Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Video exposes street harassment in New York 19:03 - Oct 29 with 4314 viewsHollowayRanger

not much fun being a pretty girl

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29823870

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:33 - Oct 30 with 944 viewsKonk

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:15 - Oct 30 by daveB

how dare these people say hello to a woman walking down the street, lock the bastards up

If you’re walking through the countryside, you say hello when you pass someone, you don’t generally do it in cities, do you, as you’d be there all day. You can say there’s no harm in saying “hello” and checking someone out as they walk past, but as has been said, you can safely bet that none of these blokes do the same to strange men or elderly women walking past, and it does make a lot of women feel self-conscious and uncomfortable, especially the won’t-take-no-for-an-answer divs who walk/drive alongside women trotting out what they think is charming compliments, but in fact just shows them up as charmless tw ats. Why should my female friends have to walk a different way home to avoid being gawped at and commented on my a bunch of dickheads who think "Nice ti ts" is a compliment that women want to hear from a knob head stranger?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:40 - Oct 30 with 918 viewsdaveB

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:32 - Oct 30 by isawqpratwcity

if you can't find some of that behaviour susspect...

The fella walking alongside her is a bit odd but he doesn't actually do anything, amazed that this is news. Men find women attractive shocker and some of them tell women they like what they see. Hold the front page
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:45 - Oct 30 with 901 viewsKonk

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:40 - Oct 30 by daveB

The fella walking alongside her is a bit odd but he doesn't actually do anything, amazed that this is news. Men find women attractive shocker and some of them tell women they like what they see. Hold the front page

Dave, if some bloke was walking dead in line with your wife/girlfriend for a few minutes, not going faster, not slowing down etc, would you understand if that weirded her out a bit. The point isn’t that blokes have been shouting out “Nice ars e” for ever, it’s whether or not women should have to put up with it and whether women should be made to feel uncomfortable walking down the street. Do blokes who do this imagine they’re making womens' days when they say something like, “Yeah, you’d get it big time” when they walk past?

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:47 - Oct 30 with 896 views18StoneOfHoop

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:40 - Oct 30 by daveB

Think about it a little less complacently,Dave.

On the less poe-faced side,still love this Harry and Paul sketch :
[Post edited 30 Oct 2014 12:59]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:48 - Oct 30 with 891 viewsstevec

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:33 - Oct 30 by Konk

If you’re walking through the countryside, you say hello when you pass someone, you don’t generally do it in cities, do you, as you’d be there all day. You can say there’s no harm in saying “hello” and checking someone out as they walk past, but as has been said, you can safely bet that none of these blokes do the same to strange men or elderly women walking past, and it does make a lot of women feel self-conscious and uncomfortable, especially the won’t-take-no-for-an-answer divs who walk/drive alongside women trotting out what they think is charming compliments, but in fact just shows them up as charmless tw ats. Why should my female friends have to walk a different way home to avoid being gawped at and commented on my a bunch of dickheads who think "Nice ti ts" is a compliment that women want to hear from a knob head stranger?

Konk, when women are at an age where they complain about unsolicited compliments you may find that, when they reach a certain age, they complain about not receiving any unsolicited compliments.
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:50 - Oct 30 with 877 viewsDiscodroids

they all want it...

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:52 - Oct 30 with 872 viewsdaveB

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:45 - Oct 30 by Konk

Dave, if some bloke was walking dead in line with your wife/girlfriend for a few minutes, not going faster, not slowing down etc, would you understand if that weirded her out a bit. The point isn’t that blokes have been shouting out “Nice ars e” for ever, it’s whether or not women should have to put up with it and whether women should be made to feel uncomfortable walking down the street. Do blokes who do this imagine they’re making womens' days when they say something like, “Yeah, you’d get it big time” when they walk past?

I can see why she was freaked out by that and it was bizarre but nothing happened and she could easily have just gone into a shop to avoid him or crossed the road. I just find it odd what passes for news these days. Some men are prats, it's nothing new
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:55 - Oct 30 with 869 viewsKonk

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:52 - Oct 30 by daveB

I can see why she was freaked out by that and it was bizarre but nothing happened and she could easily have just gone into a shop to avoid him or crossed the road. I just find it odd what passes for news these days. Some men are prats, it's nothing new

Why should she have to do any of that? Why can't he not be a kno b instead? It's probably news because a lot of blokes don't think it's an issue, but a lot of women do and this is an attempt to highlight the issue from a woman's perspective.

Login to get fewer ads

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:56 - Oct 30 with 865 viewsPommyhoop

This thread reminds me of a little joke you can play on your Mrs.
Grab her from behind and say 'hey you wanna play the rape game?'
When she invariably struggles and tells you to f'ck off you tighten your grip and say into her ear .'Thats the spirit'

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:56 - Oct 30 with 864 viewsdaveB

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:55 - Oct 30 by Konk

Why should she have to do any of that? Why can't he not be a kno b instead? It's probably news because a lot of blokes don't think it's an issue, but a lot of women do and this is an attempt to highlight the issue from a woman's perspective.

because some people are knobs, not much you can do about it and they are best ignored
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:58 - Oct 30 with 853 viewsKonk

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:56 - Oct 30 by daveB

because some people are knobs, not much you can do about it and they are best ignored

Well maybe a few blokes have seen it and decided not to shout out "nice tits" next time a woman walks past them, in which case it was a worthwhile exercise.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 13:00 - Oct 30 with 848 viewsKonk

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:56 - Oct 30 by Pommyhoop

This thread reminds me of a little joke you can play on your Mrs.
Grab her from behind and say 'hey you wanna play the rape game?'
When she invariably struggles and tells you to f'ck off you tighten your grip and say into her ear .'Thats the spirit'

Sorry mate, but that's not funny on any level.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 13:03 - Oct 30 with 836 viewssimmo

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:52 - Oct 30 by daveB

Why raise the issue of anything, it's not as if anything will change by raising awareness and having people discuss it. You're right, its her that needs to change her psiren technique of walking down the street, flagrantly courting the attention of men. She should do what you said, after all there are no men on the other side of the road.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 13:06 - Oct 30 with 830 viewsKonk

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 13:03 - Oct 30 by simmo

Why raise the issue of anything, it's not as if anything will change by raising awareness and having people discuss it. You're right, its her that needs to change her psiren technique of walking down the street, flagrantly courting the attention of men. She should do what you said, after all there are no men on the other side of the road.

Alternatively, she could wear a burka or stay at home so as not to stir the animal instincts of these innocent souls.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 13:13 - Oct 30 with 812 viewsdaveB

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 13:03 - Oct 30 by simmo

If she wasn't making the video would she really have carried on walking if she felt uncomfortable. No matter what sex you are if some nut job is walking alongside you then you have 3 choices, carry on, tell the person to f off or walk away.
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 13:43 - Oct 30 with 733 viewsisawqpratwcity

do you blokes have daughters?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:14 - Oct 30 with 702 viewsAntti_Heinola

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 13:13 - Oct 30 by daveB

If she wasn't making the video would she really have carried on walking if she felt uncomfortable. No matter what sex you are if some nut job is walking alongside you then you have 3 choices, carry on, tell the person to f off or walk away.

Wow. It's been explained to you i think three times now dave and still you miss the point. I love your posts, you're commendably sensible, annoyingly sensible sometimes, in fact ;), but some of your views on 'bantz' and the treatment of women seems to me to be quite odd from such an obviously nice bloke.

Yes, she had choices, but the point of the video she made was to demonstrate that simply walking in a city for a young woman is often like running the gauntlet. I think that is quite an important news story actually, as it reflects society still being quite openly sexist and many men lacking respect for women in day to day life. While that's not exactly 'new' the banality of the sexism here, the fact that it's happening so often and with such casualness is certainly valid. The fact that you think that all that needs to be done is for the person being subjected to this should either just turn a blind eye or disrupt her own journey and day shows just how big the problem is in my opinion. Yes, as you say, some men are prats. Is it not up to the rest of us to perhaps point out that their behaviour is unacceptable rather than expect the woman to take action to deal with it? How will that solve the issue (not that it will ever be totally solved)?

Bare bones.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:26 - Oct 30 with 682 viewsrobith

Can't believe some of the comments here - "should take it as a compliment"

Got female friends who get harassed pretty much every time they leave their house on my own. One did a facebook status asking for people's experience and pretty much every single female friend I have has been harassed in some way from being followed home, cat called in the street to being punched in the face for "not smiling you mardy cow".

The woman from the video has subsequently been subject to rape threats. Recently a woman who dares to critique misogyny in computer games had to cancel her talk after men made threats on her life and turned up with guns.

It may not be all men, but it certainly is all women.
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:26 - Oct 30 with 680 viewsTheBlob

Who was operating the camera?Is it a chimp walking backwards?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:47 - Oct 30 with 648 viewsClive_Anderson

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:26 - Oct 30 by robith

Can't believe some of the comments here - "should take it as a compliment"

Got female friends who get harassed pretty much every time they leave their house on my own. One did a facebook status asking for people's experience and pretty much every single female friend I have has been harassed in some way from being followed home, cat called in the street to being punched in the face for "not smiling you mardy cow".

The woman from the video has subsequently been subject to rape threats. Recently a woman who dares to critique misogyny in computer games had to cancel her talk after men made threats on her life and turned up with guns.

It may not be all men, but it certainly is all women.

Does this really happen all the time in Britain these days? I'm not arguing it doesn't as I'm not living there any more, but it just seems so surprising.

As I said earlier (and got down voted for my troubles, as it is obviously not the done thing to deviate from the "correct" thought process about this for some reason) I spoke to some women about this and they said it has never been a problem for them personally.
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:50 - Oct 30 with 642 viewsdaveB

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:14 - Oct 30 by Antti_Heinola

Wow. It's been explained to you i think three times now dave and still you miss the point. I love your posts, you're commendably sensible, annoyingly sensible sometimes, in fact ;), but some of your views on 'bantz' and the treatment of women seems to me to be quite odd from such an obviously nice bloke.

Yes, she had choices, but the point of the video she made was to demonstrate that simply walking in a city for a young woman is often like running the gauntlet. I think that is quite an important news story actually, as it reflects society still being quite openly sexist and many men lacking respect for women in day to day life. While that's not exactly 'new' the banality of the sexism here, the fact that it's happening so often and with such casualness is certainly valid. The fact that you think that all that needs to be done is for the person being subjected to this should either just turn a blind eye or disrupt her own journey and day shows just how big the problem is in my opinion. Yes, as you say, some men are prats. Is it not up to the rest of us to perhaps point out that their behaviour is unacceptable rather than expect the woman to take action to deal with it? How will that solve the issue (not that it will ever be totally solved)?

I just don't think it's ever going to go away, some men will always think shouting at an attractive woman is cool or banter or whatever, it's been going on for so long and it's a lot better than it used to be, I remember back in the 90's walking around Ealing with a female mate who couldn't walk two yards without someone shouting get your tits out, so seeing a video where people are saying hello and have a nice day doesn't really seem to me to be harassment, although I agree the fellas following her was a bit creepy. When men shout this stuff out the less encouragement they get the better, just ignore them and they will soon get bored of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was that not in New York as well? I'd be surprised if the same happened over here unless the walk was past a lot of building sites.
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:51 - Oct 30 with 639 viewsrobith

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:47 - Oct 30 by Clive_Anderson

Does this really happen all the time in Britain these days? I'm not arguing it doesn't as I'm not living there any more, but it just seems so surprising.

As I said earlier (and got down voted for my troubles, as it is obviously not the done thing to deviate from the "correct" thought process about this for some reason) I spoke to some women about this and they said it has never been a problem for them personally.

All my female friends describe it as endemic. Even happens to my fiancee when I've been with her
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:56 - Oct 30 with 621 viewsClive_Anderson

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:51 - Oct 30 by robith

All my female friends describe it as endemic. Even happens to my fiancee when I've been with her

Well that completely sucks if so. Who exactly is doing it? Kids?
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:03 - Oct 30 with 602 viewsAntti_Heinola

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:50 - Oct 30 by daveB

I just don't think it's ever going to go away, some men will always think shouting at an attractive woman is cool or banter or whatever, it's been going on for so long and it's a lot better than it used to be, I remember back in the 90's walking around Ealing with a female mate who couldn't walk two yards without someone shouting get your tits out, so seeing a video where people are saying hello and have a nice day doesn't really seem to me to be harassment, although I agree the fellas following her was a bit creepy. When men shout this stuff out the less encouragement they get the better, just ignore them and they will soon get bored of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was that not in New York as well? I'd be surprised if the same happened over here unless the walk was past a lot of building sites.

it'll never stop, but if you ignore it they'll soon get bored?
Taken in isolation of course each incident is hardly 'harassment' but overall, on a daily basis? I still don't think you really get it dave. but fair enough.
I see this kind of thing in London all the time, and rarely get through a day without seeing some bloke in a car or van beep a woman so she'll turn round and he can check her out.

Bare bones.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:04 - Oct 30 with 599 views18StoneOfHoop

Cracking spot on comment from the original Buzzfeed thread:

Guys - Imagine it was you. As straight men, you're walking down the street and every 10 yards a gay guy you don't know, who's easily stronger than you, come's up to you and says, "Hey baby, nice ass!", "Damn!!", "Where are you going?", whistles at you like a dog, or stalks along side you, silently eying you up for (holy spit!!!!) 5 minutes!! All day, every day - regardless of how you dress or where you are, even when you keep your mouth shut and avoid eye contact. It doesn't matter if you're just going to get milk or you're on a date - it NEVER stops.

How would that make you feel? You don't think that would get tiresome after like 3 foo king minutes. Now imagine it was your whole life's experience from the age of like 13 onwards. Within that context, do you think you'd still be able to discern genuine compliments from the out-and-out harassers? Or that you should be expected to remain gracious and diffident about it - regardless of your disinterest in the men approaching you?

The harassment isn't just in the individual approach, but in the cumulative experience. Understand that when we approach a woman like this, it doesn't matter what our intention is - her experience is almost certainly the same - a negative one.
Within that context there are no selfless compliments - it ALL becomes harassment.

By approaching women we don't know in this way, we're also reinforcing the spitty idea that what really matters about a woman is how she looks - not her intelligence, not her aspirations, not her sense of humour - her looks. And that's really foo king depressing.

As men - why on earth would we WANT to make women feel uncomfortable in public - what could possibly be gained from that?" Robert Alexander
Unlike · Reply · 1,178 · 28 October at 20:55
110 Replies · 4 hrs

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024