Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mac v PC advice 15:54 - Nov 24 with 3092 viewsQPR442

Hi all
Firstly I know there are plenty of sites telling what's best but I like personal feedback.
Okay here we go
I need advice on what PC/Mac I should get. I want it for presentations/ film editing/projection and design work (as well as general use) but it must be mobile so I can take to various places for presentations.
I was told that a MacBook Pro at £899 was better than a laptop at £400 for my needs. The money is not a problem as I will get some back. is this the case that I should go with the Mac?
Any advice?
Mac v PC advice on 16:19 - Nov 24 with 3054 viewskingsburyR

Mac.

No argument, for what you want it is tailor made!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Mac v PC advice on 16:25 - Nov 24 with 3052 viewsblacky200

Not really used Macs myself but I have a lot of friends in various industries that always say that Macs are the ones for professional design work etc.
I tend to stay with lap tops as I use a top spec PC that I built myself for the design work (already have all the software and don't want to buy and learn other stuff for Macs) and the laptop for presentations.
The MacBook will be better than a £400 laptop but perhaps not so much in it if you spend the same on a laptop. Sorry its a bit vague but I don't think there is that much between them now. The other plus for me is that I can easily buy and replace parts on a laptop myself but it is harder to get spares for Apple products (so I've been told).
Mac v PC advice on 17:47 - Nov 24 with 2990 viewsRecoilboss

Macbook Pro - for anything audio/visual/graphic-based - every time.
Mac v PC advice on 19:30 - Nov 24 with 2932 viewsqueensparker

If you have the time and the ability to tinker with your computer to get it to do what you want it to do, deal with viruses sensibly, and generally like mucking about with the settings, a PC is way better value than a Mac. You'll get something about twice as powerful for the same price.

If you just want something that works quickly and seamlessly and intuitively without buggering about for 60 mins every time you have to install something, and you don't mind paying a few hundred quid more, get a Mac.

For me it's a Mac every single day of the week (been using them since working in papers in the mid 90s on ancient versions of Quark Xpress). Sometimes life's just too short.

For what you want FinalCut Pro / the Adobe Suite / Keynote on a Mac will be perfect.
Mac v PC advice on 19:48 - Nov 24 with 2902 viewsAunt_Nelly

Mac.

Look out for Cyberweek and Black Friday deals.
Mac v PC advice on 20:52 - Nov 24 with 2856 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Every professional studio I've been in (recording studios and graphic design studios) have used Macs. I used Macs and PCs for different things but the Mac is the way to go for anything in that line of work. So many things are made with the Mac in mind and just work better on a Mac.

Plus in my experience at least they crash far less, are quieter and have a better use of the cpu on heavy usage programs.
Mac v PC advice on 21:08 - Nov 24 with 2841 viewsJuzzie

I concur, if you're going to be doing photo/image and video work then Mac all the way, it's what they were primarily designed for..
Mac v PC advice on 21:38 - Nov 24 with 2816 viewsjohncharles

Save money, get a PC ,

and spend the next 12 months wishing you'd coughed up for a Mac.

Strong and stable my arse.

Login to get fewer ads

Mac v PC advice on 22:00 - Nov 24 with 2802 viewsbrewers_hoop

I'm having a similar quandary. I probably won't use whatever I get so much for video-related stuff and all my mates tell me once you get a Mac you don't look back but the thing that 'scares' me is that I've only ever used a PC and I'm told you have to learn a whole different system to use a Mac. I just wonder whether I'm too old for that shit
Mac v PC advice on 23:00 - Nov 24 with 2760 viewsTrom

Mac v PC advice on 22:00 - Nov 24 by brewers_hoop

I'm having a similar quandary. I probably won't use whatever I get so much for video-related stuff and all my mates tell me once you get a Mac you don't look back but the thing that 'scares' me is that I've only ever used a PC and I'm told you have to learn a whole different system to use a Mac. I just wonder whether I'm too old for that shit

No the operating system isn't much of a barrier. Few hours and you will be fine.
Mac v PC advice on 23:52 - Nov 24 with 2739 viewsQPR442

many thanks to all. I have been using my old PC but things have changed at work and I need something different.
Nice to get some real honest feedback then some salesman trying to offload me with something I don't need.
cheers
Mac v PC advice on 08:56 - Nov 25 with 2668 viewsTrom

I should also add the mac in my home office is 2007.

So far it has not slowed down so I can't justify replacing it. I did spec up the ram when I bought it to prevent it slowing down.

So whilst a Mac costs more it lasts a lot longer than the average pc.
Mac v PC advice on 11:25 - Nov 25 with 2628 viewsToast_R

I bought a Macbook as I was sick of the ineptness of Windows for Movie editing. It does those things far more naturally then the average pc. I was debating which for a while and in the end, 10 months interest free instalments with the Apple store swung it.

But don’t be too fooled by the looks and the price tags.- Mac’s are not as reliable as people think they are and when they go wrong, they tend to be expensive to sort out.

I had a thread a fortnight ago about the Hard Drive giving up on my 2 year old Macbook when I tried to install the latest O.S Yosemite. £500 later and I’m back running again but won’t be installing Yosemite any time soon (not until I’ve back up my data 5 times).

Buying a Desktop or Laptop is like buying a car really. Sometimes you have no problems and they keep on going and going. Other time’s they just go without warning and not necessarily with much mileage.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 11:26]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024