Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which team to support? 20:58 - Sep 29 with 5845 viewsDeano19766

Given my long standing hatred of the Premiershite, and my decision a number of years ago to go nowhere near a game in it, I'm just trying to work out which lower or non league league club to adopt and start going to watch regularly home and away. I'm down in Surrey. So far the options I've come up with are -

Crawley Town
Woking
Basingstoke Town (my mate is Basingstoke mad and follows them everywhere)

Anyone else been to any clubs that may be worth considering?
Which team to support? on 23:56 - Sep 29 with 1473 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Which team to support? on 23:54 - Sep 29 by Bluce_Ree

Non-league football is f*cking depressing. It's literally shit. I'm never going back to it.

Shit but genuine.
Which team to support? on 00:15 - Sep 30 with 1459 viewsHunterhoop

Which team to support? on 23:50 - Sep 29 by loftboy

Wouldn't kingstonians gone bust without AFC Wimbledon bailing them out, plus they play them I. A friendly every year and give them the proceeds.

No. Ks gave AFC free use of their ground when they started. Free.

AFC, in Ks hour of need, when their chairman asset striped them and f*cked them, bought the ground off their chairman and then charged Ks a heft price to lease the ground for their home games. They basically were opportunistic and then squeezed Ks. No offer of "free" rent as Ks had given AFC back in the day.

Ks got screwed by their chairman, don't get me wrong. But AFC did not "help" them, they saw an opportunity to help themselves, in spite of all Ks had done for them up until then.

I have a couple of mates who are big Ks fans and they don't speak highly of AFC. They would obviously know the full picture rather than the simple look as I understand it.
Which team to support? on 00:22 - Sep 30 with 1460 viewsNorthernr

Which team to support? on 23:54 - Sep 29 by Bluce_Ree

Non-league football is f*cking depressing. It's literally shit. I'm never going back to it.

First time ever Bluce, we disagree.

I'll talk to you about fcking depressing and literally sht for a moment if I may....

Seeing QPR sign Danny Simpson, make out like he's the bee's knees, bring him into the club and promote him going to all of the Kiyan Prince Foundation stuff, all the down's syndrome Tiger Cubs stuff, in his own time, on the fcking YouTube channel, to show how brilliant we are as a club, having him play fantastically for us all year, consistently good, never a bad performance, because he was desperate to get back in the Premier League as a starting full back and then we get there, partly because of his contribution, and the first thing we do is bomb him out in favour of a Chilean who a) can't run and b) doesn't even play his position...

that's fcking depressing and literally sht.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Which team to support? on 01:41 - Sep 30 with 1436 viewsbarabajagal

Ahhh, the revolution begins... Fly that red flag comrades, fly it high. (By the way, the dripping pan is great fun, and the elephant and castle do a 3 pounds a pint if you have a match day ticket)
Which team to support? on 06:17 - Sep 30 with 1393 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Which team to support? on 01:41 - Sep 30 by barabajagal

Ahhh, the revolution begins... Fly that red flag comrades, fly it high. (By the way, the dripping pan is great fun, and the elephant and castle do a 3 pounds a pint if you have a match day ticket)

Oh dear. Monday night beer ups : (
Which team to support? on 07:25 - Sep 30 with 1364 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Which team to support? on 21:03 - Sep 29 by Match82

Chipstead. Although it's been many years since I've been, and they are quite far down the league pyramid...

That would be my choice. My lad plays for one of their youth teams so I am a fiver and he would get in free. I am embarrassed to say I haven't been yet though and he has been there at least seven years.
Which team to support? on 07:26 - Sep 30 with 1364 viewsloftboy

Which team to support? on 00:15 - Sep 30 by Hunterhoop

No. Ks gave AFC free use of their ground when they started. Free.

AFC, in Ks hour of need, when their chairman asset striped them and f*cked them, bought the ground off their chairman and then charged Ks a heft price to lease the ground for their home games. They basically were opportunistic and then squeezed Ks. No offer of "free" rent as Ks had given AFC back in the day.

Ks got screwed by their chairman, don't get me wrong. But AFC did not "help" them, they saw an opportunity to help themselves, in spite of all Ks had done for them up until then.

I have a couple of mates who are big Ks fans and they don't speak highly of AFC. They would obviously know the full picture rather than the simple look as I understand it.

Out of interest what are kingstonian going to do if AFC move back to plough lane?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Which team to support? on 07:33 - Sep 30 with 1359 viewsjohnhoop

Which team to support? on 00:22 - Sep 30 by Northernr

I'll talk to you about fcking depressing and literally sht for a moment if I may....

Seeing QPR sign Danny Simpson, make out like he's the bee's knees, bring him into the club and promote him going to all of the Kiyan Prince Foundation stuff, all the down's syndrome Tiger Cubs stuff, in his own time, on the fcking YouTube channel, to show how brilliant we are as a club, having him play fantastically for us all year, consistently good, never a bad performance, because he was desperate to get back in the Premier League as a starting full back and then we get there, partly because of his contribution, and the first thing we do is bomb him out in favour of a Chilean who a) can't run and b) doesn't even play his position...

Thanks for summing it up so beautifully Clive. I too felt that the sale of Simpson, even as it was first rumoured to be happening, was a truly appalling decision. It was actually done a couple of games into the season when we were at the very point of jettisoning the 3-5-2 that Isla had been bought for.
It was a truly shambolic piece of decision making and together with the gratuitous, wasteful and totally pointless signing of Ferdinand has turned our defence into a disaster area.
I can understand the point of people like Dave B, who say it's far too early to get rid of the manager but personally I hope we can get shot of him before he commits any more irrevocable f--k-ups like getting rid of Ned as well.
Don't think it's going to happen though and it's sucking the soul out of the club.
Login to get fewer ads

Which team to support? on 07:54 - Sep 30 with 1328 viewsbarabajagal

Which team to support? on 06:17 - Sep 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Oh dear. Monday night beer ups : (

It's the best night for drinks. Pub empty, and work colleagues think one is genuinely ill, whereas people suspect foul play on a Friday morning.
Which team to support? on 09:49 - Sep 30 with 1278 viewsTearsOfaClown

My nearest is TONBRIDGE ANGELS - on Sunday I spoke to one friend who went to a few games last season and he said they only have one player from last seasons squad and is getting like the Prem in that respect.

As a kid I used to follow Harrow Borough and also Wealdstone - saw the latter win the Amateur Cup (FA Vase?) in the 60's.
Which team to support? on 09:57 - Sep 30 with 1268 viewspaulparker

What About Hayes & Yeading ?
used to have a lot of fun & games following Hayes in the early nineties in the fa cup against Cardiff Peterborough,Fulham & Crawley, loads of QPR lads used to follow them as well

Btw top post clive Re Simpson and where the club is heading

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Which team to support? on 09:57 - Sep 30 with 1268 viewsYorkRanger

For me, not surprisingly York City, although the beauty of a proper old football ground and the location with the widest voice of pubs you could ever wish for, will soon be lost when they move to their new modern out of the city centre stadium....
Which team to support? on 09:59 - Sep 30 with 1265 viewsPommyhoop

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Which team to support? on 11:48 - Sep 30 with 1233 viewsPinnerPaul

To O/P, if you're that interested in having NOTHING to do with watching us, why not post on a forum of a club you DO want to watch!
Which team to support? on 12:05 - Sep 30 with 1222 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Which team to support? on 11:48 - Sep 30 by PinnerPaul

To O/P, if you're that interested in having NOTHING to do with watching us, why not post on a forum of a club you DO want to watch!

Yes, that thought did cross my mind as well.
Still, it has made for an interesting thread at least.
Which team to support? on 12:28 - Sep 30 with 1193 viewsDeano19766

Which team to support? on 11:48 - Sep 30 by PinnerPaul

Because I love reading this board and QPR will always be in my heart (it doesn't just go away after being Rangers mad for so many years - it was more than life and death at times!). However, the modern era of top flight football has ruined it for me. Should we find ourselves back down in League 1 again (or lower) I will no doubt be back going home & away for most of the season. Just because I have decided I cannot bring myself to watch Premiershite football and thus won't go to watch Rangers anymore, does not mean I don;t care about the club (will always love the Rangers). So at least get off your high horse while you continue to be treated as a second class supporter to the more important 'fans' in Asia and elsewhere around the world watching on the box . Satisfactory answer?

Clive, top post. Very true.

Hayes & Yeading would be my first shout if I still lived in Greenford. But it's looking like giving Woking a go and seeing how it develops. Come on the Cards!
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 12:35]
Which team to support? on 12:37 - Sep 30 with 1182 viewsPinnerPaul

Which team to support? on 12:28 - Sep 30 by Deano19766

Because I love reading this board and QPR will always be in my heart (it doesn't just go away after being Rangers mad for so many years - it was more than life and death at times!). However, the modern era of top flight football has ruined it for me. Should we find ourselves back down in League 1 again (or lower) I will no doubt be back going home & away for most of the season. Just because I have decided I cannot bring myself to watch Premiershite football and thus won't go to watch Rangers anymore, does not mean I don;t care about the club (will always love the Rangers). So at least get off your high horse while you continue to be treated as a second class supporter to the more important 'fans' in Asia and elsewhere around the world watching on the box . Satisfactory answer?

Clive, top post. Very true.

Hayes & Yeading would be my first shout if I still lived in Greenford. But it's looking like giving Woking a go and seeing how it develops. Come on the Cards!
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 12:35]

I don't feel like a 2nd class citizen and will remain on my high horse about "fans" who "don't care/like Premier League" but continue to post on here.

Don't think its a little strange that for someone who hasn't seen a minutes live football you start a thread saying first thing TF MUST do this week is sack the manager?
Which team to support? on 12:49 - Sep 30 with 1175 viewsDeano19766

Which team to support? on 12:37 - Sep 30 by PinnerPaul

I don't feel like a 2nd class citizen and will remain on my high horse about "fans" who "don't care/like Premier League" but continue to post on here.

Don't think its a little strange that for someone who hasn't seen a minutes live football you start a thread saying first thing TF MUST do this week is sack the manager?

I didn't say you shouldn't post on here. It was you who said I shouldn't!

Watched us a few times last year and thought Harry should have gone. Have watched 3 or so games on the internet this year and think Harry has lost the plot. As I said, I still care about Rangers (can't help it) even if I won't go anymore. Who are you to say I shouldn't anyway?
Which team to support? on 13:02 - Sep 30 with 1166 viewsMonahoop

Which team to support? on 23:50 - Sep 29 by loftboy

Wouldn't kingstonians gone bust without AFC Wimbledon bailing them out, plus they play them I. A friendly every year and give them the proceeds.

When I used to live in New Malden, I used to watch Kingstonian on a regular basis, both in the Ryman League and their short tenure in the Conference. Big spending former Woking manager Geoff Chapple nearly crippled them along with a rather corrupt board [sounds familiar this]. A return to the Ryman League and near extinction, that was until AFC Wimbledon formed and were looking for a ground to call home. I'm not sure what financial assistance AFC offered the K's as I moved when AFC formed so I know little of what went on.
Saw some great games at Kingsmeadow including QPR twice in pre season friendlies. Saw them win back to back FA Trophies at Wembley and almost reach the 5th Round of the FA Cup in 2001. The local rivalry and hatred between K's, Sutton and Woking was often tasty.

I often look on their website still to catch their results. I also keep an eye out for my old home team Horsham struggling away still in Ryman League Div 1 South. It's hard to think that their old local rivals were Crawley Town.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Which team to support? on 13:47 - Sep 30 with 1136 viewsPinnerPaul

Which team to support? on 12:49 - Sep 30 by Deano19766

I didn't say you shouldn't post on here. It was you who said I shouldn't!

Watched us a few times last year and thought Harry should have gone. Have watched 3 or so games on the internet this year and think Harry has lost the plot. As I said, I still care about Rangers (can't help it) even if I won't go anymore. Who are you to say I shouldn't anyway?

You're free to do what what you want but "not caring" about the Premier League but posting about sacking the manager of a club IN the Premier League doesn't add up.

If you would REALLY rather see us out of it, surely, accordimg to you, Harry is your ideal man to achieve that!
Which team to support? on 13:49 - Sep 30 with 1134 viewsR_from_afar

Which team to support? on 00:22 - Sep 30 by Northernr

Totally spot on. Getting rid of Simpson was lunacy, but then *because* it was lunacy, I should've seen it coming.

One of the most depressing incidents in an already quite depressing season.

Back on topic, whilst acknowledging that it's not close to Surrey, my best mate goes to most Wycombe games, including many of the away ones, and I have gone along a few times. It's a cheap day out, the atmosphere is usually good and the people are very welcoming. A massive bonus is being able to see Ainsworth doing his stuff.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Which team to support? on 13:56 - Sep 30 with 1130 viewsLincoln_Hoop

I also follow Lincoln City, my home town team. Some of the away games I've been to with them recently have been cracking days out - Chester and Kidderminster in particular.
Which team to support? on 14:27 - Sep 30 with 1105 viewsrobith

A mate of mine is a massive fan of Gresly FC, helped with all the fundraiser to restart them when Gresly Rovers went under, have had some cracking days out watching them. Including at Kettering in the FA CUP, we were chanting WE ARE SOUTH DERBYSHIRE and some 13 year old with a bum fluff tache comes up to me "WHY DON'T YOU F*CK OFF BACK THERE THEN!" before his mum called him back and we were all creasing up.

Dulwich Hamlet probs my fave team to watch in London
Which team to support? on 14:29 - Sep 30 with 1104 viewsrobith

Also Crawley are widely considered as a kind of Chelsea/Man City hybrid in NL circles, so i'd swerve.

Got a couple of mates involved with Hendon as well in the supporters trust who rescued the club. Always enjoyed there too (though they lost their ground to their owners so have been a bit nomadic)
Which team to support? on 14:41 - Sep 30 with 1093 viewsBluce_Ree

Which team to support? on 23:56 - Sep 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Shit but genuine.

genuinely shit!

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024