Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lamela's first goal for Spurs 22:18 - Oct 23 with 2105 viewsbosh67

Blimey

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2014/10/23/7051679/erik-lamela-rabona-g

Bit special that.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 00:56 - Oct 24 with 1978 viewsFredManRave

Wow! What a goal. Amazing skill and timing.

Rabona of the season.

ATAF.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 01:21 - Oct 24 with 1959 viewsRangersAreBack

The manager didn't look too impressed!
Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 01:41 - Oct 24 with 1948 views18StoneOfHoop

Who is this Ray Boner and when did he perform this footie trick the very first time?

Seriously, I've only come across Rabona for the first time in this thread,can someone please explain the derivation of this footie skill term?

the Taarabt nutmeg I prefer
the Roeder shuffle
the Cruyff turn
the Blanco hop
thr Higuita scorpion
the Captain Nazi collapse
...all these I'm familiar with but WTF does the term rabona come from?
[Post edited 24 Oct 2014 3:44]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 02:19 - Oct 24 with 1932 viewsNorthernr

No right foot then.
Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 03:02 - Oct 24 with 1915 viewsQPR_ARG

Not the first time he scores a rabona goal.

I have always rated him (ever since he started out at River Plate).

He was the one shining light in a team that finished 6th but still got relegated (due to the stupid relegation on point average across three seasons, that we have in Argentina).

Did well at Roma. Struggles a bit at Spurs, but who doesn't, right?
Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 10:05 - Oct 24 with 1751 viewsPommyhoop

''Seriously, I've only come across Rabona for the first time in this thread,can someone please explain the derivation of this footie skill term? ''

Apparently 'Rabona'' means to bunk off school in Spanish. So its a truant goal or street kid goal..
Thats my take on it anyway

Tenner says H mentions this goal in the pre Villa presser...

Smart goal tho..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 10:26 - Oct 24 with 1704 viewspaulparker

yes it was a good goal, but for SkySports news and everyone else who thinks football took off only in 2002 it is not the Greatest goal ever scored
infact I see them goals scored all the time down at the Power league on a Wednesday night
never in a million years will it beat Tricky Trevs overhead, nothing comes close

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 12:18 - Oct 24 with 1580 viewsR_from_afar

Lamela's - and Sinclair's - are great but I still prefer this one:

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 13:23 - Oct 24 with 1501 viewsQPR_ARG

Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 10:05 - Oct 24 by Pommyhoop

''Seriously, I've only come across Rabona for the first time in this thread,can someone please explain the derivation of this footie skill term? ''

Apparently 'Rabona'' means to bunk off school in Spanish. So its a truant goal or street kid goal..
Thats my take on it anyway

Tenner says H mentions this goal in the pre Villa presser...

Smart goal tho..

That is correct, mate.

Though it's a term that is no longer used by kids to refer to the act in which you don't attend to your classes even when everybody thinks you're there (especially your parents, obviously). You leave your home like any normal day. Dressed up for school and holding your books, etc, except you take a detour somewhere and skip it.

It wasn't even as widely used (at least here in Argentina) when I was going to high school. As we would use "Hacerse la rata" (do a thing rats would do and escape -would be my best attempt to translate that).

"Hacerse la rabona" was more used in previous generations to mine (I was born in 1977).

For us...it has always been a term related to football and to what Lamela did yesterday.

Where does it come from?

The magazine El Gráfico was the most influential publication when it comes to football in this part of the world. There was a striker who played for Estudiantes de La Plata who was called Ricardo Infante.

I guess I don't need to add a translation to what his surname means in English.

Well...turns out Infante was quite good at football and he scored a rabona goal. Only back then it wasn't know as rabona. So they did a cartoon on the player and the writer went with a headline which read: "El Infante que se hizo la rabona" (The Infant that did a rabona).

And so it stayed. This was in 1948.

The original definition of rabona according to the ruler of the Spanish language (La Real Academia Española) says:

rabona.
1. f. Am. Mujer que suele acompañar a los soldados en las marchas y en campaña.
2. f. ant. Entre jugadores, juego de poca entidad.
hacer ~.
1. loc. verb. coloq. Dejar de asistir al lugar de obligación y especialmente a clase.
Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

1. A woman who accompanies soldiers to marchs and in campaign.
2. Among players (gamblers), a game which is not very important.

To do (a rabona)
1. Not attending the place you're obliged to attend, especially class.

Do you like me more when I defend Adel or when I'm a complete nerd?
Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 14:06 - Oct 24 with 1455 viewsBluce_Ree

That goal was stunning. Easily top five ever. The only think that keeps it out of the top three is that it was unnecessary. He could have hit it with his right and arguably the technique made it unnecessarily harder. That said, who cares? It was amazing.

Behind Trev, that Fulham goal vs Palace last season and a goal that RVP scored for Utd a couple of years back that blew my mind.

Spurs were on fire yesterday to be fair.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Lamela's first goal for Spurs on 15:52 - Oct 24 with 1392 viewsBrazilNutR

Interesting history on the name ARG.. in Brazil they call it 'chaleira' which translates as kettle... not sure why

what would Big Ron call it? a Lollipop?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024