Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
7 points next 4 games and 15:47 - Dec 16 with 4325 viewsPinnerPaul

we're on over a point a game.

No need to panic just yet
7 points next 4 games and on 12:09 - Dec 17 with 1394 viewsjohncharles

7 points next 4 games and on 11:50 - Dec 17 by Maggsinho

You'll drive yourself round the bend trying to predict every game like that.

Don't do predictions, just my opinion. Trying to shake some people out of their complacency.

Strong and stable my arse.

7 points next 4 games and on 12:15 - Dec 17 with 1396 viewsTheBlob

Don't worry,Crouchy will save us.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

7 points next 4 games and on 12:49 - Dec 17 with 1370 viewsdaveB

7 points next 4 games and on 12:09 - Dec 17 by johncharles

Don't do predictions, just my opinion. Trying to shake some people out of their complacency.

who is being complacent, I don't know anyone who thinks it's all going to be easy
7 points next 4 games and on 13:00 - Dec 17 with 1358 viewsDANRANGER

Sorry to add a classic cliché but this season has proven we should take each game as it comes. One week we are happy the next we are not. We have every chance of beating WBA and should we go about it the right way then I'd expect a win. Our players seem to put 150% (not possible I know) into home games and 50% into away games so I would expect us to have enough on Saturday and then we go to Arsenal in good spirits.

I agree we shouldn't pin all our hopes on our home form but if we are to stay up then 75% of our points are more than likely to come at home and we can just hope we manage to sneak a couple of wins away and a few draws.
7 points next 4 games and on 13:02 - Dec 17 with 1354 viewsdaveB

7 points next 4 games and on 12:01 - Dec 17 by Hunterhoop

Pinner, one man's "pessimistic" outlook is another man's "realistic" outlook. You're wrong to say a pessimism reigns supreme. I think realism reigns, with certain people falling into the pessimistic and optimistic camps, you being one.

Realistically, we absolutely can stay up. There is no need to "panic", but we have serious flaws and are in the relegation zone with important games coming up and no real sign of picking points up away from home. The bookies are the best indication of what we're likely to do. I don't think it's pessimistic to think, which most of us do, that we can stay up, may well stay up, but may well go down if things continue as they are. 1 point a game probably won't keep us up.

Holloway, good post. A bit of realism here. Those remaining home games are tough. Swansea at home is as tough as the rest. They're good. Out of those 12 games, there are only 2 we "should" win. Obviously we "can" win them all. But realistically, we're looking at, what 5 wins?? WBA, Palace, one of the big guns, West Ham, Newcastle?? You can cut it how you like. It's 15 points, plus, say, 4 draws (and only three losses), means 19 points. That puts us on 33, meaning 7 away points required for safety, with everyone being so tightly bunched.

That doesn't sound too much: 1 win and 6 draws away or 2 wins and one draw. Perfectly achievable.

However, fail to beat Palace or WBA, and, "realistically" we suddenly need to find those points away from home. 7 points becomes anything from 9-13 points we'll need away in the new year. That's a different kettle of fish.

WBA and Palace are rightly being called crucial games. They are, when you objectively analyse the fixtures, and points, the pivotal moment of the season. Win both and I think we'll survive (and I think the bookies will agree). Fail to win both and I think we'll go down (and I think you'll find our odds showing the same). Fail to win one and I think the Burnley game becomes the pivotal moment, which if we fail to win (not draw), we're back to being very unlikely to survive.

I think by after Burnley the writing will be very much on the wall.

on the plus side we are just 3 points off the total Warnock had when he got the boot having played several games less so if we do manage to have a good christmas say get 6 or 7 points from the 3 home games then I think we're in a decent position, better than I expected us to be in after West ham away anyway with plenty we can improve on still.

It's all guess work though, if we get to 38 points I think we'll be ok
7 points next 4 games and on 13:23 - Dec 17 with 1336 viewsR_from_afar

I agree with you that there is no need to panic but as a club - fans, players, management - we need to ditch this "It's all about our home games" mentality. If we don't, we are down.

Mathematically, we probably could stay up through home points alone but that would require sensational home form; 35 points might be enough this year but that means we need *a minimum* of five home wins (five wins and six draws) and realistically, that is not going to happen.

I do think we can get some away points, but then we really have to. We conceded two fluky goals against Everton and were set up OK (apart from Barton playing when it should've been Henry). The squad is decent, we probably only lack a striker, and we are not cut adrift and the team spirit must be good if we can achieve what we have in our home games.

So I am hopeful but we must be positive in our away games because our home form will not keep us up and we must get a fit (note, fit, not crocked or unfit or both) striker in January, no ifs, no buts. Making our finishing more clinical would also be a massive help and an outright ban on short corners would also have a positive impact. I cannot remember when a QPR short corner last led to a goal for us as opposed to the opposition!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

7 points next 4 games and on 14:32 - Dec 17 with 1301 viewsHunterhoop

7 points next 4 games and on 13:02 - Dec 17 by daveB

on the plus side we are just 3 points off the total Warnock had when he got the boot having played several games less so if we do manage to have a good christmas say get 6 or 7 points from the 3 home games then I think we're in a decent position, better than I expected us to be in after West ham away anyway with plenty we can improve on still.

It's all guess work though, if we get to 38 points I think we'll be ok

Agree, win the next two home games and we'll definitely be in a better position than I expected post West Ham.

We may stay up with 38, but 40 is the traditional "safety target", so still think it's worth working to that, especially as this year there are fewer teams at the top picking up lots of points, which means teams in the bottom half must be doing better than usual. For this reason, I'm not sure how relevant Warnock's points total is. In a league (Chelsea and City apart) where everyone is beating everyone, you usually require more points to stay up than if 3 or 4 sides are winning week in week out.

Like I said, win the next two and I think we'll be fine too. Fail to win both and I think we'll be in trouble. Hence, it's realistic to say the next two home games are bloody important.
7 points next 4 games and on 19:26 - Dec 17 with 1245 viewsHollowayRanger

7 points next 4 games and on 07:40 - Dec 17 by CroydonCaptJack

Blimey Hollaway I hope you are wrong there! Swansea will be our last home victory!

not exactly easy home games after that ,but also lots of away games against weaker teams but teams we daren't lose against!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Login to get fewer ads

7 points next 4 games and on 20:41 - Dec 17 with 1229 viewsjohncharles

7 points next 4 games and on 14:32 - Dec 17 by Hunterhoop

Agree, win the next two home games and we'll definitely be in a better position than I expected post West Ham.

We may stay up with 38, but 40 is the traditional "safety target", so still think it's worth working to that, especially as this year there are fewer teams at the top picking up lots of points, which means teams in the bottom half must be doing better than usual. For this reason, I'm not sure how relevant Warnock's points total is. In a league (Chelsea and City apart) where everyone is beating everyone, you usually require more points to stay up than if 3 or 4 sides are winning week in week out.

Like I said, win the next two and I think we'll be fine too. Fail to win both and I think we'll be in trouble. Hence, it's realistic to say the next two home games are bloody important.

C'mon Hunter, this is just wishful thinking. Win the next two ? Have you told West Brom and Palace ?

7 points next 4 games and on 00:26 - Dec 18 with 1198 viewsHunterhoop

7 points next 4 games and on 20:41 - Dec 17 by johncharles

C'mon Hunter, this is just wishful thinking. Win the next two ? Have you told West Brom and Palace ?

Mate, do I think we'll win the next two is a different qn! The answer is no. I think we'll beat the Baggies and draw with Palace. I think we'll lose to the Arse, and draw with the Swans.

This will give us 5 points from 4 games. We'll have 19 points from 20 going up to Burnley. If we then win that game, we're ahead of the wave. Lose, we're in big trouble. Draw....it's up in the air.

These next 5 games make or break the season in my book. And, yes, there are many many people (many available people) I'd rather have managing the club that Redknapp et al, but so be it; it's what we've got.

I know someone will say 19 points from 21 games isn't that bad, but I'd say, look at the fixtures left after this! We'd need 20-21 from 17 and look at out home games...
7 points next 4 games and on 08:20 - Dec 18 with 1170 viewsjohncharles

7 points next 4 games and on 00:26 - Dec 18 by Hunterhoop

Mate, do I think we'll win the next two is a different qn! The answer is no. I think we'll beat the Baggies and draw with Palace. I think we'll lose to the Arse, and draw with the Swans.

This will give us 5 points from 4 games. We'll have 19 points from 20 going up to Burnley. If we then win that game, we're ahead of the wave. Lose, we're in big trouble. Draw....it's up in the air.

These next 5 games make or break the season in my book. And, yes, there are many many people (many available people) I'd rather have managing the club that Redknapp et al, but so be it; it's what we've got.

I know someone will say 19 points from 21 games isn't that bad, but I'd say, look at the fixtures left after this! We'd need 20-21 from 17 and look at out home games...

Got to agree with that. I thought that's what I said anyway

7 points next 4 games and on 20:51 - Dec 18 with 1122 viewsDylanP

7 points next 4 games and on 21:02 - Dec 16 by johncharles

That's rubbish. We're as good as down. The only option we have is to sack Redknapp' and get in Pulis.
But no, let's lose another couple of games and make sure we're fcuked before we give someone else a chance.
Like yesterday, let's wait until we are 3 - 0 down before we bring on another striker.
Please don't give me that wait and see crap.

What utter rubbish!

"As good as down" -- grow a backbone!! What did you think was going to happen this year? Did you think we were going to return to the Premiership as conquoring heros and all the other teams were going to lay down at our feet?

This was always going to be a hard season. Nobody made any bones about that. This is what it means to be a hard slog. It means that you are losing games and playing poorly and team not gelling and personnel issues.

The goal this season was survival and we aren't too far off survival. The goal this season was 17th place. We are one point off that with almost 70 points still to play for. You are giving up hope over one point? Could you chuck in the towel any quicker?!!?!!?!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

7 points next 4 games and on 09:08 - Dec 19 with 1061 viewsPinnerPaul

7 points next 4 games and on 20:51 - Dec 18 by DylanP

What utter rubbish!

"As good as down" -- grow a backbone!! What did you think was going to happen this year? Did you think we were going to return to the Premiership as conquoring heros and all the other teams were going to lay down at our feet?

This was always going to be a hard season. Nobody made any bones about that. This is what it means to be a hard slog. It means that you are losing games and playing poorly and team not gelling and personnel issues.

The goal this season was survival and we aren't too far off survival. The goal this season was 17th place. We are one point off that with almost 70 points still to play for. You are giving up hope over one point? Could you chuck in the towel any quicker?!!?!!?!

If we survive, its a success for Harry and some can't stomach that thought.
7 points next 4 games and on 09:54 - Dec 19 with 1043 viewsCFW

7 points next 4 games and on 20:41 - Dec 17 by johncharles

Dear John - or whatever your name is - I respect that everyone has the right to his or her opinion on the manager, team selection or anything else to do with our team and is quite within their rights to air their views on this forum.

However, I for one, am getting a bit fed up with your negative posts - in fact not sure I have ever read a positive one from you. You clearly dislike our Manager, Chairman and most other people associated with our club. Again that is your total right but why do you always have to be so down on our team. Perhaps you could try, just for once to be positive and supportive. We always knew this season would be tough and there would be good and bad days but at this moment in time HR is our manager and I along with the majority of other people on this forum are here to support our Manager, Chairman and team in good times and bad.

Merry Christmas.
7 points next 4 games and on 10:37 - Dec 19 with 1010 viewsjohncharles

7 points next 4 games and on 09:54 - Dec 19 by CFW

Dear John - or whatever your name is - I respect that everyone has the right to his or her opinion on the manager, team selection or anything else to do with our team and is quite within their rights to air their views on this forum.

However, I for one, am getting a bit fed up with your negative posts - in fact not sure I have ever read a positive one from you. You clearly dislike our Manager, Chairman and most other people associated with our club. Again that is your total right but why do you always have to be so down on our team. Perhaps you could try, just for once to be positive and supportive. We always knew this season would be tough and there would be good and bad days but at this moment in time HR is our manager and I along with the majority of other people on this forum are here to support our Manager, Chairman and team in good times and bad.

Merry Christmas.

I've never said a word against Tony Fernandes.
I've had a season ticket since the year dot. I'm not down the TEAM, I'll be there tomorrow supporting my team. I've had some great times in the last 40 years.
You'll have to look hard to find any personal insults I've made against Redknapp but I admit to not liking him. My main complaint is that he is a charlatan. He masquerades as a top class manager which he clearly is not. He's very highly paid and has been given a huge fortune to spend on transfers and we've been in the bottom three for most of his reign. You keep telling me success is just round the corner.
Pie in sky.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2014 10:41]

7 points next 4 games and on 10:59 - Dec 19 with 994 viewsJonDoeman

7 points next 4 games and on 09:08 - Dec 19 by PinnerPaul

If we survive, its a success for Harry and some can't stomach that thought.

Another one!

It Is What It Is !!

7 points next 4 games and on 11:00 - Dec 19 with 987 viewsPinnerPaul

7 points next 4 games and on 10:59 - Dec 19 by JonDoeman

Another one!

Another what?

You've lost me there Jon!
7 points next 4 games and on 11:06 - Dec 19 with 982 viewsJonDoeman

7 points next 4 games and on 11:00 - Dec 19 by PinnerPaul

Another what?

You've lost me there Jon!

Another success Paul ! Promotion , hopefully consolidation this seaon, & then retirement . He'll go down as a good QPR manager , whether the message board experts like it or not!

It Is What It Is !!

7 points next 4 games and on 11:07 - Dec 19 with 980 viewsPinnerPaul

7 points next 4 games and on 11:06 - Dec 19 by JonDoeman

Another success Paul ! Promotion , hopefully consolidation this seaon, & then retirement . He'll go down as a good QPR manager , whether the message board experts like it or not!

Ah I see

Yes agree!
7 points next 4 games and on 11:27 - Dec 19 with 970 viewsdaveB

The warnock comparison was just because we stayed up that season and fixtures were similar in that we had a tougher second half of the season at home. The fact no one is really cut adrift at the moment probably indicates it will be a higher points total than usual this year to stay up but if we get to 38 we'll be unlucky to go down
7 points next 4 games and on 12:57 - Dec 19 with 942 viewsR_from_afar

Doing a very basic calculation based on the current survival points tally, 36 will be enough. That still feels like a very long way off, perhaps because it is!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

7 points next 4 games and on 13:12 - Dec 19 with 934 viewsfrancisbowles

7 points next 4 games and on 11:27 - Dec 19 by daveB

The warnock comparison was just because we stayed up that season and fixtures were similar in that we had a tougher second half of the season at home. The fact no one is really cut adrift at the moment probably indicates it will be a higher points total than usual this year to stay up but if we get to 38 we'll be unlucky to go down

The Warnock comparison is a valid one. If we are ahead of that total after Christmas we have a chance.
After Warnock left, we lost 'must win' away games, Bolton and Blackburn from memory. I thought we were definitely going down. We compounded it by losing at home to Wolves and Cisse missing seven games through red cards.
Then we had that phenominal run at home mainly against 'big' teams. The end of that season was a bit like the beginning of this winning at home losing away!
7 points next 4 games and on 13:39 - Dec 19 with 907 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I just had a look at this on a wonderful site called statto.com. You can get the tables as they were at any time in the season. In that season after 16 games the bottom three had 13,10 and 9 points respectively compared to 14,13 and ten now so not too different which surprised me. Bolton were bottom with 9 yet they nearly survived (but thankfully didn't!) We survived on 37 points that season. We only had 17 points after 21 games though so a win tomorrow would level that four games earlier.
7 points next 4 games and on 15:08 - Dec 19 with 864 viewsHunterhoop

7 points next 4 games and on 13:39 - Dec 19 by CroydonCaptJack

I just had a look at this on a wonderful site called statto.com. You can get the tables as they were at any time in the season. In that season after 16 games the bottom three had 13,10 and 9 points respectively compared to 14,13 and ten now so not too different which surprised me. Bolton were bottom with 9 yet they nearly survived (but thankfully didn't!) We survived on 37 points that season. We only had 17 points after 21 games though so a win tomorrow would level that four games earlier.

Yeah, but 1 point more for safety after 16 games extrapolates out to be 2.3 points over the season. Turning us surviving on 37 to needing to be 39.

Also, as is evidently the case this season, few teams are tearing the league up and the gap between bottom and 10th or 4th is narrower than usual. This lends to the view that survival will be a higher figure that usual. Hence 39 potentially becoming 40....

We're not disagreeing much. I just think the next few games are genuinely crucial, especially looking at fixtures to come, which are clearly different to the Warnock season. Add in my evaluation, supported by your data from that season, that we'll need 40 points to be sure of being safe, and 5 points from the next 4 games makes the Burnley game the tipping point. Of course, win the next two and I think it's highly likely we'll stay up.

Don't feel I'm being negative or positive, just undertaking a realistic analysis of the position we're in.
7 points next 4 games and on 15:29 - Dec 19 with 847 viewsDylanP

7 points next 4 games and on 10:37 - Dec 19 by johncharles

I've never said a word against Tony Fernandes.
I've had a season ticket since the year dot. I'm not down the TEAM, I'll be there tomorrow supporting my team. I've had some great times in the last 40 years.
You'll have to look hard to find any personal insults I've made against Redknapp but I admit to not liking him. My main complaint is that he is a charlatan. He masquerades as a top class manager which he clearly is not. He's very highly paid and has been given a huge fortune to spend on transfers and we've been in the bottom three for most of his reign. You keep telling me success is just round the corner.
Pie in sky.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2014 10:41]

A charlatan? How is he a charlatan. He is doing the best he can. Sometimes that is good and sometimes it isn't. When I go to work, sometimes things go my way and sometimes they don't. If they don't, that doesn't make me a charlatan. I'm doing my best. Maybe he is not as good as people made out. But that is not his fault that the expectations weren't realistic. When I go to a job interview, I don't talk about my failures, I talk about my successes. If I take a really well paying job that I am not really qualified for, that is the mistake of the person who hired me, not my mistake.

As I have mentioned, I am not a fan of 'arry. He drives me up the wall at times. But he is our manager. Firing him mid-season more-or-less guarantees relegation, so we are stuck with him and have to hope that the team can pull through. OK, it doesn't "guarantee" anything, but it is such a huge risk, that only an absolute fool would take that risk or advocate for that risk. Right now things simply aren't nearly desperate enough to be arguing for us jumping off the cliff. We are one point from survival. If we were 10 points adrift at the bottom, then things would be different. But we are not. We are one point from where we want to be.

When you fire a manager and bring in someone new, he brings his own players in and we have two teams, the old managers team and the new managers team. Inevitably we have lots of players on large wages not being used because they don't fit into the new manager's scheme. Plus there are huge expenses involved with paying off the old manager. Then there is the dressing room chaos caused by the split loyalties and the them vs us or the new guys and the old guys. All that leads to turmoil. Now, it is true, that sometimes that sort of shock can jolt players out of complacency and light a fire under a team. But that is not what usually happens. What usually happens is the chaos leads to worsening performances in the short term and ultimately the inevitable relegation followed by a yea or so of rebuilding. why would you risk all that -- we cannot afford the extra expenses and we would certainly be a lot worse off if we were relegated.

The alternative, is to get behind the lad, the manager and the chairman and lend your voice to lifting the team up rather than tearing them down (even if it is only a tiny tiny contribution either way, it all counts).

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024