Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. 10:03 - Oct 1 with 28493 viewsDiscodroids

dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch ..east ham granada 1965...supplied them french blues and purple hearts. titch fell off stage as a result

alexander oneal 1987 hammersmith odeon, he took me by the hand and led me to a four poster during, "if you were here tonight'.magical.

phil fearon and galaxy ..central park east ham 1985.....pulled some fast moves to 'dancin' tight'.had my picture taken with tom baker for newham recorder.'good food costs less at sainsburys' so he tells me.

jimmy hendrix @ montery 1967, i lent him me zippo for the grand finale.still havent got it back.

skrewdriver @ poulten, lancs 1980.jaunty ethnic cleansing group.played along to the big family number 'free my land with blood and honor' on the spoons.

rolling stones @altamont 1969. i was responsible for security.still got a lovely blood splatterd leather jacket indoors with a skull and cross bones on it.

joy division electric circus @manchester 1977. lead singer a bit long in the boat.told him a few one liners .didnt help much it seems.

talking heads los angeles@1984. psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est ??.thats all very well, but the suit is still to fuc king tight.

Rusty Egan/spandau ballet at the Blitz @COVENT GARDEN 1979.....To cut a long story short i lost my mind after seeing Kirk brandon commit the 'original sin' with boy george in trap 3.

pattil labelle/ micheal mcdonald@wembley arena 185, with bromley hoop..we had it all god damn it...

it was a mess of good years.

in all seriousness orbitol, alexander palace NYE @1996, kraftwerk , luton hoo @1997
nirvana ,reading @1992, the cure , wembley arena @1991.. suede , brixton acdamy @1992. tom tom club , electric ballroom @1998 ish.

shat myself at the public enemy gig brixton acadmy @1989.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 10:30]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:23 - Oct 1 with 2946 viewseastside_r

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:21 - Oct 1 by Monahoop

Interesting list there Blob especially on the blues front. Would loved to have seen some of those old blues masters ie Howlin Wolf. Peter Green was a huge disappointment when I saw him in 1983 in Dublin. He broke down on stage more than once, his guitar was out of tune, but his fans still applauded him. I just thought WTF is all the fuss about this bloke being a guitar genius, then it dawned on me he was f***ed up in his head through too much bad acid in the 60's. Like Hendrix, I was told when on top of his game, he was the tops live, otherwise his playing was a mess as it was that night I saw him. The next night I saw Desmond Dekker and the Aces. Hardly anyone in the audience, but he was brilliant. Old, out of style, but in tune with the moon, unlike old Green.

Forgot to mention earlier. Curtis Mayfield at Crystal Palace in 1983. Superb!

Good. Not just me then. I saw Desmond Dekker a few times and he was an amazing performer. Probably the best would have been the International Ska Festival [sic] circa 1987 possibly 1988 at the Astoria.

Edwin Starr, again details a little hazy, would have been late 80s. A lot of energy for a big, big man.

Nina Simone, truly mesmerising Albert Hall 1999 (?), her last UK tour anyhow.

Sadly, none of the above are still with us (including the Astoria.)
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 22:26]
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:31 - Oct 1 with 2937 viewsPunteR

Don't really do gigs. Oasis at knebworth was pretty good.Manics,Charlatans, some one hit wonder band called Kula shaker.
Saw the beastie Boys at Wembley.
Bands I'd like to see is, Foo fighters, prodigy, kasabian,Muse.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:43 - Oct 1 with 2926 viewsTacticalR

Elvis Costello + Squeeze, benefit gig for Johnny Owen, Top Rank, Swansea, 1980
Suede, Colosseum, Watford, 1995
Buena Vista Social Club, London, must have been around 2000 as Compay Segundo was still in the group (even though he was in his 90s) and he died in 2003

Air hostess clique

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:47 - Oct 1 with 2916 viewsTheBlob

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:17 - Oct 1 by ted_hendrix

Strangely enough I saw Peter Green a fair few years ago in Basingstoke along with John Mayall, it was another come back gig and tbh Greeno looked like he didn't want to be there, he was half a second behind the rest of the band but soldiered on, his fans (me included) were happy enough just to be in the audience though.
I met him afterwards in the foyer for one of those signing things,I just said thanks shook his hand and he signed my ticket, he did look awkward though as if he just wanted to be left in peace.
Of course when he was playing with the Proper Fleetwood Mac in the 60's his guitar work and his out of phase wired Les Paul were legendary, for example put a pair of cans on and listen to "Need You're Love So Bad" It don't get much better.
Bit of a waffle but they're you go.

Yeah that's right,that Les Paul '59 dirty lemon of Greenys was a bit different.
We went to see John Mayall one night and Greeny turns up with the neck pickup missing and we thought it was to reduce the volume because there had been complaints.So he puts it back the wrong way,gets a unique sound,later "gives" it to Gary Moore who makes the album Blues for Greeny.
Gets bought by a Chicago guitar collector who has a pang of conscience and sends it back to England under the care of some pub band musician - strange old story.Anyway it's worth over a million quid now.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:55 - Oct 1 with 2903 viewsSterlingArcher

Fair play to anyone putting Michael Jackson and Simply Red as they're
favourite gig ?! The worlds a strange f**king place ! Nice to see some 60's memories from our 'veteran' support where the music scene escaped
from the dance hall and bubble gum pop of the late 50's and early 60's.
Quite a few mentions of shit bands and people trying to sound trendy.
Rather than a full on gig I tend to remember gigs for a particular
incident or memorable moment. Water being accidently spilt on the
floor, but used as a slide during a Dean Dirg gig in front of 80 people in
a Guildford Youth Centre. The chorus of a Drop Kick Murphies song being
perfectly sung you'd of thought the Angels from heaven themselves were
singing or the opening bars of a Norwegian glam/death/metal/punk band
being played for the first time in 5 years after a hiatus/sabatical.
But the outstanding moment was when the QPR tannoy played 'Swords
of a thousand Men' after this website asked for suggestions for a pre-
match anthem.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:58 - Oct 1 with 2897 viewsFearless

Ray Charles & Van Morrison together at Wembley arena 1996
Many Ray Davies gigs
Edwin Collins comeback tour at southbank ( after all he'd been through)
Bobby Womack hammersmith 84-ish
The wall wembley last year (although the previous O2 one had Nick mason and David Gilmore playing too) but the sound at Wembley was probably the best I've heard
Paul weller at RAH - wildwood era

Raspberry blonde
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 23:03]
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:59 - Oct 1 with 2895 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Moore really lost credibility when the guitar that was so wonderful and precious that he wasn't worthy to own etc. was sold to pay some bills.

I believe Kirk Hammett has just bought it, to play and not to Just keep in an air conditioned, temperature controlled vault.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:11 - Oct 1 with 2880 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great thread. Really enjoying all the tales.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:15 - Oct 1 with 2874 viewsE17hoop

Top 3 in no particular order:
Pantera, T&C, 93.
Came out to A New Level and the place went mental.

Faith No More, Brixton, 2009
Reunion show and Download warm up. Still great live.

Prodigy, Island in Ilford, 95.
Always good entertainment, they were on fire for this one.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:18 - Oct 1 with 2870 viewsCiderwithRsie

Funnily enough, some of the best gigs I've been at weren't by great bands as such. Katrina and The Waves at the Mean Fiddler were fantastic.

Probably my best gig was Hawkwind some time in the mid-80s - possibly at The Rainbow? definitely a non-seater venue - with Nik Turner, Lemmy and Bob Calvert all turning up. I heard after that Turner and Calvert were only down to do a warm up song but decided they liked it and stayed for the whole gig. IIRC Calvert did try to strangle one of the other band members part way through, mind. Or did I imagine that?

Plus I got off with this blonde girl in front of me in the crowd a ta time when yo didn't find many girls at heavy metal gigs.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:50 - Oct 1 with 2857 viewseastside_r

Always amazed to see how many on here into Heavy Metal / Rock. Has no-one ever seen Spinal Tap?

I assume that this is down to a highly-honed level of irony , which also includes 'following' a terrible football team.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 07:46 - Oct 2 with 2819 viewsterryb

Paul Simon - Trap Door Folk Club, Chesham circa 1963
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:28 - Oct 2 with 2794 viewsTheBlob

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:59 - Oct 1 by WrightUp5hit___

Moore really lost credibility when the guitar that was so wonderful and precious that he wasn't worthy to own etc. was sold to pay some bills.

I believe Kirk Hammett has just bought it, to play and not to Just keep in an air conditioned, temperature controlled vault.

Yes it's good to see it being played on the odd occasion,as it should be,but at those prices the insurance premiums are horrendous.Better than being locked away permanently as you say.Bernie Marsden recently lent out his '59 ("The Beast") to Joe Bonamassa.Steve Lukather sometimes gigs his.They're becoming like classic cars now,just have the odd airing.
Not many "barn finds" left except the Mike Bloomfield one still out there somewhere.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:33 - Oct 2 with 2785 viewsCiderwithRsie

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:50 - Oct 1 by eastside_r

Always amazed to see how many on here into Heavy Metal / Rock. Has no-one ever seen Spinal Tap?

I assume that this is down to a highly-honed level of irony , which also includes 'following' a terrible football team.

Mind what you say. There's a lot of Irony Maiden fans on here.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:35 - Oct 2 with 2782 viewsElHoop

It's so difficult to say which was the best one. If you had said to me twelve months ago that I'd have seen Metallica and Kate Bush this year, I'd have sent you off to the funny farm. All music is good if it's done well, it's just down to what you like best. A great setlist is pretty darned important. I've seen people like Prince and Amy Winehouse and you can't ever forget those gigs. I wouldn't want to pick just one. Even half a dozen isn't enough. Someone mentioned Ronnie Lane - saw him do a Radio 1 'In Concert' and he was really good. The Jam were great. It's hard to think of a really shite gig to be honest.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:40 - Oct 2 with 2778 viewsTheBlob

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:33 - Oct 2 by CiderwithRsie

Mind what you say. There's a lot of Irony Maiden fans on here.

That's the wonderful thing about this board,people can take the piss out of musicians who can actually play live and then big up crap like Madness and some regurgitated pap like Frankie Knuckles.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:47 - Oct 2 with 2772 viewsFearless

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:35 - Oct 2 by ElHoop

It's so difficult to say which was the best one. If you had said to me twelve months ago that I'd have seen Metallica and Kate Bush this year, I'd have sent you off to the funny farm. All music is good if it's done well, it's just down to what you like best. A great setlist is pretty darned important. I've seen people like Prince and Amy Winehouse and you can't ever forget those gigs. I wouldn't want to pick just one. Even half a dozen isn't enough. Someone mentioned Ronnie Lane - saw him do a Radio 1 'In Concert' and he was really good. The Jam were great. It's hard to think of a really shite gig to be honest.

Interested in your thoughts on kate bush

I thought it had moments of musical brilliance, a huge dose of the emperors new clothes and some dreadful am-dram mixed with great theatricals - more a 6/10 from me than the 10/10 widely reported

(Joan Baez the week before at RFH was surprisingly good :)
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:54 - Oct 2 with 2764 viewsElHoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:47 - Oct 2 by Fearless

Interested in your thoughts on kate bush

I thought it had moments of musical brilliance, a huge dose of the emperors new clothes and some dreadful am-dram mixed with great theatricals - more a 6/10 from me than the 10/10 widely reported

(Joan Baez the week before at RFH was surprisingly good :)

It was weird because i only got the ticket on the morning of the gig and I went on my own which I'm not used to doing. It wasn't really a 'gig' was it? More of a musical theatre production. I thought that she was brilliant - her voice is still fantastic. If you separate her from the show then it's hard to knock her. The show itself went on a bit in the second half. I think that it could have been a bit shorter but clearly she wanted to perform the whole piece. Whether the whole of it was strong enough to perform live, I would doubt, but I wasn't that familiar with it as i hadn't time to do any homework. She was very very good and i'm glad that I went, but the show could have been a bit better in my view.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 09:40 - Oct 2 with 2732 viewsLoft1979

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:49 - Oct 1 by Mark1

The Clash Hammersmith Palais

nuff said!
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 09:50 - Oct 2 with 2718 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Great thread but as you only asked for one it would probably be New Order at the Futurama festival.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 10:01 - Oct 2 with 2712 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Been to some belters over the years, mostly with Metallica_Hoop.

First ever gig was Napalm Death & Entombed at the Marquee '94.

Best ever gig for me personally has to be Slayer/Sleep/The Melvins at Alexandra Palace 2012... Only thing missing that day to have made it absolutely perfect was Jeff Hanneman RIP who at the time was still unwell from the flesh eating disease.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 10:33 - Oct 2 with 2700 viewseastside_r

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:40 - Oct 2 by TheBlob

That's the wonderful thing about this board,people can take the piss out of musicians who can actually play live and then big up crap like Madness and some regurgitated pap like Frankie Knuckles.

Are you really suggesting that Madness can't play their instruments.

Shocking ignorance.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 11:28 - Oct 2 with 2679 viewsqpr1976

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:58 - Oct 1 by smegma

When i talked to God I thought he'd understand, he said 'stick by me, I'll be your guiding hand!'

Lyrics lifted entirely by our own Mick Jones about 5 years ago.

Ahhhh, Carbon Silicon, 'Why Do Men Fight', they seem to be on hold while Jonesy plays with the Rotten Hill Gang. Shame

Quite good live too.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 11:33 - Oct 2 with 2676 viewsJeff

Radiohead, South Park 2001. when it started raining after Paranoid Android's 'Rain Down...' refrain and when they played 'Creep' for the first time in half a decade was amazing...

Can we not knock it?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:03 - Oct 2 with 2659 viewsDiscodroids

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:15 - Oct 1 by E17hoop

Top 3 in no particular order:
Pantera, T&C, 93.
Came out to A New Level and the place went mental.

Faith No More, Brixton, 2009
Reunion show and Download warm up. Still great live.

Prodigy, Island in Ilford, 95.
Always good entertainment, they were on fire for this one.

the island ilford !!! i ran a night there may years ago called 'supersonic' with my mate ian punter..1996/7.

it was a mess of good years.

i think its an upmarket indian resturant now with an asian cinema round the back.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2014 12:05]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024