Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery 23:12 - Oct 30 with 1078 viewsrichranger

Just been looking at some of my old programmes from the 84-85 season. What a weird season that was! Venables had gone to Barcelona. We wanted either John Lyall or David Pleat to take over - but ended up with Alan Mullery!!
The start of the season was so strange - we beat a great Forest side 3-0, one of the best passing displays by a QPR team I've ever seen. Next week we go to Spuds and lose 5-0 - with Clive Allen running us ragged. We beat Partizan 6-2 at home (well Highbury - EUFA wouldn't let us play on plastic) and then lose to them 4-0 away. I think we are still the only team to win a euro leg by 4 goals and go out. In the middle of this we had the 5-5 with Newcastle, after being 4-0 down at half time!
Mullery was on a hiding to nothing - Venables was like a god at QPR, and even when QPR were playing well, we sang 'Terry Venables Blue and White Army'.
Mullery was gone by Christmas, and good old Frank Sibley took over for the rest of the season - and almost got us relegated.
Strange Days indeed
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 23:43 - Oct 30 with 1055 viewsAndyB

30 years ago? You b'stard. I am old.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 23:50 - Oct 30 with 1052 viewsthemodfather

that was the mullery era..win 5-0 one game, lose 5-0 the next!!...we had some great flair players then...ian stewart! he chipped one in v stoke in a 6-1 win from the semi circle (or near it)
little chance of fans getting to iceland and the hostile belgrade.
i loved it, on the west paddock TERRACE...
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 05:35 - Oct 31 with 1015 viewsWatfordR

There should be an automatic ban for anyone coming on here and mentioning the "M" word.

Worst manager I've ever seen at Rangers. Ruined a team capable of winning the league.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 09:55 - Oct 31 with 917 viewsSydneyRs

Wasn't the 5-5 the week after the 5-0 drubbing at Spurs? An unforgettable game, I remember well how devastated the away end looked. Quite a few QPR left at half time, have they ever forgiven themselves?

Did you know that Celtic also drew 6-6 with Partizan Belgrade in a European tie and went out on away goals? In their case they won 5-4 at home after losing 2-1 away.

I recall Mullery getting the job and thinking he's only ever relegated teams. He would have relegated us if we hadn't sacked him. Awful manager.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 10:11 - Oct 31 with 904 viewsClive_Anderson

He also managed to turn large crowds at Palace in the 70s to a few thousand because their supporters hated him so much.

Would be a different picture in London football if it wasn't for that idiot.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 10:18 - Oct 31 with 900 viewsQPR1882

30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 09:55 - Oct 31 by SydneyRs

Wasn't the 5-5 the week after the 5-0 drubbing at Spurs? An unforgettable game, I remember well how devastated the away end looked. Quite a few QPR left at half time, have they ever forgiven themselves?

Did you know that Celtic also drew 6-6 with Partizan Belgrade in a European tie and went out on away goals? In their case they won 5-4 at home after losing 2-1 away.

I recall Mullery getting the job and thinking he's only ever relegated teams. He would have relegated us if we hadn't sacked him. Awful manager.

They kept the bars open in the upper loft way into the 2nd half because because there was so many staying down having a beer, I think I ventured back up just before we scored our 3rd.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 19:14 - Oct 31 with 822 viewsHayesender

Wasn't his last game a 2-0 Tuesday/Wednesday night game vs Stoke?

For some reason I sat in the upper loft for the first time ever that game. Always stood in the west paddock.

Learnt of Mullerys fate at school assembly the next morning

Poll: Shamima Beghum

30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 19:20 - Oct 31 with 814 viewsBrixtonR

30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 19:14 - Oct 31 by Hayesender

Wasn't his last game a 2-0 Tuesday/Wednesday night game vs Stoke?

For some reason I sat in the upper loft for the first time ever that game. Always stood in the west paddock.

Learnt of Mullerys fate at school assembly the next morning

Yeah it was. We lost 0-4 at Leicester on the Saturday before and the whole end (OK all 500 of us) was singing Mullery Mullery you're not fit to wipe my arse or You have wreecked our team Mullery Mullery

I remember all the papers couldn't believe we sacked him after a win but it was diabolical and so were Stoke

Sad statto fact was at time the Stoke game was our lowest ever top division crowd of 8,043. I think we beat it against Coventry in 87-88 on the Christmas party Friday in December. I should get out more
Login to get fewer ads

30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 19:59 - Oct 31 with 798 viewsBeauRanger

Dreadful manager, I saw an interview with Peter Hucker once saying that Mullery wasn't aware of the away goals rule for European games.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 21:20 - Oct 31 with 763 viewsSydneyRs

30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 19:20 - Oct 31 by BrixtonR

Yeah it was. We lost 0-4 at Leicester on the Saturday before and the whole end (OK all 500 of us) was singing Mullery Mullery you're not fit to wipe my arse or You have wreecked our team Mullery Mullery

I remember all the papers couldn't believe we sacked him after a win but it was diabolical and so were Stoke

Sad statto fact was at time the Stoke game was our lowest ever top division crowd of 8,043. I think we beat it against Coventry in 87-88 on the Christmas party Friday in December. I should get out more

I was at that Stoke game. We were awful but not even Mullery could make us bad enough not to beat what was an utterly dreadful Stoke team that season.

Despite the win the crowd, what there was of it, spent the game calling for Mullery's head. Soon after he was thankfully gone.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 21:44 - Oct 31 with 742 viewsW12SG2

I made to 40 games that season - a personal record. Lost every away game in the league apart from Stoke and got done by DOncaster in the cup. Remember Leicester clearly - 'All we are saying is sack Mullery' to 'Give peace a Chance'. Had a laugh all the same. Anyone else on here in that transit van after Coventry away? Bit off more than we could chew there.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 22:27 - Oct 31 with 717 viewsQPR1882

I was in the car behind the ( well about four cars back ) van.

Did not have a clue what was going on but as I recall the back doors got ripped open while we were sitting in traffic and I recall a pair of legs kicking out the back at those trying to get in. Was told in no certain terms to stay the fck there.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 23:28 - Oct 31 with 697 viewshoopsa

Mullery will always bring a happy memory for me. The 4-0 loss at Leicester was my first game watching the Hoops, and I loved it - I was hooked. Set the bar low.

Can still remember being in that end of terrace behind the goal singing 'Offside, offside - offside, offside'.
30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 23:32 - Oct 31 with 694 viewsBrixtonR

30 years ago - the good, the bad and the Mullery on 21:44 - Oct 31 by W12SG2

I made to 40 games that season - a personal record. Lost every away game in the league apart from Stoke and got done by DOncaster in the cup. Remember Leicester clearly - 'All we are saying is sack Mullery' to 'Give peace a Chance'. Had a laugh all the same. Anyone else on here in that transit van after Coventry away? Bit off more than we could chew there.

Ha Ha had forgotten about that chant.

Me too I went to all bar 6 games (league & cup) that year, Of course the games I missed included the 2-0 win at stoke, win away at Reykjavik, 0-0 at WBA and win at York. At least I missed the Donny debacle - I went to watch Millwall instead they drew 1-1 with Palace scoring in the last minute. I have to say I enjoyed the Millwall cup run that year was far less nerve racking than watching Rangers. It'd be good if we could do to them what Millwall done in that 4th round game all those years ago. I still dream that Jonny Byrne put that chance away against the Scum in the 2-2 home draw when he ran round every Chelsea player about 3 times from the half way line and then somehow missed an open goal.

We did win 3-1 away at West Ham on New Years day though, I still remember Micky Fillery's cross field pass for one of our goals.

Coventry away now that was s*** lost 3-0 and had about 350 in a massive uncovered seated end from what I remember. And it rained - probably. Transit van story sounds interesting lol Do you remember Ipswich away in the cup ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024