Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Posting responses to threads. 14:14 - Nov 26 with 12979 viewspomanjou

Its getting more like the old East Germany. In addition to not being able to discuss many current affairs on this board the guvnor is now locking threads on the basis of them being pathetic.

At the same time foul and abusive language flourishes despite it being offensive to many
and extreme adjectivial excess is on the up.

Whatever is the world coming to?

I'm just off to 'the imitation game' (Enigma) for a bit of enlightenment.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Posting responses to threads. on 16:44 - Nov 27 with 1521 viewsYorkRanger

Posting responses to threads. on 16:39 - Nov 27 by paulparker

no doubt clive does a great job on here, fair play to him

I actually have to disagree with you Loftboy there is a lot of snobbery towards new members from some of the old guard ( Btw im not pointing the finger at you , as I mainly agree with a lot of what you contribute) York and EastR have pretty much confirmed that with their posts
maybe if there were less teenage girl strops and toys out the pram throwing then we could maybe have the other debates, sometimes some people on here lose all sense of their humour
I mean lets face it the football hasn't been much to write about has it

Paul Parker - again I don't know you from Adam, but if you read my posts I'm not sure how you define that as snobbery to new members. I merely stated what threads I joined, which I read and which I ignored. I then commented that the board has dumbed down over recent months, I didnt attribute that to new members.
Posting responses to threads. on 16:54 - Nov 27 with 1482 viewsGetMeRangers

Perhaps it is the essence of some theads. Many more have become nothing less than a shouting match rather than a debate. Little discussion, but a war of attrition as to who can shout loudest.

I have a lot of sympathy for Clive. If it were my board, I too would delete a fair few threads... then again, perhaps that is why a rarely comment on here any more.

Even if Clive restricted this to a blog for his own match reports and thoughts, it would remain the best QPR site. I just feel it si a shame that increasingly that is all I want to view

Many thanks again, Clive, for your tireless devotion to running the site and providing us with the most outstanding match reports of any football site
Posting responses to threads. on 16:55 - Nov 27 with 1482 viewspaulparker

Posting responses to threads. on 16:44 - Nov 27 by YorkRanger

Paul Parker - again I don't know you from Adam, but if you read my posts I'm not sure how you define that as snobbery to new members. I merely stated what threads I joined, which I read and which I ignored. I then commented that the board has dumbed down over recent months, I didnt attribute that to new members.

Fairplay York i misread your post re new members

anyway i don't see how this MB has dumbed down, ive read this MB since the Rival days, if anything its got more diverse with subjects & posters , surely that's a good thing ??
i do think some on here get their knickers in a twist very easily which is a shame
as when it came to the play off final a lot of people tried to help their fellow LFW members with tickets at cost value, that's what made this MB special in my eyes

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Posting responses to threads. on 17:01 - Nov 27 with 1451 viewsessextaxiboy

Posting responses to threads. on 16:14 - Nov 27 by Jamie

So in summary, people are upset they can't argue over politics. On a football forum.

Since you ask ..yes . What about the posters who share a common bond but want to chat about other stuff once in a while ? It fascinating to me that a Rangers fan who I would dance and hug with to celebrate a goal has such diverse opinions on everything else .

There is only so many threads especially in summer that can be started about Adel or Redknapp or Fernandes . As pointed out one post from an Aussie poster re the BNP is meaningless , that person has never experienced true rascism .

. I understand Clives fears , but personally I would prefer to keep the other debates .We have had some classics over the years . I dont want to go on any other forums thanks .
Posting responses to threads. on 17:05 - Nov 27 with 1438 viewsQPRDave

Posting responses to threads. on 14:39 - Nov 27 by Clive_Anderson

It seems to be easy to delete a thread and then claim the people were "disgusting knuckle dragging BNP scum" as you've just deleted the evidence that it was nothing like that at all.

I remember a particular thread a while ago that got deleted and 3 people on the other side of the argument PM'd me saying it was a shame as it was a decent and reasonable debate. Meanwhile you posted that half the people on there were basically racist c@nts and should fark off.

No one could ask what exactly you objected to because you'd deleted the whole thing for being so "disgusting".

Edit. In reply to your edit "This should not, under any circumstances, be a place where anybody feels initimidated or uncomfortable as a visitor or poster."

Calling people BNP for no reason is pretty much this definition right here.

"even if that means your political view - which is clearly so terribly important it simply must be aired on a football message board at every possible opportunity"

If you don't want political views aired then fair enough let people know, add it to the rules of the site and clarify things. But it seems to be completely ok unless it clashes with your particular views on the matter when it seems fine to just delete them and then chuck some abuse and inneundo on some posters as a group without backing it up with names and examples to allow a right or reply .
[Post edited 27 Nov 2014 14:45]

Here f-ing here
Posting responses to threads. on 17:06 - Nov 27 with 1379 viewspomanjou

Posting responses to threads. on 17:01 - Nov 27 by essextaxiboy

Since you ask ..yes . What about the posters who share a common bond but want to chat about other stuff once in a while ? It fascinating to me that a Rangers fan who I would dance and hug with to celebrate a goal has such diverse opinions on everything else .

There is only so many threads especially in summer that can be started about Adel or Redknapp or Fernandes . As pointed out one post from an Aussie poster re the BNP is meaningless , that person has never experienced true rascism .

. I understand Clives fears , but personally I would prefer to keep the other debates .We have had some classics over the years . I dont want to go on any other forums thanks .

Mg neither. That's why I go all cuddly and ego stroking when Clive shouts at me

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Posting responses to threads. on 17:08 - Nov 27 with 1367 viewsNorthernr

Posting responses to threads. on 17:06 - Nov 27 by pomanjou

Mg neither. That's why I go all cuddly and ego stroking when Clive shouts at me

haha you've been called some stuff on here over the years Pom, but cuddly is a first

You've actually started a very useful thread here as it turns out.
Posting responses to threads. on 17:15 - Nov 27 with 1343 viewsYorkRanger

Posting responses to threads. on 16:55 - Nov 27 by paulparker

Fairplay York i misread your post re new members

anyway i don't see how this MB has dumbed down, ive read this MB since the Rival days, if anything its got more diverse with subjects & posters , surely that's a good thing ??
i do think some on here get their knickers in a twist very easily which is a shame
as when it came to the play off final a lot of people tried to help their fellow LFW members with tickets at cost value, that's what made this MB special in my eyes

Fair enough - no offence taken. As to dumbing down we can have a difference of opinion which, I guess, is what a message board is all about....

Login to get fewer ads

Posting responses to threads. on 17:16 - Nov 27 with 1333 viewsPinnerPaul

Posting responses to threads. on 15:29 - Nov 27 by YorkRanger

I think the easy answer here is that if people do not like the way Clive moderates this board then they should cease to use it and go elsewhere. As has been said the fact that this has moved from a lightly moderated board to one which needs much closer control and supervision tells its own story.

In addition (and to be clear I don't know Clive from Adam) it can hardly be much fun when he is away and cant get on to the board, to be worrying about what nonsense is being said that may need deleting.

LFW does seem a less grown up place these days. That can't be for the better

Exactly right York.

In real life if you're in a group and the conversation veers towards a subject you're not comfortable with, you walk away.

If that same group, in a pub say, started loudly expressing a view that the landlord thought was a)upsetting the majority of his customers and b) gave his pub a bad name he would ask them to stop or leave.

Pretty sure in that scenario the group WOULD leave and find another pub.

Its Clive's site /pub so he can pretty much do as he likes. Not at all relevant if you agree or not.

You have the choice to stay (and abide by the rules) or leave.

As others have said another option is to "walk away" as above ie not get involved in threads where you would rather not state/read opinions different to the majority.

I've disagreed with Clive over many (trivial) points but on this he is spot on.
Posting responses to threads. on 17:18 - Nov 27 with 1323 viewsessextaxiboy

Posting responses to threads. on 17:08 - Nov 27 by Northernr

haha you've been called some stuff on here over the years Pom, but cuddly is a first

You've actually started a very useful thread here as it turns out.

Well its better to talk it out Clive than you just delete threads and then you get another "where did that thread go " thread .....

I sort of get the impression that the board "owners" are very sensitive about this stuff re the advertising revenue and that maybe your hands are a bit tied ? Not all political debate is bad except in the days around a game IMO .
(No subject) (n/t) on 17:18 - Nov 27 with 1320 viewsNorthernr

I agree with this point of view. I'd never dream of making it a football only board - it would be boring as hell. Some of the best threads on here have been about other topics and that will continue.

At the moment I'm deleting threads on immigration, race and Muslims almost as a matter of course - nothing else - because the site is getting a reputation that is affecting its user numbers and will affect its appeal to the advertisers who pay for its existence. And it's not just one Aussie bloke on qpr.org or a couple of lefties who've emailed me. I've had many e-mail and pms, I have people talk to me about it on matchdays, I can see with my own eyes.

Everytime somebody reports a thread or post as abusive on here it sends me a text alert. Now as an example, the Sue Perkins thread last week that started perfectly innocently quickly descended into some really quite unplesant abuse, which in turn led to a load of reports of abuse. I was on holiday last weekend, do I need my phone buzzing in my pocket every 30 seconds when I'm in a restaurant or in bed trying to have a break from work? Probably not.

And as I've said, the immigration threads always go the same way with the same people. Starts off with a news story, thrown in like a grenade, goes off down a daily mail creeping sharia fcking mussies line for a while, then the lefties wade in and anybody who disagrees with them is some sort of troglodyte heathen, then a couple of posters will go at it for four or five pages, and it stays at the top of the board all week, eventually ending up at 14 or 15 pages, stopping only when the next grenade is lobbed. I don't care what anybody says, a potential new poster looking in here seeing that the most commented on, most read thread at the top of the board is some big row about Muslims will get an impression of the site that does it no good at all.

It's entirely wrong to say that by deleting them I'm showing which side of the argument I'm on. I know what I think and believe, I've never posted it on here, and I've deleted things from here that I agree with because I recognise that it is the sort of content that may intimidate people or put people off posting here or make the site look bad to passers by.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Posting responses to threads. on 17:19 - Nov 27 with 1319 viewsPinnerPaul

Posting responses to threads. on 15:46 - Nov 27 by EastR

I’m glad this subject has been brought up for discussion, for a while I thought it was just me.
There was a time (not that long ago) when almost without exception every thread on this forum was of interest. Or at the very least, worth a look.
Increasingly in the last few months I’ve found myself a less frequent visitor, and at least half of the threads wouldn’t don’t bother going anywhere near now because of the prevalence and pattern of opinions expressed that have become more prominent in that time.
In the past it was much easier to ignore some of the less savoury views expressed, but lately the overall profile makes that increasingly difficult to do.
If there is a place on the internet for the assortment of ill conceived, prejudiced, paranoid, jingoistic and fatuous views of some that are expressed here, then most certainly a football forum is not it.

Its not difficult to ignore at all, that's just silly.

I can honestly say nothing anyone has ever said on Twitter has upset me.........I don't go on twitter!

Simples!
Posting responses to threads. on 17:21 - Nov 27 with 1308 viewsNorthernr

Posting responses to threads. on 17:18 - Nov 27 by essextaxiboy

Well its better to talk it out Clive than you just delete threads and then you get another "where did that thread go " thread .....

I sort of get the impression that the board "owners" are very sensitive about this stuff re the advertising revenue and that maybe your hands are a bit tied ? Not all political debate is bad except in the days around a game IMO .

I think there's a perception that I delete threads far more often than I actually do!

And the "where did that thread go" response is attention seeking drivel. I deleted it. It's pretty bloody obvious. They don't disappear of their own accord!

Posting responses to threads. on 17:21 - Nov 27 with 1305 viewsPinnerPaul

Someone will ALWAYS find a reason to start another ***** thread about Adel!
Posting responses to threads. on 17:31 - Nov 27 with 1282 viewsTHEBUSH

Some posters on here annoy the fcuk out of me, but I don't want to see them banned.

I've not always agreed with Northern, but it's up to him, as to what he thinks is OTT and I'm happy with that.
Posting responses to threads. on 17:33 - Nov 27 with 1271 viewsessextaxiboy

Posting responses to threads. on 17:21 - Nov 27 by Northernr

I think there's a perception that I delete threads far more often than I actually do!

And the "where did that thread go" response is attention seeking drivel. I deleted it. It's pretty bloody obvious. They don't disappear of their own accord!

We have got a General Election coming up , probably the most interesting one for decades .It would be a shame IMO if we cant chat about that .After all we we will be safe in the Prem before then and the team will be on the beach . I dont want to go on some political geek site .I want to have a ding dong with my Rangers mates . II respect you coming on and clearing stuff up ...keep up the good work please
Posting responses to threads. on 17:39 - Nov 27 with 1249 viewsNorthernr

Posting responses to threads. on 17:33 - Nov 27 by essextaxiboy

We have got a General Election coming up , probably the most interesting one for decades .It would be a shame IMO if we cant chat about that .After all we we will be safe in the Prem before then and the team will be on the beach . I dont want to go on some political geek site .I want to have a ding dong with my Rangers mates . II respect you coming on and clearing stuff up ...keep up the good work please

Again, I agree with you. Political threads don't get deleted.

The ones that start "look what the muslims have done now" and descend into "you're a racist" "no you're the reason the country's going to the dogs" for 14 pages do.
Posting responses to threads. on 17:42 - Nov 27 with 1241 viewssimmo

This site would be nowhere near as good as it is/can be without alternative discussions to football. The recent one about the Berlin Wall etc was fascinating for a heathen like me. Similarly the 2 best threads I can recall in recent memory were the pun TV shows and the flat roofed pub one, neither of which are about football.

I think the issue is re-routing even innocent posts towards a certain political affiliation or posting some Daily Fail shite that was created with the intent to enrage/divide and provide website hits. This thread is proof that we can all actually be adults and have a proper conversation about potentially sensitive stuff without being offensive or abusive.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Posting responses to threads. on 17:50 - Nov 27 with 1221 viewsessextaxiboy

Posting responses to threads. on 17:42 - Nov 27 by simmo

This site would be nowhere near as good as it is/can be without alternative discussions to football. The recent one about the Berlin Wall etc was fascinating for a heathen like me. Similarly the 2 best threads I can recall in recent memory were the pun TV shows and the flat roofed pub one, neither of which are about football.

I think the issue is re-routing even innocent posts towards a certain political affiliation or posting some Daily Fail shite that was created with the intent to enrage/divide and provide website hits. This thread is proof that we can all actually be adults and have a proper conversation about potentially sensitive stuff without being offensive or abusive.

Talking about being an adult I particularly enjoyed a thread about Picolax
Posting responses to threads. on 18:13 - Nov 27 with 1193 viewsPhildo

So we all agree it is basically Fulham fans fault?we need to ban Konk right?😇
Posting responses to threads. on 18:21 - Nov 27 with 1177 viewsKingstan

I don't often post on this site because I feel i can only add input into the clubs past whilst I had a part of it. I am a lurker but this site is important to me and have followed it for many years. I love its diversity and is often very funny. Clive is spot on, this thread has thrown up a good debate and I do hate to see it mired with personal politics. Nick.
Posting responses to threads. on 18:30 - Nov 27 with 1162 viewsloftboy

Posting responses to threads. on 17:39 - Nov 27 by Northernr

Again, I agree with you. Political threads don't get deleted.

The ones that start "look what the muslims have done now" and descend into "you're a racist" "no you're the reason the country's going to the dogs" for 14 pages do.

Don't think you will get many decent political threads now UKIP are on the scene, aparantly if I vote for them I'm a member of the BNP

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Posting responses to threads. on 18:36 - Nov 27 with 1141 viewsDiscodroids

Posting responses to threads. on 18:30 - Nov 27 by loftboy

Don't think you will get many decent political threads now UKIP are on the scene, aparantly if I vote for them I'm a member of the BNP

heard the news this afternoon loftboy from bristol??..physically retching .

various daily newspaper message boards in meltdown, people are at their end of their collective tethers.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2014 18:38]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Posting responses to threads. on 18:57 - Nov 27 with 1090 viewskarl

Good post Essex.
I don't look at any other QPR site and i think on the whole this is a great mix of characters. With myself being a very infrequent visitor to LR and obviously Hibs and Scotland orientated, I find the debate great and whereas some of the opinions on Scotland during the referendum were kind of offensive to me i can accept that on the whole posters know that if a valid counter argument is put to them it becomes less offensive and moves to being proper debate so generally it takes a little time and things pan out imo. I do realise that the debate surrounding Muslims/Scotland are at different levels but on the whole thats how i think it pans out.
Clives opinion on Scottish football is another matter entirely......

Edit. Always find when we're struggling (and just off an international week) that people just don't get on the same, couple of wins and we'll be right!!
[Post edited 27 Nov 2014 19:00]
Posting responses to threads. on 19:08 - Nov 27 with 1064 viewsTHEBUSH

Posting responses to threads. on 17:50 - Nov 27 by essextaxiboy

Talking about being an adult I particularly enjoyed a thread about Picolax

Ah, I missed that thread, just been through all that palaver, Picolax is great stuff, works a treat.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024