Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday 15:02 - Nov 26 with 7599 viewsdanehoop

On a more positive note I am taking my boy to his first game on Saturday. It is his birthday the day before so will be a part of the special weekend for him.

Going to be a big challenge for him as he is autistic and crowd and noise will quite unnerving (we will be taking along his ear defenders just in case) but he is determined to come and see what makes dad so angry most Saturday afternoons. He already knows that Chelsea are scum and QPR are the best football team ever* and will be wearing his QPR hat and scarf.

Any advice for others who have been down this route recently of what to do keep a ten year old happy at the ground?

* Lets not burst that bubble just yet.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 15:12]

Never knowingly understood

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:08 - Nov 27 with 2777 viewssimmo

Can only add to what's above, the fact you're in the family stand is the best thing. I know it get's a lot of grief for where it's located but having that section, with the games, mascots, smiling helpers handing things out, etc. It makes this kind of thing a million times easier. Took my boy (six) to his 1st game last season and it was brilliant. He switched between the game and my phone but got carried away a few times once he relaxed into it.

The autism side is tough, but only you will really know how well he does in crowds and with explosions of noise, I am sure though he will draw his comfort from you and work everything else out himself, as always with children, they are a lot more robust than we seem to give them credit for. Good or bad it's a great experience for any kid and it's definitely ticking a box as far as obligations of being a dad are concerned :-)

Try not to stress too much, you know how perceptive young uns can be! Best of luck mate, let us know how it goes.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 11:40 - Nov 27 with 2743 viewspaulparker

Do yourself a favour Dane and clock his face as he walks up the steps into the stand
that alone is worth its weight in gold
good luck and hopefully your lad picks up the bug/addiction/Love that we all have for this rollercoaster of a football club

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 11:51 - Nov 27 with 2731 viewsDiscodroids

def a rite of passage, i took mine to a stunningly boring 1-1 draw at home to notts c*nty, a real glamour tie...he hasnt been back since!.

have a great day with your lad.

[Post edited 27 Nov 2014 11:51]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 11:51 - Nov 27 with 2739 viewsessextaxiboy

Make sure you are watching his face when he gets to the top of the steps . A magic moment , you may actually watch him getting hooked .....for life
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 12:00 - Nov 27 with 2725 viewsfrancisbowles

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:08 - Nov 27 by simmo

Can only add to what's above, the fact you're in the family stand is the best thing. I know it get's a lot of grief for where it's located but having that section, with the games, mascots, smiling helpers handing things out, etc. It makes this kind of thing a million times easier. Took my boy (six) to his 1st game last season and it was brilliant. He switched between the game and my phone but got carried away a few times once he relaxed into it.

The autism side is tough, but only you will really know how well he does in crowds and with explosions of noise, I am sure though he will draw his comfort from you and work everything else out himself, as always with children, they are a lot more robust than we seem to give them credit for. Good or bad it's a great experience for any kid and it's definitely ticking a box as far as obligations of being a dad are concerned :-)

Try not to stress too much, you know how perceptive young uns can be! Best of luck mate, let us know how it goes.

There was a similar thread last year before the Forest game where I mentioned that my own first game was a 5-2 win against Birmingham in 1970. That turned out to be a good omen as we duly did the same with some late action against Forest.

I took both my daughters to there first game together. It was a 4-3 win against Wycombe in League 1 days with two Wycombe players being sent off and a marching American band at half time. Very exciting stuff. They were about 9 and 6 at the time and I had just said we were going out for the day. We started off feeding the squirells in Ravenscourt Park and then went to visit a friend in the Bush. The older one threw a huge strop when she dicovered the real destination "I'm not going to football". I thought the afternoon was doomed but luckily my mate's sister calmed her down and we went and they had a great time. They are now 21 and 18 and although not regulars, they go occasionally and carry a little bit of the Rrrrr's in their hearts.

Anyway Danehoop, I hope you and your lad enjoy a great game on Saturday, with a good scoreline like mine and have some great memories to look back on. I hope he sees his name on the scoreboard at half time.

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 12:03 - Nov 27 with 2716 viewssimmo

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 12:00 - Nov 27 by francisbowles

There was a similar thread last year before the Forest game where I mentioned that my own first game was a 5-2 win against Birmingham in 1970. That turned out to be a good omen as we duly did the same with some late action against Forest.

I took both my daughters to there first game together. It was a 4-3 win against Wycombe in League 1 days with two Wycombe players being sent off and a marching American band at half time. Very exciting stuff. They were about 9 and 6 at the time and I had just said we were going out for the day. We started off feeding the squirells in Ravenscourt Park and then went to visit a friend in the Bush. The older one threw a huge strop when she dicovered the real destination "I'm not going to football". I thought the afternoon was doomed but luckily my mate's sister calmed her down and we went and they had a great time. They are now 21 and 18 and although not regulars, they go occasionally and carry a little bit of the Rrrrr's in their hearts.

Anyway Danehoop, I hope you and your lad enjoy a great game on Saturday, with a good scoreline like mine and have some great memories to look back on. I hope he sees his name on the scoreboard at half time.

That thread may have been from me, the boys first game was indeed the Forest win :-) Those last 10 minutes were great, he was up on the seats going crazy for the last 2!

He's not too fussed about going back but it was a great experience to be there with my son, as I was with my dad once upon a time, and so on...

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:12 - Nov 27 with 2681 viewsdanehoop

Thanks again for all of the helpful comments. We may just be looking at the scoreboard at half time. Just in case.......

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:48 - Nov 27 with 2674 viewslondonscottish

I took my boy to his first game when he was 5-ish at some point in the 2009/10 season. That night I asked him what his favourite part of the day was he took a deep breath and said "The bus"......

I was pleasantly surprised at how good all the fans were when they saw my little boy on my shoulders. I was vaguely worried about squeezing through the crowds but everyone was just great. Real family vibe

His little sister went to her first game last season at the age of seven and took to it like a duck to water.

The routine these days is to get there nice and early to watch all the warm up shenanigans, say hello to the mascots, etc.

It's a real joy. And I love seeing my little girl in her pink Rangers scarf. Cute as.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2014 15:50]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:51 - Nov 27 with 2670 viewssimmo

I took my boy to his first game when he was 5-ish at some point in the 2009/10 season. That night I asked him what his favourite part of the day was he took a deep breath and said "The bus"......

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:54 - Nov 27 with 2659 viewspaulparker

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:51 - Nov 27 by simmo

TBF to London Scottish's lad that was a sh*t season

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 11:21 - Nov 28 with 2612 viewsPinnerPaul

This is THE best thread we've had on here since the play off final!

Taking your kids/going with your loved ones is what football should be all about.

I still enjoy the games I can persuade my 25 yr old son to go to, equally enjoyable are the ones my Mum and Mrs PP get to as well.

Of course I can cope on my own if we win!
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 18:22 - Nov 28 with 2587 viewsFredManRave

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:51 - Nov 27 by simmo

Didn't Taarabt say something similar the night of the Fulham game?!

And good luck for tomorrow DaneHoop. I hope both you and your boy have a great day.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2014 18:23]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 18:56 - Nov 28 with 2571 viewsLblock

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 18:22 - Nov 28 by FredManRave

Didn't Taarabt say something similar the night of the Fulham game?!

And good luck for tomorrow DaneHoop. I hope both you and your boy have a great day.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2014 18:23]

Fred - how's things on that front with yourself? All good I hope mate

As to the rest of you -- I said it before and I will say it again.... they'll give you grief, cost you loads, worry you, test your patience and send you grey / bald but...... there's landmark moments you lot will have that will NEVER be taken away.
Good luck and keep on expanding this rag tag small band of brothers erstwhile known as Queens park Rangers Supporters.

C'MON U R's!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 08:51 - Dec 1 with 2527 viewssimmo

So....... How did it go?!

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 09:54 - Dec 1 with 2478 viewsWokingR

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 08:51 - Dec 1 by simmo

So....... How did it go?!

I bet he wishes he hadn't picked such a dull game

If your boy is not hooked now you've had it
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:22 - Dec 1 with 2340 viewsdanehoop

Was just looking for the thread to post this up.

My son had a great day, turned it into a big day out with dad. Straight onto big train to Waterloo at 12.50, forced our way through the Jubilee Line/Central Line chaos and wandered up to the ground at 14.15. Son getting quite excited at this point, but a little concerned by the noise. Picked up a programme (more later) and a copy of AKUTRs for dad. Through the turnstiles, met immediately by Spark for a fist bump, picture and then face painted (very pleased with that). Shot into the kids area, then grabbed hotdogs and went to the seats. My sons face when we walked into the stand was a picture, then when he saw a happy 10th birthday message on the score board it was really something special. Noise was already building as the crowd came in so we got his ear defenders on early which I think was the key thing for him to get used to the atmosphere.

Had great seats in Row B or PL block, which were fantastic as the sun set and the lights became apparent on making it a magical stage to watch the game. Jude came bouncing around and fist bumped the kids just before the game started. The Clash London calling was immediately recognised as Dad's ringtone and so something familiar which he identified with. Opening exchanges all looked good and the positive buzz was felt quite OK. Then he was baffled when Leicester scored in 3 minutes wanting to know what had happened and how we seemed to be letting them do it to us (I suspect as a 10 year old school boy he might have recognised the obvious flaws in approach which seem to beyond our defensive coaches).

Then the special moment - the equaliser and the place going nuts. Cue Pigbag and mad dancing, screaming and jumping up and down. This was the point I was worried about, the overload for his autistic sensibilities when the wall of sound and inexplicable behaviour takes place as the outpouring of happiness (and relief) from 17,000 fans hits you. For a second he was surprised, frightened and then realised everyone seemed to be happy and not angry. As soon as the Pigbag music started up and I started dancing him around he was away and loving it. Unsure a little as to what had just happened (we didnt get a great view of the goal - but knowing it was important.

After that the game flew past. He understood the finer use of English going on around him more than I hoped and certainly too much for me to tell his mum. Was a little baffled by chants about Kasper Schmichael and his dad, but took it in good heart. Then picked up on comments from behind us about Niko's inability to play on the wing and not running as much and related that back to me. When we scored a second he knew the form and went delirious with the rest of the crowd.

Half time he saw his name again, but this time on the big screen and then heard his name in the half time PA announcements which got his name spot on. That was a fantastic moment and the one he said afterwards was the best thing on the day for him.

Second half started, eyes down and equaliser for Leicester. Not a happy bunny and started joining with C'mon you R's. Charlie scores, madness descends again all around us and he was completely immersed in it all. I asked if he wanted to leave early so we could avoid the crowds and the rush. "No - I want to stay until the end!" as if suggesting such a thing was the most stupid thing ever. At the end, the whistle went after an eternity and we slowly left the ground.

Just made the train by seconds at Waterloo and managed to sit down and read the programme. Then he spotted his name on the message board at the back as was just made up. I asked him what he enjoyed the the most? "Seeing his name on the big screen, us scoring a goal and booing the other team." Does he want to go again? "Yes after Christmas please."

He is taking his photos and programme in today to tell everyone in his class about his great day out. They are all Chelsea where he goes to school - but none have actually been obviously. He now has become part of something special, and he knows it. He is an R.

A great day. Thank you to everyone who gave advice on here, Dave B and Loftboy in particular, really made it good to give him a narrative on what to expect and in how to approach the planning. Also a big thanks to the club as well who pulled out the stops at short notice on the programme and notice board arrangements.

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:29 - Dec 1 with 2323 viewspaulparker

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:22 - Dec 1 by danehoop

My son had a great day, turned it into a big day out with dad. Straight onto big train to Waterloo at 12.50, forced our way through the Jubilee Line/Central Line chaos and wandered up to the ground at 14.15. Son getting quite excited at this point, but a little concerned by the noise. Picked up a programme (more later) and a copy of AKUTRs for dad. Through the turnstiles, met immediately by Spark for a fist bump, picture and then face painted (very pleased with that). Shot into the kids area, then grabbed hotdogs and went to the seats. My sons face when we walked into the stand was a picture, then when he saw a happy 10th birthday message on the score board it was really something special. Noise was already building as the crowd came in so we got his ear defenders on early which I think was the key thing for him to get used to the atmosphere.

Had great seats in Row B or PL block, which were fantastic as the sun set and the lights became apparent on making it a magical stage to watch the game. Jude came bouncing around and fist bumped the kids just before the game started. The Clash London calling was immediately recognised as Dad's ringtone and so something familiar which he identified with. Opening exchanges all looked good and the positive buzz was felt quite OK. Then he was baffled when Leicester scored in 3 minutes wanting to know what had happened and how we seemed to be letting them do it to us (I suspect as a 10 year old school boy he might have recognised the obvious flaws in approach which seem to beyond our defensive coaches).

Then the special moment - the equaliser and the place going nuts. Cue Pigbag and mad dancing, screaming and jumping up and down. This was the point I was worried about, the overload for his autistic sensibilities when the wall of sound and inexplicable behaviour takes place as the outpouring of happiness (and relief) from 17,000 fans hits you. For a second he was surprised, frightened and then realised everyone seemed to be happy and not angry. As soon as the Pigbag music started up and I started dancing him around he was away and loving it. Unsure a little as to what had just happened (we didnt get a great view of the goal - but knowing it was important.

After that the game flew past. He understood the finer use of English going on around him more than I hoped and certainly too much for me to tell his mum. Was a little baffled by chants about Kasper Schmichael and his dad, but took it in good heart. Then picked up on comments from behind us about Niko's inability to play on the wing and not running as much and related that back to me. When we scored a second he knew the form and went delirious with the rest of the crowd.

Half time he saw his name again, but this time on the big screen and then heard his name in the half time PA announcements which got his name spot on. That was a fantastic moment and the one he said afterwards was the best thing on the day for him.

Second half started, eyes down and equaliser for Leicester. Not a happy bunny and started joining with C'mon you R's. Charlie scores, madness descends again all around us and he was completely immersed in it all. I asked if he wanted to leave early so we could avoid the crowds and the rush. "No - I want to stay until the end!" as if suggesting such a thing was the most stupid thing ever. At the end, the whistle went after an eternity and we slowly left the ground.

Just made the train by seconds at Waterloo and managed to sit down and read the programme. Then he spotted his name on the message board at the back as was just made up. I asked him what he enjoyed the the most? "Seeing his name on the big screen, us scoring a goal and booing the other team." Does he want to go again? "Yes after Christmas please."

He is taking his photos and programme in today to tell everyone in his class about his great day out. They are all Chelsea where he goes to school - but none have actually been obviously. He now has become part of something special, and he knows it. He is an R.

A great day. Thank you to everyone who gave advice on here, Dave B and Loftboy in particular, really made it good to give him a narrative on what to expect and in how to approach the planning. Also a big thanks to the club as well who pulled out the stops at short notice on the programme and notice board arrangements.

Glad you& your lad had a top day Dane , what a great game to go to as your 1st game, hopefully he will remember it when he gets to our age,
BTW I hope you told him its not like that every week

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:29 - Dec 1 with 2324 viewsChinajohn

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:22 - Dec 1 by danehoop

Fantastic Dane, really glad to hear he enjoyed it.
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:43 - Dec 1 with 2293 viewssimmo

Jesus, Dane, I was getting a lump in my throat reading that... What a brilliant experience for you and the boy. I am so pleased the game had the goals and excitement and with the little touches of familiarity (like your ringtone) it seemed everything went your way.

Even if you don't manage to repeat that you'll always have the memory and shared experience. Great stuff!

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:46 - Dec 1 with 2292 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brilliant, Dane. Delighted for both of you that it went so well!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:54 - Dec 1 with 2275 viewsquickpassrotter

Terrific stuff Dane. Pleased it went so well for you and your lad. What a match to pick !
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 11:09 - Dec 1 with 2252 viewslondonscottish

Dane, you have shamed me - in all the years I've been talking my boy I have never manged to get his name on one of the boards or in the programme.

Thanks for the great report!

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 11:21 - Dec 1 with 2241 viewskingsburyR

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 10:43 - Dec 1 by simmo

Jesus, Dane, I was getting a lump in my throat reading that... What a brilliant experience for you and the boy. I am so pleased the game had the goals and excitement and with the little touches of familiarity (like your ringtone) it seemed everything went your way.

Even if you don't manage to repeat that you'll always have the memory and shared experience. Great stuff!

Ditto to everything Simmo has just said.

Has brightened up a crap Monday morning!

You R'sssssssssss

(P.S. 50 years of doom and despair await!!!)
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 11:38]

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 11:25 - Dec 1 with 2234 viewsPommyhoop

Lovely story Dane.
Glad you both had a great day.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 11:36 - Dec 1 with 2169 viewsdaveB

Brilliant, so glad he enjoyed, what a great game for his first one as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024