Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Series worth watching 18:09 - Oct 21 with 6280 viewsstuabd

Any good calls on some great series out there at the moment?

I have True detective to watch based on a friends recommendation.

Recent series I've loved have been game of thrones, breaking bad, killing, bridge, Arne Dahl.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. If not, I'll go back and pay homage to the Sopranos.

Series worth watching on 13:43 - Oct 22 with 1769 viewssimmo

Series worth watching on 13:15 - Oct 22 by CroydonCaptJack

Modern family is great mate.

And another reason to watch it is:-

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/emmys-gold-12-pictures-of-mo

Ah man, Sofia Vergara.... Till it fell off.

Also, have you seen recent pictures of the girl that plays the youngest daughter? The nerdy one? She has, um, blossomed.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2014 13:45]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Series worth watching on 13:48 - Oct 22 with 1768 viewsheadhoops

Series worth watching on 21:36 - Oct 21 by easthertsr

If you don't mind subtitles Gomorrah, on sky atlantic, an Italian series about the Naples Mafia is absolutely fu@king brilliant!

With you eastherts - enjoying this one. Lady Imma...hhhmmmm.

If you like this genre check out Criminale Romanzo thats well worth a watch.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Series worth watching on 14:28 - Oct 22 with 1736 viewsBasingstokeR

Series worth watching on 13:31 - Oct 22 by Pommyhoop

Love The Wire.
Chris and Snoop instead of Bondy and Joe?

If Chris Partlow and Snoop were allowed to put bad trainers in the vacants then we'd have no problems with fitness. Snoop only talks in a marginally more nonsense way than 'Arry.

Can we bring Freamon in to assist with the long game gameplan and tactics?
Series worth watching on 14:36 - Oct 22 with 1728 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Series worth watching on 13:43 - Oct 22 by simmo

Ah man, Sofia Vergara.... Till it fell off.

Also, have you seen recent pictures of the girl that plays the youngest daughter? The nerdy one? She has, um, blossomed.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2014 13:45]

Yes, I have noticed that last series and there is a new one about to start I think. After being in her older sisters shadow as well eh!
Series worth watching on 14:49 - Oct 22 with 1709 viewshailshamhoop

Another massive shout out for Gomorrah, the best most gripping series I've seen in a very long time.
Series worth watching on 14:51 - Oct 22 with 1706 viewstraininvain

Series worth watching on 11:33 - Oct 22 by simmo

Just rewatched Sopranos all the way through for about the 20th time, I fckin love that show....

Currently catching up with Walking Dead, which I left at end of S2 but have been told to stick with as it gets better, now nearly on S4. Also got True Detective ready for when that's done.

Keeping up with Boardwalk Empire week to week, shame they have rushed this final season but it's good.

When I want something quick and light hearted I watch the Modern Family episodes I have downloaded, only 25mins each. It's American sitcom stuff but don't let that put you off, it's really good.

I've watched the Sopranos from start to finish about five times. Not sure I could do the same with the Wire, Breaking Bad etc. So the Sopranos is the undisputed GOAT as far as I am concerned.

But, I would say that Band of Brothers is another contender that rarely gets mentioned. Absolutely disturbing in places but I think that everyone should have to watch it at some point to appreciate the sacrifices made in WWII.

In terms of comedy, Alan Partridge (Series One) and Curb Your Enthusiasm take some beating.
Series worth watching on 15:38 - Oct 22 with 1685 viewspaulparker

Watched mostly all of them

24- very addictive but gets a bit samey
Breaking Bad - great series, season 3&4 especially
the Sopranos- could watch again , & again
the Wire - (prop joe, stringer bell, slim Charles,& omar great characters )
Boardwalk empire - season 2 is a bit boring but very, very good & some great snatch on show
The Pacific- superb action scenes & story telling , wish we could produce a war series like this
Prison Break - ok , a bit silly in parts, but easy watching
Sons of Anarchy- total over the top cheese, im now in the final season,
Dexter- do not bother getting into this , the last 2 seasons & ending are utter dog sh*t
Ashes to Ashes- got a thing about keely hawes, worth watching season 1 just to see her kitted up

going to try and get into Game of thrones next if I can get past the dungeons & dragons bit

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Series worth watching on 16:18 - Oct 22 with 1665 viewssimmo

Series worth watching on 14:51 - Oct 22 by traininvain

I've watched the Sopranos from start to finish about five times. Not sure I could do the same with the Wire, Breaking Bad etc. So the Sopranos is the undisputed GOAT as far as I am concerned.

But, I would say that Band of Brothers is another contender that rarely gets mentioned. Absolutely disturbing in places but I think that everyone should have to watch it at some point to appreciate the sacrifices made in WWII.

In terms of comedy, Alan Partridge (Series One) and Curb Your Enthusiasm take some beating.

Completely agree RE Band of Brothers, rewatched that not too long ago too. The cast is great, spotting younger James McAvoys and Tom Hardys amongst others...

Very sad though, espcially the latter episodes when you start to really care about the characters. Also makes me sad that we won't ever have a generation of that calibre anymore

Login to get fewer ads

Series worth watching on 16:22 - Oct 22 with 1656 viewspaulparker

Series worth watching on 16:18 - Oct 22 by simmo

Completely agree RE Band of Brothers, rewatched that not too long ago too. The cast is great, spotting younger James McAvoys and Tom Hardys amongst others...

Very sad though, espcially the latter episodes when you start to really care about the characters. Also makes me sad that we won't ever have a generation of that calibre anymore

You need to watch the Pacific then Simmo , much better IMHO than Band of Brothers

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Series worth watching on 17:02 - Oct 22 with 1639 viewstraininvain

Series worth watching on 16:22 - Oct 22 by paulparker

You need to watch the Pacific then Simmo , much better IMHO than Band of Brothers

Not in a million years. It's cinematically good but nowhere near Band of Brothers in terms of narrative and emotion.
Series worth watching on 17:06 - Oct 22 with 1631 viewssimmo

Series worth watching on 16:22 - Oct 22 by paulparker

Yeah I did watch Pacific, thought it was bang average in comparison, still very good, but nowhere near the level of BoB

Series worth watching on 17:11 - Oct 22 with 1631 viewsdaveB

Series worth watching on 13:19 - Oct 22 by CroydonCaptJack

Was Fargo any good?

I really liked Fargo, very good show
Series worth watching on 17:14 - Oct 22 with 1620 viewspaulparker

Series worth watching on 17:06 - Oct 22 by simmo

Yeah I did watch Pacific, thought it was bang average in comparison, still very good, but nowhere near the level of BoB

Really I thought the pacific was very good and better than BOB

oh well different strokes for different folks I suppose

Series worth watching on 18:03 - Oct 22 with 1600 viewssimmo

Series worth watching on 17:14 - Oct 22 by paulparker

Really I thought the pacific was very good and better than BOB

oh well different strokes for different folks I suppose

It is very good, the episode/scene when they are on that hill with the mortars... But Band of Brothers seemed like this one off docu series with an ensemble cast that was original and with the soldiers story at its heart. Pacific seemed more of a result of the success and people like Spielberg and Hanks putting money into another groups story. It was still very well done (naturally) but I didn't get that same sense that I was watching something momentous. Also the WW2 conflict is one that resonates so much more with me/the general population, maybe that made it easier to relate to.

Series worth watching on 18:43 - Oct 22 with 1573 viewsPunteR

Forgot about Band of Brothers, I'll have to get my box set out again and have a watch. Great series.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Series worth watching on 19:50 - Oct 22 with 1564 viewsBrazilNutR

The Wire should be first on your list...its brilliant

I really enyoyed TREME (by the wire producers, and staring quite a few of the cast of the Wire, and some good music in it as well.. all about New Orleans post Katrina)

I just finished Lilyhammer (stars Silvio Dante from Sopranos) which is easy watching a pretty amusing..Sopranos moves to rural Norway..
Series worth watching on 19:55 - Oct 22 with 1559 viewsHollowayRanger

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Series worth watching on 19:07 - Oct 23 with 1466 viewsstuabd

Thanks everyone. Just watched episode 1 of true detective. Great although I only understand about 50% of what Matthew mc said. Seemed to mumble his way through the first 30 minutes. Very good though.

On this subject, the best ever episode in a series has to be series 3 Sopranos Pine Barrens. I've watched it about 20 times and it still makes me laugh.

Series worth watching on 22:19 - Oct 23 with 1416 views18StoneOfHoop

Series worth watching on 19:07 - Oct 23 by stuabd

Thanks everyone. Just watched episode 1 of true detective. Great although I only understand about 50% of what Matthew mc said. Seemed to mumble his way through the first 30 minutes. Very good though.

On this subject, the best ever episode in a series has to be series 3 Sopranos Pine Barrens. I've watched it about 20 times and it still makes me laugh.

100% concur bout Pine Barrens best ever episode,no question.

I really miss all of 'em - what a cast! - Paulie Walnuts (Tony Sirico) most of all though

Don't know why I'm not seeing in other shows Michael Imperioli (Christopher Moltisanti) Jamie Lynn sigler (Meadow) Robert Iler (AJ) John Ventimiglia(Tony's best pal chef Artie) Vincent Pastore (Big Pussy) etcetera
Kensal Rise resident Clarke Perters went from Breaking Bad to Treme - so why not more talented Sopranos alumni get top parts??

On the SC coach to Wigan in the play-offs these two pretty clued-up Scandos were telling me that True Detective was better than The Wire,Breaking Bad and The Sopranos.
With no kids or missus and free time from graft now and again I had the luxury of time to watch the whole True Detective boxset in one day.
It's very very well made and enjoyable the two leads Woody and McConnaghy are excellent but it's still not in the league of their own of the formerly mentioned three.

The best tv series of all time for me still remain:
1) The Wire
2) The Sopranos
3) Breaking Bad

4) Fawlty Towers
5) Boys From The Blackstuff

BTW Nurse Jackie with the excellent Carmella Soprano AKA Edie Falco as the eponymous drug popping mom Jackie is also very very very good and should get more fans/adherents/mentions than it does. On series 6 now.

Also highly recommend Weeds box-sets with the sexy brunette Mary Louise Parker as a drug selling soccer mom . On Series 6 now.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2014 22:30]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Series worth watching on 22:28 - Oct 23 with 1405 viewsLblock

Has ITV's Prey been mentioned I quite liked that.

And Fargo was superb.
Frodo from The Office was fantastic in that.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Series worth watching on 23:19 - Oct 23 with 1376 viewsPunteR

Series worth watching on 22:28 - Oct 23 by Lblock

Has ITV's Prey been mentioned I quite liked that.

And Fargo was superb.
Frodo from The Office was fantastic in that.

You got your Bilbo and your frodo mixed up mate. Dildo is in another show.

A good comedy series that i thought was quality was Spaced. Well worth a look Imo. Lots of pop culture references and very funny. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on top form.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2014 23:36]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Series worth watching on 23:23 - Oct 23 with 1375 viewsMrSheen

The Shield still well worth digging out.

Parks and Recreation is very funny, criminally messed about by the BBC.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024