Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Villa Park 20:04 - Nov 24 with 2353 viewsstowmarketrange

Another sell out crowd tonight at the biggest club in the midlands.
Villa Park on 20:16 - Nov 24 with 2000 viewsbillericaydicky

An atmosphere like a reserve game - awful.
Villa Park on 20:25 - Nov 24 with 1974 viewsloftboy

They always sing about their garden shed is bigger than this when they come to QPR, well tonight my old brummie muckers, your garden shed is full of pale blue empty seats

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Villa Park on 20:36 - Nov 24 with 1927 viewskropotkin41

And conceding 2/3rds of possession they've just gone and scored!!

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Villa Park on 20:46 - Nov 24 with 1884 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Has there ever been a weekend worse for results for QPR?
We lost
Burnley and Palace win
Leicester and Sunderland both gain a point
Chelsea win
Villa winning also making Southampton lose helping Chelsea.

What a shite weekend eh

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Villa Park on 21:05 - Nov 24 with 1812 viewsQPR_Jim

Villa Park on 20:36 - Nov 24 by kropotkin41

And conceding 2/3rds of possession they've just gone and scored!!

That's how Villa work, Southampton need to be more direct and not let Villa get into shape when defending, even if that means they lose the ball more frequently to Villa.
Villa Park on 21:43 - Nov 24 with 1672 viewseghamranger

1-1 now
Villa Park on 13:06 - Nov 25 with 1226 viewsFredManRave

That was Lamberts 100th game in charge! I actually admire the fact that they've taken a long term view on his appointment. It would have been all too easy and Premier League to have sacked him in his first season when they were dicing with relegation. He's been playing a lot of youngsters andhhasn't spent a lot of money yet the problem for him and the club now is that after 100 games they are still looking and playing shite. How much more time do they give him? Form wise they must be one of the favourites to get relegated. Stability, in this case, isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Villa Park on 13:16 - Nov 25 with 1198 viewsHayesender

Villa's entire game plan seemed to be to hit it long to Gabby what's his name and hope for the best.

If we can't finish above villa we deserve to go down. They're shite!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Villa Park on 13:28 - Nov 25 with 1164 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Villa Park on 13:06 - Nov 25 by FredManRave

That was Lamberts 100th game in charge! I actually admire the fact that they've taken a long term view on his appointment. It would have been all too easy and Premier League to have sacked him in his first season when they were dicing with relegation. He's been playing a lot of youngsters andhhasn't spent a lot of money yet the problem for him and the club now is that after 100 games they are still looking and playing shite. How much more time do they give him? Form wise they must be one of the favourites to get relegated. Stability, in this case, isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I think Lambert was rewarded for his loyalty with a new contract knowing he would at least get a decent payout when he is eventually sacked by a new owner. That is my take.
Villa Park on 13:28 - Nov 25 with 1163 viewsTopCat34

Must be a frustrating club to support - potential is massive!
Villa Park on 14:09 - Nov 25 with 1103 viewsrunningman75

Monday night football, 4 weeks before Christmas , I could not even be bothered to watch this one in the pub.
Villa Park on 14:23 - Nov 25 with 1082 viewsNorthernr

To be fair to Villa, they always travel in massive, noisy numbers. If you were a non-season ticket holding Villa fan would you have gone to that last night? Pising with rain, on the television, very little chance of winning, the chairman isn't interested, you've got Philippe Senderos at centre half, your marquee summer signing was Joe Cole, you've been playing awfully and losing regularly for several years on the spin, and Lambert's tactics basically revolve around lining up on the edge of your own box, conceding 75% of the possession and hoping that Agbonlahor's pace gets you a goal you can protect on the break. They were embarrassingly inferior to Southampton last night and Lambert's smug smile at the end of it all, like he'd pulled off some sort of masterstroke was pathetic. If you were them would you not be asking "if that's the best they can do why should I bother?" Or "if the chairman's decided he's not putting his hand in his pocket any more, why should I?"

I get a little bit uncomfortable these days when football fans go around criticising other football fans for not attending games. The Premier League is expensive, all but five or six of the teams are playing solely to stay up and have zero ambition beyond that, the football is often negative and based around not losing, the kick off times change at short notice to things like a Monday night or a Sunday lunchtime making train travel difficult to book. I know a dozen people who don't go to QPR any more for all these reasons. £50 a time is a lot to pay when you already know before you begin that you can't win the league., won't bother trying in the cups, don't know when the games are going to kick off and can watch them all on TV/stream anyway.

Short of blind loyalty what possible reason would an Aston Villa fan have for going to that game last night? They'd have to drive, they'd have to go from work, they'd have to go sober, they'd have to pay £40 to get in, they'd get cold, they'd get wet, they'd be treated to 90 minutes of dross and they'd see their team get totally outclassed on their own ground by Southampton. Why wouldn't you sit in your living room and watch it on TV instead?
Villa Park on 14:26 - Nov 25 with 1067 viewsTacticalR

I don't like the sound of that.

Air hostess clique

Villa Park on 14:33 - Nov 25 with 1047 viewsCamberleyR

Villa Park on 20:46 - Nov 24 by RANGERS4EVER

Has there ever been a weekend worse for results for QPR?
We lost
Burnley and Palace win
Leicester and Sunderland both gain a point
Chelsea win
Villa winning also making Southampton lose helping Chelsea.

What a shite weekend eh

"Has there ever been a weekend worse for results for QPR? "

Yes. April 17th 1976

Liverpool 5-3 Stoke
Norwich 3-2 QPR

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Villa Park on 14:34 - Nov 25 with 1042 viewsstowmarketrange

Villa Park on 14:23 - Nov 25 by Northernr

To be fair to Villa, they always travel in massive, noisy numbers. If you were a non-season ticket holding Villa fan would you have gone to that last night? Pising with rain, on the television, very little chance of winning, the chairman isn't interested, you've got Philippe Senderos at centre half, your marquee summer signing was Joe Cole, you've been playing awfully and losing regularly for several years on the spin, and Lambert's tactics basically revolve around lining up on the edge of your own box, conceding 75% of the possession and hoping that Agbonlahor's pace gets you a goal you can protect on the break. They were embarrassingly inferior to Southampton last night and Lambert's smug smile at the end of it all, like he'd pulled off some sort of masterstroke was pathetic. If you were them would you not be asking "if that's the best they can do why should I bother?" Or "if the chairman's decided he's not putting his hand in his pocket any more, why should I?"

I get a little bit uncomfortable these days when football fans go around criticising other football fans for not attending games. The Premier League is expensive, all but five or six of the teams are playing solely to stay up and have zero ambition beyond that, the football is often negative and based around not losing, the kick off times change at short notice to things like a Monday night or a Sunday lunchtime making train travel difficult to book. I know a dozen people who don't go to QPR any more for all these reasons. £50 a time is a lot to pay when you already know before you begin that you can't win the league., won't bother trying in the cups, don't know when the games are going to kick off and can watch them all on TV/stream anyway.

Short of blind loyalty what possible reason would an Aston Villa fan have for going to that game last night? They'd have to drive, they'd have to go from work, they'd have to go sober, they'd have to pay £40 to get in, they'd get cold, they'd get wet, they'd be treated to 90 minutes of dross and they'd see their team get totally outclassed on their own ground by Southampton. Why wouldn't you sit in your living room and watch it on TV instead?

Is that the same fans who would turn up in numbers when there's a big team coming to town?
Those same fans take the piss out of us for having a small ground with no fans.Whats the point in having a bigger ground if its half empty.
Aren't supporters supposed to support the team through the good times as well as the bad?
Villa Park on 14:38 - Nov 25 with 1030 viewsNorthernr

Villa Park on 14:34 - Nov 25 by stowmarketrange

Is that the same fans who would turn up in numbers when there's a big team coming to town?
Those same fans take the piss out of us for having a small ground with no fans.Whats the point in having a bigger ground if its half empty.
Aren't supporters supposed to support the team through the good times as well as the bad?

Yes but at 50 notes a time can you really blame them for picking and choosing, or not bothering at all when the chairman has openly given up and the football is clearly that crap?

You're going to see more and more of this. You cannot charge the prices football clubs are charging, and continue to raise them, and expect fans to blindly turn up to watch a team with no chance of or ambition to ever win anything.

Bolton found after 10 years in the Prem that they couldn't even sell out the Liverpool and Man Utd games, because after ten years of never winning anything the attraction of seeing your team get beaten 2-0 at home while simply trying to keep the score down is questionable.

This idea that even if the team is rubbish, the manager is rubbish, the chairman is refusing to put any money in, you have no chance of winning the league, you don't try to win any of the cups, you lose two thirds of your games and see a draw as a good result in the others, you raise the ticket prices every year, you allow the games to change kick off times all the time but the fans are expected to turn up anyway because otherwise they're not "LOYAL SUPPORTERS, FICK AND FIN" is wrong and will start to bite plenty of clubs in the coming years. Football supporters should be showing solidarity with each others' plight, not taking the pis. I wouldn't have wanted to go to that match last night as a Villa fan either.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Villa Park on 14:48 - Nov 25 with 1007 viewsStanisgod

Villa Park on 14:23 - Nov 25 by Northernr

Stop with the common sense

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Villa Park on 15:30 - Nov 25 with 967 viewspaulparker

Villa Park on 14:48 - Nov 25 by Stanisgod

Stop with the common sense

even in the Mid 80's that crowd would have been 5k down
as Northern has said why would you go there last night , Villa are poor and there fans know it, even Lambert knows it , you have xmas coming up as well don't forget
for the life of me I cannot understand why chairman don't put the prices to say £15.00 for adults and £5.00 for kids for a game like this, if you sell out that's got to be a good thing more people will buy programmes, scarves , food etc
I get the feeling that most of villa's hardcore support wouldn't mind a couple of years in the championship, at least its competitive

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Villa Park on 15:50 - Nov 25 with 923 viewsNorthernr

Villa Park on 15:30 - Nov 25 by paulparker

even in the Mid 80's that crowd would have been 5k down
as Northern has said why would you go there last night , Villa are poor and there fans know it, even Lambert knows it , you have xmas coming up as well don't forget
for the life of me I cannot understand why chairman don't put the prices to say £15.00 for adults and £5.00 for kids for a game like this, if you sell out that's got to be a good thing more people will buy programmes, scarves , food etc
I get the feeling that most of villa's hardcore support wouldn't mind a couple of years in the championship, at least its competitive

Well it goes one of two ways doesn't it. If they go down and don't come back they could sink into the world of Leeds and Forest - similar sized clubs.
But to me they look like a club that needs a complete refit from top to bottom. At the moment they're losing money and scraping a squad together each year to try and finish 17th.
Villa Park on 16:08 - Nov 25 with 898 viewspaulparker

Villa Park on 15:50 - Nov 25 by Northernr

Well it goes one of two ways doesn't it. If they go down and don't come back they could sink into the world of Leeds and Forest - similar sized clubs.
But to me they look like a club that needs a complete refit from top to bottom. At the moment they're losing money and scraping a squad together each year to try and finish 17th.

You could be right, if they went down they would possibly lose a few of their younger stars & languish for a few years
but if your a villa fan what are you playing for?? only survival , Lambert hates the cups and no clubs even want to finish in the Europa league spots
they would at least have something to aim for in the championship

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Villa Park on 16:17 - Nov 25 with 880 viewsstowmarketrange

Villa Park on 14:38 - Nov 25 by Northernr

Yes but at 50 notes a time can you really blame them for picking and choosing, or not bothering at all when the chairman has openly given up and the football is clearly that crap?

You're going to see more and more of this. You cannot charge the prices football clubs are charging, and continue to raise them, and expect fans to blindly turn up to watch a team with no chance of or ambition to ever win anything.

Bolton found after 10 years in the Prem that they couldn't even sell out the Liverpool and Man Utd games, because after ten years of never winning anything the attraction of seeing your team get beaten 2-0 at home while simply trying to keep the score down is questionable.

This idea that even if the team is rubbish, the manager is rubbish, the chairman is refusing to put any money in, you have no chance of winning the league, you don't try to win any of the cups, you lose two thirds of your games and see a draw as a good result in the others, you raise the ticket prices every year, you allow the games to change kick off times all the time but the fans are expected to turn up anyway because otherwise they're not "LOYAL SUPPORTERS, FICK AND FIN" is wrong and will start to bite plenty of clubs in the coming years. Football supporters should be showing solidarity with each others' plight, not taking the pis. I wouldn't have wanted to go to that match last night as a Villa fan either.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I agree with you completely on the points you made,but isn't that the same stick some of us use to beat Fulham and their fans with?
The only way to change it to to boycott certain games and protest at the ones you do attend.All the time that we have games that sell out nothing will ever change.
I think the sane Villa fans might appreciate the change of scenery of a stint in the Championship rather than the tedium of always struggling in the Premier league,but there isn't many that would choose that option.
Villa Park on 16:48 - Nov 25 with 830 viewsNorthernr

Villa Park on 16:17 - Nov 25 by stowmarketrange

I agree with you completely on the points you made,but isn't that the same stick some of us use to beat Fulham and their fans with?
The only way to change it to to boycott certain games and protest at the ones you do attend.All the time that we have games that sell out nothing will ever change.
I think the sane Villa fans might appreciate the change of scenery of a stint in the Championship rather than the tedium of always struggling in the Premier league,but there isn't many that would choose that option.

Fulham's slightly different in that they went from very low attendances at home games to reasonably high ones simply because they did well and it was trendy to go to football. You wouldn't believe the amount of television executives I speak to in my job who "go and watch Fulham" and "never would have thought I'd ever be into football". Trendy media types who wouldn't dream of going to an away game in a million years - see Fulham's away support.

But then again, why would you pay all that money to watch Fulham away? They never won, they were crap, it's expensive, the kick off times are awkward.

Fulham got stick because they went from 5,000 people watching Third Division football, to 25,000 people taking the pis out of us.
Villa Park on 17:11 - Nov 25 with 794 viewsTacticalR

Villa Park on 15:50 - Nov 25 by Northernr

It looks like Villa is one of a number of clubs unable to compete in the Premiership arms race who have decided to 'do a Newcastle' and downsize, the logic being that if you can spend a fortune trying to get into the top 4 and still not succeed, then why not just not spend the money, even if you do finish 17th? If the club has a good season every now and then, all well and good, you might even win the Mini-League. Just make sure to avoid the Europa League.

One big difference between now and the pre-Premiership era is that every club used to have a few flair players to appeal to the fans, whereas now those players are all languishing in the reserves of the top clubs, leaving the Villas of this world looking pretty threadbare.

Cup runs used to be a big thing at Villa - now the top 4 clubs monopolise those too (unless you can sneak in the back when nobody's looking, like Swansea did in the League Cup).
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 17:12]

Air hostess clique

Villa Park on 17:15 - Nov 25 with 788 viewsthemodfather

villa have been in the bottom half of the table for over a decade...they struggle year after year
yet as said have potential, they are european champions from 82? and have a few league cups to show after that in 40 yrs!
and again as said, football is expensive....and if cash is tight cos your factory (whatever) is facing closure, then you ain't gonna enjoy giving your club £100 for a night out.
forest have struggled to get back up...derby have loitered around with ltd promotion since their heyday....
Villa Park on 20:34 - Nov 25 with 682 viewsTGRRRSSS

Comepletely agree with what Clive was saying, personally I think in the next 2-3 seasons football will finally have some kind of correction regarding what people will pay, but because Arsenal, Spurs, Man U and 2/3 others still sell out it'll be ignored I think.

Matt Syed said in a article last week in The Tiimes that as Arsenal (his focus for the article) for instance had a massive waiting list therefore they were not overcharging and arguably may not have been paying the going rate, or in otherwords they could try and add more price and see how far they could go.
Clearly elsewhere this isnt going to work, but Media wont focus on that.
I mean then you have Custis praising 52K Newcastle fans for turning up at 3pm on Saturday afternoon to see their side play QPR on Sunday Supplement.

This was in relation to Newxastle winning nothing of note for many years and now broadly speaking an also ran who's focus is purely to stay above 18th position I guess.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024