Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 19:21 - Oct 23 with 1045 viewsqprxtc

I've been reminded of this game after talking about Rangers dominating the game on Sunday yet still losing.

I'd totally forgotten about it but it was the most stupid game I think I've seen. it was a night game and I'd have been around 11 but I remember Rangers absolutely slaughtering Orient, missing chance after chance and getting hit on the break 4 times. My dad just shook his head on the way home, "how did that happen?"

Does anyone else remember this game?
Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 19:35 - Oct 23 with 1015 viewssexton

Very well indeed! It was mentioned in this thread back in May http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/112615#.VElJ9_nF-g
Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 19:36 - Oct 23 with 1014 viewseasthertsr

I was there! Absolutely battered them, out-classed them, p*ssed all over them and lost 4 -0! The most incredible scoreline I can remember. If you weren't there, just imagine Wembley but with Derby creating about 10 real chances and us winning 4-0!
Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 19:43 - Oct 23 with 1007 viewsDWQPR

Remember coming out of Brisbane Road and everyone saying it was the best we had played all season, and that with Stanley playing for the O's! Bernard Joy in his report in the Standard the next day claimed he had never seen a game like it. Does anyone remember the home game against Orient the same season, we were now situated down the School End as the Loft had lost its roof and for the first hour we were continually singing 'Bring back, bring back, bring back our Stanley to us, to us', then Bowlesy through a bit of play acting got Roeder sent off and for the remaining half an hour we jus continually hurled abuse at him!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 19:47 - Oct 23 with 1000 viewsrichranger

Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 19:36 - Oct 23 by easthertsr

I was there! Absolutely battered them, out-classed them, p*ssed all over them and lost 4 -0! The most incredible scoreline I can remember. If you weren't there, just imagine Wembley but with Derby creating about 10 real chances and us winning 4-0!

Was there too! Most one sided away game I've ever seen. I think we hit the woodwork about 6 times and had about 4 cleared off the line. We must have had 75% of the play at least. Orient had 5 shots in whole game - scored from 4 and the other hit the bar!
6-0 to us would have reflected our dominance. A quite amazing game.
Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 02:11 - Oct 24 with 893 viewsSonofNorfolt

Yep, Bernard Joy's very honest report in the Evening News the next day, unlikely to get something similar in Te Standard now, but you'll get huge coverage of non London teams, like Balotelli's Nobel Peace Prize potential half time shirt swap.

The next season we drew 1-1 at Brisbane Rd, with a rare Ian Gillard goal, but on a Sunday. Does anyone know why?

XTC/Liam, 'Senses' 'Nigel' etc now on iPod for future coach use. Not that they'll be one for a while!
Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 08:25 - Oct 24 with 847 viewsngbqpr

Remember it vividly - have regaled the kids with a match report many a time when they've spoken of unlucky / unbelievable defeats - that was the daddy

Also remember Stan's tarnished return and the Sunday 1-1. Can't remember why it was Sunday, but do remember being slightly embarrassed when we "took" a home end that in truth wasn't really there to be taken

Only wish my memory about what happened last week was as good

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 08:26 - Oct 24 with 846 viewsDWQPR

Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 02:11 - Oct 24 by SonofNorfolt

Yep, Bernard Joy's very honest report in the Evening News the next day, unlikely to get something similar in Te Standard now, but you'll get huge coverage of non London teams, like Balotelli's Nobel Peace Prize potential half time shirt swap.

The next season we drew 1-1 at Brisbane Rd, with a rare Ian Gillard goal, but on a Sunday. Does anyone know why?

XTC/Liam, 'Senses' 'Nigel' etc now on iPod for future coach use. Not that they'll be one for a while!

I remember that it was also an early kick off, possibly 11am. I believe the reason was no more than the fact that the law had changed in this country in February 1981 to allow sporting events to be staged on a Sunday. This game was played on 18th October 1981 and I remember that date well as it was the only time that I saw the Clash live, at the Lyceum that evening.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 09:37 - Oct 24 with 818 viewsKerryE

Yes, I was at that game with my Dad.

Just could not believe the result.
Login to get fewer ads

Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 10:13 - Oct 24 with 789 viewsDiscodroids

yep i was there that day, my mate tony ryan played for the junior orient side, it being our local club

must have been 13.

he used to get loads of free tickets off jimmy broomfield at the time.

im sure orient had ralph coates , the huge publican tommy taylor and the beast bill roffey in the side..players names you could set your watch too..'bill' and 'ralph'.cant remember if john chedozie played..

ralph had the greatest ever footballers haircut ...a kind of phil oakey without any hair if you know what i mean.

none of yer 'fabian' and 'ya ya' in those days .

we also got tickets i remember for orient vs chelsea that year ??.. which ended up 7-3 !!
[Post edited 24 Oct 2014 10:14]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Orient 4 Rangers 0 1980/81 on 10:17 - Oct 24 with 779 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I went to this game.
I have never seen such a one-sided game but it was us dominating. It was bizarre.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024