Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? 12:55 - Nov 20 with 4871 viewsrunningman75

Heard on the news today, that last Friday there was a record number of users on the London underground. I travel regularly around London and notice more often that English is a more uncommon language. My great grandparents were immigrants to the UK but their children all spoke English.
I used to take the liberal viewpoint of diversity being beneficial but when I see people selling the big issue and others not contributing to society think we need to have an Australian type points system and visa system rather then openly letting everyone into the country. I could not support UKIP as they have poor policies in terms of the NHS and other policies but feel the country is reaching breaking point and many more people will be looking towards UKIP. Immigration is not just the natural place for the far right any more.
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 13:27 - Nov 20 with 2226 viewspomanjou

It's certainly going to be a major factor. Most people should be able to recognise that almost all the problems in the infrastructure of country are attributable to an excess of immigration into a fixed space which limits development. This is without taking account of the fact that far too many of these newcomers wish to impose their ancient practices and beliefs on the natives and have no intention of assimilating into a British way of life.

Nothing wrong with controlled immigration of desirables but when it is the unfettered Blair/EU model it's completely mad.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:07 - Nov 20 with 2173 viewsJuzzie

I think we really need to be careful here as this thread will go the way of others!

I think they key word here, and already used, is 'controlled'.

From my point of view I do not have and never have had any problems with controlled immigration. If people want to come here and work, pay taxes, contribute to society etc then they are more than welcome.

It's the ones that offer nothing and yet take everything that are the problem. What are they here for other than to take? What do they offer in return?
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:15 - Nov 20 with 2151 viewsW7Ranger

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:07 - Nov 20 by Juzzie

I think we really need to be careful here as this thread will go the way of others!

I think they key word here, and already used, is 'controlled'.

From my point of view I do not have and never have had any problems with controlled immigration. If people want to come here and work, pay taxes, contribute to society etc then they are more than welcome.

It's the ones that offer nothing and yet take everything that are the problem. What are they here for other than to take? What do they offer in return?

Agreed Juzzie.

But not only that, all our public services are stretched beyond belief.

Hospitals can't cope, schools can't cope, not enough Housing. It's got out of "control"!
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:23 - Nov 20 with 2121 viewsDiscodroids

i suspect for many yes it is, and for others not at all.

another splendid hatchet job on ukip by the evening standard last night, just as they done the night before the euro election and clacton by election.

thanks for making it the hatrick.it will be our pleasure to collect the match ball sometime tomorrow morning on the playing fields of rochester.

'a joke party for the less educated , white working class middle aged voter.' Oh dear , will you ever learn...i think its morrisey's sweet tender lament that springs to mind .."the more you ignore me..the closer i get."

imagine the evening standard using that term to describe the intelligence and ethnicity of people , of say, the black panthers..they would be sharing a cell with man mountain levi bellfield for a rom com and a box of milk tray quicker than a phone hacking journo gets beheaded for hugh grants amusement , while the birmingham police today try to protect those mens identities in court for sexual 'grooming' of minors.

sitting in pious judgement from their dinner parties in islington , of a nomadic tribe under the threat of extinction by big game hunter , little horn blairs hunting party , armed with blunderbuss and buckshot for white working class undesirables called bert and flo..

both sides left and right can throw stats around on immigration,and its positive/negative effects , but its what you see, live, breathe, walk , talk , smell and shit that exists ten yard in front of your face everyday 24/7.

at the very least we can talk about it now , openly ..

in any case, i firmly believe not one of the major three parties would even entertain the notion of discussing immigration if it wasnt for the presence of the pesky UK independence party.

and at the very least, i thank them for that.

"I was born by the river in forest gate
Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since,
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will....."

thanks Sam, that wonderful old song of yours might need updating next may.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2014 14:48]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:38 - Nov 20 with 2089 viewsElHoop

The next election will be interesting for sure. It's shaping up as the messiest election ever. The government claims that the economy is growing but that's probably because the population is growing at the same speed and few people are doing any better than holding their own in terms of a standard of living, if they're doing that well. Immigration definitely a big factor but probably not as big as the more general feeling that the three main parties have either lost touch with what people are thinking, or they simply don't care. There's likely to be chunks of Liberals, Ulster Unionists or whatever, SNP loose cannons from north of the border aimed south, and UKIP, between them controlling the balance of power. How they sort that one out I don't know. Also, nobody will be knowing which MPs can vote for what any more. I could type all day on what a mess it is and how much messier it's going to get next year, but it's too depressing.
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:47 - Nov 20 with 2062 viewsdanehoop

It will because of UKIP and the fear of difference that has been allowed to become an issue. Stoked up by everyone's favourite Hitler supporting newspaper (they did until 1938) with other all too.quickly by the braying voices on the right of the house.

The sad thing is that it is probably the least important issue at the election, economics, globalisation, energy, the NHS, Pensions, Corporate taxation and the UK's place in an increasingly global world. But no, we'll worry about something Polish workers who have basically been in the UK since 1939 in various degrees on the back of nonsense by an ex-stockbroker, with a German wife who is paid by the very institution that he professes to despise.

Never knowingly understood

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:49 - Nov 20 with 2056 viewsAntti_Heinola

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:23 - Nov 20 by Discodroids

i suspect for many yes it is, and for others not at all.

another splendid hatchet job on ukip by the evening standard last night, just as they done the night before the euro election and clacton by election.

thanks for making it the hatrick.it will be our pleasure to collect the match ball sometime tomorrow morning on the playing fields of rochester.

'a joke party for the less educated , white working class middle aged voter.' Oh dear , will you ever learn...i think its morrisey's sweet tender lament that springs to mind .."the more you ignore me..the closer i get."

imagine the evening standard using that term to describe the intelligence and ethnicity of people , of say, the black panthers..they would be sharing a cell with man mountain levi bellfield for a rom com and a box of milk tray quicker than a phone hacking journo gets beheaded for hugh grants amusement , while the birmingham police today try to protect those mens identities in court for sexual 'grooming' of minors.

sitting in pious judgement from their dinner parties in islington , of a nomadic tribe under the threat of extinction by big game hunter , little horn blairs hunting party , armed with blunderbuss and buckshot for white working class undesirables called bert and flo..

both sides left and right can throw stats around on immigration,and its positive/negative effects , but its what you see, live, breathe, walk , talk , smell and shit that exists ten yard in front of your face everyday 24/7.

at the very least we can talk about it now , openly ..

in any case, i firmly believe not one of the major three parties would even entertain the notion of discussing immigration if it wasnt for the presence of the pesky UK independence party.

and at the very least, i thank them for that.

"I was born by the river in forest gate
Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since,
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will....."

thanks Sam, that wonderful old song of yours might need updating next may.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2014 14:48]

and now islingtonites too?
is there any section of society you don't despise you hatred-filled Scrooge?

I do wonder though, when UKIP gets in, starts deporting people, and riots and protests start and all that, and once they've brought immigration 'under control' (whatever that means), and things are still sh!t and the bankers still rip us off and perpetuate boom and bust, which they will do for eternity, and politicians including the feckless Farage continue to lie and blame everyone else for everything that's wrong and remain corrupt and keep us all in chec with scare stories about foreigners and terrorists, and there's still homelessness and the NHS is still under funded and we have even less nurses because we've banned immigrants, and the trains still don't run on time and the Big Issue sellers are all white and British, and people are still going to food banks and living below the poverty line... just who will people blame then? Whose fault is it all then?

There'll be no one left to point at. It might be the elderly.

Bare bones.

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:51 - Nov 20 with 2057 viewsQPunkR

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:49 - Nov 20 by Antti_Heinola

and now islingtonites too?
is there any section of society you don't despise you hatred-filled Scrooge?

I do wonder though, when UKIP gets in, starts deporting people, and riots and protests start and all that, and once they've brought immigration 'under control' (whatever that means), and things are still sh!t and the bankers still rip us off and perpetuate boom and bust, which they will do for eternity, and politicians including the feckless Farage continue to lie and blame everyone else for everything that's wrong and remain corrupt and keep us all in chec with scare stories about foreigners and terrorists, and there's still homelessness and the NHS is still under funded and we have even less nurses because we've banned immigrants, and the trains still don't run on time and the Big Issue sellers are all white and British, and people are still going to food banks and living below the poverty line... just who will people blame then? Whose fault is it all then?

There'll be no one left to point at. It might be the elderly.

even *fewer* nurses

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:55 - Nov 20 with 2039 viewspaulparker

Lots of the big empty promises will be made on Immigration in the run up to the General Election , lots of talk and that's about it
nothing will change even if the Tories regain Power, that's why people are prepared to sacrifice their lives across the channel to get here, we are the easy option in Europe. anyway the damage is done its to late
Mind you it will be very interesting who people do vote for & I can see UKIP doing well just for the fact its 2 fingers against labour & Conservative
lets face it Milliband & Labour are no match , its says a lot about them that they cannot & will not displace a smug, useless git like Cameron ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:00 - Nov 20 with 2026 viewsDiscodroids

sorry antti , notting hill and islington have the least number of dixy fried chicken shops per head in london and i will never forgive them for it,

as luck would have it , i have my pack of nigel farage 'apocalyse now' playing cards to lay upon the corpse of harriet harman , kieth vaz and hazel blears......'jack of clubs', 'ace of spades', 'two of hearts'..etc etc..

i love the smell of ukip rochester by election victory in the morning ..smells like labour carrion.. the stench high of treason hung out and aged on clacton pier by the laughing policeman and the sex grooming gangs of the local kfc.

or something like that, im not sure really.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2014 15:01]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:06 - Nov 20 with 2005 viewshopphoops

What I want to know, if he's so anti-Europe, why doesn't our Nige pronounce his name 'Farridge'?

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:07 - Nov 20 with 2000 viewsstumbleandfall

I say let anyone in. Let's go all Darwin and survival of the fittest. Create a new breed of elite Brits.
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:08 - Nov 20 with 1987 viewsAntti_Heinola

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 14:51 - Nov 20 by QPunkR

even *fewer* nurses

i never get that one write ;)

Bare bones.

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:13 - Nov 20 with 1967 viewsJuzzie

As well as trying to sort out the situation with immigration in terms of not allowing anyone in who just want to take, we also need to look closer to home for this as well.

There's always some sob-story interview on the news about something or other yet they're sitting on a nice leather sofa, with a 50" TV, Xbox/Playstation, gold jewellery and probably smoking 40 fags a day. This is not what benefits are for.

When I was off on paternity leave recently I was taking the little 'un for his first walk (well, I walked, he was in the buggy) and going past an almost flat-roofed pub around 4pm there were plenty of white mid 20's to mid 30's blokes with neck tattoos, staffs and fat girlfriends all pissed up. These people clearly CAN work, they just don't want to.

It's too easy to do nothing and get given money for it. It HAS to stop.
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:27 - Nov 20 with 1933 viewsBluce_Ree

I live up north. Immigration isn't much of deal up here - although, oddly, a lot of people are racist up here.

I grew up in London of course. I was in a Polish supermarket in Tooting a month ago and was surprised by the experience. There I was in a place selling foreign products that was full of foreign people and it was less than ten mins walk from where I grew up.

It felt like when you go to a supermarket in Spain and you're slightly out of your element. Except it was right by Figges Marsh.

Not saying it's good or bad. It was just odd.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:28 - Nov 20 with 1930 viewsrunningman75

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:13 - Nov 20 by Juzzie

As well as trying to sort out the situation with immigration in terms of not allowing anyone in who just want to take, we also need to look closer to home for this as well.

There's always some sob-story interview on the news about something or other yet they're sitting on a nice leather sofa, with a 50" TV, Xbox/Playstation, gold jewellery and probably smoking 40 fags a day. This is not what benefits are for.

When I was off on paternity leave recently I was taking the little 'un for his first walk (well, I walked, he was in the buggy) and going past an almost flat-roofed pub around 4pm there were plenty of white mid 20's to mid 30's blokes with neck tattoos, staffs and fat girlfriends all pissed up. These people clearly CAN work, they just don't want to.

I work in North west London, there are local businesses staffed with Italians, Polish , French and Spanish. Meanwhile I have often passed the local weatherspoons which seems to be busy during a working day with British adults of working age. I have always thought that these people appeared fit to work but wondered what the problem is in regards to them not working.
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:36 - Nov 20 with 1901 viewshopphoops

With most of the work on the deficit still to do, no government can afford to limit immigration with its positive fiscal impact, or control it anyway. so they'll go after benefits. when it suits them they'll dress it up as fighting immigrant benefit cheats.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:46 - Nov 20 with 1868 viewsBrightonhoop

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:13 - Nov 20 by Juzzie

What,like paternity leave? ;-)

One major problem is the unlevel playing field. Here in Spain for example Healthcare cost £60 a month regardless of NI paid in UK. If I wanted to become a resident I would need to prove a higher level of Health care already in place plus proof of means to support myself so to not impact on Spains budget. How the EU allow this in the context of what the UK gives to outsiders is where the problem exists. There might be freedom of movement but there is no way i could claim anything here, and wouldn't want to, but that difference is astounding.

The EU has totally fcked everything up, but I will soil myself first before voting for that clunge Farage. If he is the UK political answer jump off Beachy Head now. Targeted and controlled immigration, via a points sytem, was always the way to go. Free movement of people was always for the benefit of cheap labour to business, not for the countries concerned as societies.
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:52 - Nov 20 with 1836 viewsJuzzie

After 30 years of unbroken employment and tax paying, I think I've earnt 2 weeks off!
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:53 - Nov 20 with 1835 viewsrobith

In short - no.

It will probably get the most airtime, despite Cameron having been an absolute catastrophe, even managed to lose a vote on going to war FFS.

But as a determining factor, no.

Because - Westminster system & Duverger's Law. UKIP need a 647% increase in the number of votes received to hit Lib Dem in 2010 levels.

Secondly, as Duverger's Law shows in a single candidate plurality (winner takes all) system, it will always gravitate towards a two part system and the incumbents after all the Lib dems in 2010 got 23% of the popular vote but only got 8.8% of the seats. The most famous example was 1983 when Labour only got 2% more of the vote than the SDLP but received 209 seats to the alliance's 23 (for 25% of the popular vote). As such while polling intentions put UKIP at 14% of the vote, I'd be surprised if it amounted to more than 7% of seats. The two current MPs they are likely to have quite soon have essentially been incumbents.

Further - moderates who tend to be where elections are decided are pretty anti UKIP

The biggest issue for the election will actually be what happens as a consequence of the collapse in the Lib Dem vote as they're likely to poll as little as 6% compared to the 23% last time, and there's about 20% undecided by latest polls.

The Lib Dem strongholds have always been, as representative of the mongrel party it is being the liberal side of the Tories and the people for whom Labour isn't radical enough, the south west and Sheffield. The south west will most likely return to the Tory fold, the northern part probably part of the Green surge (current polling intention up to 6% from 0.9% in 2010), though I think they'll struggle to take seats.

Current UNS seat projections has hung parliament, labour short of a majority by 1 and a Tory/UKIP coalition (which would never happen) would be quite a way short.

So much like the Tories banging on about the pound constantly in 2005, it'll be the thing talked about the most, but actually have little impact on the result
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:59 - Nov 20 with 1810 viewsrobith

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:36 - Nov 20 by hopphoops

With most of the work on the deficit still to do, no government can afford to limit immigration with its positive fiscal impact, or control it anyway. so they'll go after benefits. when it suits them they'll dress it up as fighting immigrant benefit cheats.

Still to do? Cameron and Gorgeous George have increased Britain's debt by 46% since taking office
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:59 - Nov 20 with 1807 viewsDiscodroids

has anyone else got any diagrams or perhaps some pictures of some fast cars.

thanks.

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 16:17 - Nov 20 with 1774 viewsLblock

My take on it all is....

Bollox

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 16:35 - Nov 20 with 1736 viewsTHEBUSH

The latest MORI poll says, 56% of the UK want to stay in the EU and when the referendum comes along, I'll vote YES, to stay in.

I've lived in Shepherds Bush, Notting Hill, Northolt, Elephant and Castle and Isleworth and haven't had any problems with immigrants in any of those places.

My son, who says he's always voted Labour, is gonna vote UKIP next time, btw, he lives in Feltham.

Without going into detail, I can see his point of view, but I think he's wrong.
Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 16:45 - Nov 20 with 1712 viewssmegma

Will immigration be the determining factor in the general election? on 15:27 - Nov 20 by Bluce_Ree

I live up north. Immigration isn't much of deal up here - although, oddly, a lot of people are racist up here.

I grew up in London of course. I was in a Polish supermarket in Tooting a month ago and was surprised by the experience. There I was in a place selling foreign products that was full of foreign people and it was less than ten mins walk from where I grew up.

It felt like when you go to a supermarket in Spain and you're slightly out of your element. Except it was right by Figges Marsh.

Not saying it's good or bad. It was just odd.

To many Ukrainians in the Figges Marsh area !!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024