Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. 10:03 - Oct 1 with 28358 viewsDiscodroids

dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch ..east ham granada 1965...supplied them french blues and purple hearts. titch fell off stage as a result

alexander oneal 1987 hammersmith odeon, he took me by the hand and led me to a four poster during, "if you were here tonight'.magical.

phil fearon and galaxy ..central park east ham 1985.....pulled some fast moves to 'dancin' tight'.had my picture taken with tom baker for newham recorder.'good food costs less at sainsburys' so he tells me.

jimmy hendrix @ montery 1967, i lent him me zippo for the grand finale.still havent got it back.

skrewdriver @ poulten, lancs 1980.jaunty ethnic cleansing group.played along to the big family number 'free my land with blood and honor' on the spoons.

rolling stones @altamont 1969. i was responsible for security.still got a lovely blood splatterd leather jacket indoors with a skull and cross bones on it.

joy division electric circus @manchester 1977. lead singer a bit long in the boat.told him a few one liners .didnt help much it seems.

talking heads los angeles@1984. psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est ??.thats all very well, but the suit is still to fuc king tight.

Rusty Egan/spandau ballet at the Blitz @COVENT GARDEN 1979.....To cut a long story short i lost my mind after seeing Kirk brandon commit the 'original sin' with boy george in trap 3.

pattil labelle/ micheal mcdonald@wembley arena 185, with bromley hoop..we had it all god damn it...

it was a mess of good years.

in all seriousness orbitol, alexander palace NYE @1996, kraftwerk , luton hoo @1997
nirvana ,reading @1992, the cure , wembley arena @1991.. suede , brixton acdamy @1992. tom tom club , electric ballroom @1998 ish.

shat myself at the public enemy gig brixton acadmy @1989.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 10:30]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:15 - Oct 2 with 3192 viewsR_from_afar

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:56 - Oct 1 by BostonR

Not sure what tour it was but it was an incredible show. They introduced some amazing guitar work which appeared on a film called Thief starring James Caan - listen to the final track on that album!

The show was almost 3hrs long.

Thanks, am just listening to it now.

“Green Desert” is worth checking out if you don’t know it. TD recorded it in 1973 but it wasn’t released until 1986, as part of a box set. The title track, below, is a cracker.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:37 - Oct 2 with 3169 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:15 - Oct 2 by R_from_afar

Thanks, am just listening to it now.

“Green Desert” is worth checking out if you don’t know it. TD recorded it in 1973 but it wasn’t released until 1986, as part of a box set. The title track, below, is a cracker.

RFA

Got hooked onto TD after watching a film called The Keep which they did the soundtrack for. Michael Mann directed it I believe, with Ian McKellen and Gabrield Byrne starring.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:26 - Oct 2 with 3147 viewsStanisgod

Quo - Kursaal Sarfend '72

Bowie - Earls Court '73

Slade - Kursaal '74

U.F.O - Kursaal '76

Police - Tooting Bec '80

Quo - Milton Keynes Bowl '74

Purple/Gillan - Brixton Academy '93

Michael Jackson - Wembley '84

Quo - Hammersmith 2013

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:39 - Oct 2 with 3132 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:40 - Oct 2 by TheBlob

That's the wonderful thing about this board,people can take the piss out of musicians who can actually play live and then big up crap like Madness and some regurgitated pap like Frankie Knuckles.

You have a real bee in your bonnet about that Frankie thread don't you mate.
Up to nearly 1k posts on it now. Seems quite a few people like 'regurgitated pap' then eh?
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:49 - Oct 2 with 3125 viewsTheBlob

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:39 - Oct 2 by CroydonCaptJack

You have a real bee in your bonnet about that Frankie thread don't you mate.
Up to nearly 1k posts on it now. Seems quite a few people like 'regurgitated pap' then eh?

Except it's the same half dozen people on it.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:49 - Oct 2 with 3089 viewsrunningman75

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:49 - Oct 2 by TheBlob

http://www.fatreg.com/picsantiheroin/CPalace.html

1985 Crystal palace, anti heroin gig .Drinking cider as a 15 year old at this anti heroin gig. Highlight of the day was Hawkwind at the end with a lot of the audience looking like they had taking drugs for the last 20 years and a guy coming on stage with a purple dress dancing. Many people also dancing in the water which was between the performers and audience.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:50 - Oct 2 with 3061 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:49 - Oct 2 by TheBlob

There is least eight of us I'll have you know!!
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:21 - Oct 2 with 3046 viewscyprusmel

Chuck Berry @ Dunstable
The Who & Yardbirds @ Richmond Jazz and Blues Festival in the 60,s
Login to get fewer ads

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:45 - Oct 2 with 3036 viewsbrewers_hoop

Very jealous of all these brilliant gigs you lot went to in the 60s & 70s - just missed out!

The Cramps - Hammersmith Palais/Astoria
U2, Ramones, Spear of Destiny, REM & Billy Bragg MK Bowl - 1986
Ramones - Newcastle somewhere 1985
Motörhead - Cambridge Corn Exchange 1989
Nirvana - Reading 1992?
White Stripes - Sheffield Leadmill - 2001
Pistols - Finsbury Park 1996 (too young to see them in 76 more's the pity)
Arctic Monkeys - Astoria 2005
Meteors - George Robey - plus various Klub Foot nights at the Clarendon, Hammersmith
Caravan - Shep Bush Empire?
Bowie, Stones, Lee Scratch Perry, Love, Orbital and lots more at Glastonbury over the years
Bentley Rhythm Ace & Lo Fidelity Allstars - Astoria
Dishcarge, Exploited & Anti-Pasti - Apocalypse Now tour somewhere- 1982ish
Libertines underneath some pub in Camden
Amy Winehouse/Madness - Dublin Castle, Camden
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:50 - Oct 2 with 3032 viewssimmo

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:45 - Oct 2 by brewers_hoop

Very jealous of all these brilliant gigs you lot went to in the 60s & 70s - just missed out!

Nirvana - Reading 1992?
Meteors - George Robey - plus various Klub Foot nights at the Clarendon, Hammersmith
Bowie, Stones, Lee Scratch Perry, Love, Orbital and lots more at Glastonbury over the years

Bet that was quality

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:58 - Oct 2 with 3030 viewsbrewers_hoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:50 - Oct 2 by simmo

Bet that was quality

It was brilliant. Tour had sold out in London so me and a mate got tickets for Leadmill and booked a ropey twin room for 50 quid. He's a musician (former Meteors drummer) and said he couldn't get over how that sound could be created by just two people with a drum kit and guitar. The venue was so tight it felt like they were on top of you - when we came out I said to him that's gotta be in my top 3 gigs of all time and not changed my mind.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:27 - Oct 2 with 3019 viewsmendipexile

The Jam anytime personal fave The Rainbow
Jimmy Smith Mean Fiddler 1986 ish
The Prisoners Hammersmith 1985
Oasis Forum Kentish Town 1994
Ocean Colour Scene Electric Ballroom Camden 1995
Manic Street Preachers Shepherds Bush Empire 1996
Edwin Star Isle of Wight 1998
Billy Bragg Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival 2000 (cos I got to meet him and cos Ian McLagan was playing keyboards for him and I met him too....meeting one of the Small Faces....could not believe it......both top blokes as well)...
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 19:45 - Oct 2 with 2994 viewsTheBlob

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:50 - Oct 2 by CroydonCaptJack

There is least eight of us I'll have you know!!

All right calm down,you win.
I'm lucky I didn't get smitten by thy mighty light sabre.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:40 - Oct 2 with 2965 viewsdanehoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:45 - Oct 2 by brewers_hoop

Nirvana - Reading 1992?

I was at the US, Ramones, Spear of Destiny, REM, Billy Bragg and the Faith Brothers at MK on the Longest Day Tour.

Amazingly good concert. Started off at the front of the stage for the Ramones and ended up 100 yards away by the end of the first track (I think Rock and Roll Radio).

Used to Steward at Wembley Arena and Wembley Stadium in the early/mid 80's and saw lots of good stiff then, including backstage at Live Aid. U2 far too many times to be serious, but best was when I paid for the Zooropa Tour at Wembley when they just nailed it. Also saw an interesting young Australian band support Queen at Wembley called INXS and there just fantastic just when they had released Kick.

Saw All About Eve at Kentish Town and they were another very good band to watch.

Style Council at Wembley Arena were very good, (got told off for dancing in the isles whilst stewarding that one. Probably topped by Kevin Rowland and Dexy's Midnight Runners at the Shaftesbury Theatre, they had just gone all gyspsy look at the time but were still playing the classic DMR numbers as well.

Saw Nirvana at Tivoli in Ljubljana in one of the final gigs before Cobain topped himself and they were incredible.
Also saw Depeche Mode at Falconer Hallen in Copenhagen and they were the absolute nuts live. I was meant to see dEUS play there a couple of years ago but the gig was sold out in 10 minutes. I see they are playing in London in December and may go along to that one as they are probably one of the most underated bands that I have ever seen.

Never knowingly understood

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:14 - Oct 2 with 2942 viewsE17hoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:03 - Oct 2 by Discodroids

the island ilford !!! i ran a night there may years ago called 'supersonic' with my mate ian punter..1996/7.

it was a mess of good years.

i think its an upmarket indian resturant now with an asian cinema round the back.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2014 12:05]

Cracking venue - small enough to be intimate but big enough to take a de=cent crowd.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:35 - Oct 2 with 2930 viewsTacticalR

Please, no more mention of Billy Bragg, as it always upsets SoG.

Air hostess clique

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:42 - Oct 2 with 2926 viewsDylanP

Stiff Little Finger -- The Rainbow about 1977 or 78, not sure. Changed my life. i saw them again a couple of weeks ago in Baltimore and they are still great.

Carlos Santana at the Sultan's Pool (a 2,000 year old Roman Ampitheatre in Jerusalem) 1986. The gig was so good that I honestly thought that world peace was inevitable after that.

Sharon Lewis and the Texas Fire, Kingston Mines, Chicago, last Sunday.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:53 - Oct 2 with 2922 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 23:42 - Oct 2 by DylanP

Stiff Little Finger -- The Rainbow about 1977 or 78, not sure. Changed my life. i saw them again a couple of weeks ago in Baltimore and they are still great.

Carlos Santana at the Sultan's Pool (a 2,000 year old Roman Ampitheatre in Jerusalem) 1986. The gig was so good that I honestly thought that world peace was inevitable after that.

Sharon Lewis and the Texas Fire, Kingston Mines, Chicago, last Sunday.

Yes I reckon I was at that SLF gig. I had to add Inflammable material to my top album list earlier today as I had criminally left it off.
I saw The Cure support Siouxsie and the Banshees quite a few times around then. I used to love those punk concerts where you would often hear a load of dub reggae before and between acts. I remember the Undertones at the Palais doing about ten encores. I don't think they wanted to go home!
I saw new order countless times along with a few early Blancmange gigs when there were only about fifty people there. Brilliant times.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2014 7:13]
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 03:00 - Oct 3 with 2903 viewsSonofNorfolt

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:58 - Oct 1 by Fearless

Ray Charles & Van Morrison together at Wembley arena 1996
Many Ray Davies gigs
Edwin Collins comeback tour at southbank ( after all he'd been through)
Bobby Womack hammersmith 84-ish
The wall wembley last year (although the previous O2 one had Nick mason and David Gilmore playing too) but the sound at Wembley was probably the best I've heard
Paul weller at RAH - wildwood era

Raspberry blonde
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 23:03]

Glad I trawled through this just to even get a tongue in cheek mention!
(Ian, we played Moon Dance in the six song encore)

The best Floyd/Waters gig I saw was the Radio Kaos tour, late '87 at Wembley 50 metres pool.

Surprisingly no one has mentioned Thin Lizzy, in their heyday, as good as you get live.

One's memory gets clouded, but stand outs for me include Rush's residency at Hammersmith in both '79 and '80 on the Hemispheres and then Permanent Waves tours.

Reading Rock '80, my first festival, being particulary impressed by the Pat Travers Band, Budgie and then Slade, having it, a gig that sparked their comeback.

A time and a place, both Big Country and U2 at Hammersmith about three years later.

Even, Bryan Adams 'Reckless' show, Wembley '87, was pretty damn good, I laugh to myself now, but it was, or Aerosmith's Pump comeback at the same venue a couple of years later when Jimmy Page came on.

Much of the Nineties seemed to pass me by, so fast forward to more recent impressions, Muse at Reading 2006, with the Arctic Monkeys on beforehand (VIP courtesy of 100%) My Morning Jacket at Astoria 2, Electric Six at three in the morning at Billingsgate Market, (Rangers drew 2-2 at Colchester that day) with Polish Paul, gighopper supreme, Nearly Dan at the Bush Hall for my wedding, Chickenfoot at the SB Empire playing Purple's 'Highway Star', The Rakes at Electric Gardens Kent, with my brother, Harlesden, Sharpy et al, Kraftwerk at Exit Fest in Serbia, and best of all the Foo Fighters at the Roundhouse iTunes gigs, giving as good as they can.
Hopefully I'll see the Manic's playing 'The Holy Bible' at the same venue before Xmas and will enjoy it as much, although it won't have the same feeling as twenty years previous.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:13 - Oct 3 with 2883 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:27 - Oct 2 by mendipexile

The Jam anytime personal fave The Rainbow
Jimmy Smith Mean Fiddler 1986 ish
The Prisoners Hammersmith 1985
Oasis Forum Kentish Town 1994
Ocean Colour Scene Electric Ballroom Camden 1995
Manic Street Preachers Shepherds Bush Empire 1996
Edwin Star Isle of Wight 1998
Billy Bragg Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival 2000 (cos I got to meet him and cos Ian McLagan was playing keyboards for him and I met him too....meeting one of the Small Faces....could not believe it......both top blokes as well)...

"Jimmy Smith Mean Fiddler 1986ish"

Jimmy Smith '86 tour - clearly better in Harlesden than in Wembley!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:29 - Oct 3 with 2839 viewsDiscodroids

what a great thread reading through the stories... although i am surprised no one has claimed to be at the first sex pistols gig @free trade hall manchester 1976.

legend has it there was 30,000 there!!.

fk the politics...lets dance.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:15 - Oct 3 with 2801 viewsHantsR

Just remembered - Geno Washington at The Ram Jam Club in Brixton. He was God there!

I think about 1967 ...
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:29 - Oct 3 with 2792 viewsW12SG2

Best I went to - Trouble Funk at the Town & Country Club, July '87

Best I never went to - The Jam on their last tour. 13 at the time, begged & pleaded but my mum wouldn't let me go. Still hurts, still resentful.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:58 - Oct 3 with 2767 viewsDiscodroids

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:29 - Oct 3 by W12SG2

Best I went to - Trouble Funk at the Town & Country Club, July '87

Best I never went to - The Jam on their last tour. 13 at the time, begged & pleaded but my mum wouldn't let me go. Still hurts, still resentful.

mate i was at that trouble funk gig..got the t shit still..when i look at it now i couldnt imagine ever fitting into it..

brett anderson on ryvita couldnt get it on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
[Post edited 3 Oct 2014 17:06]

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:22 - Oct 3 with 2758 viewsTheBlob

Wrong thread.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2014 17:23]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024