Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Canada 15:11 - Oct 24 with 5594 viewsBklynRanger

As tragic as a loss of human life is, and as pleasant as Canadians generally are as people, I hope that they and everyone one else soon shut ups about this 'Terrorism reaches Canadian shores' story.

One nutter kills someone, runs into the parliament buildings with a gun and it's cart blanche to have interviews in the street with 'resolute' members of the public about their 'Freedoms' and their 'way of life'.

A Canadian girl in work came up to me yesterday and told me her family live 'only 35 minutes away' from that incident in Ottawa. When I asked if she was concerned for their safety she actually thought I was serious!

It's the same down here with New Yorkers and Americans in general going on about their Freedoms and their toughness. Quite honestly, with the exception of the fire fighters on 9/11 I have never seen evidence of New Yorkers being in any way uniquely tough.

And now the Canadians are coming out with the same shit! People in countries that actually have it tough must be laughing their arses off at these North Americans and their cuddly rhetoric.

I know this may come across as an unreasonable rant but its just embarassing and irritating to witness.

[Post edited 24 Oct 2014 15:12]
Canada on 04:50 - Oct 25 with 1087 viewsBklynRanger

Canada on 04:47 - Oct 25 by 18StoneOfHoop

Bklyn
In general I'm all for your ' #DontGetJumpy or lose your relaxesd freedoms society attitude recommendation to them lovely Canucks BUT It's not just a Canadian one-off I'm afraid, its web inspired ISIS copycatness. - the codeword/tip has gone out go for low-tech single policeman shoot attacks, that's the same modus operandi of the 5 North Kensington lads who had procured a shooter and moped and were scouting their targets the Shepherds Bush Road Police Station and White City Territorials South Africa Road. #GlobalConcern

I know what you're saying, 18:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/police-shoots-kills-man-ax-queens-
Canada on 05:30 - Oct 25 with 1052 views18StoneOfHoop

Canada on 04:50 - Oct 25 by BklynRanger

I know what you're saying, 18:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/police-shoots-kills-man-ax-queens-

Aye Brookers, from the shoe bomber on Converts and the mentally ill seem the most extreme,vulnerable and expendable.#Cynical

BTW that was an extremely well-written clearand comprehensive report by the New York Daily News. #TopJournoTekkers .. Sub Standard, Torygraph,Daily Fail and The Scum take note and eat your heart out

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Canada on 09:33 - Oct 25 with 1018 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brooklyn's original post is very close to what some of my Canadian friends are saying. They too are using satire to make their point, so cut our friend Brooklyn a break.

They too are worried about this incident being hijacked by the War on Terror brigade. Harper sound a lot like Bush Jnr. at this point and it's genuinely worrying to my Canadian friends that this incident may be the catalyst that gets Canada aboard the Freedom Train.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Canada on 13:54 - Oct 25 with 994 viewsyankranger

I'm an American living in London for the past 10 years, which I think has sort of morphed me into a Canadian.

I usually don't bite on threads like this but some of this is one is a bit insensitive and for some reason has fcked me off.

You are taking a slant portrayed by the media as the view of entire people. That is not fair or right.

I wasn't here during the IRA bombings. I wasn't alive during the blitz and I wasn't there in Canada. But I'm sure all of those events provoke some emotion to those that were impacted by it or were close to it.

I was there for 9/11. I worked at the World Financial Center, which was next to the WTC. I was there the day it happened. I lost a friend that day that I grew up playing basketball with. I lost one of my best friends fathers. My father was a NYC police officer and was there that day - through some miracle he made it out alive but he lost many of his fellow officers that he had worked with for 30 years. He retired the next day and has never been the same from what he witnessed that day. I saw the people jumping from the building. I was there when the buildings came down. If you weren't there and didn't witness it first hand, you don't understand the emotions attached to that day.

I never once linked that event to my "freedoms" or my "toughness". What does that even mean? Utterly ridiculous comment. When I think of that day, I think of needless lives lost. All of the kids that lost a parent, or parents that lost their kid. Never how I was fighting for my freedom or how tough I was to be there. Just stupid comments.

For someone that is living there now, you should show it a bit of respect. Just as I do in this fine country. And believe me, there are a fair share of embarassing and irritating people here. That is unfortunately common across all cultures.
Canada on 14:39 - Oct 25 with 978 viewsHollowayRanger

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/21/canada-soldier-convert-islam-hit-an

just another accident in your eyes I guess?

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Canada on 14:43 - Oct 25 with 976 viewsBklynRanger

Canada on 13:54 - Oct 25 by yankranger

I'm an American living in London for the past 10 years, which I think has sort of morphed me into a Canadian.

I usually don't bite on threads like this but some of this is one is a bit insensitive and for some reason has fcked me off.

You are taking a slant portrayed by the media as the view of entire people. That is not fair or right.

I wasn't here during the IRA bombings. I wasn't alive during the blitz and I wasn't there in Canada. But I'm sure all of those events provoke some emotion to those that were impacted by it or were close to it.

I was there for 9/11. I worked at the World Financial Center, which was next to the WTC. I was there the day it happened. I lost a friend that day that I grew up playing basketball with. I lost one of my best friends fathers. My father was a NYC police officer and was there that day - through some miracle he made it out alive but he lost many of his fellow officers that he had worked with for 30 years. He retired the next day and has never been the same from what he witnessed that day. I saw the people jumping from the building. I was there when the buildings came down. If you weren't there and didn't witness it first hand, you don't understand the emotions attached to that day.

I never once linked that event to my "freedoms" or my "toughness". What does that even mean? Utterly ridiculous comment. When I think of that day, I think of needless lives lost. All of the kids that lost a parent, or parents that lost their kid. Never how I was fighting for my freedom or how tough I was to be there. Just stupid comments.

For someone that is living there now, you should show it a bit of respect. Just as I do in this fine country. And believe me, there are a fair share of embarassing and irritating people here. That is unfortunately common across all cultures.

You've misread my post, yank. I'm not linking my mockery of what people are saying about "freedom" and "toughness" to 9/11. In fact I gave that as the one example I remember when New Yorkers really were tough. And I can of course include the police who were there that day in that category. I was here that day too, I watched it happen, though not from as close as you and your dad, so my sincere sympathies.

Since you've been living in England for the last 10 yrs you are actually in a good position to confirm whether Canadians and Americans are indeed more 'free' than British and Irish people. Whether their 'way of life' is uniquely superior, and whether they possess a unique level of toughness. Obviously you have your own view on that but my view is no.

And I'm talking about just the social aspects of the event in Canada, not even the fact that, as Brian points out, all of this hoopla is going to be used and twisted for political purposes. Just like happened here.
Canada on 14:45 - Oct 25 with 974 viewsBklynRanger

Canada on 14:39 - Oct 25 by HollowayRanger

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/21/canada-soldier-convert-islam-hit-an

just another accident in your eyes I guess?

See 18 Stone's post and my reply.
Canada on 14:58 - Oct 25 with 962 viewsTheBlob

My old gran got blown up twice by the Luftwaffe,she began to think Hitler had got it in for her personally and the third land mine would have scribbled on the casing.."zis is for you Hilda schwein,stand me up at your peril."She carried a lump of shrapnel to her grave.the fact it had nothing to do with The Blitz was neither here nor there.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Canada on 15:02 - Oct 25 with 958 viewsNorthernr

Interjecting briefly. Lot of people I like on this thread. Are we achieving anything with this? Have we all made our point now?
Canada on 15:14 - Oct 25 with 944 viewsTheBlob

Canada on 15:02 - Oct 25 by Northernr

Interjecting briefly. Lot of people I like on this thread. Are we achieving anything with this? Have we all made our point now?

What's up - that Japanese rattly turned you down?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Canada on 15:33 - Oct 25 with 935 viewsBklynRanger

Canada on 15:02 - Oct 25 by Northernr

We're all going to be in agreement any minute now Clive. Just give me 5 more pages.*

(*please don't*...:)
Canada on 15:35 - Oct 25 with 935 viewsyankranger

Canada on 14:43 - Oct 25 by BklynRanger

You've misread my post, yank. I'm not linking my mockery of what people are saying about "freedom" and "toughness" to 9/11. In fact I gave that as the one example I remember when New Yorkers really were tough. And I can of course include the police who were there that day in that category. I was here that day too, I watched it happen, though not from as close as you and your dad, so my sincere sympathies.

Since you've been living in England for the last 10 yrs you are actually in a good position to confirm whether Canadians and Americans are indeed more 'free' than British and Irish people. Whether their 'way of life' is uniquely superior, and whether they possess a unique level of toughness. Obviously you have your own view on that but my view is no.

And I'm talking about just the social aspects of the event in Canada, not even the fact that, as Brian points out, all of this hoopla is going to be used and twisted for political purposes. Just like happened here.

The media can interview a few people, take a few quotes and paint the picture they choose. That isn't necessarily the point of view of the general population. That is my point. I like to skim through the daily mail website because they show some nice pictures of barely dressed women, but I don't think the politcal articles or quotes on there are the view of the general british population. You seem to be taking media-slant and applying it to everyone.

Regarding your question if North Americans are more free than those in the UK - I'd agree with you and say no. I still get taxed by the US every year even though I live abroad. The US is one of only two countries that do this. It's absurd. You can't drink outside a bar in nyc. It's an ultra-restrictive society. You can go to war at 18, you can vote for president at 18 but cannot legally buy a beer till you are 21.

Is their "way of life" superior? When I go back there now I don't really miss it, I don't want to move back really. My personal life is much better here. My work/life balance is much better. In nyc I was working 14 hours a day. That said, there are a lot of positive things about the culture in the US. Just as there are plenty of positives here.

Each country/culture has it's positive and negative points. It's good people and bad. I love this country as well as the US. I'm getting my citizenship here next year but keeping my US passport. But there are elements of both countries that drive me mad.
Canada on 16:48 - Oct 25 with 906 viewsBklynRanger

I really don't think I am just basing what I'm saying on media slant, Yank. Particularly in terms of what most people in America say about freedom, toughness etc. I do accept that as far as the Canadian thing goes there are also going to be a lot of people in Canada who have a measured view of things, which is why I said at the start that it may come across as a bit of an unreasonable rant.

But I agree with everything else you say so hopefully we can bury the hatchet. (Literally no pun intended...!...)
Canada on 20:33 - Oct 25 with 857 viewsjoolsyp

Interesting take on the shooting - more a failing of the social welfare system (in a country prized for its commitment to support the vulnerable) than of gaps in surveillance/security/terror laws.

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/Mulgrew+Ottawa+attack+reveals+gap
Canada on 23:51 - Oct 25 with 816 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"We're all going to be in agreement any minute now Clive. Just give me 5 more pages."

Love this. This could be the epitaph of so many of us. I can see it on so many of our gravestones.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 23:52]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024