Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. 10:03 - Oct 1 with 28472 viewsDiscodroids

dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch ..east ham granada 1965...supplied them french blues and purple hearts. titch fell off stage as a result

alexander oneal 1987 hammersmith odeon, he took me by the hand and led me to a four poster during, "if you were here tonight'.magical.

phil fearon and galaxy ..central park east ham 1985.....pulled some fast moves to 'dancin' tight'.had my picture taken with tom baker for newham recorder.'good food costs less at sainsburys' so he tells me.

jimmy hendrix @ montery 1967, i lent him me zippo for the grand finale.still havent got it back.

skrewdriver @ poulten, lancs 1980.jaunty ethnic cleansing group.played along to the big family number 'free my land with blood and honor' on the spoons.

rolling stones @altamont 1969. i was responsible for security.still got a lovely blood splatterd leather jacket indoors with a skull and cross bones on it.

joy division electric circus @manchester 1977. lead singer a bit long in the boat.told him a few one liners .didnt help much it seems.

talking heads los angeles@1984. psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est ??.thats all very well, but the suit is still to fuc king tight.

Rusty Egan/spandau ballet at the Blitz @COVENT GARDEN 1979.....To cut a long story short i lost my mind after seeing Kirk brandon commit the 'original sin' with boy george in trap 3.

pattil labelle/ micheal mcdonald@wembley arena 185, with bromley hoop..we had it all god damn it...

it was a mess of good years.

in all seriousness orbitol, alexander palace NYE @1996, kraftwerk , luton hoo @1997
nirvana ,reading @1992, the cure , wembley arena @1991.. suede , brixton acdamy @1992. tom tom club , electric ballroom @1998 ish.

shat myself at the public enemy gig brixton acadmy @1989.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 10:30]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 00:20 - Dec 10 with 2533 viewsBrightonhoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 03:00 - Oct 3 by SonofNorfolt

Glad I trawled through this just to even get a tongue in cheek mention!
(Ian, we played Moon Dance in the six song encore)

The best Floyd/Waters gig I saw was the Radio Kaos tour, late '87 at Wembley 50 metres pool.

Surprisingly no one has mentioned Thin Lizzy, in their heyday, as good as you get live.

One's memory gets clouded, but stand outs for me include Rush's residency at Hammersmith in both '79 and '80 on the Hemispheres and then Permanent Waves tours.

Reading Rock '80, my first festival, being particulary impressed by the Pat Travers Band, Budgie and then Slade, having it, a gig that sparked their comeback.

A time and a place, both Big Country and U2 at Hammersmith about three years later.

Even, Bryan Adams 'Reckless' show, Wembley '87, was pretty damn good, I laugh to myself now, but it was, or Aerosmith's Pump comeback at the same venue a couple of years later when Jimmy Page came on.

Much of the Nineties seemed to pass me by, so fast forward to more recent impressions, Muse at Reading 2006, with the Arctic Monkeys on beforehand (VIP courtesy of 100%) My Morning Jacket at Astoria 2, Electric Six at three in the morning at Billingsgate Market, (Rangers drew 2-2 at Colchester that day) with Polish Paul, gighopper supreme, Nearly Dan at the Bush Hall for my wedding, Chickenfoot at the SB Empire playing Purple's 'Highway Star', The Rakes at Electric Gardens Kent, with my brother, Harlesden, Sharpy et al, Kraftwerk at Exit Fest in Serbia, and best of all the Foo Fighters at the Roundhouse iTunes gigs, giving as good as they can.
Hopefully I'll see the Manic's playing 'The Holy Bible' at the same venue before Xmas and will enjoy it as much, although it won't have the same feeling as twenty years previous.

Kin ell, first mention of Rush's Permanent Waves in more years than I care to recall, what was it with them? NME always wrote them off, especially in the New Morrisey Ex days. Mate of mine nailed it when he said NM writes off what it cannot comprehend in the Grace Under Pressure time. But grew up on Exit Stage Left and burning midnight oil etc.
Opened up Bowies Scary Monsters and Adrian Belew.

Got a proper kickin at Brunel when the Specials played. And got close to a hiding at Harrow on the Hill when Madness played Hammersmith getting home, 25 local mods chased us onto the platform. Never been so glad to see 300 skinheads on a train, those locals got a proper shoeing and metal sand bucketing. Mad days. So it goes out to Two Tone for me. But Rush were grossly neglected.

Fcking Rush! Jesus, too many years.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 0:23]
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 01:14 - Dec 10 with 2521 viewsSydneyRs

Carter USM gigs at Brixton Academy in the early 90s were epic. Brilliant songs, mental crowd.
Big Audio Dynamite at Kentish Town late 1980s.
James at Alton Towers 1992.
Prodigy at Brixton around 1997.
Oasis at Enmore Theatre in Sydney about 2002. Utterly brilliant in a venue that only held around 3,000.
Madness Finsbury Park when they first did the reform thing.
The Pogues at the Kentish Town Forum. Superb band live.
Specials in Sydney a few years back were brilliant.
Stone Roses in Sydney 2013 - finally got to see them!
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 07:06 - Dec 10 with 2496 viewsPunteR

What happened to smegma?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 09:15 - Dec 10 with 2474 viewsMick_S

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:07 - Dec 9 by 1BobbyHazell

The JB's at the Jazz Cafe back in 1990.

When we joined the queue it was about halfway to Kentish Town. At some point a fella from the venue comes down the queue telling everyone that there is no chance anyone this far down will get in. Time to muster our years of Bunking In (remember that, art form) skills. Luckily it was all a bit hectic around the entrance, we just blatantly piled in and somehow got away with it.

With the place absolutely rammed, we bowled up to near the front, well practised levels of alcohol and grass already consumed to combine for the perfect MusicLove buzz.

On they came, they were all there, Maceo, Fred Wesley, Pee Wee, and what followed was quite simply the most amazing 3 hours odd of my music listening life. Here were the masters, the creators even of funk, shapers of a genre, providers of about half the breaks being used in hip hop playing free range right from their f*cking hearts, 4 yards away from us! The place was just an absolute mess, I swear the floor was shaking, everyone was freaking the f*ck out, it was non stop, almost embarrassingly intimate, brutal and transcendent.

What music is for.

Oh yes...

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:32 - Dec 10 with 2432 viewsjohncharles

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 08:13 - Oct 3 by BrianMcCarthy

"Jimmy Smith Mean Fiddler 1986ish"

Jimmy Smith '86 tour - clearly better in Harlesden than in Wembley!

Something about the Mean Fiddler. Saw Robert Cray there about that time. Fantastic.

Strong and stable my arse.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 00:24 - Dec 11 with 2405 viewsHendonHoop

Slim Gaylard at the 100 Club Oxford Street back in 1989.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 06:37 - Dec 11 with 2390 viewszicoshoops

The Stones, Hyde Park 69.
The Who, Oval.......It must have been 71, but I always thought it was late 60's.
Bob Marley Hammersmith Odeon 76.

Early 70's somewhere in a small hall in Victoria/Pimlico, blagging my way into a 'Children Of God,' meeting, because we'd heard there would be live music.
Very strange is an understatement.
The band would play a song, then stop for a while, then young women would approach you and try and convince you to become a 'Child Of God.'
Then Peter Green shuffled onto the stage and started playing......I don't know about 'The 'Children of God,' but Mr Green played like one that day.......outstanding.

Sammy Davies Junior sometime in the 60's. (I know, I know)
Whatever it was, he certainly had it.......amazing.

Most Sunday afternoons at the Roundhouse.
Walk through the door, breathe in 3 or 4 times, job done.......you were then stoned out of your brain.
Saw loads there I can't remember, although for some reason 'The Heavy Metal Kids' stand out.
Can't remember if it is because they were good or bad.

Who mentioned Planxty?
Would I have seen them in the Purty Loft, or would that have been Stockton's Wing?
Anyway, the Ale was flowing, and the Craic was mighty.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 09:21 - Feb 5 with 2222 viewssmegma

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 07:06 - Dec 10 by PunteR

What happened to smegma?

I died in 1969.
Login to get fewer ads

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 09:55 - Feb 5 with 2202 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 09:21 - Feb 5 by smegma

I died in 1969.

New Order, Futurama Festival 1982. Just have a look up the line up of other bands as well.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 09:58 - Feb 5 with 2200 viewsSomersetHoops

For me there was only one place that sticks in my memory more than any others and that is the Ricky Tick in Windsor my original home town. The first time I visited it when I was 15(luckily I passed for older and there was no ID checks then). I was blown away by the music available and decided I would go there at every opportunity. For my first visit it was in the Star & Garter pub at the top of Peascod Street. There was a jazz band playing in the bar on the ground floor and for a modest entrance fee you got your hand stamped with the ink that shows up in ultra-violet light and were granted access to the upper room where emerging R &B bands were playing. On any good night it was fantastic. It moved to the Thames Hotel where they had Hendrix, Cream, Geno Washington playing and in the old Manor House where the swimming pool now is. In the old house I think was the best night one new year I think '69/70 when the Stones played and one of the Blues legends I think Sonny Boy Williamson joined then on stage. I was rather plastered that night so memories are a bit vague, but it was broadcast by radio one, so there must be a proper record of it somewhere. Anyway here is a potted history of what for me was a brilliant series of venues organised by heroes of music.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/articles/2006/11/06/ricky_tick_feature.sh

Who's Next?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 10:01 - Feb 5 with 2237 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This was rather splendid.

Sponsored by Hobgoblin ale! Marvelous, it made a change from having to imbibe shit lager in really bendy plastic cups.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:37 - Feb 5 with 2176 viewsDorse

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 07:06 - Dec 10 by PunteR

What happened to smegma?

Circumcision?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:57 - Feb 5 with 2166 viewsdistortR

Levellers, around the time of their first album, on the level in the old buff festival, when it was free etc etc. cracking set, council trying to pull the plug, electrical storm coming in off the channel as they played "England". Stunning.

Conflict, woolwich poly downstairs bar. They were practically banned from the uk at the time after the gathering of the 5000, this was a word of mouth gig, hardcore fans, unity and a feeling of togetherness and fighting against the odds.

leatherface, brighton richmond. Loved that venue, free entry most nights after i backed up the thoroughly decent bouncer when some prats had a go. Leatherface had just released 'razorblades and aspirin', small crowd but blew me away with their power and playing, imagine the spawn of a copulation between motorhead and slf....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024