Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which team to support? 20:58 - Sep 29 with 5846 viewsDeano19766

Given my long standing hatred of the Premiershite, and my decision a number of years ago to go nowhere near a game in it, I'm just trying to work out which lower or non league league club to adopt and start going to watch regularly home and away. I'm down in Surrey. So far the options I've come up with are -

Crawley Town
Woking
Basingstoke Town (my mate is Basingstoke mad and follows them everywhere)

Anyone else been to any clubs that may be worth considering?
Which team to support? on 15:38 - Sep 30 with 982 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Which team to support? on 14:41 - Sep 30 by Bluce_Ree

genuinely shit!

And I thought Oscar Wilde was dead.
Which team to support? on 15:38 - Sep 30 with 979 viewssimmo

Which team to support? on 00:22 - Sep 30 by Northernr

First time ever Bluce, we disagree.

I'll talk to you about fcking depressing and literally sht for a moment if I may....

Seeing QPR sign Danny Simpson, make out like he's the bee's knees, bring him into the club and promote him going to all of the Kiyan Prince Foundation stuff, all the down's syndrome Tiger Cubs stuff, in his own time, on the fcking YouTube channel, to show how brilliant we are as a club, having him play fantastically for us all year, consistently good, never a bad performance, because he was desperate to get back in the Premier League as a starting full back and then we get there, partly because of his contribution, and the first thing we do is bomb him out in favour of a Chilean who a) can't run and b) doesn't even play his position...

that's fcking depressing and literally sht.

This post has been edited by an administrator

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/126546/danny-simps

Stick to the existing thread please, Clive

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Which team to support? on 16:03 - Sep 30 with 958 viewsSonofNorfolt

Not all Non League is shiit, like not all Killing Joke songs are shiit.

Personally, I watch a lot of football, all levels, but am no longer daft enough to watch us regularily away, so watch other games when we are.

However, bollox to us being in lower divisions, unlikely as it is, I'd rather have even a small chance in the FA Cup than compete in the fuukin Auto Windscreens 'let's have a day out at Wembley Cup'.

This Saturday I shall travel to Weston super Mare with a couple of hundred Wealdstone, then go down my local on Sunday to watch us struggle at Upton Park and save myself a oner that I would have normally spent.
Which team to support? on 17:03 - Sep 30 with 937 viewsTGRRRSSS

Hayes & Yeading currently playing at York Road Maidenhead.Last the weekend it was FA Cup and H&Y got St Albans, so a Albans fan turns up all ready for the 3pm kick off, only to discover Maidenhead were playing Faversham (With DJ Campbell amongst the goals as it turned out.
He was 24 hours early.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 17:04]
Which team to support? on 17:08 - Sep 30 with 933 viewsFredManRave

Which team to support? on 09:57 - Sep 30 by paulparker

What About Hayes & Yeading ?
used to have a lot of fun & games following Hayes in the early nineties in the fa cup against Cardiff Peterborough,Fulham & Crawley, loads of QPR lads used to follow them as well

Btw top post clive Re Simpson and where the club is heading

I used to follow Crawley when I was younger having been born and breed there. Went to the Hayes vs Crawley F.A.Cup game in 92 which was the game that sandwiched our epic 1st round victory against Northampton Town and our 3rd round defeat to Brighton watched by 18k at the Goldstone. Great days. Real football, etc etc...

Crawley now the FL most hated team it would appear.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Which team to support? on 17:14 - Sep 30 with 930 viewspaulparker

Which team to support? on 17:08 - Sep 30 by FredManRave

I used to follow Crawley when I was younger having been born and breed there. Went to the Hayes vs Crawley F.A.Cup game in 92 which was the game that sandwiched our epic 1st round victory against Northampton Town and our 3rd round defeat to Brighton watched by 18k at the Goldstone. Great days. Real football, etc etc...

I remember that game well Fred, being a little Herbert at the time I do recall a lot of handbags between the 2 sets of fans, and one of the crawley coaches being bricked
most of that was down to the fact most of Hayes thought that after dispatching Fulham in the 1st round ( what a night that was BTW ) Crawley would be a mere formality for a beano into Brighton for the next round

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Which team to support? on 18:08 - Sep 30 with 898 viewsqprphil

Well as a new Q.P.R. poster, and fan, now living in Kent since 1974. I found the journey to games either by train, or car, finally take its toll on me, the final straw being the plastic pitch. I now watch my local side Ebbsfleet Utd, which I adopted when gave up travelling to Rangers games. They are in the Conf South, the same league as Basingstoke. We have played them in the league and lost 1-0, we have now drawn them again in the qualifying round of the F.A.cup.. Believe it or not, we have the same debates about managers, players etc. We also have recently got a new sugar daddy, who is throwing money at it. Our manager is Steve Brown, ex Charlton player, with Steve Gritt as his assistant. It is great to watch, no trouble, the odd swear word, plenty of room in the club to watch telly, and get a pint. However, Rangers are my side, and all my friends are giving me constant updates on there score, and it still ruins my weekend if they lose, and the Mrs. I still attend some games with my son, its in the blood.
Which team to support? on 18:26 - Sep 30 with 890 viewsJamie

As of sunday, Honvéd are my local team. Come on the Mighty Magyars!

Can honestly say I fear that as long as Arry and Uncle Tone are at the club, my interest in keeping up with Rangers will either away.
Login to get fewer ads

Which team to support? on 18:36 - Sep 30 with 882 viewsTheBlob

Which team to support? on 18:08 - Sep 30 by qprphil

Well as a new Q.P.R. poster, and fan, now living in Kent since 1974. I found the journey to games either by train, or car, finally take its toll on me, the final straw being the plastic pitch. I now watch my local side Ebbsfleet Utd, which I adopted when gave up travelling to Rangers games. They are in the Conf South, the same league as Basingstoke. We have played them in the league and lost 1-0, we have now drawn them again in the qualifying round of the F.A.cup.. Believe it or not, we have the same debates about managers, players etc. We also have recently got a new sugar daddy, who is throwing money at it. Our manager is Steve Brown, ex Charlton player, with Steve Gritt as his assistant. It is great to watch, no trouble, the odd swear word, plenty of room in the club to watch telly, and get a pint. However, Rangers are my side, and all my friends are giving me constant updates on there score, and it still ruins my weekend if they lose, and the Mrs. I still attend some games with my son, its in the blood.

Nice ground Stonebridge Road,parking was a bit of a bugger.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Which team to support? on 18:49 - Sep 30 with 871 viewsqprphil

Which team to support? on 18:36 - Sep 30 by TheBlob

Nice ground Stonebridge Road,parking was a bit of a bugger.

Parking now no problem, 1000s of spaces in Ebbsfleet International station.Stonebridge Road, is now the P.H.B. stadium, as from this season. We all still, and will call it Stonebridge Road though. We have quite a strong team now, and hope to get promoted. Charlie Sheringham, is our leading goal scorer (Teddys lad) Attendance normally around the 800- 1000 mark.
Which team to support? on 19:19 - Sep 30 with 853 viewsTheBlob

Which team to support? on 18:49 - Sep 30 by qprphil

Parking now no problem, 1000s of spaces in Ebbsfleet International station.Stonebridge Road, is now the P.H.B. stadium, as from this season. We all still, and will call it Stonebridge Road though. We have quite a strong team now, and hope to get promoted. Charlie Sheringham, is our leading goal scorer (Teddys lad) Attendance normally around the 800- 1000 mark.

How times change.Went to Gravesend & Northfleet loads of times as a Kent football supporter(Cray wanderers)from the 1960's......always a good atmos down there.There was a game I saw which involved Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest,new floodlights and rumours of brown envelopes and service staion rendezvous(I think Stan Bowles played).Anyway good luck,hope you get promoted,the ground alone deserves that.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Which team to support? on 19:44 - Sep 30 with 837 viewsqprphil

Which team to support? on 19:19 - Sep 30 by TheBlob

How times change.Went to Gravesend & Northfleet loads of times as a Kent football supporter(Cray wanderers)from the 1960's......always a good atmos down there.There was a game I saw which involved Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest,new floodlights and rumours of brown envelopes and service staion rendezvous(I think Stan Bowles played).Anyway good luck,hope you get promoted,the ground alone deserves that.

Thanks for that. My work moved to Ashford in Kent, that's why I am here now. Although now, many years retired. Born Acton, lived Wembley.
Which team to support? on 20:17 - Sep 30 with 821 viewsMonahoop

Which team to support? on 17:08 - Sep 30 by FredManRave

You and I would have been rivals Fred. I was born and raised in Horsham, lived round the corner from their old but quaint Queen Street stadium and back in the day, Crawley were Horsham's [ the Hornets ] biggest rivals. Was odd that both clubs played in different leagues, Horsham in the Isthmian League and Crawley in the Southern League. The only time the two teams met would have been in cup games or floodlight competition games [remember those]. Some big crowds would watch some of these derbies, nearly 4,000 turned up at Horsham to watch an FA Cup 4th Qual Rnd game back in the early 90's.
How each clubs fortunes have changed recently. Crawley moving from Town Mead to a new stadium and the Football League and Horsham being made homeless, playing their football over the hedge at Sussex County League neighbours Horsham YMCA and languishing in the murky depths of Ryman League 2 South, penniless. How I curse Horsham's misfortune and Crawley's, dare I say good fortune. UP THE HORNETS!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Which team to support? on 20:39 - Sep 30 with 801 viewsstrikerace

How about Fulham? (Just kidding).
Which team to support? on 20:45 - Sep 30 with 796 viewsFredManRave

Which team to support? on 20:17 - Sep 30 by Monahoop

You and I would have been rivals Fred. I was born and raised in Horsham, lived round the corner from their old but quaint Queen Street stadium and back in the day, Crawley were Horsham's [ the Hornets ] biggest rivals. Was odd that both clubs played in different leagues, Horsham in the Isthmian League and Crawley in the Southern League. The only time the two teams met would have been in cup games or floodlight competition games [remember those]. Some big crowds would watch some of these derbies, nearly 4,000 turned up at Horsham to watch an FA Cup 4th Qual Rnd game back in the early 90's.
How each clubs fortunes have changed recently. Crawley moving from Town Mead to a new stadium and the Football League and Horsham being made homeless, playing their football over the hedge at Sussex County League neighbours Horsham YMCA and languishing in the murky depths of Ryman League 2 South, penniless. How I curse Horsham's misfortune and Crawley's, dare I say good fortune. UP THE HORNETS!

Was at that Horsham F.A.Cup game, pleased to get out of there with a 0-0 and fortunately we did the business back at Town Mead in the replay when I'm guessing there must have been near 4.000 there as well, a gate only ever surpassed by our record 4.200 in the self same cup run, 1st round pwopa 4-2 win over Northampton that got us on MOTD.

To an extent I can understand why Crawley are disliked, because they bought their success but then they're still only in League 1, holding their own under John Gregory attracting about 2k fans at home games. Hardly reaping untold glories and they've had their share of problems with admin, mad owners etc etc.

As for Horsham, they didn't really register. Brighton were our local rivals.
Shame to hear whta's happened to Horsham though, I had no idea. LONG LIVE THE HORNETS!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Which team to support? on 20:50 - Sep 30 with 787 viewsDeano19766

Which team to support? on 18:08 - Sep 30 by qprphil

Shall hopefully be at Ebbsfleet with my Basingstoke mad pal in a couple of weeks
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 20:51]
Which team to support? on 21:00 - Sep 30 with 775 viewsMonahoop

Which team to support? on 20:45 - Sep 30 by FredManRave

Was at that Horsham F.A.Cup game, pleased to get out of there with a 0-0 and fortunately we did the business back at Town Mead in the replay when I'm guessing there must have been near 4.000 there as well, a gate only ever surpassed by our record 4.200 in the self same cup run, 1st round pwopa 4-2 win over Northampton that got us on MOTD.

To an extent I can understand why Crawley are disliked, because they bought their success but then they're still only in League 1, holding their own under John Gregory attracting about 2k fans at home games. Hardly reaping untold glories and they've had their share of problems with admin, mad owners etc etc.

As for Horsham, they didn't really register. Brighton were our local rivals.
Shame to hear whta's happened to Horsham though, I had no idea. LONG LIVE THE HORNETS!

I've seen only a couple of Horsham games since moving from England. They are striving to get a new ground outside the town, but the local council and local populace are being far from helpful I gather. John Maggs was I recall a hero figure at Crawley when he managed there. He was popular at Horsham too when he went to them, getting them to the 2nd Round of the FA Cup in 2006, taking Swansea City to a replay.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Which team to support? on 21:03 - Sep 30 with 772 viewsDeano19766

Be interesting to see if a thread on non-league football would run to 3 pages on a Manure or Chelscum forum. Highly unlikely I would say as most probably consider the Championship as non-league. Says it all really about what the Premiershite actually is
Which team to support? on 21:30 - Sep 30 with 754 viewsslranger40

Which team to support? on 21:03 - Sep 30 by Deano19766

Be interesting to see if a thread on non-league football would run to 3 pages on a Manure or Chelscum forum. Highly unlikely I would say as most probably consider the Championship as non-league. Says it all really about what the Premiershite actually is

I agree with the op, elite football is utter, utter bs. Shame really.
Which team to support? on 22:14 - Sep 30 with 727 viewsqprphil

Which team to support? on 20:50 - Sep 30 by Deano19766

Shall hopefully be at Ebbsfleet with my Basingstoke mad pal in a couple of weeks
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 20:51]

I will be there, in the bar, first table on the left at the end of the bar. Red baseball cap with Ebbsfleet Utd written on it. Should not be segregated, so please say hello.
Phil.
Which team to support? on 00:25 - Oct 1 with 696 viewsTrance_Trousers

Phil.

Have you ventured down to the Gallagher yet(Maidstone) ?. All being well we should be seeing one another next season.

Once you`ve had black you never go back.........

Which team to support? on 01:13 - Oct 1 with 688 viewsSonofNorfolt

Which team to support? on 00:25 - Oct 1 by Trance_Trousers

Phil.

Have you ventured down to the Gallagher yet(Maidstone) ?. All being well we should be seeing one another next season.

It may have to be via the play offs Sharpy as I think that Margate will win the league, they have the readies.
Which team to support? on 01:24 - Oct 1 with 687 viewsTrance_Trousers

It`s getting interesting Mate. This whole NL set up is weird with the seven day approach thing, just lost a couple of players through it, although bench warmers. Two new faces added including an ex Charlton u21 captain. Could be losing Alex flisher to Gillingham some time soon, which is a big loss. Don`t worry though Mel you and the (Other) Stones are invited to the mash up next season.

Once you`ve had black you never go back.........

Which team to support? on 02:09 - Oct 1 with 679 viewsSonofNorfolt

Dunno if that will happen from either side yet mate?
The Conference South is a significant footballing standard jump, and the Stones are currently bottom.
Admittedly they lost Pett and Okimo to Stevenage, both now playing League Two, or the Fourth Division as we prefer, but I still thought they'd be OK.
Some of the Bromley players are on about £800 a week, as perhaps are many others. What deal has DJ Campbell got at Maidenhead? Although Wealdstone me compete, having just got in Enoch Showumni, 9ft 6", whom I recall scored against us for Luton.
Which team to support? on 05:36 - Oct 1 with 656 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Which team to support? on 02:09 - Oct 1 by SonofNorfolt

Dunno if that will happen from either side yet mate?
The Conference South is a significant footballing standard jump, and the Stones are currently bottom.
Admittedly they lost Pett and Okimo to Stevenage, both now playing League Two, or the Fourth Division as we prefer, but I still thought they'd be OK.
Some of the Bromley players are on about £800 a week, as perhaps are many others. What deal has DJ Campbell got at Maidenhead? Although Wealdstone me compete, having just got in Enoch Showumni, 9ft 6", whom I recall scored against us for Luton.

Are you sure it's not HMP Maidstone for match fixing?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024