Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
R.I.P Philip Hughes 05:09 - Nov 27 with 3104 viewsQPR1882

Thoughts go out to his family and friends, and also to Sean Abbott lets hope he gets all the help there is available to him.
R.I.P Philip Hughes on 12:09 - Nov 27 with 1196 viewsade_qpr

Sent out by South Australian Cricket Association couple of hours ago

Vale Phillip Hughes
Thursday, 27 November 2014
Dear SACA Member
It is with great sadness that I can confirm the tragic passing of South Australian player Phillip Hughes.
Phillip, 25, passed away this afternoon as a result of injuries suffered on Tuesday while batting in the Bupa Sheffield Shield match against New South Wales at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Our immediate thoughts are with Phillip’s family who were with him at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney. He had many friends and team-mates both here and interstate that will need support, and it is important we offer them our love and care as we all come to terms with this tragic event.
Additionally, as a SACA member, I also know you will be feeling enormous sadness today, as Phillip was an extremely popular and admired player for Australia, West End Redbacks and Adelaide Strikers.
I can tell you the entire cricketing community is in shock, and struggling to come to terms with the events of this week. He was much-loved and a truly remarkable talent, and I think we were very lucky to have experienced having him around our playing group for the past two years.
He was a crowd favourite — particularly with our young fans — and an outstanding leader, who has left an indelible impression on our playing group.
Phillip moved to South Australia in 2012, and quickly regained his spot in the Australian team, as well as establishing himself as a leader at Adelaide Oval.
Our thoughts are for the Hughes family, as well as the players from the West End Redbacks, Adelaide Strikers, New South Wales and Australian Cricket teams, who were all very close to Phillip.
The support for Phillip over the last few days from the Australian and international cricket community has been overwhelming, as well as the many messages of support that we have received from our Members.
A prodigious talent, he played 26 Test matches for Australia, averaging 32.65, making three Test centuries. He was the youngest player to score back to back centuries in the same match, in only his second Test. In his 114 first class matches, he scored more than 9000 runs, at an average of 46.51.
This is a very tough time for everyone, but I think it is important we take a moment to remember what a fine young man he was. SACA, with Phillip’s family, is now in the process of determining an appropriate opportunity to pay tribute to Phillip at a later date, and certainly at next month’s Test match.
Thank you again for your support this week; it’s been a difficult time for us all, but the support and spirit of the cricket community has been enormous.
Keith Bradshaw
SACA chief executive

RIP Phil

and head up young Abbott (he is shattered by what's happened as they were friends )

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 12:11 - Nov 27 with 1190 viewsElHoop

I think that they have to take a look at whether there's a greater risk of this sort of thing happening in the modern game, and if there isn't then it's just a freak injury and part of the risk of playing cricket or any other game in which you can get hit on the neck by something. I agree that you need to be able to move your head without restriction. I don't think that very many players have been killed over the years, whether they wore helmets or not.
R.I.P Philip Hughes on 12:16 - Nov 27 with 1185 viewssimmo

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 12:11 - Nov 27 by ElHoop

I think that they have to take a look at whether there's a greater risk of this sort of thing happening in the modern game, and if there isn't then it's just a freak injury and part of the risk of playing cricket or any other game in which you can get hit on the neck by something. I agree that you need to be able to move your head without restriction. I don't think that very many players have been killed over the years, whether they wore helmets or not.

I think it's just a hazard of the job, no? It's very rare as far as I can tell and they take the necessary precuations through helmets and padding etc. At the end of it all you're in a game where people are throwing or whacking a rock hard ball around, injuries will happen, in this tragic case, it led to someone dying. It's just a really sad and unfortunate accident and I hope those involved don't beat themselves up about it too much.

Maybe there should be additional protection for players to wear at their discretion? Like Petr Cech and his rugby helmet, etc. It's there if you want it but not mandatory.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 12:19 - Nov 27 with 1177 viewsDeano19766

Died playing my favourite sport. Was absolutely gutted to hear this news this morning. I hope his family and friends can seek solace in the fact he died doing what he loved and what he was best at - playing THE game.

RIP Phil. The full depths of your undoubted talent with a cricket bat we will never now see
R.I.P Philip Hughes on 13:24 - Nov 27 with 1143 viewsisawqpratwcity

surgeon on tv here was saying this was a one in ten million chance (whatever that means): only about a hundred cases ever documented, only the second in cricket.

nb, brett lee was there today. as much to support the bowler as the family, i'd hope

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 22:08 - Nov 27 with 1017 viewsBeauRanger

Very sad news...RIP
R.I.P Philip Hughes on 22:24 - Nov 27 with 998 viewsCiderwithRsie

Shocking and so sad. Apparently a very popular guy when he was at Middx, and seemed an amazing talent when he first emerged - he seemed like the big wicket to get when the Aussies began their 2007 tour.

Ultimately it seems like a freak injury. I imagine there'll be a good look at helmet design. But any sport involves taking risks and pushing the body - people have died while running, after all.

In the end, if he'd been stopped from playing cricket it would have saved his life but I think he would have hated that. Mourn him but celebrate what he achieved and how he lived his life too.
R.I.P Philip Hughes on 23:39 - Nov 27 with 975 viewsthemodfather

sad news, so young and a freak accident....a great talent , RIP.
Login to get fewer ads

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 01:42 - Nov 28 with 935 viewsKiwi76

Really upsetting and seems even worse with two young players involved.
Think everyone has acted with great dignity at very tough time and hope they do postpone first test. See Kiwi's v Pakistan didn't play today to show respects.
Don't think rules need changing but hopefully some of the excesses of sledging/intimidation might be eradicated - not so sure though...
R.I.P Philip Hughes on 08:36 - Nov 28 with 902 viewsPommyhoop

Very very sad.
Agree with Kiwi.Everyone has been very very dignified.
Just watched a lovely short tribute from the man himself Richie Benaud on 9 news.
His short clipped words saying 'Dads best mate ' coupled with a pic of Philip with his arm round his Dad moved me to tears.
RIP Philip.
And chin up Sean.Embrace the support offered from everyone. It was just a horrible freak accident.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 09:15 - Nov 28 with 879 viewsElHoop

Nice video tribute but very sad:

http://www.cricket.com.au/video/adam-goldfinch-video-tribute-to-phillip-hughes/2
R.I.P Philip Hughes on 09:24 - Nov 28 with 869 viewsPommyhoop

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 09:15 - Nov 28 by ElHoop

Nice video tribute but very sad:

http://www.cricket.com.au/video/adam-goldfinch-video-tribute-to-phillip-hughes/2

Great vid El. That pic of him with his Dad at the end was the one in Richie Benaud's little tribute.
So f'cking sad.

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 09:32 - Nov 28 with 862 viewsElHoop

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 09:24 - Nov 28 by Pommyhoop

Great vid El. That pic of him with his Dad at the end was the one in Richie Benaud's little tribute.
So f'cking sad.

Yeah it's tough to watch. When he was heading the ball and stuff - how must his team-mates be thinking? They said on the radio that his flatmate was the batsman at the other end - really tough for him too. Not sure that they should play the India test quite so soon.
R.I.P Philip Hughes on 10:54 - Nov 28 with 838 viewsElHoop

I like the #putoutyourbats thing:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/putoutyourbats?src=hash
R.I.P Philip Hughes on 11:04 - Nov 28 with 832 viewsPommyhoop

R.I.P Philip Hughes on 10:54 - Nov 28 by ElHoop

I like the #putoutyourbats thing:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/putoutyourbats?src=hash

Yeah its good eh? I think Adam Gilchrist started it off and its grown.
Not shmaltsy or sugary ,just people who love the game he loved showing their support/grief/feelings.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024