Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joey Barton 12:16 - Nov 23 with 3438 viewsMarc

What are our thoughts on him? Did we look better as a team while he was out injured?

Would he be in your starting 11 when everyone is available?

I'm not convinced by him at this level and feel we looked a more cohesive unit during his absence.

I'd happily settle for the Sandro-Henry partnership in the middle, as long as both (mainly Sandro) can stay fit.

Just a coincidence that yesterdays second half performance with Barton in the centre was back to the bad days of earlier in the season?
Joey Barton on 13:05 - Nov 23 with 2084 viewsRecoilboss

I know this won’t endear me to most people on this page but Barton is not the creative midfielder we need to thrive in this league. He seems to have become the anointed one, our saviour, the one who has pulled everyone together etc. I don’t buy it. He holds us back as a creative force - just look at last season objectively for five minutes if you want the evidence. At best he is a fighter, someone who can unify a group on occasion and get up opposition’s noses - not to be sniffed at maybe, but for the premier league his vision is limited, his free kicks and corners are generally poor and we have been much improved in his absence.

And he's a gobshite...
[Post edited 23 Nov 2014 13:54]
Joey Barton on 13:07 - Nov 23 with 2076 viewsQPRDave

I like Joey
But if Vargas is available then he comes in for JB for me.
If Sandro is unfit then JB should take his place.
Joey Barton on 13:14 - Nov 23 with 2052 viewsPommyhoop

Joey Barton on 13:05 - Nov 23 by Recoilboss

I know this won’t endear me to most people on this page but Barton is not the creative midfielder we need to thrive in this league. He seems to have become the anointed one, our saviour, the one who has pulled everyone together etc. I don’t buy it. He holds us back as a creative force - just look at last season objectively for five minutes if you want the evidence. At best he is a fighter, someone who can unify a group on occasion and get up opposition’s noses - not to be sniffed at maybe, but for the premier league his vision is limited, his free kicks and corners are generally poor and we have been much improved in his absence.

And he's a gobshite...
[Post edited 23 Nov 2014 13:54]

I know what your saying mate and although I havn't seen the match yet I'll watch it tomorrow.
I said a few weeks ago that I hoped H would not just rush Barton back on reputation and fairplay to H he waited for a half until I think Sandro got injured..And fair play to JB he performed well for a first game back after injury.
I know where youre coming from tho regarding him slowing us down..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Joey Barton on 18:31 - Nov 23 with 1855 viewsvegasranger

I've never rated, he hardly stood out in the championship last season. What does he really bring to the team? His passing is iffy, his shots and set pieces aren't that good. I was vey unhappy to see him as captain yesterday. Right now just on performance alone Richard Dunne should be captain. I can't wait for his ridiculously expensive contract to run out.
Joey Barton on 18:34 - Nov 23 with 1841 viewsNorthernr

If everybody's fit he shouldn't be in the team. Henry and Sandro are playing well as holding midfielders and we have far better players for the other positions.
And I wish he'd stop this fcking weekly farce with the placing of the corners.
Joey Barton on 18:43 - Nov 23 with 1811 viewsparker64

I thought his worldy pass in the last minute of injury time, from midfield straight into touch, 15 yards away from whoever he was aiming for was, well, Bartonesque.
Joey Barton on 18:45 - Nov 23 with 1805 viewsNorthernr

Joey Barton on 18:43 - Nov 23 by parker64

I thought his worldy pass in the last minute of injury time, from midfield straight into touch, 15 yards away from whoever he was aiming for was, well, Bartonesque.

Yup. He'd be bloody lethal if he was half as good as he thought he was.
Joey Barton on 18:57 - Nov 23 with 1779 viewsSpiritofGregory

Hope we don't offer him another contract.
Login to get fewer ads

Joey Barton on 19:01 - Nov 23 with 1776 viewsWeaverQPR

Headless chicken.

@WeavQPR

Joey Barton on 19:20 - Nov 23 with 1739 viewsdaveB

I thought he was good on the right yesterday but when he went in the middle and started thinking he was Glenn Hoddle he was a weak link.

Agree with Clive he's not in the first 11 if everyone is fit but with Sandro out I think he has to play next week.
Joey Barton on 19:20 - Nov 23 with 1738 viewsQPRDave

Hang on ...he ain't t as bad as some are saying.
Played in his preferred position he is as good as Henry.
But KH ain't done alot wrong so at the moment the postion is his, as it should be.
Joey Barton on 19:51 - Nov 23 with 1706 viewsderbyhoop

Fer wants to play in the centre. Barton prefers the centre. Henry and Sandro have been the incumbents for 4 games when we've played pretty well.

However, Henry and Sandro together is slow and non creative. Given a choice between Barton and Henry, I believe Barton is a better player. Just not as good as he thinks he is. I'd want to play one of Henry/Sandro/Barton with a more creative option.

The real problem is the balance. I'd like to see Mutch fully fit. I think he can do the defensive part but also get forward and pick a pass. But, then, I don't see them in training every day.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Joey Barton on 20:14 - Nov 23 with 1665 viewsbosh67

I didn't see him yesterday but he was excellent when he came on against City. Barton is a good player, I don't agree, I think he is okay at this level and he is a leader.

At the moment we have 3 very similar players. Barton, Sandro and Henry. All hold the centre of the park with Barton possibly the only one that can also attack.

For me the real loss, unfortunately inevitably was Faurlin. A player who didn't have pace but who did think a few steps ahead and who could spread, link and move play from defence to attack quickly. A play maker. Barton can kind of do it but not quite as quickly. Sandro and Henry for me are the same player and although Henry is 6 years older he is playing the Derry role for us. The play breaker.

What we don't have at the moment is that play maker. Niko is probably the closest thing we have so I would personally have Henry or Barton alongside Niko in the middle. Ferr doesn't seem to be the answer as a play maker. Who knows if Adel will ever come back?

Come January we need a play maker, right back cover and another forward.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Joey Barton on 20:27 - Nov 23 with 1644 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

If I could take away the wanna be holly-way-wood crosses he does and the awful corners, then I'd gladly have Barton over Sandro any day of the week. The dodgy cross field balls and shït corners though have to stop from Joey. Otherwise I feel much more confident with him then Sandro. I'm not sold on Sandro, injuries or otherwise, he has some way to go before I think he is a first teamer.
Joey Barton on 21:04 - Nov 23 with 1596 viewsterryb

Should we play barton?

I honestly feel that this is dependant on what formation we are attempting to play, but please not wide unless we have no other options.

If it is a straight 4-4-2 then the middle two will probably have to be more defensively minded. That would mean pick two from Henry, Barton & Sandro. The two outside players should be far more comfortable in wide positions than Barton, Fer, Niko or Mutch are.

Three at the back would allow for Niko, Fer or Mutch to join the other two, or if playing with a lone forward then two of them could play.

However, I would much rather see Vargas as the "number 10" man than Leroy.

IMO what we can't continue to do is for HR to select his preferred midfield individuals & try to find a system for them to play in.
Joey Barton on 22:36 - Nov 23 with 1519 viewsdavman

Joey Barton on 18:57 - Nov 23 by SpiritofGregory

Hope we don't offer him another contract.

No danger of that from the Championship...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Joey Barton on 22:40 - Nov 23 with 1512 viewsdavman

Joey Barton on 20:14 - Nov 23 by bosh67

I didn't see him yesterday but he was excellent when he came on against City. Barton is a good player, I don't agree, I think he is okay at this level and he is a leader.

At the moment we have 3 very similar players. Barton, Sandro and Henry. All hold the centre of the park with Barton possibly the only one that can also attack.

For me the real loss, unfortunately inevitably was Faurlin. A player who didn't have pace but who did think a few steps ahead and who could spread, link and move play from defence to attack quickly. A play maker. Barton can kind of do it but not quite as quickly. Sandro and Henry for me are the same player and although Henry is 6 years older he is playing the Derry role for us. The play breaker.

What we don't have at the moment is that play maker. Niko is probably the closest thing we have so I would personally have Henry or Barton alongside Niko in the middle. Ferr doesn't seem to be the answer as a play maker. Who knows if Adel will ever come back?

Just can't play Niko in the middle as one of a two I'm afraid. Behind a lone main striker would work, but then that would mean Charlie by himself, which is just not effective.

Fer needs to be given a chance in the middle - he was great against Sunderland there and will be a little more of a defensive presence than Niko.

Still, all of this is why Redknapp is a manager and we're not - let him earn his mega bucks just for once and get this lot playing, especially away from home...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Joey Barton on 01:36 - Nov 24 with 1413 viewsSonofNorfolt

Anybody who thinks that Henry should play ahead of barton wants their temples felt.
Joey Barton on 08:33 - Nov 24 with 1358 viewssmegma

In answer to the the OP and the two questions.

No.
And NO.
Joey Barton on 08:42 - Nov 24 with 1352 viewsLoft1979

Joey Barton on 20:14 - Nov 23 by bosh67

Some great comments here......

What can I add? Mauricio Isla is the next part of the equation.
-Isla has evolved as the first choice RB. BUT that was in partnership with Vargas, whose absence served as a huge warning. But what if Isla is picked in Joey's /Faurlin's spot at the base of the defensive midfield? ....certainly a better option than some of the stuff we have seen so far. He could support Chief, while offering a composed link to the Forwards (and Vargas)...especially in a diamond formation.
Joey Barton on 10:07 - Nov 24 with 1307 viewsstevec

We don't have a decent left sided midfielder so would like us to play 4-3-3 with any 3 from 4 (Sandro-Henry-Barton-Fer) working their nuts off to stifle the opposition. Vargas is the key to this.
Joey Barton on 10:41 - Nov 24 with 1276 viewsQPunkR

Joey Barton on 01:36 - Nov 24 by SonofNorfolt

Anybody who thinks that Henry should play ahead of barton wants their temples felt.

So you haven't been watching us at all then?

As to most of the rest of the comments, I'm so pleased more right-minded people have come round to seeing this as it is - welcome to the club! If Barton were half as good as he thinks he is, England would have rejoiced when he hilariously declared he'd come out of 'international retirement' recently. It wasn't self-imposed mate
Henry has to be the first name at CM while Faurlin's injured, and you'd probably have to plump for Sandro alongside - even though I'm not at all sold on him yet, he's another that actually knows his role and is ahead of Barton.

QPR - "shit but local"

Joey Barton on 13:39 - Nov 24 with 1163 viewsHunterhoop

Barton is overrated both by himself and a proportion of fans, specifically those who sand "there's only one joey Barton" on his first reappearance after Marseille.

Positives
He works hard
He communicates well
He can put a foot in
He can drive the team forward
His first touch is decent enough

Negatives
His passing, especially is long passing, is poor
He gives possession away by trying things which are to ambitious meaning we turn over possession and waste the ball. Almost pulling off a delicate chipped pass in behind the defence is the same as not pulling it off. You lose possession
He isn't particularly quick or strong
His positioning off the ball is mixed. He's not really a holding midfielder. He likes to get forward too much but he can then leave a hole
His set pieces, especially corners, are fcuking dreadful

At present, Henry and Sandro (if he's actually fit) are better in the holding CM roles than Barton and we have countless players better as a no. 10 and several better as a right winger.

Barton is a jack of all trades, master of none.

In football you should pick a formation, train it, become drilled in it (on and off the ball) and then pick the best player FOR EACH POSITION. And preferably have two fighting for every position, You don't just try to put the best XI players on the pitch fudging them into a formation. Barton is not the best for any position at the moment, so he shouldn't start. Simple.
Joey Barton on 14:01 - Nov 24 with 1138 viewsWestminsteRs

The ultimate in hype over reality. Has somehow developed an image of a ball-playing, creative, all-action, all-round midfielder. Has never been anything of the sort.

Based on Henry's current form, Barton doesn't deserve to be in the team.

As said elsewhere if he was half as good as he thinks he is he'd be outstanding. He needs to be told to stick to what he's adequate at. Recycle the ball, win some tackles and shield the defence. Do not take set pieces, do not attempt passes across the defence, do not attempt passes of more than 20 yards.

Someone should buy him a David Batty's Greatest Games 1991-1995 VHS and make him watch it a few times. I assume such a video exists.
Joey Barton on 15:44 - Nov 24 with 1067 viewsSonofNorfolt

Joey Barton on 10:41 - Nov 24 by QPunkR

So you haven't been watching us at all then?

As to most of the rest of the comments, I'm so pleased more right-minded people have come round to seeing this as it is - welcome to the club! If Barton were half as good as he thinks he is, England would have rejoiced when he hilariously declared he'd come out of 'international retirement' recently. It wasn't self-imposed mate
Henry has to be the first name at CM while Faurlin's injured, and you'd probably have to plump for Sandro alongside - even though I'm not at all sold on him yet, he's another that actually knows his role and is ahead of Barton.

Of course I have been watching us, hundreds more games than you ever have.

Henry is awful. He takes two touches when every one else takes one, as for distribution, don't even start.
Were you there at Wolves the other year? If you were then you would know better.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024