Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bloody Dead People non QPR 14:32 - Oct 20 with 2765 viewsWokingR

I'm getting really fed up with the number of staff deciding they need time off because some distant and long lost relative that nobody has ever heard off has died and they need to go to the funeral.
Looking for some guidance really as what is expected, acceptable and normal policy.
Obviously if a close relative dies then that is a given but a cousins husband? Seriously?!
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 14:38 - Oct 20 with 2003 viewsstowmarketrange

You've never used it as an excuse for a midweek cup replay away from home then?
I know I used to,but now I'd lose a day's pay,so my family circle has got an awful lot smaller.Also,with better coverage now,its more difficult to keep details of a match quiet.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 14:47 - Oct 20 with 1963 viewsisawqpratwcity

wot, no nipple pic?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 14:48 - Oct 20 with 1956 viewsRangersw12

If any of my cousins wife/husband died I would go to the funeral
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 14:51 - Oct 20 with 1938 viewskensalriser

Cousin's spouse seems reasonable enough. Extra time off or as part of annual leave?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 15:05 - Oct 20 with 1886 viewsW7Ranger

I took a Days Holiday for my Uncle's funeral a couple of weeks back, I wouldn't expect not to take it as annual leave. To be honest, I didn't even ask for compassionate leave.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2014 15:06]
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 15:14 - Oct 20 with 1859 viewsWokingR

I would expect them to take it out of holiday but if we are already short staffed for the day am I obliged to give them the day off at all?

Nip slip as requestedas payment for advice received
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 15:18 - Oct 20 with 1844 viewsRangersw12

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 15:14 - Oct 20 by WokingR

I would expect them to take it out of holiday but if we are already short staffed for the day am I obliged to give them the day off at all?

Nip slip as requestedas payment for advice received

What does your company handbook say regarding time off for funerals ?
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 15:21 - Oct 20 with 1829 viewskingsburyR

Sensitive one this.

As an employer I am regularly seen as a complete to$$er when it comes to time off for funerals.

I run a immediate family and grandparents policy only. Might seem harsh but where do you draw the line? Anyone else and its to be taken as leave or the time made up!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Login to get fewer ads

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 15:27 - Oct 20 with 1798 viewsJAPRANGERS

Regularly abused this. We had a guy who wanted the day off to go the funeral of his friend's deceased dog would you believe!

Honestly you should only get compassionate leave to go to your own funeral......
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 15:28 - Oct 20 with 1795 viewsTacticalR

Before hiring conduct rigorous background checks and eliminate any individual suspected of having relatives.

Air hostess clique

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 16:52 - Oct 20 with 1688 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 15:27 - Oct 20 by JAPRANGERS

Regularly abused this. We had a guy who wanted the day off to go the funeral of his friend's deceased dog would you believe!

Honestly you should only get compassionate leave to go to your own funeral......

Had a member of staff two weeks ago who asked if she could have a day off as her parrot had been killed by a fox in the garden. When I said no, she went on to say 'well when my dog dies, I'm not coming in'
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 16:54 - Oct 20 with 1669 viewskingsburyR

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 16:52 - Oct 20 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Had a member of staff two weeks ago who asked if she could have a day off as her parrot had been killed by a fox in the garden. When I said no, she went on to say 'well when my dog dies, I'm not coming in'

Ask her to bring the Parrot in as proof, and the dog when it happens!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 17:18 - Oct 20 with 1608 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 16:54 - Oct 20 by kingsburyR

Ask her to bring the Parrot in as proof, and the dog when it happens!

Parrot had no head or feet. Not such a pretty boy.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 17:19 - Oct 20 with 1604 viewsBucksRanger

Christ there are some tough bosses on this board. I was a youngster not long in work back in the 70's when my mother died. My father had died whilst I was a school kid so I told my immediate boss what had happened and explained that I would have to make certain arrangements and would need to take time off to travel to the fairly isolated village where she had retired to (I didn't own a car at the time so had to rely on very erratic public transport). They said it was OK and they understood. They even showed me their book of rules that allowed 'up to 3 days' leave. I took those 3 days. One to travel to the village, one for the funeral and staying on afterwards at the funeral do, and the third to get back.

That seemed reasonable to me and I didn't think I was being in any way unreasonable, but when I returned to work I was called in by top management and torn off a strip for my length of absence. Apparently, his view was 'up to 3 days' meant 1 or 2 and I was deducted wages for day 3.

I was so upset, not by the deduction of wages but by the complete distrust shown to me. Anyway, I couldn't tolerate working there afterwards and left very soon afterwards.

No idea why I wanted to post all that but I feel better for it. 35 years ago but it still hurts the way I got treated. I suppose it all boils down to a plea to bosses everywhere to treat each case as it happens. Not everyone is trying it on.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 18:22 - Oct 20 with 1505 viewsQPRMUSO

My wife works in a Catholic school even though she is not Catholic and they allow staff to be off for any Tom Dick and Harry which is a ridiculous waste of tax payers money as many of the staff take the entire day off and the school has to pay £175 for agency teachers to fill the void.

Most companies now cover staff for immediate family members only so anything Uncle and Cousin level and below you have to take as non paid leave, I personally think uncle and cousin level should be included but not after that.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 18:58 - Oct 20 with 1430 viewsCiderwithRsie

I worked in the Abbey National Mortgage Deeds Vault one summer.

My soul died every day but I never got a bloody day off for it. Until I resigned and walked out.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 19:06 - Oct 20 with 1423 viewskysersosaqpr

The best excuse I ever heard (true apparently) for having a paid day off, was a guy in Florida phoned in and said..
"I can't come in because the voices in my head have told me to clean the guns"!!!!!!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 19:08 - Oct 20 with 1415 viewsCiderwithRsie

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 19:06 - Oct 20 by kysersosaqpr

The best excuse I ever heard (true apparently) for having a paid day off, was a guy in Florida phoned in and said..
"I can't come in because the voices in my head have told me to clean the guns"!!!!!!

Yeah, no time off for funerals of people you killed, either.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 19:35 - Oct 20 with 1371 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 17:19 - Oct 20 by BucksRanger

Christ there are some tough bosses on this board. I was a youngster not long in work back in the 70's when my mother died. My father had died whilst I was a school kid so I told my immediate boss what had happened and explained that I would have to make certain arrangements and would need to take time off to travel to the fairly isolated village where she had retired to (I didn't own a car at the time so had to rely on very erratic public transport). They said it was OK and they understood. They even showed me their book of rules that allowed 'up to 3 days' leave. I took those 3 days. One to travel to the village, one for the funeral and staying on afterwards at the funeral do, and the third to get back.

That seemed reasonable to me and I didn't think I was being in any way unreasonable, but when I returned to work I was called in by top management and torn off a strip for my length of absence. Apparently, his view was 'up to 3 days' meant 1 or 2 and I was deducted wages for day 3.

I was so upset, not by the deduction of wages but by the complete distrust shown to me. Anyway, I couldn't tolerate working there afterwards and left very soon afterwards.

No idea why I wanted to post all that but I feel better for it. 35 years ago but it still hurts the way I got treated. I suppose it all boils down to a plea to bosses everywhere to treat each case as it happens. Not everyone is trying it on.

Who is the bastered boss/firm who did that? That's so wrong I don't want to find anything they do, how utterly wrong!

When I was an apprentice back in de jour I had three friends die within weeks and when I told my boss I had another funeral the old cud said "core wouldn't want to be your mate" the insensitive bald vvanker. I didn't say what I thought but that had their card marked.

As for what's acceptable, you can't be hard and fast, for instance my fourth and fifth cousins are like brothers and sisters, I have a big close family spread from Italy to USA and everywhere in between.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 20:23 - Oct 20 with 1303 viewsHollowayRanger

just hire orphans

sorted!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 20:47 - Oct 20 with 1251 viewskensalriser

If it's out of holiday you should let them go. Some families are close and preventing an employee from attending a funeral could cause quite a lot of resentment. Do the right thing.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 22:15 - Oct 20 with 1200 viewsBucksRanger

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 19:35 - Oct 20 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Who is the bastered boss/firm who did that? That's so wrong I don't want to find anything they do, how utterly wrong!

When I was an apprentice back in de jour I had three friends die within weeks and when I told my boss I had another funeral the old cud said "core wouldn't want to be your mate" the insensitive bald vvanker. I didn't say what I thought but that had their card marked.

As for what's acceptable, you can't be hard and fast, for instance my fourth and fifth cousins are like brothers and sisters, I have a big close family spread from Italy to USA and everywhere in between.

Hi Pablo, far too long ago for me to remember the boss's name but the company was Datapoint out Neasden way. I think they are still going but I've had nothing to do with them since I left all those years back. I can only hope they treat people better these days as the hurt an insensitive boss can cause can linger a long time.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 22:47 - Oct 20 with 1164 viewsTacticalR

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 20:23 - Oct 20 by HollowayRanger

just hire orphans

sorted!

"Wanted. Young, skinny wiry fellows not over 18. Must be expert riders, willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred. Wages $25 per week."
Pony Express advertisement, 1860

Air hostess clique

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 22:53 - Oct 20 with 1146 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 22:15 - Oct 20 by BucksRanger

Hi Pablo, far too long ago for me to remember the boss's name but the company was Datapoint out Neasden way. I think they are still going but I've had nothing to do with them since I left all those years back. I can only hope they treat people better these days as the hurt an insensitive boss can cause can linger a long time.

Let's hope karma has its way!
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 22:54 - Oct 20 with 1144 viewsOakR

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 17:19 - Oct 20 by BucksRanger

That sounds ludicrous - maybe your direct bosses hands were tied but whoever made that decision, especially after it had been agreed, is terrible.

Back to the OP, I think you need to have set rules, but then use as the expression goes 'management discretion'. Personally I will give staff up to a week for compassionate leave for immediate family, and make a decision on grandparents etc.

Ultimately you want to be fair to your staff, you'll need them to help you sometimes and vice versa. Everyone can stick rigidly to the rules which helps no-one generally, or you can all help each other a bit which works much better. My team know if they work hard I'll help them as much as I can if they need it, but if they don't work hard don't expect any favours.

Poll: Will we stay up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024