Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 21:40 - Dec 17 with 10208 viewssaxbend

I realise the year's not over yet, and I'll probably make one or two more trips to the cinema before the end of 2014, but I've seen pretty much every film I have been anticipating so I am more or less settled on the best and worst of the year.

My top ten are as follows:

10. Muppets Most Wanted
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Calvary
7. Edge of Tomorrow
6. Gone Girl
5. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
4. Grand Budapest Hotel
3. The Lego Movie
2. Haider
1. Nightcrawler

Honorable mentions to:
Before I Go To Sleep (I don't want to lazily write it off as forgettable but I only remember that I enjoyed it at the time, and not very much more).
Interstellar (flawed but excellent nonetheless and a massive improvement on the highly over rated 2001: A Space Odyssey which is carried by one or two scenes with HAL and has little more than that to offer).
Starred Up (entertaining and well made, but gritty and unambitious).
St Vincent (I saw it last weekend and laughed a lot).
X-Men Days of Future Past. (Nothing like as bad as I thought it would be and an excellent way to do a handover from an old cast to a new cast in a film series. Take note, Star Trek Generations.)

I see a lot of films, but I'm usually pretty good at avoiding the bad ones altogether. I did see one or two on a whim that turned out to be rubbish, and some others that should have been good but just weren't.

They include:
The Nut Job (just a really sub-par animated film that was neither funny nor interesting)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (really badly written and such a poor follow up to the previous one- though it seems most people dismissed the first one as ordinary but loved this)
Amazing Spiderman 2. (Ruined by bad storytelling, bad dialogue and weak characters. Basically the writers droppped the ball.)
Postman Pat (How did they manage to get Postman Pat wrong???)
Godzilla ( despite being fine with the slow buildup, I struggled to stay awake during the eventual climactic action seens. Just a reall dull film all round).

I'm not including 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club (both excellent) or the absolutely awful The Wolf of Wall Street as many people consider them to be 2013 films.
Over to you.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 16:24 - Dec 18 with 3200 viewsMonahoop

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 22:40 - Dec 17 by BrianMcCarthy

1. Boyhood
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
3. Two Days, One Night

Calvary was good, too.
Yet to see Nightcrawler.

Grand Budapest Hotel. Good choice. I thought it weird at first, but the more I got into the film the more I enjoyed it. Would be worth a second peek again sometime.
Enjoyed Philomena.

Steer clear of most sequel films. Lazy film making/writing.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 16:40 - Dec 18 with 3168 viewsonlyrinmoray

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 13:54 - Dec 18 by headhoops

best by miles - I've seen it 35 times and every time I still have to be taken to A&E to have my sides sewn back up.

That woman looks like a man
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 19:42 - Dec 18 with 3109 viewsHantsR

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 11:50 - Dec 18 by HantsR

Boyhood and Gone Girl were the best I saw at the cinema. I didn't rave about Pride as some folks did - was also a bit disappointed with Northern Soul.

As another poster mentioned, Marvellous with Toby Jones as Neil Baldwin was just superb.

Oh, last film I saw was Mr Turner - superb by Timothy Spall although admittedly, all he had to do was grunt!
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 20:37 - Dec 18 with 3093 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

I know this is out of bounds re the year of manufacture, but this movie left a lasting impression on me and I feel it somewhat epitomises the very best of indie film making and storytelling, something Hollywood could learn from

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1580021/
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 21:32 - Dec 18 with 3064 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Looking forward to '71. Thanks for the reminders.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 17:35 - Dec 19 with 2950 viewsPunteR

Starred Up.A british classic.
Dawn of the planet of the apes continued a brilliant original story line.
I loved Guardians of the Galaxy. I cant remember a film ive enjoyed so much at the cinema.
A very funny film,loads of fun, slick action,and a bit of 80's nostalga thrown in. Great sci fi .
Edge of Tomorrow was basically Groundhog day but still pretty cool and i enjoyed Oblivion, both are good sci fi films . Im not a fan of Tom Cruise but these films stood out for me this year.

I had a headache after watching Lego movie.
Godzilla. The trailer was better then the film.
Spiderman 2 was dire.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2014 0:16]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 17:38 - Dec 19 with 2947 viewsJamie

Grand Budaest Hotel & Dallas Buyers Club were both great.

Nightcrawler & Gone Girl biggest disappointments. Both ruined by laughable endings.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 22:49 - Dec 19 with 2908 viewsradfords

Another shout for Marvellous which was well named.
Login to get fewer ads

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 00:16 - Dec 20 with 2886 viewsTrance_Trousers

Caught "71" tonight, not all that imo. Although the little lad in it stole the show.

Once you`ve had black you never go back.........

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 09:05 - Dec 20 with 2853 viewsquickpassrotter

Went and saw Night at the Museum 3 at Westfield Vue yesterday.
Don't bother. Franchise is past its sell by date. They had run out of ideas. Shame because I liked the previous two.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 09:21 - Dec 20 with 2839 viewsPommyhoop

Gonna repeat Hoop_Du_Jour's advice to have a look at Blue Ruin.
I got my eldest and her boyfriend to watch it and I lingered about and watched it again..
Great film..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 17:54 - Jan 6 with 2761 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Just watched Whiplash and it blew me away. What an outstandingly intense piece of moviemaking. Utterly brilliant! In my own opinion natch...

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 19:32 - Jan 6 with 2711 viewssaxbend

Still waiting to see Whiplash and one or two others. Saw Birdman at the weekend. It is excellent.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 19:35 - Jan 6 with 2706 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 19:32 - Jan 6 by saxbend

Still waiting to see Whiplash and one or two others. Saw Birdman at the weekend. It is excellent.

You'll have to put some socks on for this one lad, otherwise it'll blow your feet off!
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 01:20 - Jan 14 with 2587 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just watched Starred Up. Very well acted, and the director does a good job building tension. Recommended.

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 10:19 - Jan 14 with 2509 viewsDiscodroids

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 01:20 - Jan 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Just watched Starred Up. Very well acted, and the director does a good job building tension. Recommended.

saw it yesterday bri, not quite as good as 'scum' but a good film of its kind.

the mrs had to put on the sub titles as she couldnt understand the patios and cockney lingo.

i wouldnt mind but she comes from chigwell not bleedin downton abby.

reminds me off my mun who answers the phone at her guest house in frinton in clipped 'margo' from 'the good life' tones ..she comes from canning town!
[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 10:23]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 10:35 - Jan 14 with 2502 viewsade_qpr

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 17:54 - Jan 6 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Just watched Whiplash and it blew me away. What an outstandingly intense piece of moviemaking. Utterly brilliant! In my own opinion natch...

Fully agree HDJ didn't know anything about it but did enjoy immensely

Couple of others not listed so far from memory I found good value
The Imitation Game - very good
The Drop
The Equalizer
Fury
Journey to Le Mans

on the Debit side
Girl Gone had me interested to the end, but sadly boy it was a pathetic finish

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 11:13 - Jan 14 with 2481 viewsPommyhoop

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 10:35 - Jan 14 by ade_qpr

Fully agree HDJ didn't know anything about it but did enjoy immensely

Couple of others not listed so far from memory I found good value
The Imitation Game - very good
The Drop
The Equalizer
Fury
Journey to Le Mans

on the Debit side
Girl Gone had me interested to the end, but sadly boy it was a pathetic finish

Great thread this
Ade ,I just watched the trailer of The Imitation Game.
Cracking of the Enigma Code.
Looks blinding but bound to fail in Hollywood.
They've already been told it was down to a good looking chap from Texas.

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 11:25 - Jan 14 with 2462 viewsbob566

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 19:32 - Jan 6 by saxbend

haven't seen it but a colleague in work went and said that it split opinion. Loads of people walked out of the cinema and then those that stayed alot of them gave it a round of applauds.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 11:28 - Jan 14 with 2457 views1BobbyHazell

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 01:20 - Jan 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Tense is definitely the word, good film.

I recently enjoyed The Skeleton Twins, won't be everyone's cup of tea but having seen a few recommendations of yours previously I reckon you'll like it Brian.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 11:42 - Jan 14 with 2446 viewsBrianMcCarthy

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 11:28 - Jan 14 by 1BobbyHazell

Tense is definitely the word, good film.

I recently enjoyed The Skeleton Twins, won't be everyone's cup of tea but having seen a few recommendations of yours previously I reckon you'll like it Brian.

Great. Thanks Bobby - will check it out.

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 18:15 - Jan 14 with 2398 viewsPunteR

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 11:42 - Jan 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Great. Thanks Bobby - will check it out.

I watched The Guard with Brendan Gleeson the other night,a few years old now but what a great film. on par with In Brudges.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 19:40 - Jan 14 with 2376 viewsJalfrezi_Rs

Best: The Fury - really powerful, albeit a cheesy ending, but jesus it makes you think

Worst: Night at the Museum 3 - was close to poking my eyes out with pieces of popcorn and jelly beans
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 20:04 - Jan 14 with 2360 viewsPhildo

I am sitting at home feeling sorry for myself with flu this last couple of days but sat and watched Marley the documentary about the great man today and I have to say it was great - it is a couple of years old I think but strongly recommend it
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 20:12 - Jan 14 with 2349 viewsPommyhoop

OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 20:04 - Jan 14 by Phildo

I am sitting at home feeling sorry for myself with flu this last couple of days but sat and watched Marley the documentary about the great man today and I have to say it was great - it is a couple of years old I think but strongly recommend it

Marley .great film.
It was really sad when he died.
Some funny bits in it tho.It was funny when he did a big turd in the sea on the dog beach.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024