starting again when a new man is appointed - Swansea are the masters at this, West Brom used to be before the DofF left for the FA. Maybe Paul Clement, although I'm always wary of these super coach manager in waiting types, Rene Meulenstein was the last one and Steve Clarke before him, neither conspicuous successes. Big QPR connection though.

What the club will get...
- Somebody you've all heard of. Somebody who's been in the papers a lot. Somebody from the Goals on Sunday sofa. If it happened tomorrow, probably PUlis, Sherwood or Zola or Lennon. If it had happened five months ago, probably Mackay. There is nobody at our club with any football knowledge or experience whatsoever above the manager. Sack the manager and the most senior person at our club who knows anything about the sport at all is probably Clint Hill. So they're not going to notice that Paul Hartley's done well at Dundee for example. They'll come, sign ten players in their first window, ten players in their second, ten players in their third and so on. And maybe we'll do well and maybe we'll do badly, but whatever we do won't last very long term and in five years time we'll still be exactly what we are now - a yo-yo club spending vast amounts of money on football players with no real idea what to do with them or where we're going.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Great post.

Fernandes needs a 'maybe it's me moment of clarity.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 07:17 - Sep 23 with 1207 viewshateley_legend

This will be left-field to put it mildly - but any takers for Barton as our next manager with Hill as his no.2? We've heard plenty from Barton about what a student of the game he is, what a great manager he intends to become etc etc. Judging by his on-pitch love-in with TF at Wembley, could Fernandes be the one to give him his big break?

And I can't think of a more passionate, dedicated character and thoroughly decent man that I'd love, just love to have in our dugout than Clint Hill - at the end of last season he was basically doing that job anyway, with his tactical input into substitutions.

If this arrangement was ever to happen (which it won't) then the way things are going these two would more than likely to have to serve their non-playing apprenticeship in the Championship than the Premiership, which is a slightly more forgiving environment & would therefore be no bad thing (plus I think most on here would agree that that's our natural level anyway).

Another key move would be to stuff the boot room (U21s, youth team) with QPR men - the Gallens, Furlong (who I know is already there) etc. This would be our own attempt at a bit of continuity, and - you never know - could even result in us bringing through a manager or two of the future with a proper feel for the club, a la Liverpool of the 1980s and most unlike the current set-up.

Edit: sorry kysersosaqpr - just saw that you got in there first with this suggestion (and are clearly as bonkers/idealistic as I am!)
[Post edited 23 Sep 2014 7:26]
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 08:38 - Sep 23 with 1147 viewsDiscodroids

"He ain’t never going to boot it up the pitch".
@harold rednapp @21/09/14
football manager/renaissance man/philosopher/spiritual leader.

"i think, therefore i am"

I put it to you ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is a blatant case of mockney , most foul.

the defendant 'harold ' or 'boy a' you will ,is clearly morphing into arthur english , so as to render him akin to a pan pipe playing village idiot from popular full length featurette, 'ryans daughter'.

there is only one sentence which can be passed, and thats to take boy 'a' from this place and hang him by his cockney dancing spoons , which bobs about as if in high seas, when confronted by Dani, the former portugese professional footballer..

may the lord have mercy on your soul, take him down ..
[Post edited 23 Sep 2014 8:39]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 08:57 - Sep 23 with 1122 viewsToast_R

I still think Glen Hoddle.

Give him a 5 year contract on the basis he builds the club from youth to to senior.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 09:34 - Sep 23 with 1094 viewsdaveB

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 03:46 - Sep 23 by QPR_ARG

Nope. That's another Argentine: Jorge Sampaoli. Still working with Chile where he'll manage the home side in next year's Copa America.

Sabella was the one who took Argentina to the World Cup final and before that, won the Copa Libertadores with Estudiantes de La Plata and took Barcelona to extra-time (after Pedro scored a very late equalizer, before Messi won it for the Catalans) at the FIFA Club World Cup.

Thanks, knew the name from the world cup but couldn't picture him.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 09:43 - Sep 23 with 1083 viewsDiscodroids

given our overwhelming love for everything chilean at the mo, are any of the miners still available?.

im thankful guinea bissau didnt qualify for the world cup this year. otherwise our wonderful scouting system would be playing members of the mandika tribe as wing backs.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2014 9:46]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 09:51 - Sep 23 with 1071 viewspaulparker

ive been banging on for ages about setting a culture at this club akin to Ajax, Swansea & Bilbao , doing something different to the others ,
for me I would employ Karl Robinson, he is a good coach who studies other teams, brings through youth and plays football the way modern European teams are doing in League 1 ,
he would be head coach working under a DOF like Gerry or Hoddle
the DOF would be in charge of all coaching and scouting within the club, overseeing how different clubs play abroad , how they coach , strike up relationships for loans etc
I would employ ex rangers players like Bardsley , Waddock, Birch, Furlong to help train the youth so that the whole club can play certain systems and players can play different positions all over the park, make those youth players aspire to wear the iconic number 10 shirt , make that shirt special again
this is why Warren farm was so important, we had a chance to do this to be different from the other clubs in England,
with all of the millions we have wasted, we could have started this process a couple of years ago ,
and for all those who say Robinson is young and hasn't done anything in League 1
cast your minds back over 20 years to a young Gerry Francis a young & upcoming coach who we nabbed from Bristol Rovers , they wasn't exactly romping away with the 3rd division either
we have to get out of this mindset as a club that we take each day as it comes and think it will be all right on the night if we chuck millions at it , it wont that's why we end up with the Arrys of this world,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 10:23 - Sep 23 with 1047 viewsAntti_Heinola

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 18:31 - Sep 22 by Northernr

What the club needs...

- An appointment with a long term view. Where do we want to be in five years? In the Premier League, with a new training ground. Where do we want to be in ten years? In the Premier League, with a new training ground, and a new stadium. These all point to a director of football appointment first and foremost, somebody of great experience who can oversee the long term aims of the club, with carefully selected managers who all play a similar style. I'd have Karl Robinson from MK Dons with a more experienced DofF over the top of him, because Robinson knows what it's like to be building a club almost from scratch, getting the youth and scouting and first team all aiming for the same thing. MK Dons are the same every season, despite selling players and working on a tight budget in a league where everybody hates them. Get a style of play running through the club at all levels, and appoint managers who fit with it so you're not constantly ripping everything up and starting again when a new man is appointed - Swansea are the masters at this, West Brom used to be before the DofF left for the FA. Maybe Paul Clement, although I'm always wary of these super coach manager in waiting types, Rene Meulenstein was the last one and Steve Clarke before him, neither conspicuous successes. Big QPR connection though.

What the club will get...
- Somebody you've all heard of. Somebody who's been in the papers a lot. Somebody from the Goals on Sunday sofa. If it happened tomorrow, probably PUlis, Sherwood or Zola or Lennon. If it had happened five months ago, probably Mackay. There is nobody at our club with any football knowledge or experience whatsoever above the manager. Sack the manager and the most senior person at our club who knows anything about the sport at all is probably Clint Hill. So they're not going to notice that Paul Hartley's done well at Dundee for example. They'll come, sign ten players in their first window, ten players in their second, ten players in their third and so on. And maybe we'll do well and maybe we'll do badly, but whatever we do won't last very long term and in five years time we'll still be exactly what we are now - a yo-yo club spending vast amounts of money on football players with no real idea what to do with them or where we're going.

This post has been edited by an administrator

that nail was hit so hard on the head it's gone through the wood and impaled your own foot to the floor.
Bravo.

Bare bones.

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 10:45 - Sep 23 with 1030 viewssimmo

All posters suggesting Barton as the next manager should be thrown into the sea.

As mentioned above, we need to recognise what kind of club we want to be and where we see ourselves in 5 -10 years time and make a signing to go along with that. We need to recognise what it takes for us to get from where we are now to where we want to be and employ a manager with experience of doing something similar elsewhere. Hence the Karl Robinson suggestion.

I also like Eddie Howe, but as somebody else has said already, there's no guarantee he can manage anybody except Bournemouth.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 10:49 - Sep 23 with 1022 viewsJamie

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 10:45 - Sep 23 by simmo

All posters suggesting Barton as the next manager should be thrown into the sea.

As mentioned above, we need to recognise what kind of club we want to be and where we see ourselves in 5 -10 years time and make a signing to go along with that. We need to recognise what it takes for us to get from where we are now to where we want to be and employ a manager with experience of doing something similar elsewhere. Hence the Karl Robinson suggestion.

I also like Eddie Howe, but as somebody else has said already, there's no guarantee he can manage anybody except Bournemouth.

The owners know exactly what they want the club to be. They want to be a top 4 club. They just haven't realised yet that it isnt as simple as appointing a big name manger and giving them a blank cheque.
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 11:56 - Sep 23 with 991 viewsibnumber10

I'd have Gerry back, failing that Uwe Rossler
Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 12:27 - Sep 23 with 955 viewsQPunkR

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 10:45 - Sep 23 by simmo

So true about the certifiably insane people touting Barton as manager.

I'll stick to my usual clarion call for Gigi de Canio to be brought back.

QPR - "shit but local"

Not a Harry Out Thread - But who next? on 12:44 - Sep 23 with 938 viewsR_from_afar

I'm really note sure. I can't conceive of Pulis doing a bad job but then if Holloway came, we might get Bircham too. What about McClaren?

I'm almost seeing the next appointment in terms of identifying the qualities first, then finding a manager to fit. The key qualities for me are someone who :

- Someone who can coach and develop players, including rough diamonds from other clubs and our own youngsters (what is this madness of which I speak? )
- Someone with a genuine passion for the job, who is enthusiastic about Rangers and who believes in the club and respects it and its fans. No more jobbing managers who think we are beneath them
- Someone willing to stick around and build the club, to get the youth system firing on all cylinders and to be a flag bearer for our desperately needed new infrastructure (training ground improvements / new stadium)
- Someone who can turn us into a force and make Loftus Rd (and New Loftus Rd) a place teams fear to go because QPR are so well motivated and drilled, because the fans have totally bought into what the coaching team are trying to achieve and are behind them to a man and roaring the team on...
- Someone whose career is on the up, not on the wane.
- Someone who is not an ego on legs or a media whore.

Hell, I am salivating already, but can it be done?

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024