Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meanwhile.... 10:22 - Sep 23 with 6737 viewsstevec

... Reading and Wigan, the clubs who came down with us in 2012/13 with arguably better squads at the time, sit in the Championship mid table and 3 points from the relegation zone respectively.

A pause for thought for the anti Redknapp brigade, ...or not, as the case may be.
Meanwhile.... on 17:09 - Sep 23 with 1442 viewsDylanP

Meanwhile.... on 12:41 - Sep 23 by paulparker

yeah cos we were heading to league one with Austin,Dunne,Phillips,Green, Onouru & co
we were shocking last year with the biggest budget in the league , also worth noting that was probably the worst championship for a long time, the Warnock team with half the budget Arry had would have got over a 100 points last year
sorry but we were lucky in that play off final , a final we could have lost because our tactical genius Arry decided to stick to the formula of putting Kevin doyle on the wing

What are you talking about???

Shocking???? Are you serious? That is an insane assessment of last year's team. It makes no sense whatsoever.

We ended the season on 4th place. Only 3 teams ended the season with a better goal difference than us. Only 3 teams conceded less goals than us. We started the season with a string of 11 games undefeated -- a club record -- 8 wins and 3 draws. That is almost quarter of the way into the season without suffering defeat. We won the play-off final after going down to 10 minute in the 30th minute. That shows guts, determination, and character.

On what planet does that constitute a shocking season? That constitute a bloody brilliant season to most people.

So what we had a relatively big budget? Money never has bought instant success in the Premiership. And, it is always the case that the relegated teams have the biggest budgets in the divisoin. How could it possibly be any other way? Meanwhile, we shipped out about 20 players in the previous summer to get that budget down and a couple of those on the biggest salaries (Cesar and SWP) never got a game.

If you think last season was shocking, then I suspect you may have set your standards a tad too high. We are QPR, not Man United. We are not a team that can feel entitled to be winning every game in sight. We are not a team spending half a billion pounds on players over the summer. Our top transfer ever was around the 10 million mark -- whereas Scum and the manchester teams regularly spend that on bench warmers.

Also, if you think last season was shocking, then you might want to go hide under your bed for the rest of this year, because I am fairly certain that this is going to be a much uglier season that last year. I am telling you now that we aren't going to win too many games this year, we are going to lose to teams that we think we should beat, and we are going to take some punishment from the big boys. When people say that the goal this year is 17th place, they aren't kidding. This is going to be a tough year, and it might be good if our fans faced the fact that God doesn't owe us anything and we aren't entitled to anything. Points will be ground out and players will need plenty of time to gel and find their feet. That is just a fact. If you want to know what a tough season looks like, look around you because this is it.

And even with all that, I assure you there are 21 other teams in the Championship who would have loved to have been as shocking as we were last year!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Meanwhile.... on 17:21 - Sep 23 with 1430 viewsdaveB

Meanwhile.... on 17:05 - Sep 23 by 00calben

Is that a joke? You do realise Wigan raised £16m from the sale of McCarthy and £5m from the sale of Kone??

Although we recouped our money on Samba, we spent the thick end of £8-9m on Austin and Phillips alone. They spent less than £5m total on Holt, McClean, Carson, Barnett, Perch.

I somehow think our overall spend last summer was greater than theirs...

sure they raised plenty but they did spend as well. As I say not much in it, we probably spend about 3 million more than them. It's not as if Wigan's budget was tiny for the championship
Meanwhile.... on 17:31 - Sep 23 with 1409 viewspaulparker

Meanwhile.... on 17:09 - Sep 23 by DylanP

What are you talking about???

Shocking???? Are you serious? That is an insane assessment of last year's team. It makes no sense whatsoever.

We ended the season on 4th place. Only 3 teams ended the season with a better goal difference than us. Only 3 teams conceded less goals than us. We started the season with a string of 11 games undefeated -- a club record -- 8 wins and 3 draws. That is almost quarter of the way into the season without suffering defeat. We won the play-off final after going down to 10 minute in the 30th minute. That shows guts, determination, and character.

On what planet does that constitute a shocking season? That constitute a bloody brilliant season to most people.

So what we had a relatively big budget? Money never has bought instant success in the Premiership. And, it is always the case that the relegated teams have the biggest budgets in the divisoin. How could it possibly be any other way? Meanwhile, we shipped out about 20 players in the previous summer to get that budget down and a couple of those on the biggest salaries (Cesar and SWP) never got a game.

If you think last season was shocking, then I suspect you may have set your standards a tad too high. We are QPR, not Man United. We are not a team that can feel entitled to be winning every game in sight. We are not a team spending half a billion pounds on players over the summer. Our top transfer ever was around the 10 million mark -- whereas Scum and the manchester teams regularly spend that on bench warmers.

Also, if you think last season was shocking, then you might want to go hide under your bed for the rest of this year, because I am fairly certain that this is going to be a much uglier season that last year. I am telling you now that we aren't going to win too many games this year, we are going to lose to teams that we think we should beat, and we are going to take some punishment from the big boys. When people say that the goal this year is 17th place, they aren't kidding. This is going to be a tough year, and it might be good if our fans faced the fact that God doesn't owe us anything and we aren't entitled to anything. Points will be ground out and players will need plenty of time to gel and find their feet. That is just a fact. If you want to know what a tough season looks like, look around you because this is it.

And even with all that, I assure you there are 21 other teams in the Championship who would have loved to have been as shocking as we were last year!

Sorry Mr Blinkered perhaps you need to take off your Arry Blue tinted Specs
BTW did you go to any games last year or this year ????????????????

ok 4TH place on paper looks good, but last years championship was shocking
our football & tactics were shocking, were scraped 4th and were miles behind Burnley & Leicester and were nearly over taken by Wigan who were down the bottom
yes we dug deep at Wembley no one is denying that Dylan
but where was the guts against
Burnley
Forest
Derby
Charlton
Sheff Wed
Blackburn
Blackpool ( home )
now those games you talk about where we undefeated we had steve McLaren for the majority , when he left it went t*ts up and we fell & stumbled into 4th
on paper we went up I give you that, but please don't tell me we were excellent or that Arry is a genius , you will be telling me next he saved us from certain Relegation

now on to Budgets, Arry had the best budget in the division, when we lost Austin he was able to get 3 players in on loan, no one else bar Leicester could do that
Money does not always get you success, but in a very poor championship last year you had to be really bad not to make a mark

my standards are not high Dylan , oh and thank you for pointing out I support QPR,
I Would never expect us to win every game , ok maybe Burton , (which to you doesn't count ?????)
but after we spunk millions on players I expect the manager to actually
get a team who can pass the ball to each other, who know what formations to play,
to defend set pieces, be a bit exciting , actually give a sh*t would be nice
im under no illusions that it would be a hard season even if Fergie was boss of Rangers
but when i look at how we have played under HR for the last 3 seasons
its safe to say weve been sold a pup

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Meanwhile.... on 18:10 - Sep 23 with 1391 viewssimmo

How was O'Neil sent off in the 30th minute when it happened in the 2nd half? We also went 18 games unbeaten in 2010, so that's not a record set last year, I don't even think we went 11 unbeaten. I think we broke a defensive record, but not an unbeaten one.

Besides which that wasn't the point being made, I know talking bollocks is a past time of yours but once again you're concentrating on the results not the performances, people are saying that we went up DESPITE of HR not because of him. Some of our performances were embarrassing and in the end, we were lucky to get over the line. In a league we should have dominated.

You're not looking at the whole pie, Jenny.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2014 18:16]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Meanwhile.... on 18:20 - Sep 23 with 1378 viewsbarbicanranger

Agree with the sentiment of the OP you can be the best team in the championship on paper and on the pitch but you may not get out of it.

Our fans give us a hard time for last season but lets not forget it's a tough league, over the first quarter of the season we went on our longest unbeaten run (not conceding a goal?) and until Austin got injured we looked a certainty for one of the top two spots.
Meanwhile.... on 18:37 - Sep 23 with 1350 viewsDylanP

Meanwhile.... on 17:31 - Sep 23 by paulparker

Sorry Mr Blinkered perhaps you need to take off your Arry Blue tinted Specs
BTW did you go to any games last year or this year ????????????????

ok 4TH place on paper looks good, but last years championship was shocking
our football & tactics were shocking, were scraped 4th and were miles behind Burnley & Leicester and were nearly over taken by Wigan who were down the bottom
yes we dug deep at Wembley no one is denying that Dylan
but where was the guts against
Burnley
Forest
Derby
Charlton
Sheff Wed
Blackburn
Blackpool ( home )
now those games you talk about where we undefeated we had steve McLaren for the majority , when he left it went t*ts up and we fell & stumbled into 4th
on paper we went up I give you that, but please don't tell me we were excellent or that Arry is a genius , you will be telling me next he saved us from certain Relegation

now on to Budgets, Arry had the best budget in the division, when we lost Austin he was able to get 3 players in on loan, no one else bar Leicester could do that
Money does not always get you success, but in a very poor championship last year you had to be really bad not to make a mark

my standards are not high Dylan , oh and thank you for pointing out I support QPR,
I Would never expect us to win every game , ok maybe Burton , (which to you doesn't count ?????)
but after we spunk millions on players I expect the manager to actually
get a team who can pass the ball to each other, who know what formations to play,
to defend set pieces, be a bit exciting , actually give a sh*t would be nice
im under no illusions that it would be a hard season even if Fergie was boss of Rangers
but when i look at how we have played under HR for the last 3 seasons
its safe to say weve been sold a pup

I don't know what you are talking about "Arry blue tinted specs". I am nowhere close to a fan of 'arry. I didn't like him before he came and wasn't pleased when he was appointed. The thing is, instead of bleating on month after month about the same old same old, I have noticed that under 'arry we have been promoted back to the premiership, the hardest division to get into in world football. I couldn't care less if our performances getting there were less than stellar. I only care that the end result was what we desperately needed. Likewise, this season all I care is that we end 17th or better.

We were "nearly" overtaken by Wigan??? In case you haven't noticed, "nearly" doesn't count for anything in football. Niko nearly scored a spectacular 30 yard shot on Saturday, but we don't get three points off "nearly". Who cares if Wigan almost caught us? The fact is, they didn't catch us.

4th place doesn't just look good on paper. It is good. Period. End of story. 4th place is above 20 teams in the division. What is more, we won the play off final. We were promoted. Job done! Without promotion it would have been a financial disaster. We avoided that fate by being promoted. How can you possibly complain about that?

A season is a long time and all teams are going to play badly at times. So, you think we played badly plenty of times? OK. I buy that. BUT SO WHAT? If that is so, all that means is we get to laugh into our beers about getting promoted in spite of not playing that well at times.

Using the word "spunk" to describe our transfers, doesn't change the fact that we spent a fraction of what most Premiership teams spent on transfers last summer. Man United spent half a billion pounds on transfers. We didn't spend a 20th of that. At the same time we got another 20 players off the payroll over the summer.

As I said, I am not much of a fan of 'arry. I don't really understand his team selections or like the constant nattering to the media. But the fact is they didn't consult me when they hired him and he is our manager. So I support the team and he gets the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. And, constant negativity doesn't change that fact. There is no harm in complaining about tactics or selection. But the constant negativity can only hurt the team in the long run, so I am never going to be part of that.

And describing last season as "shocking" is just completely nuts.It counts as one of our most successful season in the last 20 years. A few years ago we were in the third division.

Meanwhile.... on 18:58 - Sep 23 with 1334 viewsTheBlob

And it's only Tuesday.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Meanwhile.... on 19:44 - Sep 23 with 1307 viewsdolcelatte

Meanwhile.... on 18:10 - Sep 23 by simmo

How was O'Neil sent off in the 30th minute when it happened in the 2nd half? We also went 18 games unbeaten in 2010, so that's not a record set last year, I don't even think we went 11 unbeaten. I think we broke a defensive record, but not an unbeaten one.

Besides which that wasn't the point being made, I know talking bollocks is a past time of yours but once again you're concentrating on the results not the performances, people are saying that we went up DESPITE of HR not because of him. Some of our performances were embarrassing and in the end, we were lucky to get over the line. In a league we should have dominated.

You're not looking at the whole pie, Jenny.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2014 18:16]

We were pretty crap the season we got promoted under Holloway and also lucky to get over the line at the end. Results matter end of.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Meanwhile.... on 09:16 - Sep 24 with 1226 viewssimmo

Meanwhile.... on 19:44 - Sep 23 by dolcelatte

We were pretty crap the season we got promoted under Holloway and also lucky to get over the line at the end. Results matter end of.

Uncomparable. One was a team of limited ability playing to their maximum potential, the other an expensively assembled team of quality individuals unable to forge performances working as a team.

Meanwhile.... on 09:19 - Sep 24 with 1224 viewsdolcelatte

Meanwhile.... on 09:16 - Sep 24 by simmo

Uncomparable. One was a team of limited ability playing to their maximum potential, the other an expensively assembled team of quality individuals unable to forge performances working as a team.

Comparable in the sense that on each occasion we had the largest or close to the largest wages budget in the respective division, frequently played sh1te and won and almost blew it both times. But Holloway is the messiah to many on here and Harry is the devil.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Meanwhile.... on 09:24 - Sep 24 with 1220 viewssimmo

Meanwhile.... on 09:19 - Sep 24 by dolcelatte

Comparable in the sense that on each occasion we had the largest or close to the largest wages budget in the respective division, frequently played sh1te and won and almost blew it both times. But Holloway is the messiah to many on here and Harry is the devil.

I'm not comparing Holloway to Redknapp, but if Harry got half as much out of his team as Holloway used to get, we wouldnt have had to rely on individuals to bail us out.

Meanwhile.... on 12:59 - Sep 24 with 1177 views00calben

Meanwhile.... on 17:21 - Sep 23 by daveB

sure they raised plenty but they did spend as well. As I say not much in it, we probably spend about 3 million more than them. It's not as if Wigan's budget was tiny for the championship

They made a £17m profit, we made a £3m profit.

I'd wouldn't say that constitutes as "not much in it"...or 3 million
Meanwhile.... on 13:03 - Sep 24 with 1173 viewsdaveB

Meanwhile.... on 12:59 - Sep 24 by 00calben

They made a £17m profit, we made a £3m profit.

I'd wouldn't say that constitutes as "not much in it"...or 3 million

I wasn't talking about profit more how much the players they signed cost as a comparison to how both teams ended up doing. It seems to be ok to say QPR spend fortunes so should get promoted but when other clubs spend and achieve nothing that is ok
Meanwhile.... on 13:31 - Sep 24 with 1140 viewsTacticalR

Meanwhile.... on 13:03 - Sep 24 by daveB

I wasn't talking about profit more how much the players they signed cost as a comparison to how both teams ended up doing. It seems to be ok to say QPR spend fortunes so should get promoted but when other clubs spend and achieve nothing that is ok

We don't want other teams trying to steal our 'Everything that's wrong with football' brand.

Air hostess clique

Meanwhile.... on 18:06 - Sep 24 with 1089 viewsderbyhoop

Do not underestimate the difficulty of getting promoted from the Championship. Bolton and Blackburn were PL regulars on recent times. Derby, Forest, Boro, Birmingham further back. Many sides have had to down to the 3rd tier before starting any climb back.

It may not have been pretty nor convincing but we did it. Now we have to stay up. By whatever means necessary.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Meanwhile.... on 18:17 - Sep 24 with 1004 viewskropotkin41

Meanwhile.... on 18:06 - Sep 24 by derbyhoop

Do not underestimate the difficulty of getting promoted from the Championship. Bolton and Blackburn were PL regulars on recent times. Derby, Forest, Boro, Birmingham further back. Many sides have had to down to the 3rd tier before starting any climb back.

It may not have been pretty nor convincing but we did it. Now we have to stay up. By whatever means necessary.

We too did the third tier thing in our long years away from the Premiership. If we are to stay in the Premiership though, the question is what will be necessary? How will we endeavour to mould this lot into a team capable of finishing in 17th place? At the moment I am feeling very pessimistic about it tbh.

I wonder if, let's say Glen Hoddle, can start to make a difference to the way we play; I wonder of it might come from the players themselves. I just can't see it coming from HR. I do hope that I'm proved very wrong - starting Saturday - but I look at the fixture list and feel that we need to shape up pretty soon or we'll be bottom and waving goodbye long before Christmas.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Meanwhile.... on 10:13 - Sep 25 with 951 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Meanwhile.... on 18:20 - Sep 23 by barbicanranger

Agree with the sentiment of the OP you can be the best team in the championship on paper and on the pitch but you may not get out of it.

Our fans give us a hard time for last season but lets not forget it's a tough league, over the first quarter of the season we went on our longest unbeaten run (not conceding a goal?) and until Austin got injured we looked a certainty for one of the top two spots.

"Our fans give us a hard time"

Gave "us" a hard time? Interesting phrasing...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Meanwhile.... on 13:15 - Sep 27 with 883 viewsDylanP

Meanwhile.... on 18:17 - Sep 24 by kropotkin41

We too did the third tier thing in our long years away from the Premiership. If we are to stay in the Premiership though, the question is what will be necessary? How will we endeavour to mould this lot into a team capable of finishing in 17th place? At the moment I am feeling very pessimistic about it tbh.

I wonder if, let's say Glen Hoddle, can start to make a difference to the way we play; I wonder of it might come from the players themselves. I just can't see it coming from HR. I do hope that I'm proved very wrong - starting Saturday - but I look at the fixture list and feel that we need to shape up pretty soon or we'll be bottom and waving goodbye long before Christmas.

You ask the right questions. Indeed, "If we are to stay in the Premiership though, the question is what will be necessary?" Expanding on that, if we are going to build short-term and long-term success, what steps will be necessary?

Short-term -- the players need to play together, develop chemistry and mold their individual talents into a team. To do so, they need time, training, and encouragement. All WE can do there is have a bit of patience and be encouraging.

Long-term -- we need to build our youth development program, expand our fan base and bring in more revenue on a consistent basis. Building the youth development process is clearly an important part of long-term success -- generating talent internally so we don't always have to buy it. Expanding the fan base and selling more tickets is important because we currently have the smallest ground in the Premiership and obviously cannot sell enough tickets to cover basic costs. At the moment we are set up for failure. Although it would be cool to go back to the days when money wasn't king, that isn't an option. Now players get ridiculous wages and unless we grow the fan base we will always have to rely on there being a chairman willing to spend spend spend. So, clearly we need to expand the ground or build a new one. Apparently, expanding the ground is not an option and so building a new one is critical to any long-term success or stability.

That leads to the medium-term; which is that at the moment we are a team that needs to rely on the Chairman ploughing loads of money into the team without any chance of recovery. So the one thing we need to do medium-term is not scare off our chairman. He appears willing to put in the money to float the club until the long-term measures bear fruit, so we need to protect him in order to protect the club. All the negative stuff about Tony potentially risks destroying the club int he medium-term. I hope that he probably has thick enough skin that he will just ignore it. However hope is not a strategy. I know that Chris Wright didn't have thick enough skin to ignore the negativity and decided to walk away instead which led to financial chaos, third division and coming inches away from being wound up as a club. Like I said, I hope TF wouldn't do the same, but who knows. All these people who think they can just go on being negative day after day after day. Are they sure that he won't walk away? Are they sure that the alternative isn't so much worse? Are they sure that somebody would pick up the pieces and not just let us go into Administration again?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024