Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Games that were delayed 03:39 - Dec 14 with 3422 viewsWindsorHoopMan

They did a feature on 5 live this wee about games you went to that were delayed. The first thing I thought of was a game against charlton in the league cup in midweek in about 1987 , at selhurst park. The lights went out, we were on the terraces and it was pooring down with rain and then my mate from school got nicked which was proper rubish because we were only 15. Great night but got home t Marlow at 3 am and my mum wen mental cos is was a Wednesday . Lost 1 nil. Any one remember that one? But there

aren't many Rangers out there that can!
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 3:44]
Games that were delayed on 08:22 - Dec 14 with 3360 viewsthemodfather

was at the now famous cup game v west ham, when 1000s of them had dodgy tickets and they spilled onto the pitch, delaying the match by an hour?
we won 3-1, pizanti scored a memorable one.
i was in b block, SAR surrounded by cass and the ICF!
Games that were delayed on 08:44 - Dec 14 with 3334 viewsrbsranger

my Dad and I were at that one against Charlton... apparently it was 2 minutes away from being called off as lights went out for 18 minutes and 20 minutes was the cut off which would have been a blessing, we were terrible that night (imagine some of the away performances this season).
There was also the League Cup tie at home to Forest where the lights went out before K/O and they couldn't get them on and had to abandon the game before it started... I seem to remember winning the re-arranged game 3-1
Games that were delayed on 09:11 - Dec 14 with 3299 viewsstowmarketrange

Games that were delayed on 08:44 - Dec 14 by rbsranger

my Dad and I were at that one against Charlton... apparently it was 2 minutes away from being called off as lights went out for 18 minutes and 20 minutes was the cut off which would have been a blessing, we were terrible that night (imagine some of the away performances this season).
There was also the League Cup tie at home to Forest where the lights went out before K/O and they couldn't get them on and had to abandon the game before it started... I seem to remember winning the re-arranged game 3-1

Call for Charlie Howard.
That was what they kept saying on the tannoy.I guess he was the man with the screwdriver.I had to leave the rearranged game on about 88 mins with the score 1-1.i got to work in Stonebridge park and discovered Clough had been sent off and we won 3-1 in the last couple of mins.
Games that were delayed on 09:14 - Dec 14 with 3297 viewsHayesender

Nottingham Forest at home (1985 I think) in the league cup.

Two of the floodlights failed and we stood there for what seemed an age in the driving snow before the game was eventually called off

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Games that were delayed on 09:20 - Dec 14 with 3286 viewsexiled_dictator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/426092.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/278086.stm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/the-floodlights-went-out-ndash-and-an

It's, unsurprisingly, never an accident, and always about money.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Games that were delayed on 10:14 - Dec 14 with 3222 viewsloftboy

Games that were delayed on 09:11 - Dec 14 by stowmarketrange

Call for Charlie Howard.
That was what they kept saying on the tannoy.I guess he was the man with the screwdriver.I had to leave the rearranged game on about 88 mins with the score 1-1.i got to work in Stonebridge park and discovered Clough had been sent off and we won 3-1 in the last couple of mins.

It was davenport not clough

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Games that were delayed on 10:14 - Dec 14 with 3222 viewsStanisgod

I remember a game at Wembley that was delayed 90 minutes in 1986

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Games that were delayed on 10:15 - Dec 14 with 3218 viewsloftboy

Cardiff at home 2004 was delayed due to transport issues

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Games that were delayed on 10:42 - Dec 14 with 3182 viewsloftus77

Games that were delayed on 09:14 - Dec 14 by Hayesender

Two of the floodlights failed and we stood there for what seemed an age in the driving snow before the game was eventually called off

But they were going to be fixed "in 10 minutes!!" - felt really sorry for Ron Phillips that night.
Games that were delayed on 10:44 - Dec 14 with 3178 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Remember that when it was eventually called off the club issued what can only be described as a raffle ticket to everyone leaving the terraced areas. The bloke in SAR paddock couldn't tear them off quick enough and most of us only had half a ticket. Others went round a couple of times to get a few extras for the rearranged game.
Games that were delayed on 10:45 - Dec 14 with 3167 viewsHollowayRanger

that's the one I remember snowed as well and just before kick off both school end lights went out club called the electricity repairman 20 min wait another 20 mins while he checked another 30 mins while he waited for a part another 20 mins while he fixed it another 20 mins while he scratched his head as it didn't work another 20 min......

it was 9 pm before they called it off I was ruddy frozen solid, still the rearranged match was a classic

3-1 fenwicks pen given when robinson was tripped outside area forests clough scored late on only for byrne bainnster to win it for us at the death

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Games that were delayed on 10:56 - Dec 14 with 3155 viewsstowmarketrange

Games that were delayed on 10:14 - Dec 14 by loftboy

It was davenport not clough

I don't know as I'd left early.
Thanks for clearing it up.
Games that were delayed on 11:23 - Dec 14 with 3124 viewsHayesender

Games that were delayed on 10:45 - Dec 14 by HollowayRanger

that's the one I remember snowed as well and just before kick off both school end lights went out club called the electricity repairman 20 min wait another 20 mins while he checked another 30 mins while he waited for a part another 20 mins while he fixed it another 20 mins while he scratched his head as it didn't work another 20 min......

it was 9 pm before they called it off I was ruddy frozen solid, still the rearranged match was a classic

3-1 fenwicks pen given when robinson was tripped outside area forests clough scored late on only for byrne bainnster to win it for us at the death

Same year as the Ipswich game if memory serves.

The one up there went right off on and off the pitch, and in the replay hundreds of seats were ripped up in sa Rd and launched at the Ipswich fans

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Games that were delayed on 17:26 - Dec 14 with 3006 viewsYorkRanger

I was at the Charlton game and the Forest game. In fact I remember being huddles under an umbrella on the Holmsdale end , which was uncovered. My girlfriend (now Mrs York) was with me both nights - probably explains her reluctance to attend over subsequent years...
Games that were delayed on 17:49 - Dec 14 with 2986 viewssexton

The Forest match was the only one postponed while we had the plastic pitch, which of course was in part introduced to prevent postponements.
Games that were delayed on 23:29 - Dec 14 with 2837 viewsSydneyRs

Games that were delayed on 08:44 - Dec 14 by rbsranger

Yes I was there too and got nicked/thrown out by an idiot copper for "jumping, pushing and swearing" none of which I was doing and it was pitch black anyway so he couldn't have seen what was happening. I ended up getting back in and watching the rest of the game in the home terraces.A thoroughly miserable night!

I was also at the Forest one in the snow and the West Ham game. They turned out a bit better and the police left me alone!
Games that were delayed on 23:33 - Dec 14 with 2833 viewsSydneyRs

This topic should not pass without mention of the Man City anti Fulham merger demonstration.
Games that were delayed on 09:42 - Dec 15 with 2731 viewspaulparker

Was at the QPR vs Forest game bar Hull I went to all the milk cup games that year

the floodlights went as the players were warming up, it was fcuking freezing, pretty sure it was snowing , things I remember that night was a huge punch up at the back of what is now x block in the ER, my old man & me jumped over the seats and onto the pitch and walked past all of the players to get to the other side of the stand to get away from the off
I also recall the tannoy announcement saying the club were waiting for someone from the electric board to turn up
when the game was called off we were told that our tickets would be valid for the re arranged game
again I remember it was 1-1 until the last 5 minutes and my old man was having a right go at Barron to launch it up the pitch asap, which he did and we scored
missed the last goal as the old man always left with 5 minutes to go ( that always did my head in, gawd bless him )

was also at the City game with the protest, again I was with the old man so couldn't jump over the wall & onto the pitch,
does anyone remember the bloke who looked like a tramp who used to stand in the loft ??
I remember him wabbling on the pitch and my old man commenting that he was dossing there the night, memories are a bit vague but I do recall citys chequered draughts red & black kit, a bloke getting a standing ovation from the loft for kissing his scarf as he was getting nicked and shock of all shocks Mike fcking fillery actually scoring a goal

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Games that were delayed on 09:46 - Dec 15 with 2726 viewsNorthernr

One of our never-ending series of matches with Huddersfield in the late 1990s, possibly the FA Cup game where Hateley equalised late on, was held up for 10 minutes at the start of the second half because of hail stones. It was pretty biblical! We therefore missed the Hateley goal as we had to shoot off for our train back up north.
Games that were delayed on 11:02 - Dec 15 with 2701 viewsJuzzie

The ones I recall so far are;

QPR v May City (I was on the pitch!) - protest game

QPR v Liverpool - Boxing Day late 80's, delayed due to getting the crowd in.

QPR v West Ham - FA Cup game

QPR v Nottingham Forest - Milk Cup game where floodlights failed

QPR v Reading - Simod cup game (or whoever the sponsors were). Flash rainstorm, got soaked walking from White City tube to the ground, then it stopped. Sat in the upper Loft absolutely drenched. Game delayed half an hour or so to allow the pitch to drain. How I never got pneumonia I'll never know (strong genes, me)

There are others I'm sure. A few away games too but not sure.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2014 11:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024