Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday 15:02 - Nov 26 with 7747 viewsdanehoop

On a more positive note I am taking my boy to his first game on Saturday. It is his birthday the day before so will be a part of the special weekend for him.

Going to be a big challenge for him as he is autistic and crowd and noise will quite unnerving (we will be taking along his ear defenders just in case) but he is determined to come and see what makes dad so angry most Saturday afternoons. He already knows that Chelsea are scum and QPR are the best football team ever* and will be wearing his QPR hat and scarf.

Any advice for others who have been down this route recently of what to do keep a ten year old happy at the ground?

* Lets not burst that bubble just yet.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 15:12]

Never knowingly understood

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:10 - Nov 26 with 3158 viewsQPunkR

No advice from me but enjoy the game!

(and make sure you're not sitting where that little girl got tw@tted in the face by Yaya's shot a few weeks ago!)

QPR - "shit but local"

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:11 - Nov 26 with 3158 viewsloftboy

My eldest son is autistic, I started taking him when he was 8, did a bit of chair kicking at first but got used to it in the end, hopefully we get a good win and he will want to come back, where are you sitting?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:12 - Nov 26 with 3151 viewsrobith

During that famous Sheff Utd FA cup game a few years ago I was sat next to a dad and lad - the dad almost apologetically told me to not worry about his son as he was autistic. However, having that knowledge really helped. I helped him cheer on the team (a difficult task that night) and made sure not to shout too loudly (or indeed swear bloody murder at Paul Hart) or correct him when he declared Patrick Agyemang his favourite player.

So I'd say a quite word with the people around you, and it'll yield good rewards I feel
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:16 - Nov 26 with 3139 viewsdanehoop

PL Block in the lower loft, Row B, so hopefully a decent view.

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:17 - Nov 26 with 3133 viewsdanehoop

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 15:12 - Nov 26 by robith

During that famous Sheff Utd FA cup game a few years ago I was sat next to a dad and lad - the dad almost apologetically told me to not worry about his son as he was autistic. However, having that knowledge really helped. I helped him cheer on the team (a difficult task that night) and made sure not to shout too loudly (or indeed swear bloody murder at Paul Hart) or correct him when he declared Patrick Agyemang his favourite player.

So I'd say a quite word with the people around you, and it'll yield good rewards I feel

Good advice mate, thanks. Been quite apprehensive about this as he is a shy and sensitive type, but he seems to be really keen now, so fingers crossed he'll enjoy it.

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 16:40 - Nov 26 with 3062 viewsWokingR

As you can't rely on a win or the football being the captivating experience you would hope for you've got to make every other part of the day an exciting experience. Get his favourite lunch on the way, favourite sweets for during the game, a trip to the club shop for a treat and maybe round to the the main entrance at the end so he can see the players up close as they come out.
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 20:32 - Nov 26 with 3005 viewsdanehoop

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 16:40 - Nov 26 by WokingR

As you can't rely on a win or the football being the captivating experience you would hope for you've got to make every other part of the day an exciting experience. Get his favourite lunch on the way, favourite sweets for during the game, a trip to the club shop for a treat and maybe round to the the main entrance at the end so he can see the players up close as they come out.

Thanks Woking. A trip to Burger King is pretty much odds on at this stage, fruit pastelles are in the cupboard ready. Good advice on the players departure. What sort of time do they come out (excluding Adel obviously who has to catch an early bus home).

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 20:36 - Nov 26 with 2993 viewsNorthernr

Dave Barton wrote a tremendous piece for AKUTRs about taking his lad to his first game, who also has similar issues with the loud noises. Hoping he turns up on this thread because it was a great story...
Login to get fewer ads

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 21:03 - Nov 26 with 2964 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 20:36 - Nov 26 by Northernr

Dave Barton wrote a tremendous piece for AKUTRs about taking his lad to his first game, who also has similar issues with the loud noises. Hoping he turns up on this thread because it was a great story...

Make sure you get a programme just to look back on the day. In this day and age a few selfies too always helpful. Wish I made a note of details when I first took my sons. They no idea what their first game was. Mine was 1966 v leyton Orient. We won 4-1. Never forget it.
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 21:11 - Nov 26 with 2949 viewsdanehoop

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 21:03 - Nov 26 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Make sure you get a programme just to look back on the day. In this day and age a few selfies too always helpful. Wish I made a note of details when I first took my sons. They no idea what their first game was. Mine was 1966 v leyton Orient. We won 4-1. Never forget it.

As its his birthday the day before I spoke with the club (who have been brilliant in helping with this) and his name will be in the programme.

Just realised my first game was February 84 for 1-1 draw with West Ham. I hink I was in the Lower Loft then so thirty Years later we'll probably be in the same stand. Ouch, now I feel really old.

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 21:45 - Nov 26 with 2934 viewsWokingR

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 20:32 - Nov 26 by danehoop

Thanks Woking. A trip to Burger King is pretty much odds on at this stage, fruit pastelles are in the cupboard ready. Good advice on the players departure. What sort of time do they come out (excluding Adel obviously who has to catch an early bus home).

The away team will all come out together when their coach arrives. Usually about 30 minutes to an hour after the final whistle. Our own players will come out in dribs and drabs, some as early as 20 minutes after the final whistle especially the subs. Good access for the fans too as most of them will then walk up to the school end where they will have parked
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 22:31]
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 22:09 - Nov 26 with 2917 viewsdaveB

Thanks Clive, that's the article i'm most proud of since i started writing for the fanzine

Will try and keep it brief but hope this helps you danehoop. My son has trouble with his hearing, long story but short version is was born with a cleft lip and palate which after the operations affected his hearing so loud noises hurt his ears and his attention span is not the best.

Me and the misses spoke a lot about taking him to QPR and opted to take him young so although it would be hard to start with he’d get used to the noise so we picked games carefully where we should win and do so without the kind of manic noise you get for Chelsea at home. We picked badly and lost most of the ones we took him to at first.

He went to his first home game just after his 1st birthday and on and off for the next few years but has been a regular since the start of last season. He's 5 and a half now, the half is key so he tells me

The first few games i took him to he cried hysterically when we scored, few times we had to take him home early, we tried things like headphones to cancel sound out and using my ipod to let him listen to music but none of it completely successful.

Last year was make or break really especially with the new rules in the family stand so he either went every week or we gave up his ticket for a few years. First game of the season he cried when Sheff Wed scored then the noise hurt his ears when we equalised. I thought that was it but chatted to him and explained that it’s loud because everyone is happy, we then scored again and he cried a bit less and said from now on he was going to enjoy the goals.

Two weeks later we played Ipswich and scored a last minute winner, cue manic celebrations, my mate forgetting about Freddie and jumping over him to grab me, bodies everywhere your typical big goal celebration. All I could think was that’s it he’s scarred for life this is all over but to my eternal surprise he was punching the air, cheering and laughing. He had just about got over the noise thing and just embraced it. Since then he has celebrated every goal, some more than others, he runs round the house singing about Bobby Zamora and Charlie Austin and when playing football shouts at himself to wake up rangers and sort it out if he doesn’t score. Seeing the change has been incredible. He looks forward to games more than i do at the moment.

It’s still not perfect and I won’t pretend it wasn’t difficult at first but it’s very rewarding to go to games with him now, his only tears since were at the Liverpool game when we conceded that late winner and he cried that it wasn’t fair.

I know the family stand isn’t popular but they will help your boys day better. When you get to the ground Spark will greet you with a load of QPR staff who do face painting and hand out QPR bingo cards which do keep kids amused for 5 mins and keep me amused for a lot longer. It also has space for a match report on the back, I get y kid to draw a picture on it when he gets bored.

They have a games room with a table football, colouring, board games and a Nintendo wii, to find it walk towards the stairs and turn left by the stairs for the upper loft, it’s along there in the study centre and only open before the game.

As he’s 10 he’ll probably be interested more in the game but I find with the younger one telling him stories during the game and trying to keep him interested helps.

That went on a bit into a ramble but am sure you’ll have a great day and if it doesn’t go as planned don’t worry just keep trying and in the end your son will enjoy it regardless of how shit the team is.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 22:13]
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 22:35 - Nov 26 with 2878 viewsNorthernr

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 22:09 - Nov 26 by daveB

Thanks Clive, that's the article i'm most proud of since i started writing for the fanzine

Will try and keep it brief but hope this helps you danehoop. My son has trouble with his hearing, long story but short version is was born with a cleft lip and palate which after the operations affected his hearing so loud noises hurt his ears and his attention span is not the best.

Me and the misses spoke a lot about taking him to QPR and opted to take him young so although it would be hard to start with he’d get used to the noise so we picked games carefully where we should win and do so without the kind of manic noise you get for Chelsea at home. We picked badly and lost most of the ones we took him to at first.

He went to his first home game just after his 1st birthday and on and off for the next few years but has been a regular since the start of last season. He's 5 and a half now, the half is key so he tells me

The first few games i took him to he cried hysterically when we scored, few times we had to take him home early, we tried things like headphones to cancel sound out and using my ipod to let him listen to music but none of it completely successful.

Last year was make or break really especially with the new rules in the family stand so he either went every week or we gave up his ticket for a few years. First game of the season he cried when Sheff Wed scored then the noise hurt his ears when we equalised. I thought that was it but chatted to him and explained that it’s loud because everyone is happy, we then scored again and he cried a bit less and said from now on he was going to enjoy the goals.

Two weeks later we played Ipswich and scored a last minute winner, cue manic celebrations, my mate forgetting about Freddie and jumping over him to grab me, bodies everywhere your typical big goal celebration. All I could think was that’s it he’s scarred for life this is all over but to my eternal surprise he was punching the air, cheering and laughing. He had just about got over the noise thing and just embraced it. Since then he has celebrated every goal, some more than others, he runs round the house singing about Bobby Zamora and Charlie Austin and when playing football shouts at himself to wake up rangers and sort it out if he doesn’t score. Seeing the change has been incredible. He looks forward to games more than i do at the moment.

It’s still not perfect and I won’t pretend it wasn’t difficult at first but it’s very rewarding to go to games with him now, his only tears since were at the Liverpool game when we conceded that late winner and he cried that it wasn’t fair.

I know the family stand isn’t popular but they will help your boys day better. When you get to the ground Spark will greet you with a load of QPR staff who do face painting and hand out QPR bingo cards which do keep kids amused for 5 mins and keep me amused for a lot longer. It also has space for a match report on the back, I get y kid to draw a picture on it when he gets bored.

They have a games room with a table football, colouring, board games and a Nintendo wii, to find it walk towards the stairs and turn left by the stairs for the upper loft, it’s along there in the study centre and only open before the game.

As he’s 10 he’ll probably be interested more in the game but I find with the younger one telling him stories during the game and trying to keep him interested helps.

That went on a bit into a ramble but am sure you’ll have a great day and if it doesn’t go as planned don’t worry just keep trying and in the end your son will enjoy it regardless of how shit the team is.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 22:13]

There it is.
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 22:54 - Nov 26 with 2860 viewsPunteR

Took my youngest (6)to his first game last season who has health issues, i had to take him out a few times because of the noise but he acclimatized after a while . I guess, be as reassuring and patient as you can be.
My oldest whose 13 now, loves it.
Treats, club shop, also help.
Hope you and your lad enjoy the game.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 23:02 - Nov 26 with 2853 viewsLblock

daveB - I don't have kids but I tell you what, that put a proper lump in my throat

I don't mind not having a couple of mini blockers, decision we made a good few years back. But sometimes reading about magical experiences like you've just described does get me right in the pit. Very, very touching and you guys are lucky
Plus, despite all the shizen, what a wonderful thing it is to love your little old football club

I really really really really really REALLY hope the lads can do the bizz for Danehoops little this Saturday --- have a good one fella & junior

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 23:19 - Nov 26 with 2826 viewsted_hendrix

Dane I hope you and you're lad have a great day.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 23:19 - Nov 26 with 2825 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Best of luck, danehoop. Don't have kids myself but I would agree that it's best to make the whole day an event and not just the ninety minutes. I used to bring my sister who's much younger than me and that's how she got hooked - nice bit of grub, chats with other fans (the ladies at the front of the Loft were angels to her), programme, fanzine, club shop etc. Then, and most likely now, it was also about her bragging to her friends so having your son's name in the programme will go down very well! Selfies, facebook etc will surely also make the whole day an event that he'll savour.

Wish you both well.

PS Some lovely posts on here.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 23:27 - Nov 26 with 2816 viewsdanehoop

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 22:35 - Nov 26 by Northernr

There it is.

Dave,

Thank you for sharing that. Really encouraging and very moving as well. Thanks as well for others comments as well. Feel a little less worried now, Danehoop junior will hopefully sail through the whole thing oblivious to all my concerns. Good to have an understanding of what to look for in the family stand and to help get him prepared for the day (autism takes a lot of planning for anything new).

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 23:29 - Nov 26 with 2814 viewsCiderwithRsie

This thread is why we're all Rs
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 23:47 - Nov 26 with 2797 viewsbluetooth

My daughter first game was a quite first half full of tight hand squeezes and look that could kill. Second half a early goal and bang she was off with the singing. My two boys were ducks to water.
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 23:48 - Nov 26 with 2796 viewsbluetooth

Good luck with Sat hope he enjoys 3 goals and 3 points
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 00:48 - Nov 27 with 2773 viewsKonk

I don't have the luxury of supporting the same club side as my Dad, but going to a game with him is pretty much my perfect Saturday. Football can be such a pile of sh it, but when I'm at the football with family, mates and their kids...it's impossible not to see its worth. Take distractions like books, sweets etc, try not to get wound up - it's meant to be fun after all - and you'll have a bond for life. He'll love sharing that with you as he gets older - I wish my Dad was Fulham.

Enjoy it - you'll have a grand time.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 03:11 - Nov 27 with 2735 viewsJAPRANGERS

Hope you and your son have a great day Dane! And I hope Rangers oblige by grabbing a much needed 3 points. You RRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 08:48 - Nov 27 with 2684 viewsMrSheen

At Master Sheen's first game, someone pulled a gun on Paladini and Stefan Moore scored. I had to tell him it wouldn't always be this good.
Taking my boy to his first game on Saturday on 09:18 - Nov 27 with 2666 viewsWokingR

You're biggest problem on the day will be the bit none of us have any control over and that is the performance on the pitch. If they put in a limp display and concede early it will be very difficult to stop him picking up on a negative and or aggressive atmosphere which for little kids can be quite imtimidating and off putting. It just won't seem like a fun place to be.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024