Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton 11:16 - Dec 16 with 1802 viewsAntti_Heinola

This is pretty joyless after yet another defeat. How does Clive do it? But I must keep my fans* happy, I suppose...

1. Away Losses: Much has been made of the 'awfully unlucky' set of away games we've had since the season started, but in truth this is nonsense. You can't just go through a season assuming defeat or blaming defeat on the fact that you're playing teams placed higher in the league above you. It's ludicrous. And, of course, as bad as our away games have allegedly been, the fixtures have been incredibly kind to us at home. By January, we'll have played Palace, WBA, Villa, Burnley, Sunderland, Hull, Leicester, Stoke and Liverpool - in fact, everyone from 11th downwards. As much as our away form should, under certain theories, soon improve, our home form will be severely tested in the new year, when we play those dreaded 'in-form' teams we have no chance of beating away.

2. Jordon Mutch: Good to see him get a game and man does he need a run of games to show us what he can do. Set up a goal, and made the odd good tackle, and kept possession better than Barton - but then, who doesn't? I still don't really know his position - he doesn't seem to be a central midfielder in a four, and he's certainly not a winger. To me he also looks very wooden, very stiff - not necessarily a criticism, just an observation. But this point about his position leads onto point 3...

3. Formation and Transfers: Last night again demonstrated a recurring theme of the Knee Jerk: Just what was Redknapp playing at in the summer? Our entire, largely encouraging in terms of age etc (barring the obvious), summer spending spree, was aimed at a 3-5-2 or, possibly a 4-5-1. We have at least three full backs more comfortable as wing backs. We have a 'marquee' signing who only really works in a back 3, who is now our 4th choice centre back - a joke, as many predicted. We have numerous midfielders more suited to a midfield 3 (or 5) but are not really strong enough to play in a midfield 4 - Hoilett, Krancjar, Mutch, Fer, Phillips - arguably even Henry and Barton, given their lack of speed and zero possibility of them running past the striker(s) any time soon. This leads to stop-gap solutions like Zamora up front, which, while working well at home, is not really helping any kind of long term vision of how we're going to win games consistently and away from home is just a mess, every week. Redknapp says he's 'tried everything' in away games - but that's sort of the problem. Having 8 different plans ending in the same result is like having no plan at all.

4. Zamora: I have to praise Redknapp for still trying to salvage something by throwing BZ on, but at 3-0, even with Everton's jittery nature, I think I'd have saved his decrepit legs, knees, back and hips for Saturday. Congrats to him on scoring the first of his three strikes this season though.

5. Third goal: Dreadful all round. Well done everyone.

6. Hoilett: Opinion much divided on here with Junior. So let me tell you the truth - when opinion is this divided, the answer is in the middle. He's a decent player with talent who hasn't delivered on a regular basis, but also has never been picked in a regular position on a regular basis either, so it's a little tough to judge him too harshly. He's had too many injuries, but when he does play he adds pace and a bit of danger and I can't say I can fault his attitude or his work rate. Thought he did ok last night, but like Niko and Barton, his shooting is comically rubbish on the whole, while having the propensity to score the odd pearler. One more player in a squad rammed with them who is more useful as a sub, sadly.

*I am aware I have no fans.

Bare bones.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 18:09 - Dec 16 with 1648 viewsterryb

Thank you Antti.

No other comment. Too pi**ed off about it!
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 18:21 - Dec 16 with 1631 viewsTheBlob

Pretty good Antti.
Don't fret,they're serving up your favourite mince dinner at the 'ome tonight.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 22:50 - Dec 16 with 1567 viewsCiderwithRsie

Point 1. on your list has been worrying me for the last couple of weeks.

I only hope that a bit of self-confidence in the home form has been built up and conversely a bit of nervousness in visitors.

Point 3 is so true and will look even worse if Austin picks up an injury.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 11:24 - Dec 17 with 1469 viewsrichpr

2. Mutch had a nice stroll around Goodison Pk - I haven't seen the stats but he is going to retain the ball more often than not if he has about 3 touches a game. Barton, at least, attempts to get the ball back and he gets slaughtered by QPR fans for making 3 or 4 misplaced passes out of 40 and for making 5 fouls out of 25 tackles. I personally prefer someone who plays with some heart than a bystander (Mutch and Phillips)

3. Don't forget how we got done by Remy moving to Chelsea at the last minute. Redknapp has stated we need at least 1 extra upfront. With Remy we would have nicked a few away goals that might have got some points but alas not to be.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 12:18 - Dec 17 with 1434 viewsadhoc_qpr

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 11:24 - Dec 17 by richpr

2. Mutch had a nice stroll around Goodison Pk - I haven't seen the stats but he is going to retain the ball more often than not if he has about 3 touches a game. Barton, at least, attempts to get the ball back and he gets slaughtered by QPR fans for making 3 or 4 misplaced passes out of 40 and for making 5 fouls out of 25 tackles. I personally prefer someone who plays with some heart than a bystander (Mutch and Phillips)

3. Don't forget how we got done by Remy moving to Chelsea at the last minute. Redknapp has stated we need at least 1 extra upfront. With Remy we would have nicked a few away goals that might have got some points but alas not to be.

For 2. i'd rather a player do nothing than actively contribute for the oppo like Barton did! Gave away simple short passes all day long, leaving himself and the other midfielders caught out of position repeatedly. Made Barkley look like Messi at times (he isn't...).

3. Yes but everyone on here knew Remy would go as soon a bigger club missed their primary targets and needed a cheap alternative - well except TF and Harry it seems. Embarassing efforts to sign Borini (never interested) and Defoe (physically impossible to make happen) on deadline show we were completely caught napping...
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 13:29 - Dec 17 with 1374 viewsR_from_afar

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 11:24 - Dec 17 by richpr

Redknapp should've seen the Remy departure coming. Most of us expected it as Remy had made no secret of his desire to play in the Champions League. It's another example of Redknapp being lazy and ill prepared.

We need(ed) almost everything to go our way to achieve survival yet Redknapp chased rainbows on the striker front. Borini and Defoe were long shots, yet we had a glaring, urgent need for another front man. Even signing a Championship striker would've been a help.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 13:09 - Dec 18 with 1285 viewsTacticalR

On Point 1
'You can't just go through a season assuming defeat or blaming defeat on the fact that you're playing teams placed higher in the league above you. It's ludicrous.'

Is it that ludicrous? I remember we had a similar discussion in January of last season after we had played all the other teams in the division once. At that time we had only lost against the top teams in the division (Burnley and Leicester), and they eventually finished above us.
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/98812/our-current-

Obviously we'd all like to buck the statistics, and nobody actually wants to lose to anybody else.

Air hostess clique

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 18:09 - Dec 18 with 1205 viewsterryb

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 13:09 - Dec 18 by TacticalR

On Point 1
'You can't just go through a season assuming defeat or blaming defeat on the fact that you're playing teams placed higher in the league above you. It's ludicrous.'

Is it that ludicrous? I remember we had a similar discussion in January of last season after we had played all the other teams in the division once. At that time we had only lost against the top teams in the division (Burnley and Leicester), and they eventually finished above us.
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/98812/our-current-

Obviously we'd all like to buck the statistics, and nobody actually wants to lose to anybody else.

Well, it has to be ludicrous.

Otherwise, when you arrived in last position you would not expect to gain another point!

Havn't most sides in the top half lost this season to us lot at the bottom? I suspect that only C*****a are exempt from this.
Login to get fewer ads

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 19:32 - Dec 18 with 1159 viewsjohncharles

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 13:29 - Dec 17 by R_from_afar

Redknapp should've seen the Remy departure coming. Most of us expected it as Remy had made no secret of his desire to play in the Champions League. It's another example of Redknapp being lazy and ill prepared.

We need(ed) almost everything to go our way to achieve survival yet Redknapp chased rainbows on the striker front. Borini and Defoe were long shots, yet we had a glaring, urgent need for another front man. Even signing a Championship striker would've been a help.

RFA

Redknapp deserved the sack for it.
But no, lets wait until the end of January and he's had every chance to remedy the situation but has been found in the broom cupboard mumbling "Defoe, Defoe, my kingdom for Defoe"

Strong and stable my arse.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 20:08 - Dec 18 with 1146 viewsMatch82

"1. Away Losses: Much has been made of the 'awfully unlucky' set of away games we've had since the season started, but in truth this is nonsense. You can't just go through a season assuming defeat or blaming defeat on the fact that you're playing teams placed higher in the league above you. It's ludicrous. And, of course, as bad as our away games have allegedly been, the fixtures have been incredibly kind to us at home. By January, we'll have played Palace, WBA, Villa, Burnley, Sunderland, Hull, Leicester, Stoke and Liverpool - in fact, everyone from 11th downwards. As much as our away form should, under certain theories, soon improve, our home form will be severely tested in the new year, when we play those dreaded 'in-form' teams we have no chance of beating away. "

No arguments that our home set of games has been nearly as easy as our away games have been hard. But surely the likelihood of our home form reverting to average as opposition gets harder is exactly the same chance of our away form reverting to average as opposition gets harder?

I guess it depends on whether each of us has a glass-half-full or glass-half-empty way of looking at things
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 22:26 - Dec 18 with 1097 viewsCiderwithRsie

On Point 1

It's not ludicrous for any one game, but it becomes ludicrous when it is every single game for half a season or more. There's still only 11 players on the pitch per side, sooner or later the underdog should get a result.

It also becomes self-fulfilling: carry on like that and sure enough everyone *will* be higher placed in the league than you.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 22:49 - Dec 18 with 1079 viewsozexile

Very good analysis. When we play away we're like the players on a game of table football. No movement out of positions. No run from deep that might actually trouble a defence. We are so easy to play against. I would back any team in the first four divisions to beat us away.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 15:57 - Dec 19 with 1014 viewsMatch82

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 22:49 - Dec 18 by ozexile

Very good analysis. When we play away we're like the players on a game of table football. No movement out of positions. No run from deep that might actually trouble a defence. We are so easy to play against. I would back any team in the first four divisions to beat us away.

In the US, the table football ("foosball") teams have three goalkeepers each.
Any chance we have a legal case to petition the FA to let us do the same? Might mean we can actually pick up an away point (not 3 obviously, as we still wont score)
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 17:05 - Dec 19 with 987 viewsTacticalR

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 15:57 - Dec 19 by Match82

In the US, the table football ("foosball") teams have three goalkeepers each.
Any chance we have a legal case to petition the FA to let us do the same? Might mean we can actually pick up an away point (not 3 obviously, as we still wont score)

This could be a new development of 3 at the back.

Air hostess clique

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 17:40 - Dec 19 with 967 viewsAntti_Heinola

On Point 1

The excuse is ludicrous, yes, when taken over this many games. Yes, overall, you would expect to lose away games to teams above you - but not eight in a row. What I mean is - it's not a valid excuse over that number of games. One, yes. Two? Yes. Eight? No. It's ludicrous and frankly insulting to fans.

Bare bones.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 17:55 - Dec 19 with 961 viewsJamie

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 17:40 - Dec 19 by Antti_Heinola

The excuse is ludicrous, yes, when taken over this many games. Yes, overall, you would expect to lose away games to teams above you - but not eight in a row. What I mean is - it's not a valid excuse over that number of games. One, yes. Two? Yes. Eight? No. It's ludicrous and frankly insulting to fans.

Have a heart Antts, they've tried everything to get a point, they don't know what they need to do to actually get one.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 10:39 - Dec 20 with 905 viewsLoft1979

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Everton on 13:29 - Dec 17 by R_from_afar

RFA

Credit for writing this. A lot of good thoughts but several I don't agree with.
For example- Hoillett. Jr has had plenty of chances. His last display showcased why we love and hate him. He brought attack to the left, but no defense . He had great runs but missed chances.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2014 10:51]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024