Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Video exposes street harassment in New York 19:03 - Oct 29 with 4312 viewsHollowayRanger

not much fun being a pretty girl

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29823870

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:12 - Oct 30 with 768 viewsTheBlob

I used to get beeped at when I had long hair.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:16 - Oct 30 with 754 viewsClive_Anderson

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:12 - Oct 30 by TheBlob

I used to get beeped at when I had long hair.

Well you were asleep in the middle of the road.
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:20 - Oct 30 with 741 viewsTheBlob

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:16 - Oct 30 by Clive_Anderson

Well you were asleep in the middle of the road.

That maybe so but it did one's ego a power of good.
A quick toss of the head to get rid of the gravel,a slight sway of the hips and it was off again to torment and tease.I steadfastly refused to get my moobs out - I had some standards.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:28 - Oct 30 with 720 viewssaxbend

Speaking of suspect behaviour, where are all the white men in this video?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/10/29/catcalling_video_hollaback_s_loo

It seems that they've all been edited out. In other words, they edited out all the men either she, or her intended viewership finds attractive, because it's not harassment if it's someone attractive saying it.
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:45 - Oct 30 with 695 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:04 - Oct 30 by 18StoneOfHoop

Cracking spot on comment from the original Buzzfeed thread:

Guys - Imagine it was you. As straight men, you're walking down the street and every 10 yards a gay guy you don't know, who's easily stronger than you, come's up to you and says, "Hey baby, nice ass!", "Damn!!", "Where are you going?", whistles at you like a dog, or stalks along side you, silently eying you up for (holy spit!!!!) 5 minutes!! All day, every day - regardless of how you dress or where you are, even when you keep your mouth shut and avoid eye contact. It doesn't matter if you're just going to get milk or you're on a date - it NEVER stops.

How would that make you feel? You don't think that would get tiresome after like 3 foo king minutes. Now imagine it was your whole life's experience from the age of like 13 onwards. Within that context, do you think you'd still be able to discern genuine compliments from the out-and-out harassers? Or that you should be expected to remain gracious and diffident about it - regardless of your disinterest in the men approaching you?

The harassment isn't just in the individual approach, but in the cumulative experience. Understand that when we approach a woman like this, it doesn't matter what our intention is - her experience is almost certainly the same - a negative one.
Within that context there are no selfless compliments - it ALL becomes harassment.

By approaching women we don't know in this way, we're also reinforcing the spitty idea that what really matters about a woman is how she looks - not her intelligence, not her aspirations, not her sense of humour - her looks. And that's really foo king depressing.

As men - why on earth would we WANT to make women feel uncomfortable in public - what could possibly be gained from that?" Robert Alexander
Unlike · Reply · 1,178 · 28 October at 20:55
110 Replies · 4 hrs

That saves me posting. Couldn't have done the subject justice like that person did.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 16:21 - Oct 30 with 669 viewsWestbourneR

Just got to comment on this. 18stone, Konk, McCarthy and others with the same comments I salute you. Thank god there are some decent intelligent people out there

The others including especially 'saxbend' who posted that foul stupid bile from that nasty borderline rapsist jock - you need to kin wake up. It is not a compliment in anyway to behave that way to woman walking in the street. Absolutely kin DISGUSTING that you think it is. You're from the bloody dark ages.

I find it utterly depressing. Let's not beat around the bugs it's sexual intimidation from men who've be brought up totally incorrectly. Ask any girl and they will tell you this sort of hassle is more and more common and it's downright nasty.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 16:27 - Oct 30 with 655 viewsdaveB

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:03 - Oct 30 by Antti_Heinola

it'll never stop, but if you ignore it they'll soon get bored?
Taken in isolation of course each incident is hardly 'harassment' but overall, on a daily basis? I still don't think you really get it dave. but fair enough.
I see this kind of thing in London all the time, and rarely get through a day without seeing some bloke in a car or van beep a woman so she'll turn round and he can check her out.

I do get it but must be oblivious to it as I never notice it these days
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 17:19 - Oct 30 with 619 viewsBklynRanger

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 15:28 - Oct 30 by saxbend

Speaking of suspect behaviour, where are all the white men in this video?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/10/29/catcalling_video_hollaback_s_loo

It seems that they've all been edited out. In other words, they edited out all the men either she, or her intended viewership finds attractive, because it's not harassment if it's someone attractive saying it.

White men? So you're saying that she couldn't find a black or latino man attractive?

I think your couple of views so far are a bit simple, Saxbend to put it politely.

But saying that, it does like quite a few of those comments are in certain areas where there would be a concentration of comments. For example, it looks like at least 3 of them came from one section along 125th St in Harlem.

Regardless of where it happened though, you and everyone else saying all this 'oh it's just a nice compliment'stuff are coming across as cave people.
Login to get fewer ads

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 17:33 - Oct 30 with 607 viewsTheBlob

I see a bunch of numpties trying to get their boats on camera,carte blanche to becoming a complete arse.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 17:52 - Oct 30 with 577 viewsWesty75

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 12:56 - Oct 30 by Pommyhoop

This thread reminds me of a little joke you can play on your Mrs.
Grab her from behind and say 'hey you wanna play the rape game?'
When she invariably struggles and tells you to f'ck off you tighten your grip and say into her ear .'Thats the spirit'

Knob
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 18:17 - Oct 30 with 535 viewsizlingtonhoop

People have the right to go about their business in peace, I'm certain. What a pain in the Aris to be "complimented" every time one goes to the shop for a can of beans.

I recently listened to disabled people (on the radio) talking about horrendous things said and done to them just as they were going about their every day business, and this vid is precisely the same thing.

I am lucky enough to be neither beautiful or unusual enough to be called out whenever I leave the house - in fact as Disco noted in another thread recently (or was it this one?) middle-aged-male invisibility kicked in some time back, - but oh what a pain in the arse it must be.

And as Bluce pointed out each of the people that calls out a pretty girl or a fatty think they are the first one EVER to point it out! Leave people be - unless they've got Samsung on their shirt....
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 18:33 - Oct 30 with 517 viewsTheBlob

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 18:17 - Oct 30 by izlingtonhoop

People have the right to go about their business in peace, I'm certain. What a pain in the Aris to be "complimented" every time one goes to the shop for a can of beans.

I recently listened to disabled people (on the radio) talking about horrendous things said and done to them just as they were going about their every day business, and this vid is precisely the same thing.

I am lucky enough to be neither beautiful or unusual enough to be called out whenever I leave the house - in fact as Disco noted in another thread recently (or was it this one?) middle-aged-male invisibility kicked in some time back, - but oh what a pain in the arse it must be.

And as Bluce pointed out each of the people that calls out a pretty girl or a fatty think they are the first one EVER to point it out! Leave people be - unless they've got Samsung on their shirt....

As brother/carer to a badly disabled brother I can vouch for this historically.Some of the comments and attitudes beggared belief.I had to "correct" individuals on the odd occasion.
Having said that,touting a camera in the public domain attracts more than the fair share of nutters - witness transfer deadline day for example.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 19:11 - Oct 30 with 491 viewsBilly_Kershaw

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 10:56 - Oct 30 by simmo

There's a girl I know that moved over here from Spain and she couldn't work out why she wasn't getting cat calls and men complimenting her walkin down the street etc. In Spain it's constant apparently, she thought there was somethign wrong with her.

I think it's the way of things in some places but some people, like that guy that walked alongside the girl in the video, take it too far. It makes the genuinely nice and complimentary people seem like creeps too, which is a shame. Then again, who goes on a 10hr walk with a face like a slapped arse?

I think if this was just an occasional occurrence it would be much easier to deal with than if it happens to women there every day consistently.

Never use one or two words when a couple of thousand will easily do
Poll: REVISED EXPECTATIONS - Where will QPR finish this season?

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 19:21 - Oct 30 with 482 viewsBilly_Kershaw

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:26 - Oct 30 by TheBlob

Who was operating the camera?Is it a chimp walking backwards?

'Arry was filming it so he could put it on the Twitter...

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 19:29 - Oct 30 with 476 viewsBilly_Kershaw

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 14:50 - Oct 30 by daveB

I just don't think it's ever going to go away, some men will always think shouting at an attractive woman is cool or banter or whatever, it's been going on for so long and it's a lot better than it used to be, I remember back in the 90's walking around Ealing with a female mate who couldn't walk two yards without someone shouting get your tits out, so seeing a video where people are saying hello and have a nice day doesn't really seem to me to be harassment, although I agree the fellas following her was a bit creepy. When men shout this stuff out the less encouragement they get the better, just ignore them and they will soon get bored of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was that not in New York as well? I'd be surprised if the same happened over here unless the walk was past a lot of building sites.

Which do you think will happen - that you don't think it's ever going to go away or that they will soon get bored of it?

I think most of us on here have been in situations where we have felt threatened.

This seems to be the female equivalent.

I wouldn't like to have to go through that every day.

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 19:36 - Oct 30 with 463 viewsBilly_Kershaw

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 18:17 - Oct 30 by izlingtonhoop

Yep, some people with learning disabilities are verbally abused on the street for no reason, "Hate crime"...

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 19:38 - Oct 30 with 460 viewsBilly_Kershaw

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 18:33 - Oct 30 by TheBlob

As brother/carer to a badly disabled brother I can vouch for this historically.Some of the comments and attitudes beggared belief.I had to "correct" individuals on the odd occasion.
Having said that,touting a camera in the public domain attracts more than the fair share of nutters - witness transfer deadline day for example.

I assumed that the camera was concealed?

I don't think people would have called out if they knew they were being filmed...(or they would have had a go at the person filming...)

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 19:39 - Oct 30 with 458 viewsWesty75

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 19:11 - Oct 30 by Billy_Kershaw

I think if this was just an occasional occurrence it would be much easier to deal with than if it happens to women there every day consistently.

That kind of behaviour combined with the fact that male on female rape/sexual assault happens pretty bloody regularly would be enough to make you pretty edgy when exposed to strangers saying sh*t to you in the street, and pretty bloody pissed off when it goes on all the time and makes you feel unsafe (in addition to the irritation factor).
Speaking as a man I can't imagine how it would feel knowing that I couldn't, for example, walk down a deserted country lane alone, or even somewhere like a quiet area of Richmond park or wherever without feeling slightly vulnerable.
So those saying "harassment happens and will always happen" are copping out. What is needed is for blokes to actually stand up and call harassment out when we see it, behaviour can change, it just takes a collective effort. Same as if you hear someone shouting racist sh*t at the Rangers. We've all got mothers, wives, gf's, daughters.
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 21:53 - Oct 30 with 393 viewsdaveB

Video exposes street harassment in New York on 19:29 - Oct 30 by Billy_Kershaw

Which do you think will happen - that you don't think it's ever going to go away or that they will soon get bored of it?

I think most of us on here have been in situations where we have felt threatened.

This seems to be the female equivalent.

I wouldn't like to have to go through that every day.

I think you will always get men, especially when in groups, making comments towards attractive women walking down the street but one of the ways to deal with it is to ignore them and the vast majority who are probably just trying to look big in front of mates will soon not bother next time they see the same girl.

Perhaps it is a bigger issue than i realise but i've never been to new york so no idea what it's like over there, all i can say is from my experience and i know from the women i work with and know outside work none of them every mention this kind of thing happening all of the time. Perhaps it does happen all the time i just haven't personally noticed
Video exposes street harassment in New York on 21:58 - Oct 30 with 392 viewsHollowayRanger

I live in a quite area and when walking home at night there are very few people about I always try to cross the road if walking behind a woman as you can almost sense the fear that they have as you catch up to them (me being a fast walker)

we all like to look at a pretty woman there would be something wrong with us if we didn't but that doesn't give us the right to chase them down the road and harass them

the tube is a terrible place for women during rush hours

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024