Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
last animal standing? 23:59 - Sep 29 with 1370 viewsHollowayRanger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29418983

The global loss of species is even worse than previously thought, the London Zoological Society (ZSL) says in its new Living Planet Index.
The report suggests populations have halved in 40 years, as new methodology gives more alarming results than in a report two years ago.
The report says populations of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish have declined by an average of 52%.
Populations of freshwater species have suffered an even worse fall of 76%.

im glad im here now as I wouldn't want to be here in another 100 or so years time the way things are going

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

last animal standing? on 00:14 - Sep 30 with 1358 viewsTheBlob

The course of history is littered with redundant species that had little or nothing to do with Man.That's what Nature does,it kills what it creates,and it's only because of our insecurities that it becomes an emotional issue.Everything on this planet is going to die when the sun swells up and engulfs the Earth.Hopefully the race will have moved to another piece of real estate in time.And please no bullshit about ruining another planet.We adapt,evolve,the mistakes won't be made again because the reasons behind them will no longer be applicable.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 0:15]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

last animal standing? on 11:04 - Sep 30 with 1254 viewsDiscodroids

unfortunately not ducks or swans if the eastern european 'migrants' in my local paper have anything to do with it.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/11503161.TfL_promises_action_over_illegal_

"within two weeks of moving in"..'disappeared'

why cant they just go round the back of icelands skip like any other self respecting traveller of the continents in my area??
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 11:10]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

last animal standing? on 12:37 - Sep 30 with 1200 viewsMonahoop

It has been said that when planet Earth calls it a day, the last creatures standing will be of indestructible nature, ie cockroaches and Keith Richards!!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

last animal standing? on 13:18 - Sep 30 with 1176 viewsR_from_afar

last animal standing? on 00:14 - Sep 30 by TheBlob

The course of history is littered with redundant species that had little or nothing to do with Man.That's what Nature does,it kills what it creates,and it's only because of our insecurities that it becomes an emotional issue.Everything on this planet is going to die when the sun swells up and engulfs the Earth.Hopefully the race will have moved to another piece of real estate in time.And please no bullshit about ruining another planet.We adapt,evolve,the mistakes won't be made again because the reasons behind them will no longer be applicable.

Now Mr Blob, you are certainly correct that nature does indeed kill species, but in this case, the vast majority of the species in question are being wiped out by human activities.

I admire your confidence in mistakes not being made again, but I sincerely doubt that will be the case, although I hope it will. Have you read any Jared Diamond, by the way?

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

last animal standing? on 20:39 - Sep 30 with 1110 viewsHollowayRanger

Globally, habitat loss and hunting have reduced tigers from 100,000 a century ago to just 3,000.

so nothing to do with mankind?

look at the dodo The extinction of the dodo within less than a century of its discovery called attention to the previously unrecognised problem of human involvement in the disappearance of entire species.

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

last animal standing? on 20:50 - Sep 30 with 1097 viewsMonahoop

And don't forget the Great Auk and the Passenger Pigeon, the latter being perhaps the the most populous bird in the 19th Century, flocks of these birds would darken the skies so it was said. They were literally blasted out of the skies over their native USA over a 40-50 year period. The last one, Martha died in a zoo in 1913.

Hardly nature giving a helping hand to species destruction.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

last animal standing? on 20:55 - Sep 30 with 1088 viewsHollowayRanger

like said im glad I wont be here in a hundred years

as we continue to breed and breed

fossile fuels running out
droughts increasing
amazon forests destroyed
seas running out of fish
food shortages
shortage of living space

its not a great future to look forward to

Listen to the band play!

last animal standing? on 21:27 - Sep 30 with 1063 viewsCiderwithRsie

Um.

Find myself in complete agreement with Holloway.

Time for a lie down.

We are technically in the middle of a mass extinction event. There have been previous ones. All the others can be tied in to particular events or changes on the planet - little things like meteor strikes. This one ties in with the industrial revolution and associated rise in human population, and nothing else. It's not just one of those things. Its us.
Login to get fewer ads

last animal standing? on 21:39 - Sep 30 with 1055 viewsEalingRanger

This is absolute nonsense. How old are you? Because I'm twenty and it will be my generation and our kids who have to clean up the complete and utter mess your (if you're as old as I think you are) generation has made of this planet.
last animal standing? on 21:42 - Sep 30 with 1053 viewsPeterHucker

last animal standing? on 20:55 - Sep 30 by HollowayRanger

droughts increasing
amazon forests destroyed
seas running out of fish
food shortages
shortage of living space

If you're so worried about all the breeding, stop spunking for the lesbian dollar.
last animal standing? on 21:51 - Sep 30 with 1044 viewsTacticalR

last animal standing? on 21:42 - Sep 30 by PeterHucker

If you're so worried about all the breeding, stop spunking for the lesbian dollar.

You can never have too many of the right sort.

Air hostess clique

last animal standing? on 22:20 - Sep 30 with 1024 viewsBromleyHoop

last animal standing? on 11:04 - Sep 30 by Discodroids

unfortunately not ducks or swans if the eastern european 'migrants' in my local paper have anything to do with it.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/11503161.TfL_promises_action_over_illegal_

"within two weeks of moving in"..'disappeared'

why cant they just go round the back of icelands skip like any other self respecting traveller of the continents in my area??
[Post edited 30 Sep 2014 11:10]

It is quite incredible how you manage to spout off your zenophobic tosh even on a thread about the decline in animal species. Cant you go back to supporting West Ham please.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

last animal standing? on 22:26 - Sep 30 with 1014 viewsloftboy

Wasn't there a film made where the earth was in collision with the sun and they managed to find an identical planet in another galaxy and selected a cross section of humans to travel there and continue the human race?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

last animal standing? on 23:28 - Sep 30 with 970 viewsessextaxiboy

last animal standing? on 22:20 - Sep 30 by BromleyHoop

It is quite incredible how you manage to spout off your zenophobic tosh even on a thread about the decline in animal species. Cant you go back to supporting West Ham please.

I can take you to a fishing lake in Brentwood where the Eastern Europeans happily catch a few Bream Roach and Carp , and sit in a circle of at least 20 in the bushes and barbeque them . The cormorants dont get a look in

I always throw mine back .
last animal standing? on 00:28 - Oct 1 with 949 viewsHollowayRanger

last animal standing? on 23:28 - Sep 30 by essextaxiboy

I can take you to a fishing lake in Brentwood where the Eastern Europeans happily catch a few Bream Roach and Carp , and sit in a circle of at least 20 in the bushes and barbeque them . The cormorants dont get a look in

I always throw mine back .

our local swans went missing .well apart from their hacked off wings

as for me lesbo's I do it for free ,as im trying to save the world one of them babies will be a genius don't you know!

Listen to the band play!

last animal standing? on 09:30 - Oct 1 with 910 viewsTheBlob

last animal standing? on 21:39 - Sep 30 by EalingRanger

This is absolute nonsense. How old are you? Because I'm twenty and it will be my generation and our kids who have to clean up the complete and utter mess your (if you're as old as I think you are) generation has made of this planet.

My generation as you put it were aghast when the population went past 2 billion.Don't have a pop at me,it's your lot that can't keep it in your trousers asuming spotty students like you are deemed attractive by the opposite sex.
But yes,to our eternal shame my "generation" produced idiots like you.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 9:36]

last animal standing? on 09:34 - Oct 1 with 897 viewsDiscodroids

last animal standing? on 22:20 - Sep 30 by BromleyHoop

"So many times
I know I should have told you
Losing you it cut like a knife
You walked out and there went my life
I don't want to live without you
On my own
On my own
On my own".......

aww baby , still cant quite put me back on ignore, hope you enjoyed 'our song' in the going forward thread my dear sweet patti labelle!!

unrequited love, such a bitch!!

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

last animal standing? on 09:41 - Oct 1 with 889 viewsToast_R

Unfortunately the human race is cursed by one single emotion which has bugged us our entire existence... "Greed, Greed and more f*cking Greed"
last animal standing? on 09:42 - Oct 1 with 888 viewsTheBlob

last animal standing? on 22:26 - Sep 30 by loftboy

Wasn't there a film made where the earth was in collision with the sun and they managed to find an identical planet in another galaxy and selected a cross section of humans to travel there and continue the human race?

This one?

last animal standing? on 09:46 - Oct 1 with 884 viewsTheBlob

last animal standing? on 09:41 - Oct 1 by Toast_R

Unfortunately the human race is cursed by one single emotion which has bugged us our entire existence... "Greed, Greed and more f*cking Greed"

......and procreation,mindless procreation.
The eminent scientist and author Isaac Asimov once told me (his theory)that if the human race continues to expand exponentially in ten thousand years the mass of human flesh could equal the mass of the entire universe -"we" have that kind of ability.

I told him he was a kunt.

last animal standing? on 09:51 - Oct 1 with 879 viewsloftboy

last animal standing? on 09:42 - Oct 1 by TheBlob

This one?

That's the one

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

last animal standing? on 12:17 - Oct 1 with 841 viewsTheBlob

last animal standing? on 13:18 - Sep 30 by R_from_afar

Now Mr Blob, you are certainly correct that nature does indeed kill species, but in this case, the vast majority of the species in question are being wiped out by human activities.

I admire your confidence in mistakes not being made again, but I sincerely doubt that will be the case, although I hope it will. Have you read any Jared Diamond, by the way?

RFA

It's good polymath stuff.
Have you read Isaac Asimov?One of the great brains of the 20th Century.

[In response to this question by Bill Moyers: What do you see happening to the idea of dignity to human species if this population growth continues at its present rate?] "It's going to destroy it all... if you have 20 people in the apartment and two bathrooms, no matter how much every person believes in freedom of the bathroom, there is no such thing. You have to set up times for each person, you have to bang at the door, aren't you through yet, and so on. And in the same way, democracy cannot survive overpopulation. Human dignity cannot survive it. Convenience and decency cannot survive it. As you put more and more people onto the world, the value of life not only declines, but it disappears"
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 12:31]

last animal standing? on 13:32 - Oct 1 with 817 viewsR_from_afar

last animal standing? on 20:55 - Sep 30 by HollowayRanger

droughts increasing
amazon forests destroyed
seas running out of fish
food shortages
shortage of living space

"Fossil fuels running out” need not be an issue according to Stanford University. They calculate we can power the world with alternative energy.
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/january/jacobson-world-energy-012611.html

Re. population, the latest research states that the population will not level out at 9 million but will continue to climb to 11 million by 2100! Careful what you do with those sperm everyone!

Droughts are increasing and rainfall patterns are changing, due to climate change and also deforestation, because forests play a big part in driving the rain cycle.

“Amazon forests destroyed”: We can all do something about this by not buying hardwood unless it is sustainably sourced. Look for the FSC logo. Cocaine production is another cause of deforestation in rainforests, so….

“Seas running out of fish”: Some of this is due to overfishing, some of it due to the vast amounts of carbon dioxide we create (it is making the seas too acidic, affecting the development of the tiny creatures at the bottom of the marine food chain). We can take action by only eating sustainably source fish (one logo to look for is the Marine Stewardship Council one). Reducing one's carbon footprint will also help.

In many cases, our governments are in thrall to big business and/or wedded to dangerously outdated ideas and will not take the necessary action to secure mankind’s future. We can make a difference by our own actions, though. Whether it will be enough remains to be seen, but we need to at least try.

Oh, and by the way, the UK's "green" economy is growing faster than the economy as a whole, so there are economic benefits to "being green".

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024