Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
single malts 23:20 - Oct 24 with 4196 viewskingsburyR

This board us a wealth of knowledge (or a bunch of liars).

A good pal of mine is coming to stay and he loves single malts. He's no expert so I have a chance to impress.

I want to buy a bottle with a budget 40 -60 quid...Help!

Was going to buy a bottle of Highland park in sainsburys but will that impress? ??

Any suggestions welcomed.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

single malts on 23:28 - Oct 24 with 2205 viewssmegma

Fearless is your man. I remember a very long trip to Huddersfield by train with him extolling the virtues of single malt. It was a very long day with many a drink imbibed. We got relegated as well that day.
single malts on 23:30 - Oct 24 with 2200 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

You really can't go wrong with a bottle of Lagavulin, can get it at most supermarkets. Preferably the 16 year old.
single malts on 23:37 - Oct 24 with 2185 viewsPunteR

single malts on 23:30 - Oct 24 by Orthodox_Hoop

You really can't go wrong with a bottle of Lagavulin, can get it at most supermarkets. Preferably the 16 year old.

+1
I was recommended this by a mate who knows his malts. Waitrose sell it.
Very nice. Bout £40-£50.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

single malts on 23:40 - Oct 24 with 2174 viewsbobby

Macallan 10 year old is good..
but I would prefer a peaty Islay Malt..ie Laphroiag

http://twitter.com/#/bobbyosborne1

single malts on 00:24 - Oct 25 with 2142 viewskingsburyR

Ok let's up the ante.....

I'm looking for two quality single malts,.......

The heat and roughness from the highlands and the smoothness of a malt for the city folk.

Thanks in advance

single malts on 00:31 - Oct 25 with 2130 viewsBrightonhoop

Dont know my Malts so well, but there is a superb shop on Compton St.Soho (left off Shaftesbury Ave up Dean Street, past The French House, and left again at the first junction).
Go in and have a chat. Bought my father a bottle for his 65th and the man has never shown such gratitude and grace before or since. Nearly 20 years ago. You wont go wrong. Fck the supermarkets, go get some proper advice.
http://www.urbanpath.com/london/spirits-alcohol/vintage-house.htm
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 0:36]
single malts on 00:36 - Oct 25 with 2120 viewsqueensparker

Got into whisky recently after reading Ian Banks' book "Raw Spirit" when he took his best mates on a tour of all the distilleries (it's a great read, worth digging out)

Anyway after that I sampled a few and the best full-on Highland one I found was Laphroaig quarter cask - Laphroaig is the most extreme of the peaty whiskies, it tastes like the Scottish seaside, like the inside of your nose after walking your dog up there on a freezing day on the beach and then sitting in front of a good fire. It's amazing. You can get that one in Waitrose as well I think.

(and I'd echo Brighton above, head down to that shop if you can get there. They're brilliant and will sort you out)
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 0:45]
single malts on 01:12 - Oct 25 with 2090 viewsBklynRanger

single malts on 00:36 - Oct 25 by queensparker

Got into whisky recently after reading Ian Banks' book "Raw Spirit" when he took his best mates on a tour of all the distilleries (it's a great read, worth digging out)

Anyway after that I sampled a few and the best full-on Highland one I found was Laphroaig quarter cask - Laphroaig is the most extreme of the peaty whiskies, it tastes like the Scottish seaside, like the inside of your nose after walking your dog up there on a freezing day on the beach and then sitting in front of a good fire. It's amazing. You can get that one in Waitrose as well I think.

(and I'd echo Brighton above, head down to that shop if you can get there. They're brilliant and will sort you out)

I loved that description of the taste.

I love whisky/whiskey but I can't say I'm an expert on any of it. Bushmills single malt is a favourite of mine but I can't have it in the house too often because it's gone in one and a half goes. But that's not really the type you're looking for anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

single malts on 06:55 - Oct 25 with 2031 viewsPhildo

Heretical view alert - I have been a whiskey drinker for 20 years and I actually prefer blended varieties albeit the more expensive ones.
single malts on 06:56 - Oct 25 with 2031 viewsDWQPR

Bruichladdich is a superb malt which in the tongue gives you that initially peatiness then becomes more rounded. I absolutely love it. Edrador us another favourite of mine distilled in the smallest distillery in Scotland. Another place to recommend for advice is the Whisky Exchange near Southwark Cathedral and Borough Market, you can by your scotch and then have a great bit of lunch.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

single malts on 08:09 - Oct 25 with 2009 viewsCiderwithRsie

single malts on 06:55 - Oct 25 by Phildo

Heretical view alert - I have been a whiskey drinker for 20 years and I actually prefer blended varieties albeit the more expensive ones.

Perfectly reasonable view. So long as you go for the more expensive ones with a high ratio of malts to grains you can get a quality product. And the whole point of blending was not to make cheap whisky but to ensure a consistent flavour, getting the best elements of several malts.

That said, I like the extremes you get with single malts.

The whisky shop someone mentioned above is excellent, or at least was 15 years or so ago.
single malts on 08:43 - Oct 25 with 1987 viewslondonscottish

As Bobby says you can't go wrong with a Macallan for a smooth single. 10 yrs good 17 better although the latter may be a bit pricey

For the peaty one Laphroig is a good shout.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

single malts on 08:45 - Oct 25 with 1987 viewskingsburyR

This board never ceases to amaze me! Scribbling down a suggestions so far.

Any none Highland suggestions as I'm a bit of a Jessie and think I'd like a smoother (less burn your throat off) option.

Will by two so I can

A) check out the comparison myself and
B) impress the guest with single malt options

P.s got a thread on the go that has no mention of Adel or Harry. Remarkable!

single malts on 09:14 - Oct 25 with 1966 viewsShotKneesHoop

Try buying a bottle of anti freeze and a bottle of turps.

If he's from Glasgow, he won't know the difference from them and a single malt.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

single malts on 09:19 - Oct 25 with 1961 viewsToast_R

Slightly off cue,

I tried a Drambuie for the first time about a month ago. Now I don't mind the odd whisky here and there (Never mixed by the way) but generally I just stick to beer as it don't really do much for me same with most spirits really. My dad always told me to steer clear of them.

If anyone has ever read Danny Sugarman's book Wonderland Avenue, the part where after trying all manor of drugs through his young adult life, nothing ever took the edge off his inner anxiety problems until it was when someone passed him some heroin and from that moment he finally found his soul mate or so he thought. It would eventually destroy his life and those closest to him.

Not saying Drambuie has that effect obviously but it was the moment I discovered there is a spirit out there that I could get on with or is it really a Liqueur? I don't know but I know I like it. Bottle on the list for Christmas me thinks
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 9:24]
single malts on 09:21 - Oct 25 with 1955 viewsjohann28

single malts on 08:43 - Oct 25 by londonscottish

As Bobby says you can't go wrong with a Macallan for a smooth single. 10 yrs good 17 better although the latter may be a bit pricey

For the peaty one Laphroig is a good shout.

+1 for Macallan's
single malts on 10:58 - Oct 25 with 1908 viewsPieLout

I agree that Lagavulin & Laphroaig fine examples of Islay single malts.
but
Ardbeg is utterly magnificent.
single malts on 11:08 - Oct 25 with 1899 viewskarl

I'm not a whisky drinker but anyone who has drunk both the Orkney malts seem to prefer Scapa over Highland Park, much smoother by all accounts
single malts on 11:16 - Oct 25 with 1895 viewsTHEBUSH

single malts on 00:24 - Oct 25 by kingsburyR

Ok let's up the ante.....

I'm looking for two quality single malts,.......

The heat and roughness from the highlands and the smoothness of a malt for the city folk.

Thanks in advance

For a smooth malt, try 'Glenmorangie', imo can't go wrong.
single malts on 11:21 - Oct 25 with 1892 viewsHantsR

single malts on 00:36 - Oct 25 by queensparker

Laphroiag quarter cask is a good shout indeed it has a very strong taste - they actually recommend you dilute it with some water to fully bring out the taste and aroma (which I believe you have described very well).

I bought some in Waitrose a coupe of Christmases ago when it was on a great offer. Otherwise, like some posters here, I like the McAllan 10 or 17. I think you can detect the sherry cask flavour - very nice.

Anyone see the film "the Angel's share"?
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 11:21]
single malts on 13:55 - Oct 25 with 1842 viewsonlyrinmoray

Living in the main whisky producing area of Scotland I should be an expert but Im not
Depends on taste but Speyside Malts are the smoothest for us non experts, the Island west coast malts are very peaty and too strong for my palate

So Highland Park (Orkney ) Aberlour, Glenmorangie, Macallan or The Balvenie 12 year Doublewood which Im currently sipping are my recommendations

Loads of whisky tourists come up here to go round the distilleries Swedes Germans Japanese etc etc
single malts on 14:03 - Oct 25 with 1835 viewsBushman

single malts on 11:21 - Oct 25 by HantsR

Laphroiag quarter cask is a good shout indeed it has a very strong taste - they actually recommend you dilute it with some water to fully bring out the taste and aroma (which I believe you have described very well).

I bought some in Waitrose a coupe of Christmases ago when it was on a great offer. Otherwise, like some posters here, I like the McAllan 10 or 17. I think you can detect the sherry cask flavour - very nice.

Anyone see the film "the Angel's share"?
[Post edited 25 Oct 2014 11:21]

Yes!

Good film warm & funny and very un ken loach like.

Worth a watch.

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

single malts on 14:20 - Oct 25 with 1818 viewsstansleftfoot

Drinking Single Malts is the equivalent of a tour of Scotland, think of the locality and you'll understand the tastes, aroma's, and tones of the area the malts reflect.
Peat is the strongest characteristic where its combined with water the whiskey is made with. so the Island distilleries will give you varying levels of salt,brine, seaweed, peat, smokiness....these Malts I tend to add a small drop of water to, it loosens up the flavours and lets the density of flavours smooth out somehow.
The variation in geography gives you a huge choice of Whiskies, Lowlands, High Heather grouse moors, water running over peat and sand gravel river beds all lend their character....Island Malts after Dinner, Spey Malts before perhaps might be a rule.
It's fascinating and delicious, many head off to a 12 year old or 16 year Old Lagavulin first because it is such a heady taste experience. However there are many alternatives that are much more subtle and delightful.
So Islands Malts: peaty, seaweedy and almost Salty, Spey, fragrant, smooth, Macallan picks up a secondary tone from being kept in old sherry barrels, The old coal mining town of Cambeltown's remaining Distillery, Springbank combines a light peatiness with a unique distilling process to give the character of briny-ness, peat, almost smoked barley to produce a brilliant balance, with almost christmas flavours of pine, oranges, cinnamon.
For me this is a great starting point, buy it direct at around £50.00 for cask strength 12 Year old Springbank Single Malt....world class!
single malts on 14:31 - Oct 25 with 1817 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Really depends what you want to do, produce a bottle from a totally obscure distillery to confound him, while still being very palatable (Brora, Finlaggan, Benriach) or

Something a bit out of the ordinary but an exceptional dram, try one of the Highland Park (from Wick) Origins. The 15 year old is probably best fit for your brief.

One word of caution though, there is an awful lot of marketing and PR bullsh1t about Whisky (some would say there allways has been) and if you can't sample, sometimes it's best to just buy what you have tried and enjoyed
single malts on 14:41 - Oct 25 with 1803 viewsTheBlob

Stay away from anything coming out of Gruinard.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024