Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Roberts to be released 08:28 - Oct 23 with 4181 viewsGloryHunter

Will we be seeing him at the Rangers?
Harry Roberts to be released on 21:31 - Oct 23 with 652 viewsCiderwithRsie

Harry Roberts to be released on 21:08 - Oct 23 by CHUBBS

If prisons worked as a deterrent there would be no crime in the USA.

Fair point.

But so was the post you referred to.

I'm not convinced that any punishment deters as such. If you're the sort of person who's going to commit a heinous crime, I don't think you weigh it up and reckon "oh, 10 years is too much but if they bring it down to 8 I might have a go though." Deterrence is in the head, the understanding that it's wrong to hurt others.

Sentences are for other things - mark of respect for the victims, to make people aware that the crime is wrong, to put the criminal out of the way, to try to rehabilitate..... None of them really work, but they're all we have.
Harry Roberts to be released on 22:59 - Oct 23 with 590 viewsGloryHunter

I'm with Willis on this one. When coppers shoot and kill "suspects" (eg Mark Duggan), or totally innocent people (eg Harry Stanley), they NEVER go to jail. And even the identity of the killer cop gets concealed forever., One rule for the cops and another for the rest.
Harry Roberts to be released on 23:07 - Oct 23 with 583 viewsMrSheen

Harry Roberts to be released on 22:59 - Oct 23 by GloryHunter

I'm with Willis on this one. When coppers shoot and kill "suspects" (eg Mark Duggan), or totally innocent people (eg Harry Stanley), they NEVER go to jail. And even the identity of the killer cop gets concealed forever., One rule for the cops and another for the rest.

I take your point, though I don't agree, but why did you put inverted commas around "suspects" for Mark Duggan? He wasn't Harry Stanley or De Menezes.
Harry Roberts to be released on 00:32 - Oct 24 with 539 viewsWanderR

Harry Roberts to be released on 21:08 - Oct 23 by CHUBBS

If prisons worked as a deterrent there would be no crime in the USA.

There are four legitimate uses of prison for convicted criminals:

Punishment
Deterrence
Incapacitation
Rehabilitation

The first three may be more appealing when however without the fourth prison is merely a delaying tactic.

Current location: OX10

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024