Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Phillips 11:54 - Oct 22 with 2855 viewssdm1508

I was really excited by this signing when we first got him. I really thought once he was fit he would be a real asset. What do you think has gone wrong for him? Is it really just fitness and confidence or is there something more? He seems to offer nothing going forward (at the moment) and falls asleep when marking or tracking back.

I even thought the obese Adel would offer something more at the moment, at least going forward. His lack of tracking back you could plan for as you know he probably won't do it anyway but it's a bit harder to plan for someone like Phillips who shows willing but keeps on falling asleep at vital times.

I think Phillips is a good player, he has all the attributes. He showed a glimpse of it before his injury last season. He just seems to have gone backwards even more now
Matt Phillips on 16:18 - Oct 22 with 683 viewsPhildo

I was delighted when we got him - as a kid he was being watched by every club in the country and had done enough at Blackpool to suggest big things were coming. I have not written him off though although i know a lot have.
Matt Phillips on 16:31 - Oct 22 with 668 viewsWestbourneR

Doesn't track back much though does he? He really didn't help Isla like he needed to in the second half.

I have to say Junior Hoillet has been much more impressive when he has played.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Matt Phillips on 16:44 - Oct 22 with 656 viewsTacticalR

Matt Phillips on 16:31 - Oct 22 by WestbourneR

Doesn't track back much though does he? He really didn't help Isla like he needed to in the second half.

I have to say Junior Hoillet has been much more impressive when he has played.

The right-hand side looked a mess after Onuoha went off as neither Isla or Phillips are dedicated defenders and this allowed Coutinho to go a roaming.

Air hostess clique

Matt Phillips on 16:56 - Oct 22 with 641 viewsBklynRanger

I think I must have got the wrong end of the stick with Phillips on Sunday as far as tracking back is concerned.

I assumed he was brought on because he does usually do a good job of tracking back so we'd be less open than if Hoilett had come on. I did see him make a handful of blocks around the halfway line, so maybe he was told to focus on getting the ball back from further up the pitch?

Either way I hope we persevere with him. He's taken time to get back into form in the past and has admitted in the press that he's not happy with his performances. Far as I'm concerned if he can get on form he's more dynamic and has more end product that Hoilett.
Matt Phillips on 18:38 - Oct 22 with 608 viewsDesertBoot

Needs a good month working on fitness and mindset. Forget being in the matchday squad for now. Getting the nod ahead of Hoilett was a poor decision on Sunday.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Matt Phillips on 20:08 - Oct 22 with 559 viewsonlyrinmoray

Like others Iwas really pleased we signed him however other than a couple of flashes has done nothing and has been injured most of the time
Wayne Routledge has really shone at Swansea and he was a nearly player all his career He should have had a game for England based on his form over the last 2 seasons Another bad QPR decision to sell him
Matt Phillips on 05:14 - Oct 23 with 505 viewsWesty75

Matt Phillips on 13:46 - Oct 22 by WestminsteRs

Agree 100%

He just needs to be told to be direct and run at people but too often he turns inside and looks for an easy pass. Maybe that's confidence but if we wanted someone to do that we have other options.

Yes, he could do with getting a bit of Gareth Ainsworth directness into his game - knock it past his man and go. A bit more aggression.
Matt Phillips on 05:50 - Oct 23 with 496 viewsNorthernr

Matt Phillips on 05:14 - Oct 23 by Westy75

Yes, he could do with getting a bit of Gareth Ainsworth directness into his game - knock it past his man and go. A bit more aggression.

Yeh I think through lack of confidence he's making the game out to be more complicated than it actually is. The sitters he missed at Spurs and Man Utd were him trying to be too cute, thinking about it too much. Just put your boot through the ball. If we pick him wide right he should be told to just get the ball and run at his man, get to the byline and cross at every opportunity. No cutting inside, no tricks, just head down and go. Start very basic with him and see if we can build him up from there.

As said though, we'll probably just ship him out and buy somebody else. Too much like hard work this coaching and improvement malarkey.
Login to get fewer ads

Matt Phillips on 07:15 - Oct 23 with 478 viewsPunteR

Matt Phillips on 05:50 - Oct 23 by Northernr

Yeh I think through lack of confidence he's making the game out to be more complicated than it actually is. The sitters he missed at Spurs and Man Utd were him trying to be too cute, thinking about it too much. Just put your boot through the ball. If we pick him wide right he should be told to just get the ball and run at his man, get to the byline and cross at every opportunity. No cutting inside, no tricks, just head down and go. Start very basic with him and see if we can build him up from there.

As said though, we'll probably just ship him out and buy somebody else. Too much like hard work this coaching and improvement malarkey.

Like Jamie Mackie. (keep it simple)But unfortunately doesn't have his work ethic.
Philips needs to be on the training pitch banging crosses in all day 24/7.
Hoddle needs to be on his case.
Get past his first man, cross.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2014 7:51]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024