Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bloody Dead People non QPR 14:32 - Oct 20 with 2764 viewsWokingR

I'm getting really fed up with the number of staff deciding they need time off because some distant and long lost relative that nobody has ever heard off has died and they need to go to the funeral.
Looking for some guidance really as what is expected, acceptable and normal policy.
Obviously if a close relative dies then that is a given but a cousins husband? Seriously?!
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 23:35 - Oct 20 with 752 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

is this thread for real?
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 00:03 - Oct 21 with 730 viewsBrightonhoop

I'd draw the lines at dogs, but you dont know what relationship was had with distant relation and risk pishing off your best employee.
Take it on merit. Boot the work shy,but dont throw the baby out with the bath water.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 00:28 - Oct 21 with 718 viewsCiderwithRsie

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 00:03 - Oct 21 by Brightonhoop

I'd draw the lines at dogs, but you dont know what relationship was had with distant relation and risk pishing off your best employee.
Take it on merit. Boot the work shy,but dont throw the baby out with the bath water.

In all seriousness, this is sound. When my wife died I was bloody glad to see people at the funeral I'd never met, old college friends of hers and so on, people who weren't strictly speaking related to her at all. It was a sign of respect for her and of support for me.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 09:06 - Oct 21 with 672 viewsgordanoR

The company I currently work for have it all wrong too. When my newborn son was in hospital a few months ago I asked for compassionate leave or even reduced hours & I was refused on the grounds that he wasn't actually dead. Like I could do anything about it if he had died FFS, the little guy needed me as my wife was occupied with his twin brother & our daughter.

Luckily I am subcontracted to a larger company & the guy I work for told me "fk (name of my company), you take as much time off as you need" Fair play to him.

I was even more incensed when the fat cnt's dog died & she took a day off for it, at least she had to take it as holiday.

Anyway, a happy ending as my lad is all up running after a reversal op 2 weeks ago. I can't say the same for any loyalty I felt to the company I work for, that died months ago.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 09:36 - Oct 21 with 640 viewsClive_Anderson

Is work really all that important that you can't go to a funeral you would like to attend?

I can maybe understand if being in work is a life or death situation (eg. emergency workers after a plane crash), but other than that work really shouldn't be that important.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 09:43 - Oct 21 with 638 viewsCiderwithRsie

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 09:06 - Oct 21 by gordanoR

The company I currently work for have it all wrong too. When my newborn son was in hospital a few months ago I asked for compassionate leave or even reduced hours & I was refused on the grounds that he wasn't actually dead. Like I could do anything about it if he had died FFS, the little guy needed me as my wife was occupied with his twin brother & our daughter.

Luckily I am subcontracted to a larger company & the guy I work for told me "fk (name of my company), you take as much time off as you need" Fair play to him.

I was even more incensed when the fat cnt's dog died & she took a day off for it, at least she had to take it as holiday.

Anyway, a happy ending as my lad is all up running after a reversal op 2 weeks ago. I can't say the same for any loyalty I felt to the company I work for, that died months ago.

Shocking treatment Gordano and you're quite right about your kids needing you.

Glad to hear he's on the mend.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 09:58 - Oct 21 with 625 viewsPommyhoop

When my Dad died at the very young age of 50 obviously I was on the floor.He worked for the same electrical company as me and only being 18 years older than me was like a mate as well as my Dad.While I was off for those first couple of days grieving i heard a rumour that they wanted me back after 3 days.
I rang up my immediate guvnor and asked him about the 3 days. He confirmed it was company policy for 3 days compassionate leave for family.I went down the Doctors that night and got signed off for stress. I had 2 weeks off in all.F@ck em ,we had to get Dad back to Ireland and lay him to rest there. 3 days wernt cutting it..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 10:26 - Oct 21 with 604 viewsKonk

At my work you get a day’s compassionate leave for immediate family or grandparents. Depending on who the person is and what sort of a reliable grafter they are, for friends and more distant relatives, people are quite often given a day-off, either off the books or part of a day either as an early finish or late start. All very civilised and no-one abuses it.

We have a bloke who looks after all our IT infrastructure, who works literally every single day, including Christmas, when he’s away on holiday etc. He’s worked for the company for about twenty years and when his Mum died last year, he was given one day of compassionate leave. Funeral was up in remote Northern Scotland, and work insisted that he take the travelling time as annual leave or travel up and down in a single day (impossible). Needless to say, he’s utterly fuc ked-off with the way he was treated.

Contrast that with my wife’s work, where a South-African colleague’s Dad died in a car crash, and appreciating how expensive last minute flights are, work paid for her and her husband to fly out to South Africa that day with open returns, and she was told not to contact work for two weeks unless there was anything she needed. That offer was made by the owner and founder of the business, a really decent bloke who looks after his staff and clearly appreciates just how huge an event it is when someone loses someone so close to them.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Login to get fewer ads

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 10:56 - Oct 21 with 588 viewsWestbourneR

This is the most distasteful threads I've ever seen.

'bloody dead people' is just unbelievable.

I don't suggest, I am telling you, you're far too thick to be a manager of anyone. I can't imagine it's a great place to work.

Grow up.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 11:13 - Oct 21 with 577 viewsWokingR

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 10:56 - Oct 21 by WestbourneR

This is the most distasteful threads I've ever seen.

'bloody dead people' is just unbelievable.

I don't suggest, I am telling you, you're far too thick to be a manager of anyone. I can't imagine it's a great place to work.

Grow up.

It's a real shame that we can use this forum for open discussion and everyone has a differing but equally valid view until someone like you comes along and starts calling people thick. Nobody is right as every single circumstance is open to so many variables.
Yes, my reaction was "bloody dead people", as we have had a string of deaths in what is a very small office, all of which have been treated compassionately. As the owner of a business though you do have to draw the line somewhere and if you had read the opening post referring to a cousins husband then you might have appreciated how it can start to become a pain if people push the boundaries or abuse the system.
All I wanted was relevant feedback and other peoples experiance but thanks for your valued contribution.
Bloody Dead People non QPR on 11:26 - Oct 21 with 566 viewsMetallica_Hoop

'Bloody Dead People' sounds like the British stiff upper lip version of 'The Walking Dead'.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 11:37 - Oct 21 with 555 viewsWestbourneR

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 11:13 - Oct 21 by WokingR

It's a real shame that we can use this forum for open discussion and everyone has a differing but equally valid view until someone like you comes along and starts calling people thick. Nobody is right as every single circumstance is open to so many variables.
Yes, my reaction was "bloody dead people", as we have had a string of deaths in what is a very small office, all of which have been treated compassionately. As the owner of a business though you do have to draw the line somewhere and if you had read the opening post referring to a cousins husband then you might have appreciated how it can start to become a pain if people push the boundaries or abuse the system.
All I wanted was relevant feedback and other peoples experiance but thanks for your valued contribution.

Don't dress it up as a reasonable debate, your thread title says it all. Utterly insensitive to anyone who has lost someone they love.

Small, medium, big business a death and funeral obviously more important than a days work.

The fact you need to ask whether it is demonstrates that you are thick both intellectually and emotionally. If you even have to ask then you've got a problem.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 15:49 - Oct 21 with 512 viewsloftboy

When I worked for toshiba my manager was superb, my mrs was brought up by he nan and when she died we had 4 young children, my mrs was all over the place and he gave me a fortnight off to look after the kids, there was also a bloke who had no kids but had a dog that he doted on, he got a weeks compassionate when it died.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Bloody Dead People non QPR on 16:10 - Oct 21 with 495 viewsheadhoops

Hi Woking,
maybe you could have had a slightly better worded title. That said my advice is take each case on its on merits - you know the people who work for you and those who take the Michael and those who don't.
If your top grafter wants to go to his mothers, brothers, dead parrots funeral - then its probably a day well sacrificed. (tempted to say especially if its a Norwegian Blue with a beautiful plumage).
A happy workforce is a motivated workforce which is usually a success for the owner.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024