Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meanwhile.... 10:22 - Sep 23 with 6525 viewsstevec

... Reading and Wigan, the clubs who came down with us in 2012/13 with arguably better squads at the time, sit in the Championship mid table and 3 points from the relegation zone respectively.

A pause for thought for the anti Redknapp brigade, ...or not, as the case may be.
Meanwhile.... on 10:27 - Sep 23 with 5161 viewspaulparker

Reading & Wigan had no where near the Budget Arry did last year
Wigan have had to sell their best midfielder to balance the books as Whelan runs it like a Business
Reading have lost their main backer the Russian fella and only got new consortium last week ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Meanwhile.... on 10:58 - Sep 23 with 5112 viewsstevec

Meanwhile.... on 10:27 - Sep 23 by paulparker

Reading & Wigan had no where near the Budget Arry did last year
Wigan have had to sell their best midfielder to balance the books as Whelan runs it like a Business
Reading have lost their main backer the Russian fella and only got new consortium last week ,

True, but he did get us up. Blackburn with £8m Rhodes still languishing, Bolton, the list of clubs who dropped and didn't get straight back up forms a long line.
Meanwhile.... on 11:36 - Sep 23 with 4993 viewsdaveB

Wigan were not shy in spending money last year, our wage bill will have been bigger but in terms of transfer fees not much in it
Meanwhile.... on 11:36 - Sep 23 with 4992 viewsLoft1979

Meanwhile.... on 10:58 - Sep 23 by stevec

True, but he did get us up. Blackburn with £8m Rhodes still languishing, Bolton, the list of clubs who dropped and didn't get straight back up forms a long line.

Indeed.
Add to that the teams who got relegated when we stayed up. ..how have they done? Wolves are a great model, as they also had to fall far in shedding several salaries.

Wigan went to the FA cup finals, and played in Europe with that squad. While QPR could not use Remy, Mbia, Adel, Granero, Cesar..
Meanwhile.... on 11:37 - Sep 23 with 4991 viewsAlbRanger

Meanwhile.... on 10:58 - Sep 23 by stevec

To be honest, these are pretty much the type of clubs which make up the Championship.

A quick squiz at the table and I can see only Millwall, Brentford, Rotherham, Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Brighton that haven't been in the Premiership at some point - most this century I reckon.
Meanwhile.... on 11:44 - Sep 23 with 4962 viewspaulparker

Reading & Wigan will be up there at the end of April
Redknapp is not a tactical genius for getting us up (with the biggest budget in the league ) , lets not forget we were top for a while before McLaren went and left it to the last of the summer wine cast ,
in that time we had different team selections, bizarre tactics,
we lost to all of the top six , oh and Wigan practically caught us up from being in the bottom 6 in December
even when we got in the play offs the semi final & final teams were shocking
we got lucky

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Meanwhile.... on 12:22 - Sep 23 with 4866 viewsHarlesdon

Only QPR fans could suck the joy out of a last minute winner at Wembley
Meanwhile.... on 12:25 - Sep 23 with 4850 viewsCorbyQPR

Got lucky? Over a 46 game season.. Some people will never admit Harry did a good job in stabalising the club last season, we could easily have been in league one now, thats the size of the mess the club was in..
Login to get fewer ads

Meanwhile.... on 12:41 - Sep 23 with 4777 viewssmegma

Meanwhile.... on 12:22 - Sep 23 by Harlesdon

Only QPR fans could suck the joy out of a last minute winner at Wembley

Took the words right out of my big mouth. It was the same with Holloway who failed to win the league and we only limped over the line on the last day like some on here said.as for Warnock, what did h ever do for this club eh ???

Jesus wept.
Meanwhile.... on 12:41 - Sep 23 with 4777 viewspaulparker

Meanwhile.... on 12:25 - Sep 23 by CorbyQPR

Got lucky? Over a 46 game season.. Some people will never admit Harry did a good job in stabalising the club last season, we could easily have been in league one now, thats the size of the mess the club was in..

yeah cos we were heading to league one with Austin,Dunne,Phillips,Green, Onouru & co
we were shocking last year with the biggest budget in the league , also worth noting that was probably the worst championship for a long time, the Warnock team with half the budget Arry had would have got over a 100 points last year
sorry but we were lucky in that play off final , a final we could have lost because our tactical genius Arry decided to stick to the formula of putting Kevin doyle on the wing

Meanwhile.... on 12:50 - Sep 23 with 4745 viewsAntti_Heinola

Meanwhile.... on 12:41 - Sep 23 by paulparker

yeah cos we were heading to league one with Austin,Dunne,Phillips,Green, Onouru & co
we were shocking last year with the biggest budget in the league , also worth noting that was probably the worst championship for a long time, the Warnock team with half the budget Arry had would have got over a 100 points last year
sorry but we were lucky in that play off final , a final we could have lost because our tactical genius Arry decided to stick to the formula of putting Kevin doyle on the wing

Listen, Redknapp did a good job to lead us to promotion. It could and should have been a lot more straight forward than it was, and for a while in Jan/Feb/Mar even April things threatened to go right off the rails when Austin wasn't around to bail us out of games we'd been pretty poor in.

But to compare to Wigan is ridiculous when you take into account the fine margins of the play-offs. Over the two legs we deserved to win, particularly in the second leg, but to ignore the fact that Green getting a faint touch on a ball that then hit the post was basically the main difference between us getting to the final or not is silly. That's football, of course, we deserved it, we played really well after an almost catastrophic first 30 minutes thanks to Redknapp's frankly thick team selection, but Wigan could just as easily have won that game. Rosler got them to the same point as Redknapp did, but things went our way on the night. The play-offs aren't a lottery, but I don't believe Redknapp is any better-a manager because we won the play-offs than had we lost in them - the margins are that fine.

Bare bones.

Meanwhile.... on 12:59 - Sep 23 with 4717 viewsAntti_Heinola

Like the OP saying Reading are 'mid-table' and Wigan are 'only 3 pts' off relegation. Of course, Reading are only '3 points' off 4th place, but that would ruin the story a bit...

Bare bones.

Meanwhile.... on 13:10 - Sep 23 with 4682 viewsTheBlob

Hmmmmmmm.......like saying R's are in the relegation zone mire but are really only 3 points behind West Ham in eighth and one point behind Manchester United.Talk about spoiling a story.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Meanwhile.... on 13:17 - Sep 23 with 4655 viewsBilly_Kershaw

Also, Cardiff and Fulham both relegated last season, both struggling and have sacked their managers already. Coming straight back up from the Championship, considering how poor we were in the relegation season was no foregone conclusion.

Never use one or two words when a couple of thousand will easily do
Poll: REVISED EXPECTATIONS - Where will QPR finish this season?

Meanwhile.... on 13:58 - Sep 23 with 4576 viewsDANRANGER

I'm not really sure what judging us against other teams really achieves. We are where we are as we did what we needed to do. Agree with the small margins bit but that's all part of the game. Redknapp did what he was asked to do and how he did it is irrelevant now as you can pick holes in any teams situation.

You cant look back. He isn't that popular and his continuous ballsh*t doesn't help him but he's not going to change. However as he did last season, I believe he will find a way to keep us up. I hope the 2 year contract thing is a myth as it would be wrong to give it to him when he was going to walk away if we didn't go up. At his age year by year is the way forward and we should be planning for a younger option to step in at some point but for now I'd accept he is here and will annoy us, but we are only 5 games in with a new team so lets see what they can achieve.
Meanwhile.... on 14:13 - Sep 23 with 4550 viewsHarlesdon

Meanwhile.... on 12:41 - Sep 23 by paulparker

Of course we could have lost it

To focus on that rather than the fact we scored an 89th minute winner in front of 40,000 QPR fans after being reduced to ten men??
Meanwhile.... on 14:35 - Sep 23 with 4513 viewspaulparker

Meanwhile.... on 14:13 - Sep 23 by Harlesdon

Of course we could have lost it

To focus on that rather than the fact we scored an 89th minute winner in front of 40,000 QPR fans after being reduced to ten men??

your post makes no sense to the debate as per normal

Meanwhile.... on 14:42 - Sep 23 with 4499 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Christ, we do like a row on here recently. Even better if we've had the same row 400 times before and there's zero hope of anyone changing their mind.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Meanwhile.... on 14:58 - Sep 23 with 4466 viewsdaveB

Meanwhile.... on 11:44 - Sep 23 by paulparker

Reading & Wigan will be up there at the end of April
Redknapp is not a tactical genius for getting us up (with the biggest budget in the league ) , lets not forget we were top for a while before McLaren went and left it to the last of the summer wine cast ,
in that time we had different team selections, bizarre tactics,
we lost to all of the top six , oh and Wigan practically caught us up from being in the bottom 6 in December
even when we got in the play offs the semi final & final teams were shocking
we got lucky

No one is saying Redknapp is a genius and he made plenty of mistakes last season but it's not easy to bounce straight back after a relegation especially with a side as poor as ours which needed an overhaul.

He wasn't manager of the year or anything but he did a pretty decent job getting us up in the end. His budget was big but Warnock didn't put that team together with peanuts either and he used the loan market pretty well overall.

The best work Redknapp did was getting in players last summer and having a group which wouldn't freefall down the league and be competitive. Yes he had money to spend but so have Cardiff this year and Wigan last and neither look that good.

I know it's open season on Redknapp at the moment but he does deserve some credit for putting a team together which won promotion. It was only the 3rd time we've gone up in about 17 years so not as though we do it all the time
Meanwhile.... on 16:04 - Sep 23 with 4373 viewsKaos_Agent

Derby, which most pundits apparently view as the unluckiest squad in history after losing at Wembley, is also hardly ripping up the Championship at the moment. Early days yet all round. My concern is that due to the constant changes, the R's can't find a way to gel. Envious of Leicester's display last weekend.

"Then it has all been in vain. The fellowship has failed." "Not if we hold true to each other."

Meanwhile.... on 16:14 - Sep 23 with 4352 viewsloftus77

Meanwhile.... on 14:58 - Sep 23 by daveB

No one is saying Redknapp is a genius and he made plenty of mistakes last season but it's not easy to bounce straight back after a relegation especially with a side as poor as ours which needed an overhaul.

He wasn't manager of the year or anything but he did a pretty decent job getting us up in the end. His budget was big but Warnock didn't put that team together with peanuts either and he used the loan market pretty well overall.

The best work Redknapp did was getting in players last summer and having a group which wouldn't freefall down the league and be competitive. Yes he had money to spend but so have Cardiff this year and Wigan last and neither look that good.

I know it's open season on Redknapp at the moment but he does deserve some credit for putting a team together which won promotion. It was only the 3rd time we've gone up in about 17 years so not as though we do it all the time

Yep, come on. I'm as concerned as anyone at the way things are at the moment, but no one can take away the fact that Harry Redknapp did a fantastic (ney 'triffic) job in getting us straight back up last season.

We could have done a Wolves easily. Look at Bolton and Blackburn. 'Boro, Leeds, Wendy have yet to resurface. Forest will now be outside the Prem longer than we were (since 1999). Under Harry, we were pomoted straight away - you could say it was lucky, but we had 10 men and how many chances did Derby actually have? Fair play to Harry and the team for finding a way, depsite huge changes across the year.

We are back in the Prem just as much as Leicester and Burnley are., and deserve to be. I know alarm bells are ringing after 5 games and they should be, given the strength of our performance (...) But I still have to say thanks to Harry for last season.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2014 16:19]
Meanwhile.... on 16:28 - Sep 23 with 4328 viewsWestbourneR

Ok this is tough for me. Ultimately we did go up and as we've seen from many other examples that was not a given. I think Wigan are 100% comparable, they spent lots and backed Coyle and now Rosler and have got absolutely nowhere.

I think Harry did well to remodel the squad (Simpson & O'Neil were clever frees, and Austin was value at £4 mill) and get Barton playing again.

BUT we were also very lucky and limped into the play-offs.

We got off to a great start but a lot of our wins were scraped and helped by the fact Bolton & Reading etc. were basically terrible. It was a very weak Championship.

And on top of that Redknapp tactically is just abysmal. Still is.

DOYLE ON THE WING! I wanted to hunt him down and kill him when we started the final that way. I mean WHY???

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Meanwhile.... on 16:37 - Sep 23 with 4306 viewsLoft1979

Meanwhile.... on 13:17 - Sep 23 by Billy_Kershaw

Also, Cardiff and Fulham both relegated last season, both struggling and have sacked their managers already. Coming straight back up from the Championship, considering how poor we were in the relegation season was no foregone conclusion.

Fullham are struggling...........understatement!
Meanwhile.... on 16:45 - Sep 23 with 4287 viewsLoft1979

Meanwhile.... on 16:04 - Sep 23 by Kaos_Agent

Derby, which most pundits apparently view as the unluckiest squad in history after losing at Wembley, is also hardly ripping up the Championship at the moment. Early days yet all round. My concern is that due to the constant changes, the R's can't find a way to gel. Envious of Leicester's display last weekend.

POST of the day ...(for me).
'My concern is that due to the constant changes, the R's can't find a way to gel.
After relegation we had to purge, coming up we had to rebuild. If we get relegated same again. Since we are comparing, I think QPR remind me of West Ham in that we are following them in many ways. having gotten promoted, surviving only to be relegated (despite Demba Ba, Hitzelberger, Parker, Green, Noble), only to bounce back (thru playoffs).

' http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/qpr/news/caulker-qpr-need-time-to-gel_17844
Meanwhile.... on 17:05 - Sep 23 with 4256 views00calben

Meanwhile.... on 11:36 - Sep 23 by daveB

Wigan were not shy in spending money last year, our wage bill will have been bigger but in terms of transfer fees not much in it

Is that a joke? You do realise Wigan raised £16m from the sale of McCarthy and £5m from the sale of Kone??

Although we recouped our money on Samba, we spent the thick end of £8-9m on Austin and Phillips alone. They spent less than £5m total on Holt, McClean, Carson, Barnett, Perch.

I somehow think our overall spend last summer was greater than theirs...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024