Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andros Townsend 20:22 - Nov 27 with 2644 viewsbosh67

Not in the team for Spurs tonight and seems to rarely get a chance at the moment. For a player who looked so promising here and for England it seems strange that even though he has had some injuries he does seem to have fallen down the pecking order.

Would love to get him back on loan in the next window. He shone with us and as is the case with some players, I get the feeling that he would shine again in hoops.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Andros Townsend on 12:17 - Nov 28 with 765 viewsJamie

Andros Townsend on 11:02 - Nov 28 by hoof_hearted

We lack pace.

We lack anyone with a decent shot from distance.

He was our best player when we were bottom of the league last time for several games but I realise that we are so much better now that we are...oh, bottom of the league...

£8m for a young England capped player would be sensible spending. Easily get the money back if we get relegated.

The difference is that we are better than last time and he is still the same player.

Started off well with us, cut inside from the right and shoot on sight, before teams cottoned on and showed him outside where he was clueless.

Started off well with Spurs, cut inside from the right and shoot on sight, before teams cottoned on and showed him outside where he was clueless.

Won't be a PL player long term IMO.
Andros Townsend on 12:31 - Nov 28 with 744 viewsAntti_Heinola

Andros Townsend on 11:21 - Nov 28 by Toast_R

Personally whenever I've seen him I've thought he was quality. Drives at defenders which is something QPR simply don't have the ability to do at the moment other then Vargas, and we've seen what a difference he makes.

To say Townsend isn't good enough for QPR and can't shoot? I find that odd considering the goals he's got.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2014 11:22]

Based on the first four months of last season, just before he stopped being a regular in the Spurs side, Townsend had taken on more shots than any other player in the league - 45, averaging around 5 per game. His shots to goal ratio was 1 in 45. By contrast, Giroud was second, with 43 shots, but he scored a goal every six shots. Townsend's one goal was a cross at Everton, and was a fluke.

That's why people say his shooting is poor. You could argue that his shooting is good, and make a case for it based on his tremendous goals, in which case the prosecution would then point out that his decision-making is absolutely diabolical, because very clearly he shoots when he shouldn't.

I like him as a player, i like his attitude, I wouldn't even be that averse to signing him. But my opinion is he simply does not have the end product to justify the fee he would likely command.

Bare bones.

Andros Townsend on 12:42 - Nov 28 with 736 viewsPhilmyRs

Andros Townsend on 12:17 - Nov 28 by Jamie

The difference is that we are better than last time and he is still the same player.

Started off well with us, cut inside from the right and shoot on sight, before teams cottoned on and showed him outside where he was clueless.

Started off well with Spurs, cut inside from the right and shoot on sight, before teams cottoned on and showed him outside where he was clueless.

Won't be a PL player long term IMO.

To be pedantic it wasn’t just as simple as ‘show him on the outside’, it was also a case of teams showing him inside but denying him space and moving as a unit by pressing him high up the field so he got robbed of the ball on quite a few occasions when he did cut in.

I think the question is more a case of now that he’s been found out (to an extent), is he good enough to adapt and add something to his game? can he develop the right foot? (I don’t think it’s too bad at the moment but could be improved), can he improve his decision making? e.g. releasing the ball first time on occasion, can he be much more effective without the ball, such as by making more runs in behind?

He seems like a hard worker to me and someone willing to learn and add to his game, for that reason I think he would be a good addition, but not for £8mn. There are traces of Sinton’s play in him, although nowhere near that level, but I think there’s a useful premier league player there, just not one that’s worth £8mn….yet.
Andros Townsend on 12:49 - Nov 28 with 726 viewsPommyhoop

Andros Townsend on 12:42 - Nov 28 by PhilmyRs

To be pedantic it wasn’t just as simple as ‘show him on the outside’, it was also a case of teams showing him inside but denying him space and moving as a unit by pressing him high up the field so he got robbed of the ball on quite a few occasions when he did cut in.

I think the question is more a case of now that he’s been found out (to an extent), is he good enough to adapt and add something to his game? can he develop the right foot? (I don’t think it’s too bad at the moment but could be improved), can he improve his decision making? e.g. releasing the ball first time on occasion, can he be much more effective without the ball, such as by making more runs in behind?

He seems like a hard worker to me and someone willing to learn and add to his game, for that reason I think he would be a good addition, but not for £8mn. There are traces of Sinton’s play in him, although nowhere near that level, but I think there’s a useful premier league player there, just not one that’s worth £8mn….yet.

Good post. But while Levy is over there and H is over here he will cost 8 mill at the very least.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Andros Townsend on 12:54 - Nov 28 with 723 viewsW7Ranger

Like we have the arrogance to turn down a young talent with decent attacking ability like Townsend!!

Like we have the arrogance to only buy a player who is the "finished product"!!

We're bottom of the league ffs. We need a spark, we need a player who can cause problems and create things. The only player we have that's similar to that is Vargas. Could the problem with Townsend be the same problem that most players and Spurs have this season? It's just not clicking for them. Spurs have a LOT of talent on there books, but they're all playing shyte! Not just Townsend! Does it mean they're all sh!t??? Have any of you thought that there might be something wrong at the club (formations, tactics, coaching, disharmony etc) as oppose to a squad full of sh!t players???!!!

Sometimes players need new clubs and a change of scenery to kick start there careers again. Look at Vargas for example - he's done fcuk all in Italy, looks how well he's doing with us!!

Les Ferdinand wasn't all that when he first joined us. He went out on loan to Besiktas and came back a completely different player!

If you want the finished article then we're gonna have to pay through the nose for one! Can't believe we've suddenly become such a picky bunch of fans! Don't want experienced players cos they're too old!! Don't want young players because they're not the finished article yet!!!
[Post edited 28 Nov 2014 12:56]
Andros Townsend on 12:59 - Nov 28 with 711 viewsCiderwithRsie

Andros Townsend on 12:49 - Nov 28 by Pommyhoop

Good post. But while Levy is over there and H is over here he will cost 8 mill at the very least.

Before everyone gets carried away with the wisdom or otherwise of spending £8m, the OP does say "loan" btw.
Andros Townsend on 13:00 - Nov 28 with 705 viewsPommyhoop

Andros Townsend on 12:54 - Nov 28 by W7Ranger

Like we have the arrogance to turn down a young talent with decent attacking ability like Townsend!!

We're bottom of the league ffs. We need a spark, we need a player who can cause problems and create things. The only player we have that's similar to that is Vargas. Could the problem with Townsend be the same problem that most players and Spurs have this season? It's just not clicking for them. Spurs have a LOT of talent on there books, but they're all playing shyte! Not just Townsend! Does it mean they're all sh!t??? Have any of you thought that there might be something wrong at the club (formations, tactics, coaching, disharmony etc) as oppose to a squad full of sh!t players???!!!

Sometimes players need new clubs and a change of scenery to kick start there careers again. Look at Vargas for example - he's done fcuk all in Italy, looks how well he's doing with us!!

Les Ferdinand wasn't all that when he first joined us. He went out on loan to Besiktas and came back a completely different player!

If you want the finished article then we're gonna have to pay through the nose for one! Can't believe we've suddenly become such a picky bunch of fans! Don't want experienced players cos they're too old!! Don't want young players because they're not the finished article yet!!!

8 million pound..
8 million f'cking pound..
How much was Les?
How much was Vargas.?
Being ex Spurs and being an old H Redknapp player adds about 5 million to the price.

Andros Townsend on 13:22 - Nov 28 with 688 viewsW7Ranger

Andros Townsend on 13:00 - Nov 28 by Pommyhoop

8 million pound..
8 million f'cking pound..
How much was Les?
How much was Vargas.?
Being ex Spurs and being an old H Redknapp player adds about 5 million to the price.

1) Where did this figure 8million quid come from? Have we put in a bid?

2) Is only 23 and has played for his country (scoring 2 good goals too) and is likely to be involved again in future.

3) According to some he's so over rated the fee is irrelevant anyway!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Andros Townsend on 13:27 - Nov 28 with 684 viewsLoft1979

Andros Townsend on 22:43 - Nov 27 by PunteR

I'd take Townsend in a flash. Great player,that's probably raised high expectations. I obviously don't watch him week in and out but the games I've seen him in, he's always causing defenses problems . Good crosser as well,which we need.

And play him where? Ahead of Vargas?
Said this elsewhere but another player who has been undone is Nabil Bentalib who I think would be great. I like the idea of a leak proff defense, then let Charlie and Vargas free up top.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2014 13:33]
Andros Townsend on 13:41 - Nov 28 with 675 viewsTacticalR

Andros Townsend on 12:31 - Nov 28 by Antti_Heinola

Based on the first four months of last season, just before he stopped being a regular in the Spurs side, Townsend had taken on more shots than any other player in the league - 45, averaging around 5 per game. His shots to goal ratio was 1 in 45. By contrast, Giroud was second, with 43 shots, but he scored a goal every six shots. Townsend's one goal was a cross at Everton, and was a fluke.

That's why people say his shooting is poor. You could argue that his shooting is good, and make a case for it based on his tremendous goals, in which case the prosecution would then point out that his decision-making is absolutely diabolical, because very clearly he shoots when he shouldn't.

I like him as a player, i like his attitude, I wouldn't even be that averse to signing him. But my opinion is he simply does not have the end product to justify the fee he would likely command.

To be honest I have developed a mortal fear of players (such as Hoilett) who just get the ball, get their heads down, and run towards the goal.

In one way such players are impressive, as they can go past other players. That's why they can have a career. But many of them seem to have no vision of the game, no conception of the best pass, no conception of the team. They are the polar opposite of players like Niko who, whatever his limitations, always has his head up looking for the best option, or the players in the German national side.

Such players do have a place in the world. They are normally most effective when brought on towards the end of a match and can run against tiring defenders.

Air hostess clique

Andros Townsend on 13:46 - Nov 28 with 668 viewsPommyhoop

Andros Townsend on 13:41 - Nov 28 by TacticalR

To be honest I have developed a mortal fear of players (such as Hoilett) who just get the ball, get their heads down, and run towards the goal.

In one way such players are impressive, as they can go past other players. That's why they can have a career. But many of them seem to have no vision of the game, no conception of the best pass, no conception of the team. They are the polar opposite of players like Niko who, whatever his limitations, always has his head up looking for the best option, or the players in the German national side.

Such players do have a place in the world. They are normally most effective when brought on towards the end of a match and can run against tiring defenders.

Great post.
.One change tho .Adel for Niko.

Andros Townsend on 14:40 - Nov 28 with 639 viewsfrancisbowles

Andros Townsend on 13:27 - Nov 28 by Loft1979

And play him where? Ahead of Vargas?
Said this elsewhere but another player who has been undone is Nabil Bentalib who I think would be great. I like the idea of a leak proff defense, then let Charlie and Vargas free up top.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2014 13:33]

On the LEFT!!!!!!
Andros Townsend on 14:51 - Nov 28 with 625 viewsAntti_Heinola

Andros Townsend on 12:54 - Nov 28 by W7Ranger

Er, I don't remember Les Ferdinand costing us £8m! I think everyone believes Townsend is not a bad player, but £8m is a silly fee to pay - and that's the salient point which you've completely ignored.

Bare bones.

Andros Townsend on 15:12 - Nov 28 with 609 viewsW7Ranger

Andros Townsend on 14:51 - Nov 28 by Antti_Heinola

Er, I don't remember Les Ferdinand costing us £8m! I think everyone believes Townsend is not a bad player, but £8m is a silly fee to pay - and that's the salient point which you've completely ignored.

Have we put in a bid for £8million?

Also, £8m really that expensive for an International 23 year old who's value is likely to increase (or at least remain the same) over the next few years? His best years are still ahead of him.

Would £5m be more acceptable to the doubters then? That saving of £3m going to keep us afloat is it?

Would rather Andros than Defoe. Lower wages and better investment.

If Andros was the difference in staying up or going down, £8m (or £5m!) would be a sound investment imo.
Andros Townsend on 15:19 - Nov 28 with 603 viewsTacticalR

Andros Townsend on 11:26 - Nov 28 by Pommyhoop

And these training tops.

Just saying like..

Blue for a boy...

Air hostess clique

Andros Townsend on 15:48 - Nov 28 with 571 viewsPommyhoop

Andros Townsend on 15:12 - Nov 28 by W7Ranger

Also, £8m really that expensive for an International 23 year old who's value is likely to increase (or at least remain the same) over the next few years? His best years are still ahead of him.

Would £5m be more acceptable to the doubters then? That saving of £3m going to keep us afloat is it?

If Andros was the difference in staying up or going down, £8m (or £5m!) would be a sound investment imo.

8 million is far too much for a one trick pony who has fallen out of favour for both club and country.
8 million is a price only our one eyed manager will pay.
There wont be no bidding war ,no other clubs swooping in like Norwich did for Hooper or Fulham did for Parker .
Just a little nod and a wink between Levy and H and 8 mill changed hands and Tone pulling his pants up quick.
Lets just see how many clubs think he's worth anywhere near 8 mill.

And no I dont want Defoe with his high wages either..

Andros Townsend on 15:53 - Nov 28 with 565 viewsHunterhoop

Andros Townsend on 11:03 - Nov 28 by paulparker

Any chance our recruitment could come anywhere bar Tottenham fcuking Hotspurs
Townsend is ok, but he is injury prone FFS
the thought of Daniel Levy doing us over for another 8 million on a crock doesn't bear thinking about
hey here is a wacky idea how about we coach Phillips into being a winger , you know he is fast , young and has potential or shell we sell him to Palace for a million instead

Agree.

I actually think Townsend is pretty decent. Certainly good enough for a bottom 6 club.

But we have Phillips. He's young, he's fast, he's got a bullet of a shot on him. Just f*cking coach and develop him! That doesn't cost money.

Stop signing players, Rangers! Everyone, stop seeing "signings" as the solution to every problem!

We have a manager and we have (loads of) coaches. They need to be coaching and getting the best out of the players we have!! That's the issue. That's where we should be focusing.

How many of our players are we "getting the best out of" at the minute? Austin? Yun? Henry? Vargas? Zamora?

How many have, in their career to date, played better than they are currently? How many are young and should become better through good coaching and training?? The rest of the squad...20 odd players. There's the bloodu issue.

Buying ex Spurs players, even if they happened to be as good as Leo f*cking Messi, is not the solution for a club or our size and means.

When will people grasp this?!
Andros Townsend on 15:55 - Nov 28 with 562 viewspaulparker

Andros Townsend on 15:12 - Nov 28 by W7Ranger

the bloke is injury prone & has hardly played since that goal for England against Poland
it would be a terrible signing ,
wouldn't it be nice if we found players like Pelle , Tosic, Sakho, Valencia , Perez rather than the spurs treatment table ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Andros Townsend on 16:01 - Nov 28 with 556 viewsWadR

W7, you definitely make a good point that a club in our position can't be expected to acquire the complete player. Townsend is young, and certainly has time to improve.

But a rumoured 8m (I'd imagine any accepted bid would certainly be over 5m) for a limited player who may improve? That seems risky for a club in our financial position. There was a poster who mentioned our lack of pace, we really don't. For wingers we have Hoilett, Phillips, Traore, Vargas who are all very quick. But, other than Vargas, they all have the same issue as Townsend that they're inconsistent and have little to no end-product.

I'd much rather see Phillips given an extended run in the team in the hope he can improve and establish himself as a good premier league winger than spend money on Townsend. He belongs to us, has all the components to be a good player and cost a few million too.

Plus, I have very little confidence that Townsend would actually improve at QPR.
Andros Townsend on 16:25 - Nov 28 with 527 viewshoof_hearted

Andros Townsend on 15:55 - Nov 28 by paulparker

the bloke is injury prone & has hardly played since that goal for England against Poland
it would be a terrible signing ,
wouldn't it be nice if we found players like Pelle , Tosic, Sakho, Valencia , Perez rather than the spurs treatment table ,

Damn you and your common sense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024