Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. 10:03 - Oct 1 with 28540 viewsDiscodroids

dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch ..east ham granada 1965...supplied them french blues and purple hearts. titch fell off stage as a result

alexander oneal 1987 hammersmith odeon, he took me by the hand and led me to a four poster during, "if you were here tonight'.magical.

phil fearon and galaxy ..central park east ham 1985.....pulled some fast moves to 'dancin' tight'.had my picture taken with tom baker for newham recorder.'good food costs less at sainsburys' so he tells me.

jimmy hendrix @ montery 1967, i lent him me zippo for the grand finale.still havent got it back.

skrewdriver @ poulten, lancs 1980.jaunty ethnic cleansing group.played along to the big family number 'free my land with blood and honor' on the spoons.

rolling stones @altamont 1969. i was responsible for security.still got a lovely blood splatterd leather jacket indoors with a skull and cross bones on it.

joy division electric circus @manchester 1977. lead singer a bit long in the boat.told him a few one liners .didnt help much it seems.

talking heads los angeles@1984. psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est ??.thats all very well, but the suit is still to fuc king tight.

Rusty Egan/spandau ballet at the Blitz @COVENT GARDEN 1979.....To cut a long story short i lost my mind after seeing Kirk brandon commit the 'original sin' with boy george in trap 3.

pattil labelle/ micheal mcdonald@wembley arena 185, with bromley hoop..we had it all god damn it...

it was a mess of good years.

in all seriousness orbitol, alexander palace NYE @1996, kraftwerk , luton hoo @1997
nirvana ,reading @1992, the cure , wembley arena @1991.. suede , brixton acdamy @1992. tom tom club , electric ballroom @1998 ish.

shat myself at the public enemy gig brixton acadmy @1989.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 10:30]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:22 - Oct 3 with 3447 viewsDiscodroids

just spoke to the old man..he reckons this , jury lane mid seventies

magic

saw old gil scot a few times at the town and country mid nineties.

not too shabby!

[Post edited 3 Oct 2014 17:31]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:56 - Oct 4 with 3398 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:29 - Oct 3 by Discodroids

what a great thread reading through the stories... although i am surprised no one has claimed to be at the first sex pistols gig @free trade hall manchester 1976.

legend has it there was 30,000 there!!.

fk the politics...lets dance.

Virtually everyone who is anyone was there apparently! Even Mick Hucknell.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 09:35 - Oct 4 with 3382 viewsTheBlob

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:56 - Oct 4 by CroydonCaptJack

It's like people claiming they were at that Mick Jagger/Marianne Faithful/Mars Bar party - must have been held in a stadium.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:08 - Oct 5 with 3352 viewsSomersetHoops

Not the best but quite good and quarter of an hour from me in South Petherton's David Hall last night to about 130 people. Very civilised with beer and tables I took my wife to see The Producers Blues Band. Good musicians who know their stuff.

Who's Next?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:01 - Oct 5 with 3336 viewsMonahoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:08 - Oct 5 by SomersetHoops

Not the best but quite good and quarter of an hour from me in South Petherton's David Hall last night to about 130 people. Very civilised with beer and tables I took my wife to see The Producers Blues Band. Good musicians who know their stuff.

I think you'll find Somerset, that there are great bands and musicians to be heard at local venues, ie pubs, local festivals etc, guys and girls that tour endlessly but never make the big time, whether through choice or whatever or they play music part time. I have always favoured small intimate venues to large stadiums or arenas. Small venues work well with genres like punk, blues, folk, some jazz. The atmosphere that can be created from musicians in these genres is often lost in large venues.
I have to say some of my favourite gigs have been seen in pubs or small festivals by small, relatively unknown bands. We have a great blues festival here in Monaghan every September and each year there is always a gem of a band that stands out from the rest. This years treat for me was a Swedish R n B band called Trick Bag which included in its ranks the great British harp player Steve 'West' Weston [played on Wilko Johnson's and Roger Daltry's recent album Going Back Home] and one of Europes greatist blues guitarists, Tommi Leina from Finland. Decent guys and real gentlemen to chat to after the gig. I hope they will be back next year.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:10 - Oct 5 with 3334 viewswood_hoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:08 - Oct 5 by SomersetHoops

Been having a good think about this and buggered if I have one that stands out as the best, been to plenty that were not that good and a number where 'legends' were top of the bill, so stoned at many they could have been playing the spoons and a washboard for all I know.

One I have vague memories of at Earls Court, Pink Floyd,-Dark Side of the Moon, went to see Bowie, made so many costume changes that I fell asleep, may have been the effect of other substances helped that.

As a 'soul boy' went often to Hammersmith Odeon to see the Motown stars, Stevie Wonder etc, never the Jackson Five though, just didn't take to them, one memorable gig was at the old Tottenham Royal dance hall,must have been around 73/74, really bad winters night,plenty of snow on the deck, Edwin Starr, him of the 'War' song fame, only 30/40 people turned up and bless him, just got on with it, had me and a few others up on stage singing along to 'War' , my one and only claim to fame.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 19:58 - Oct 5 with 3307 viewsSkeppsdal

The Damned 5th anniversary gig at the Lyceum. Also Level 42 in a small bar in Boston Mass
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 14:19 - Dec 8 with 3079 viewssimmo

Anybody here go to this? Always so full of envy when I watch it that I was too young.

That intro....

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 14:50 - Dec 8 with 3071 viewsRs_Holy

Dire Straits at Woburn Abbey 20th of June 1992…. It was a glorious English summer’s day, the music was sublime. My favourite moment was just as the sun was setting they played Private Investigations… 90 percent of the song is really laid back until Knopfler hits a big power chord backed up by the drums, keyboards and bass. At that moment the stage lights came fully on and the whole place was illuminated…. Bleed’n Perfect!
[Post edited 8 Dec 2015 14:59]
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:37 - Dec 8 with 3060 viewsstevestrange

Well I've got 2; The first is a Stevie Wonder gig at Wembley (can't remember the year), don't really like his music, but it's the first time I've seen a blind man play drums !! Secondly was Tin Machine at the Kilburn National, even though everyone says they were shit, to see Bowie on stage was top.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:54 - Dec 8 with 3050 viewsMick_S

Hammersmith - early eighties. I missed them at Caister, now that would have been a belter.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:49 - Dec 8 with 2988 viewsBrightonhoop

Tough call that one...PIL @ C2 Brighton's a contender. SLF @ Brixton Academy 1990. Foo Fighters at the Marquee another.

I was photographing Bruce Foxton at a gig in Brighton when he banged out an accoustic version of That's Entertainment, 6ft away, that nearly made me blub like a baby.

But for sheer intensity and drama it would have to be Carter USM at ULU 1991 I think, when whoever the support band were, played that You're Unbelievable song, got bottled off the stage within 3 songs and as the riot took hold and peaked they left the building sharpish, happy days.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 21:46 - Dec 8 with 2965 viewsderbyhoop

Led Zep at Wembley 1974ish. Support from Home and Stone The Crows with the wonderful Maggie Bell.

Other good ones
Free 1972 - Farx Club, Southall. Alright Now had just come out and it was seriously overcrowded but I was about 10feet from the stage.
U2 @ Twickenham with Editors as support
Live 8
Arcade Fire at the LG Arena 2010?
Elbow at Capital Arena, Nottingham. Support from Villagers.
Weirdest was British Sea Power at Academy Dublin. Disconcerting to stand next to a 7' polar bear, who has to duck his head because of the low ceiling.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:05 - Dec 8 with 2952 viewsMonahoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 21:46 - Dec 8 by derbyhoop

Led Zep at Wembley 1974ish. Support from Home and Stone The Crows with the wonderful Maggie Bell.

Other good ones
Free 1972 - Farx Club, Southall. Alright Now had just come out and it was seriously overcrowded but I was about 10feet from the stage.
U2 @ Twickenham with Editors as support
Live 8
Arcade Fire at the LG Arena 2010?
Elbow at Capital Arena, Nottingham. Support from Villagers.
Weirdest was British Sea Power at Academy Dublin. Disconcerting to stand next to a 7' polar bear, who has to duck his head because of the low ceiling.

The Academy in Dublin is a great venue. Saw Wilko Johnson there in May, another great gig from the master of sinister looks. Going to see Bad Manners there after Christmas, with a Ska nut QPR friend of mine. Should be a bit of fun. Haven't seen them in 30 odd years.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 03:18 - Dec 9 with 2912 viewsqpr1976

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:56 - Oct 4 by CroydonCaptJack

Much like the SPOTS (Sex Pistols On Tour) gig at Dunstable Queensway in 1976. If I had £1 for everyone I know who've said they were there, I would be able to give the 50 odd who actually were there £5 !
And only those that were there, would know they were supported by The Jam !
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 10:26 - Dec 9 with 2855 viewsBostonR

AC/DC - Red Cow Hammersmith - around 1976 - Simply Awesome!
Budgie - Hammersmith Odeon - 1978, They should have been huge.
ZZ Top - El Loco Tour 1981 - Hammersmith Odeon, before they became massive.
Rory Gallagher - 1980 - Hammersmith Odeon - simply the best guitarist ever.
AC/DC - Highway To Hell Tour - 1979 Hammersmith Odeon.
Blue Oyster Cult - 1979 - Hammersmith Odeon - what a light show!
Status Quo - Rockin all Over The World Tour at Hammersmith Odeon - the roof came off!
Clash - Acklam Hall - Ladbroke Grove.
Monsters Of Rock Festival 1984 - AC/DC, Van Halen, Motley Crue...
Queen - Live at Lyceum 1979.
Bruce Springsteen - Wembley Stadium - 1988.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:34 - Dec 9 with 2822 viewsTonto

Two favourite bands live are/were James and Inxs. Both bands sound excellent live, seem to enjoy playing and that comes across. Seen both on numerous occasions, including Summer XS at Wembley when Inxs were huge.

Honorable mentions to Kasabian and Chvrches (mainly because Lauren Maybury just chats away with the audience about life the universe and everything, its just nicely different to all the polished "this is what a rock star should sound like" crap you often get...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:49 - Dec 9 with 2803 views100percent

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:03 - Oct 2 by Discodroids

the island ilford !!! i ran a night there may years ago called 'supersonic' with my mate ian punter..1996/7.

it was a mess of good years.

i think its an upmarket indian resturant now with an asian cinema round the back.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2014 12:05]

I was the manager at the island.... oversaw all those supersonic nights... and the Chris Hill lacey lady, Junglemania, one nation etc. Was there for 2/3 years including the shooting incident.
we've probably met on a number of occasions - I'm still in contact with Ian Punter - another west ham fan who used to be a Rangers fan as I remember....
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:39 - Dec 9 with 2781 viewsjohncharles

14 hour technicolour dream at Aly Palais. I'm in some of the documentaries. My wonderful hippy girlfriend at the time said, I've just done a tab. End of memory.
Ah well.

Strong and stable my arse.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:49 - Dec 9 with 2776 viewsElHoop

I forgot Prince at the O2 whenever that was - he was different to anybody else I've ever seen that's for sure.
The Jam at the Rainbow in particular, when for some unkown reason they thought that seats were required.
A few freebies when I worked at Wembley spring to mind:
Status Quo in the Arena. Air guitar madness. Never seen anything like that since either.
Beach Boys at the stadium supporting Elton John and The Eagles - was an insult being below those two.
Genesis in the Arena - Gabriel doing some very strange things.
So many gigs over the years though - most of them were good and way better than listening to records.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 19:14 - Dec 9 with 2766 viewsTW_R

Amazing how many gigs on this list I was at - some of which I would freely divulge and some not so much. Most of my best gigs revolve around the smaller venues:-

G'n'R - The Marquee (Waldorf St) Circa '87
The Black Crowes - The Marquee Charing X Rd - '90
Aerosmith - The Marquee Charing X Rd - '90
Motley Crue - The Marquee Charing X Rd - '91
Faith No More - The Astoria - '90
Janes Addiction - The Astoria - '90
Soul Asylum - The Underworld - '93
Jack White - The O2 - '15
Soundgarden - Brixton - '93
Pearl Jam - ULU - '92

They're the ones that spring immediately to mind.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 19:16 - Dec 9 with 2765 viewsHarbour

Slade 1973 Wembley
Thin lizzy 1974? Rainbow
Chuck Berry London Palladium
Genesis trick of tail Hammersmith
Stevie Wonder Earls Court 1983
The Police Wembley awesome
Tracey Chapman Hammersmith
Roachford Jazz Café
Simply Red Kilburn National
Santana Wembley 1974
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 19:44 - Dec 9 with 2751 viewscarlosthebulb

Top 5 for me: 5) Oasis/Happy Mondays/Doves - Wembley Stadium
4) Beastie Boys/LL Cool J/Whodini/Run DMC - Hammersmith Apollo 86
3) MuseSoulwax - ULU
2) Foo Fighters - Brixton Academy (Can't remember year)
1) Public Enemy - Brixton Academy 89

Special mention to Oasis Knebworth, Madstock Finsbury Park 92, & oddly enough, The Star Wars Phantom Menace wrap party in 97 at Leavesden Studios where Ash & James Taylor Quartet performed. Was actually off my tits dancing in between JTQ on their stage and fell out with Tim Wheeler later on in evening due to my debauchery and probably a claim that I knew more about Star Wars than he and his group did Also had a random drunken encounter with George Lucas in a pretty unforgettable night to be honest...
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:07 - Dec 9 with 2741 views1BobbyHazell

The JB's at the Jazz Cafe back in 1990.

When we joined the queue it was about halfway to Kentish Town. At some point a fella from the venue comes down the queue telling everyone that there is no chance anyone this far down will get in. Time to muster our years of Bunking In (remember that, art form) skills. Luckily it was all a bit hectic around the entrance, we just blatantly piled in and somehow got away with it.

With the place absolutely rammed, we bowled up to near the front, well practised levels of alcohol and grass already consumed to combine for the perfect MusicLove buzz.

On they came, they were all there, Maceo, Fred Wesley, Pee Wee, and what followed was quite simply the most amazing 3 hours odd of my music listening life. Here were the masters, the creators even of funk, shapers of a genre, providers of about half the breaks being used in hip hop playing free range right from their f*cking hearts, 4 yards away from us! The place was just an absolute mess, I swear the floor was shaking, everyone was freaking the f*ck out, it was non stop, almost embarrassingly intimate, brutal and transcendent.

What music is for.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:22 - Dec 9 with 2700 viewsYorkRanger

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:54 - Dec 8 by Mick_S

Hammersmith - early eighties. I missed them at Caister, now that would have been a belter.

Saw Maze at Hammersmith about 85. Awesome
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024