Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Canada 15:11 - Oct 24 with 5774 viewsBklynRanger

As tragic as a loss of human life is, and as pleasant as Canadians generally are as people, I hope that they and everyone one else soon shut ups about this 'Terrorism reaches Canadian shores' story.

One nutter kills someone, runs into the parliament buildings with a gun and it's cart blanche to have interviews in the street with 'resolute' members of the public about their 'Freedoms' and their 'way of life'.

A Canadian girl in work came up to me yesterday and told me her family live 'only 35 minutes away' from that incident in Ottawa. When I asked if she was concerned for their safety she actually thought I was serious!

It's the same down here with New Yorkers and Americans in general going on about their Freedoms and their toughness. Quite honestly, with the exception of the fire fighters on 9/11 I have never seen evidence of New Yorkers being in any way uniquely tough.

And now the Canadians are coming out with the same shit! People in countries that actually have it tough must be laughing their arses off at these North Americans and their cuddly rhetoric.

I know this may come across as an unreasonable rant but its just embarassing and irritating to witness.

[Post edited 24 Oct 2014 15:12]
Canada on 21:29 - Oct 24 with 1496 viewsVancouverHoop

Put simply this was a huge event because violent politically motivated acts of violence are unusual here. There's little context, or experience, to indicate how people – whether public, media, or police – ought to react. There's immediate shock, then we take our cues from elsewhere.

The last time it something similar happened was almost exactly forty-four years ago when Pierre Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act, effectively putting Montréal under Martial law for three months, after a government minister was kidnapped and assassinated. That too was perceived as an over-reaction, after the fact. But at the time it had overwhelming public approval.
Canada on 21:31 - Oct 24 with 1494 viewsqprwpg

Canada on 21:02 - Oct 24 by DylanP

In every nation some percentage of them are going to be idiots and some are going to be great. Why should Canada be any different?

As for the idea that it was no big deal, that is rubbish. The gunman got to within feet of the Prime Minister. That is a big deal. Not that I am completely disagreeing with Booklyn's original point -- but people get freaked out by all kinds of things, especially the first time it hits close to home. When Lord Mountbatten was killed I remember being completely freaked out. I didn't know him from Adam the day before, but the day after I was freaked out. It was just unexpected and the first time anything like that had happened. Sometimes you just have to allow people to have their momement of freaked-out-ness.

Of course, taking the piss oot of their silly accents is much more fun!!

Well, the accents are just fine - thank you very much. But if you have some time to kill watch this

Twitter: @qprwpg

Canada on 21:35 - Oct 24 with 1493 viewsqprwpg

Canada on 21:25 - Oct 24 by BklynRanger

Yeah, a couple of times. My friend's wife is from there - they live in Calgary now.

Yes other than seeing a laundromat that was also a bar (good idea I thought!) the town is indeed a shithole. When my friend started going out with his now wife she tried to tell me that Saskatoon was the 'restaurant capital of the world' because all the major chains 'piloted' their recipes on the local residents - WTF!

They do have nice lakeside cabins I'll give them that. And the countryside is nice, if very flat and uneventful. Is Manitoba like that?

Yes, very flat and I love it. You can see for miles and mile and miles. I just love the prairies.

I'm not surprised about the restaurant experiments - they do that in Winnipeg too, seems to represent the 'average' consumer market. It's all marketing research and it does make sense. Had a class about it way back in university, much forgotten now.

Calgary is a nice town, got a couple of friends there - would be #3 choice for living, after Winnipeg and Vancouver.

Twitter: @qprwpg

Canada on 22:07 - Oct 24 with 1468 viewsTheBlob

Canada on 20:03 - Oct 24 by Brightonhoop

Erm, Dresden for one. Bombing was not as prolonged as it was for London but the total carnage was complete and made Coventry look like a picnic. And rightly so. Stalin had been promised help in the East the previous year, and that the land invasion would commence in '43. Churchill owed him, Harris delivered.

Oh well,that's 30,000 lives consigned to the dustbin of history then.
Sorry to make a fuss.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Canada on 22:25 - Oct 24 with 1449 viewsCiderwithRsie

Canada on 21:31 - Oct 24 by qprwpg

Well, the accents are just fine - thank you very much. But if you have some time to kill watch this

Canada on 22:40 - Oct 24 with 1444 viewsTheBlob

Vive le Quebec libre.

You remember him,tall geezer,big hooter......

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Canada on 01:24 - Oct 25 with 1397 viewsqprcanadabc

Canada on 21:29 - Oct 24 by VancouverHoop

Put simply this was a huge event because violent politically motivated acts of violence are unusual here. There's little context, or experience, to indicate how people – whether public, media, or police – ought to react. There's immediate shock, then we take our cues from elsewhere.

The last time it something similar happened was almost exactly forty-four years ago when Pierre Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act, effectively putting Montréal under Martial law for three months, after a government minister was kidnapped and assassinated. That too was perceived as an over-reaction, after the fact. But at the time it had overwhelming public approval.

shocking response from our so-called friends on here...Canada is proud of our peacekeeping in modern times and is in shock by what has happened as incidents like this are rare on Canadian soil, but to be chastised for not really knowing how to react is very poor indeed. I am very proud of my English background and roots and equally as proud to be living in such a wonderful country. No place is perfect but i know which side my bread is buttered as they say.

Today was the day the poor soldier was taken back to his home in Hamilton down the 401 and 403 highways, dubbed for a few years now as the Highway of Heroes with thousands lining the way to pay respect for the fact that this man decided to take a job to represent his country and paid the ultimate sacrifice. This has been a terribly sad day here and no one really knows how to react while in the meantime our 'friends' on this website have decided it is a good time to have a dig at us.

Canada is a beautiful country which struggles with its identity due to the pull of the USA in one direction and the UK in another, always trying to please both in a strange way.

All the nasty remarks by all that wrote them will NEVER be forgotten by me, and especially at a time like this...I am glad we aren't used to these sort of attacks and everyone, everyone, is taking the events this week (as it is the second Canadian armed forces personel that has been murdered here in Canada this week) personally and feel an awful - AWFUL - grief today as is proper.

I am so grateful to be living on Vancouver Island and most of you would be too if you were here as well.

May peace and sanity reign rather the opportunistic digs at a country that always tries to be decent and kind.
Canada on 01:35 - Oct 25 with 1392 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Canada on 01:24 - Oct 25 by qprcanadabc

shocking response from our so-called friends on here...Canada is proud of our peacekeeping in modern times and is in shock by what has happened as incidents like this are rare on Canadian soil, but to be chastised for not really knowing how to react is very poor indeed. I am very proud of my English background and roots and equally as proud to be living in such a wonderful country. No place is perfect but i know which side my bread is buttered as they say.

Today was the day the poor soldier was taken back to his home in Hamilton down the 401 and 403 highways, dubbed for a few years now as the Highway of Heroes with thousands lining the way to pay respect for the fact that this man decided to take a job to represent his country and paid the ultimate sacrifice. This has been a terribly sad day here and no one really knows how to react while in the meantime our 'friends' on this website have decided it is a good time to have a dig at us.

Canada is a beautiful country which struggles with its identity due to the pull of the USA in one direction and the UK in another, always trying to please both in a strange way.

All the nasty remarks by all that wrote them will NEVER be forgotten by me, and especially at a time like this...I am glad we aren't used to these sort of attacks and everyone, everyone, is taking the events this week (as it is the second Canadian armed forces personel that has been murdered here in Canada this week) personally and feel an awful - AWFUL - grief today as is proper.

I am so grateful to be living on Vancouver Island and most of you would be too if you were here as well.

May peace and sanity reign rather the opportunistic digs at a country that always tries to be decent and kind.

Well said.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Canada on 02:23 - Oct 25 with 1385 viewsjamois

I'm genuinely sorry for any offence caused on my part. In truth I had no idea of any events in Canada - I don't look at the news at all, at least very rarely. I had a bit of a run-in with a canadian this week so my own remarks were coloured by that. I was having a bit of vengeful/provocative fun without thinking about it, and it was poor timing. Actually, I tired of countries and arbitrary lines in the sand a long time ago so I guess my remarks were pretty inconsistent with my own views even. And Vancouver Island is indeed an amazing place.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Canada on 02:24 - Oct 25 with 1385 viewsqprcanadabc

Canada on 01:35 - Oct 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Well said.

thanks Brian, I just wanted to follow up in accord and agreement with what Vancouver Hoop had posted and I was shaking and nearly in tears as I wrote it - thank you very much for your support on what has been a truly horrible week here

thank you very much again, means alot to me
Canada on 02:38 - Oct 25 with 1379 viewsqprcanadabc

Canada on 02:23 - Oct 25 by jamois

I'm genuinely sorry for any offence caused on my part. In truth I had no idea of any events in Canada - I don't look at the news at all, at least very rarely. I had a bit of a run-in with a canadian this week so my own remarks were coloured by that. I was having a bit of vengeful/provocative fun without thinking about it, and it was poor timing. Actually, I tired of countries and arbitrary lines in the sand a long time ago so I guess my remarks were pretty inconsistent with my own views even. And Vancouver Island is indeed an amazing place.

thank you Jamois, sincerely and appreciatively

Mark Whiteson
Canada on 03:31 - Oct 25 with 1364 viewsBklynRanger

Ack bollocks to you and your pious nonsense. You were about as far away from it in Victoria as everyone else.

And I, if you want to play it that way, remember you as being all pro-gun after a discussion regarding a horrendous event in America last year. So feel free not to forget.
Canada on 03:43 - Oct 25 with 1356 viewsqprcanadabc

Canada on 03:31 - Oct 25 by BklynRanger

Ack bollocks to you and your pious nonsense. You were about as far away from it in Victoria as everyone else.

And I, if you want to play it that way, remember you as being all pro-gun after a discussion regarding a horrendous event in America last year. So feel free not to forget.

you are kidding me right? pro-gun for self-defence has nothing to do with this at all as i do agree with the American constitution for what it represents.

You are deeply insulting, callous, unfeeling, and in need of a dose of humanity. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I am not getting into a war of words for you and you aren't the same species as me and others that see and realize that this loss of human life as a waste and is terribly sad.

And the event that happened in your country today is terrible too, unfortunately all too common that it has made you immune to the feeling of decent and civilised person like myself and I am sure others too.

You are a horrible disgusting person!!!!!
Canada on 03:53 - Oct 25 with 1349 viewsBklynRanger

Canada on 03:43 - Oct 25 by qprcanadabc

you are kidding me right? pro-gun for self-defence has nothing to do with this at all as i do agree with the American constitution for what it represents.

You are deeply insulting, callous, unfeeling, and in need of a dose of humanity. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I am not getting into a war of words for you and you aren't the same species as me and others that see and realize that this loss of human life as a waste and is terribly sad.

And the event that happened in your country today is terrible too, unfortunately all too common that it has made you immune to the feeling of decent and civilised person like myself and I am sure others too.

You are a horrible disgusting person!!!!!

Self defense makes sense when you're out in the middle of nowhere. I've been places where I can understand that. That wasn't your response the last time.

I said it was a waste of life and a tragedy in the first 8 words.

It's not my country, I'm only borrowing it. I come from a country that experienced actual terrorism for 30 years. Not what you and your countrymen (and women) have decided over the last few days to call terrorism. That was my point - its in the opening post.
Canada on 03:58 - Oct 25 with 1344 viewsstowmarketrange

There are some truly awful views on here.Two innocent men have been killed in a week in the same country,and all some can do is complain and mock them for showing grief.
I've never been to Canada and I don't know that many Canadians,but if the whole nation comes together to show their support for a fallen hero just doing his duty,it should be applauded,not ridiculed.
Canada on 04:01 - Oct 25 with 1283 viewsBklynRanger

Canada on 03:58 - Oct 25 by stowmarketrange

There are some truly awful views on here.Two innocent men have been killed in a week in the same country,and all some can do is complain and mock them for showing grief.
I've never been to Canada and I don't know that many Canadians,but if the whole nation comes together to show their support for a fallen hero just doing his duty,it should be applauded,not ridiculed.

I'm only ridiculing the reaction of the media and a lot of the Canadian public. The tragedy of the two men being killed is in the bit that one reads before one even clicks on this thread. ffs.
Canada on 04:08 - Oct 25 with 1276 viewsstowmarketrange

Canada on 04:01 - Oct 25 by BklynRanger

I'm only ridiculing the reaction of the media and a lot of the Canadian public. The tragedy of the two men being killed is in the bit that one reads before one even clicks on this thread. ffs.

So you are justifying ridiculing people showing grief by saying that you're only ridiculing some of them,and the media?That clears it up then.
Canada on 04:09 - Oct 25 with 1274 viewsCanadaRanger

Those who would attack one of us, attack us all.

http://www.argylls.co.uk/regimental-family/allied-regiments/

"The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise’s), is a Highland infantry unit of the Canadian Forces Army Reserve. The infantry is the main fighting branch of the Canadian Forces, and is the backbone of the army. The Regiment was gazetted in 1903 as the 91st Regiment Canadian Highlanders. In June 1905, by Royal Warrant, it became affiliated with The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders adopting, except for the cap badge, the full Highland dress of its parent regiment."
Canada on 04:12 - Oct 25 with 1272 viewsBklynRanger

Canada on 04:08 - Oct 25 by stowmarketrange

So you are justifying ridiculing people showing grief by saying that you're only ridiculing some of them,and the media?That clears it up then.

Good. I'm glad that's clears it up for you even if it's not the point.

It's not about the understandable grief for the 2 men who died, it's about the massive social/media response to it.

Yeah?
Canada on 04:19 - Oct 25 with 1263 viewsBklynRanger

Canada on 04:09 - Oct 25 by CanadaRanger

Those who would attack one of us, attack us all.

http://www.argylls.co.uk/regimental-family/allied-regiments/

"The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise’s), is a Highland infantry unit of the Canadian Forces Army Reserve. The infantry is the main fighting branch of the Canadian Forces, and is the backbone of the army. The Regiment was gazetted in 1903 as the 91st Regiment Canadian Highlanders. In June 1905, by Royal Warrant, it became affiliated with The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders adopting, except for the cap badge, the full Highland dress of its parent regiment."

"I am not an Ulsterman but yesterday, the 1st. July, as I followed their amazing attack, I felt that I would rather be an Ulsterman than anything else in the world." (Cpt Wilfred Spender, 2 July 1916)

Similarly relevant. Look, I can understand it's a first of some description, other than VancouverHoops informative post. It just seems a bit much to me. Maybe it's a matter of opinion I don't know.
Canada on 04:30 - Oct 25 with 1258 viewsCanadaRanger

Canada on 04:19 - Oct 25 by BklynRanger

"I am not an Ulsterman but yesterday, the 1st. July, as I followed their amazing attack, I felt that I would rather be an Ulsterman than anything else in the world." (Cpt Wilfred Spender, 2 July 1916)

Similarly relevant. Look, I can understand it's a first of some description, other than VancouverHoops informative post. It just seems a bit much to me. Maybe it's a matter of opinion I don't know.

A&SH = my Grandfather's regiment. Times change. When he was wounded by a religious extremist he had the means to shoot his attacker. If he hadn't, I wouldn't be here.

(and he was a QPR fan)
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 4:34]
Canada on 04:35 - Oct 25 with 1249 viewsBklynRanger

Canada on 04:30 - Oct 25 by CanadaRanger

A&SH = my Grandfather's regiment. Times change. When he was wounded by a religious extremist he had the means to shoot his attacker. If he hadn't, I wouldn't be here.

(and he was a QPR fan)
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 4:34]

Do you own a gun, Canada? If so do you keep it loaded by your side in the event that a mental degenerate may approach you?

(Fair play to your grandfather by the way)
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 4:35]
Canada on 04:37 - Oct 25 with 1244 viewsstowmarketrange

Canada on 04:12 - Oct 25 by BklynRanger

It's not about the understandable grief for the 2 men who died, it's about the massive social/media response to it.

Yeah?

The statements in the original post were pretty insensitive and would have upset some people that read them.Luckily,I've never been closely affected by any sort of violent act such as the Canadians suffered last week,but all people suffer and express grief in different ways.
We may have suffered from terrorist acts in the UK for the best part of 50 years,but I'm too young to remember the first incidents,but I'm pretty sure that a lot of people were shocked and stunned by it,in the same way that Canada is now,but without the access to social media that there is now,maybe their collective grief wasn't highlighted as much as it now is.
It could have been a lot worse for them as a nation if this hopefully lone lunatic had wiped out the entire government by taking a different direction in the parliament building.
As I said earlier,I 've never been to Canada,but maybe these 2 murders have changed the country for ever,,and certainly not for the better.
Canada on 04:40 - Oct 25 with 1240 viewsBklynRanger

"It could have been a lot worse for them as a nation if this hopefully lone lunatic had wiped out the entire government by taking a different direction in the parliament building."

Canada on 04:47 - Oct 25 with 1228 views18StoneOfHoop

Canada on 04:12 - Oct 25 by BklynRanger

Yeah?

Bklyn
In general I'm all for your ' #DontGetJumpy or lose your relaxesd freedoms society attitude recommendation to them lovely Canucks BUT It's not just a Canadian one-off I'm afraid, its web inspired ISIS copycatness. - the codeword/tip has gone out go for low-tech single policeman shoot attacks, that's the same modus operandi of the 5 North Kensington lads who had procured a shooter and moped and were scouting their targets the Shepherds Bush Road Police Station and White City Territorials South Africa Road. #GlobalConcern

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024